Thread: Loose Skin?

The718 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) The718 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) The718 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) The718 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) The718 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) The718 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) The718 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) The718 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) The718 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) The718 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) The718 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Loose Skin?

Hey guys,

A little bit of background. I used to weight over 300lbs about 2 years ago and have been cutting ever since. Now I'm down to 182lbs and Omron electronic body fat analyzer has my bf% around 15%. I was wondering is the area around my stomach and chest loose skin? I think its body fat but my family insists its loose skin and want me to stop cutting. Also what can I do to get rid of my gut and get my chest flat?

Last edited by The718; 07-22-2009 at 05:03 AM.

BRH has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BRH has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BRH has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BRH has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BRH has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BRH has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BRH has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BRH has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BRH has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BRH has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BRH has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Looks like loose skin to me....... you do not have a high body fat % or a lot of muscle mass and so if you keep cutting you are going to be underweight before long. Besides which I doubt any amount of cutting will improve that excess skin, especially on your chest area.

IMHO I think you are looking at having a gynecomastia surgery and a tummy tuck to get rid of the skin........... I know that is depressing but if I were you I would be proud to have lost the weight and also pleased to get away without having excess skin on the arms or legs too.
    Start 28th August 2014 = 291 lb.

Dec 1st to Feb 28th cut:
    Dec 1 = 266.5.
    Feb 28 goal = 248

ives will become famous soon enough. (+50) ives will become famous soon enough. (+50) ives will become famous soon enough. (+50) ives will become famous soon enough. (+50) ives will become famous soon enough. (+50) ives will become famous soon enough. (+50) ives will become famous soon enough. (+50) ives will become famous soon enough. (+50) ives will become famous soon enough. (+50) ives will become famous soon enough. (+50) ives will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    That looks like loose skin to me, especially on the chest. 182 on 6'2" is a decent weight; cut any more and you might look scrawny.

Losing over 100 pounds in 2 years is a monumental accomplishment... that's FAST! It's entirely possible that your skin will tighten further over time. I would recommend building some muscle: it will show really well on your arms as they look quite lean, and it might fill out the loose skin over your pecs a bit. If things are still looking a little baggy in a couple years, you may need to consider plastic surgery to remove some excess.

I would also recc avoiding UV exposure without sunscreen. You don't want to be doing anything that compromise your skin's ability to bounce back, and UV definitely breaks down skin's elasticity.
    Sketchy Dude Outside Museum: "Yo, I'm selling candy for my basketball team..."
    Boyfriend: "No thanks, dude."
    SDOM: "You sure you don't want one for the pretty lady?"
    Ives: "The pretty lady doesn't eat candy. That's how she got so pretty."

glen666 is on a distinguished road. (+10) glen666 is on a distinguished road. (+10) glen666 is on a distinguished road. (+10) glen666 is on a distinguished road. (+10) glen666 is on a distinguished road. (+10) glen666 is on a distinguished road. (+10) glen666 is on a distinguished road. (+10) glen666 is on a distinguished road. (+10) glen666 is on a distinguished road. (+10) glen666 is on a distinguished road. (+10) glen666 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Well done for the weight loss thats amazing work there.

The loose skin looks kinda bad the only way to fix it would be to gain muscle back to replace the lost fat or to operate.

I would guess some would natrually go back in time but I doubt this would be 100%.

nuthin but a gbone thang gbone74's Avatar
    gbone74 is just really nice. (+1000) gbone74 is just really nice. (+1000) gbone74 is just really nice. (+1000) gbone74 is just really nice. (+1000) gbone74 is just really nice. (+1000) gbone74 is just really nice. (+1000) gbone74 is just really nice. (+1000) gbone74 is just really nice. (+1000) gbone74 is just really nice. (+1000) gbone74 is just really nice. (+1000) gbone74 is just really nice. (+1000)
    IMO surgery is the only way bro Im in for a tummy tuck in a few months my stomach is worse than yours but I got away with the gyno,no amount of cutting is going to help you how can that chest skin suddenly pull itself back up to where its supposed to be.Once you have had the surgery you can start adding some muscle and getting where you want to be youve done your part with the massive weight loss, sometimes if weve been too fat there is just no way of avoiding it,

The problem you have is you will be cutting to nothing as you are not built and because of the skin you will still look saggy if you add muscle the skin will still be there as well its a pain in the arse man a lot of us are going through it
    Last edited by gbone74; 07-22-2009 at 05:43 AM.
    You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

David Brent: 'If you want the rainbow, you got to put up with the rain'. Do you know which philosopher
    said that? Dolly Parton. And people say she's just a big pair of tits.

