Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    cftstorres will become famous soon enough. (+50) cftstorres will become famous soon enough. (+50) cftstorres will become famous soon enough. (+50) cftstorres will become famous soon enough. (+50) cftstorres will become famous soon enough. (+50) cftstorres will become famous soon enough. (+50) cftstorres will become famous soon enough. (+50) cftstorres will become famous soon enough. (+50) cftstorres will become famous soon enough. (+50) cftstorres will become famous soon enough. (+50) cftstorres will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Thick waist: not fat, thick.

I have a thick mid section (28 inches). I train my abs currently 2 days a week. Up to about 3 months ago i trained them 3-4 days a week in an every other day fashion. I did that for years. I recently changed it to 2 days a week when I decided to try a figure competition. A guy I was training with told me my abs were too thick. I do a different routine each time. About 3 - 4 exercises. Most exercises w/o weights, and no machines ever.

I love ripped sectioned off abs (like Ava Cowans). My problem is I want that, and a thin waist. I heard different types of training can maintain the six pack, but slim the waist at the same time. I heard from I believe it was Christine Sabo on an RX muscle.com show, that when she eliminated squat rack training her waist slimmed more. I know widening out my lat and shoulders would help. It doesn't help that my boobs have shrunk either. Tips anyone?
    Last edited by cftstorres; 07-21-2009 at 09:55 AM.
    http://www.brokesinglemomfitness.com

I train for my sanity, not vanity

nunu713 will become famous soon enough. (+50) nunu713 will become famous soon enough. (+50) nunu713 will become famous soon enough. (+50) nunu713 will become famous soon enough. (+50) nunu713 will become famous soon enough. (+50) nunu713 will become famous soon enough. (+50) nunu713 will become famous soon enough. (+50) nunu713 will become famous soon enough. (+50) nunu713 will become famous soon enough. (+50) nunu713 will become famous soon enough. (+50) nunu713 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Getting your abs to pop is about diet. How you train them - not so much
    Hi, my name is Ellen, and I'm a peanut butter addict...

I do this because I can. I can because I want to. I want to because you said I couldn't.

nextsuperhero is just really nice. (+1000) nextsuperhero is just really nice. (+1000) nextsuperhero is just really nice. (+1000) nextsuperhero is just really nice. (+1000) nextsuperhero is just really nice. (+1000) nextsuperhero is just really nice. (+1000) nextsuperhero is just really nice. (+1000) nextsuperhero is just really nice. (+1000) nextsuperhero is just really nice. (+1000) nextsuperhero is just really nice. (+1000) nextsuperhero is just really nice. (+1000)
    I've heard a lot of people say deadlifting & squatting thicken your waist. You could try a few months of not doing either & see if your waist size starts to decrease.

RebeccaG is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) RebeccaG is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) RebeccaG is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) RebeccaG is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) RebeccaG is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) RebeccaG is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) RebeccaG is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) RebeccaG is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) RebeccaG is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) RebeccaG is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) RebeccaG is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    28 inches is thick??

Since when?
    DAYUM!!!

"Be stronger than your vagina"

cftstorres will become famous soon enough. (+50) cftstorres will become famous soon enough. (+50) cftstorres will become famous soon enough. (+50) cftstorres will become famous soon enough. (+50) cftstorres will become famous soon enough. (+50) cftstorres will become famous soon enough. (+50) cftstorres will become famous soon enough. (+50) cftstorres will become famous soon enough. (+50) cftstorres will become famous soon enough. (+50) cftstorres