4th jun 2008-342lbs
    21st may 2009-186lbs

gse123 is on a distinguished road. (+10) gse123 is on a distinguished road. (+10) gse123 is on a distinguished road. (+10) gse123 is on a distinguished road. (+10) gse123 is on a distinguished road. (+10) gse123 is on a distinguished road. (+10) gse123 is on a distinguished road. (+10) gse123 is on a distinguished road. (+10) gse123 is on a distinguished road. (+10) gse123 is on a distinguished road. (+10) gse123 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Def loose skin, which like the others said in all honesty will almost certainly require surgery at some point to rectify. But can I just say, what an amazing job you have done - congratulations on your fantastic weight loss!

The718 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) The718 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) The718 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) The718 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) The718 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) The718 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) The718 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) The718 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) The718 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) The718 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) The718 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Thanks for the replies everyone and the kind words. I was hoping it wasn't loose skin, kinda depressing knowing I may have to go under the knife at some point.

hodag1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) hodag1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) hodag1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) hodag1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) hodag1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) hodag1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) hodag1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) hodag1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) hodag1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) hodag1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) hodag1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    The correct BF% for you to have is the one you are happy with. Essential fat for males is 3% so you can go much lower if you want to. Only you can decide when and where to stop. The guideline ranges are 14 to 17 for "fit" and 6 to 13 for "athlete". Nothing wrong with your 15% unless you want to get down to athlete range!

As for your skin, this depends a lot on your genes. All living tissues in the body remodel over time, and each cycle takes about 4 months. You will need to give it several cycles to get an idea of how it will work for you. Some people will have great results and will look entirely normal, while some will need plastic surgery. At your age, you have a decent chance at good results.
    May 31 WT: 227.6 BF%: 33.2%
    June 28 WT: 216.2 BF%: 32.0%
    July 26 WT: 207.6 BF%: 30.2%
    Aug 30 WT: 199.8 BF%: 28.7%

Goal WT: 155 BF%: 10.0%

glen666 is on a distinguished road. (+10) glen666 is on a distinguished road. (+10) glen666 is on a distinguished road. (+10) glen666 is on a distinguished road. (+10) glen666 is on a distinguished road. (+10) glen666 is on a distinguished road. (+10) glen666 is on a distinguished road. (+10) glen666 is on a distinguished road. (+10) glen666 is on a distinguished road. (+10) glen666 is on a distinguished road. (+10) glen666 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by The718 View Post
    Thanks for the replies everyone and the kind words. I was hoping it wasn't loose skin, kinda depressing knowing I may have to go under the knife at some point.
    I just noticed your pretty young I would talk to a professional about the lose skin and see what they think as your 19 I would imagine it might go back more then we think.

is the weight loss recent? Give it time and see what happens.

Originally Posted by glen666 View Post
    I just noticed your pretty young I would talk to a professional about the lose skin and see what they think as your 19 I would imagine it might go back more then we think.

is the weight loss recent? Give it time and see what happens.
    The weight loss has been from 2 years until now so yes its recent. I'm going to my doctor monday to find out what I can do about it and if it'll go back over time cause I want to use surgery as a last resort. If anything for now I'm gonna try and build muscle and hopefully it'll fill out some of it.

starrrrr_old is on a distinguished road. (+10) starrrrr_old is on a distinguished road. (+10) starrrrr_old is on a distinguished road. (+10) starrrrr_old is on a distinguished road. (+10) starrrrr_old is on a distinguished road. (+10) starrrrr_old is on a distinguished road. (+10) starrrrr_old is on a distinguished road. (+10) starrrrr_old is on a distinguished road. (+10) starrrrr_old is on a distinguished road. (+10) starrrrr_old is on a distinguished road. (+10) starrrrr_old is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I've lost a significant amount too, and have some loose skin now. I've noticed, though, that the more muscle I build the better my skin looks.

Last December I had a consultation with a plastic surgeon about all of this. Essentially, he told me to wait before taking the plunge. His advice was to lose the remaining excess fat I had (I'm still in the process of this) and add more muscle, then wait a year to see how much the skin will improve on its own. Though I'll likely still have the have surgery, he assured me that some improvement over time was possible (and even likely) and that waiting a while could help reduce the amount of surgery I need.

Since your weight loss is still recent, I would suggest the same. Build muscle, lose a little more fat, then maintain a lower body fat percentage for a while to allow your skin to catch up (as much as is possible). Then see a surgeon to schedule your procedure.

Best of luck and congratulations on your success!

RyKane is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RyKane is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RyKane is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RyKane is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RyKane is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RyKane is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RyKane is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RyKane is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RyKane is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RyKane is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RyKane is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    You are 19 and your skin still has a tremendous mount of elasticity. From here on out you need to keep up with fish oil, apply a good firming lotion after showering (everyday), keep yourself well hydrated (1 to 2 gallons of water a day) and began to add muscle (especially focusing on chest/traps/back).

People whom have bulked/cut/bulked/cut and kept there in good condition by doing what I stated above have taken care of there problem without going under the knife. It's going to take years of hard work.
    "Nobody can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending."
    *Misc Horsehead Crew*

Max Bench for reps - 365
    Max Squat for reps - 455
    Max Dead for reps - 405

NicholeTiffany has a spectacular aura about. (+250) NicholeTiffany has a spectacular aura about. (+250) NicholeTiffany has a spectacular aura about. (+250) NicholeTiffany has a spectacular aura about. (+250) NicholeTiffany has a spectacular aura about. (+250) NicholeTiffany has a spectacular aura about. (+250) NicholeTiffany has a spectacular aura about. (+250) NicholeTiffany has a spectacular aura about. (+250) NicholeTiffany has a spectacular aura about. (+250) NicholeTiffany has a spectacular aura about. (+250) NicholeTiffany has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by starrrrr View Post
    I've lost a significant amount too, and have some loose skin now. I've noticed, though, that the more muscle I build the better my skin looks.

Last December I had a consultation with a plastic surgeon about all of this. Essentially, he told me to wait before taking the plunge. His advice was to lose the remaining excess fat I had (I'm still in the process of this) and add more muscle, then wait a year to see how much the skin will improve on its own. Though I'll likely still have the have surgery, he assured me that some improvement over time was possible (and even likely) and that waiting a while could help reduce the amount of surgery I need.

Since your weight loss is still recent, I would suggest the same. Build muscle, lose a little more fat, then maintain a lower body fat percentage for a while to allow your skin to catch up (as much as is possible). Then see a surgeon to schedule your procedure.

Best of luck and congratulations on your success!
    Props to your doc-- that's super-respectable for a surgeon who is paid to do exactly the opposite of what he advised!
    Act as if!

ctulloch has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ctulloch has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ctulloch has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ctulloch has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ctulloch has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ctulloch has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ctulloch has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ctulloch has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ctulloch has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ctulloch has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ctulloch has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by starrrrr View Post
    Build muscle, lose a little more fat, then maintain a lower body fat percentage for a while to allow your skin to catch up (as much as is possible). Then see a surgeon to schedule your procedure.
    This seems to make the most sense man.

I've got a bit more fat, and maybe a bit more muscle mass, but you and I actually look pretty similar shirtless OP. I'll be in the same boat, and I'm pretty much accepting the fact that if I want this extra hanging skin gone, I'll need surgery. I'm fine with it, it'll be worth it, just like every bit of weight lost has been worth the effort.

Definitely bulk though. 15% BF makes it seem like there should be room for cutting, but I think because of the skin maybe the Omrons not quite right, you look skinny under the skin, not much fat. Regardless at 6'2" 182, you can bulk for a while, then go back to cutting.

Wimbeast will become famous soon enough. (+50) Wimbeast will become famous soon enough. (+50) Wimbeast will become famous soon enough. (+50) Wimbeast will become famous soon enough. (+50) Wimbeast will become famous soon enough. (+50) Wimbeast will become famous soon enough. (+50) Wimbeast will become famous soon enough. (+50) Wimbeast will become famous soon enough. (+50) Wimbeast will become famous soon enough. (+50) Wimbeast will become famous soon enough. (+50) Wimbeast will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Before considering surgery I would go on a few cut and bulk cycles, start bulking right now, probably to 200 or so. cut and get down to 12% bulk up to 205 or 210 and cut down to 8%BF. Bulk up again then cut to 6% or lower and then keep get your BF to about 12% this should make your skin tighter, how much tighter idk but it might be tight enough for you to not consider surgery anymore.
    I'd rather live one day as a lion than one thousand years as a lamb.

Neuroscientist is on a distinguished road. (+10) Neuroscientist is on a distinguished road. (+10) Neuroscientist is on a distinguished road. (+10) Neuroscientist is on a distinguished road. (+10) Neuroscientist is on a distinguished road. (+10) Neuroscientist is on a distinguished road. (+10) Neuroscientist is on a distinguished road. (+10) Neuroscientist is on a distinguished road. (+10) Neuroscientist is on a distinguished road. (+10) Neuroscientist is on a distinguished road. (+10) Neuroscientist is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Congrats on your tremendous success is losing weight! You should be really proud. I agree is everyone that it just looks like loose skin. You've probably been in "fat loss" mode for so long that your psyche is falsely telling you its fat and you need to lose more weight. On the contrary, I'd try and build up some muscle mass to fill out a bit and give the skin time to tighten up a bit. After all, some people have the opposite problem of getting stretch marks. Therefore, you wouldn't want to cut out the skin surgically, only to start lifting weight and get strech marks. Try to "grow into your skin" with some weight lifting 3-4 days a week. If you don't see improvement after a year, then go for the surgical route. Keep in mind that skin is amazingly elastic. Good luck.

dbluegoat has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dbluegoat has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dbluegoat has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dbluegoat has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dbluegoat has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dbluegoat has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dbluegoat has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dbluegoat has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dbluegoat has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dbluegoat has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dbluegoat has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    i fear the same thing, have you lifted weights all this time?

you could honestly try eating like a horse, good foods and lifting weights heavy, might be able to tighten it up some in a year or so of mass building?

Thanks again to everyone for your advice, it honestly means a lot and has me determined to build muscle and try to get the body that I want. I will rep on recharge.

Originally Posted by dbluegoat View Post
    i fear the same thing, have you lifted weights all this time?

you could honestly try eating like a horse, good foods and lifting weights heavy, might be able to tighten it up some in a year or so of mass building?
    No I haven't lifted weights which is the reason I think I have so much excess skin around my stomach and chest especially. It was only till I got around the 210-200lb mark did I start doing any kind of resistance training, I began to use resistance bands, and any muscle that I have is because I started using them. I will start lifting weights now, I'm really determined to try building muscle before even thinking of any kind of medical procedures.
    Last edited by The718; 07-22-2009 at 04:09 PM.

DrBermant will become famous soon enough. (+50) DrBermant will become famous soon enough. (+50) DrBermant will become famous soon enough. (+50) DrBermant will become famous soon enough. (+50) DrBermant will become famous soon enough. (+50) DrBermant will become famous soon enough. (+50) DrBermant will become famous soon enough. (+50) DrBermant will become famous soon enough. (+50) DrBermant will become famous soon enough. (+50) DrBermant will become famous soon enough. (+50) DrBermant will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Hey guys,

A little bit of background. I used to weight over 300lbs about 2 years ago and have been cutting ever since. Now I'm down to 182lbs and Omron electronic body fat analyzer has my bf% around 15%. I was wondering is the area around my stomach and chest loose skin? I think its body fat but my family insists its loose skin and want me to stop cutting. Also what can I do to get rid of my gut and get my chest flat?
    Congratulations on the weight loss! Does it not feel so much better having that weight off?

After Major Weight Loss, loose skin can remain a problem. The next step for most is letting the skin equilibrate. It can take 6 to 18 months for skin to adjust after gastric bypass operations. Lesser weight loss or shorter term skin stretching such as for women Changes after Pregnancy can take much less time. For the chest, building the chest muscles can fill up a loose skin envelope. Unfortunately, loose skin on the belly may need a tummy tuck or acceptance. For more global weight loss issues, a Lower Body Lift will also lift sagging thighs and buttocks.

Male Mastopexy Chest Lift can help with the upper body drooping.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
    Learn More About Tummy Tuck Abdominoplasty Surgery
    Michael Bermant, MD
    Board Certified
    American Board of Plastic Surgery
    http://www.PlasticSurgery4U.com

sandpoet has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sandpoet has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sandpoet has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sandpoet has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sandpoet has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sandpoet has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sandpoet has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sandpoet has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sandpoet has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Loose skin-

[QUOTE=The718;360510131]Hey guys,

Congrats on your tremendous weight loss. I agree with many of the posters that at 19, you have more supple skin and should allow time for the skin to tighten up. Of course, adding muscle, drinking adequate water, good nutrition an adequate sleep will help all of this. I am 58 and weigh 190 lbs. At 22, as a competitive BB, I weighed 225 off season and 178 at competition with 8% bf. My body fat at this age runs between 10-14 % year round. I do have loose skin around my waist, but maintain a 32# waist. You can see my abs and intercostals at 12%. At 52, I had less loose skin, but I also ran 3-5 miles per day at an intense interval pace; 1 mile intense, walk until HR less then 100; repeat. My bf was <10% year round. I suffered a setback at 52 when I was hospitalized for bacterial endocarditis requiring a heart valve replacement, only to be repeated in 3 12 months because it failed. I recovered strength-wise in 4 months post-surgery, but not aerobically to the fitness I enjoyed before(6:30 miles and 10-15 miles/week) I am easier on myself now, because at my age, I don't see a competition in my future. I also have a 6 & 8 year old boys, which have priority over athletic endeavors. I do push myself in the gym on strength training, though. I hope to regain my previous bench of 335# and improve squat and deadliest. Looking good and feeling good is my goal. You are so young that the future is bright for you to achieve all of your desired goals. Build more muscle mass, firsthand. That alone will help with the loose skin. My loss of size from 225-190# caused loose skin, as well. I lost 3" in biceps(20-17), 4" in chest(50-46"), 3" in thighs(26-23"). The loose skin was isolated to the waistline. I don't want a Dorian Yates waistline appearance, but more a Lee Labrada look. I suggest you take all of the posters comments and try a few for 30-60 days and see if a transformation is happening. Good luck to you!
    Super Dave of Pismo Beach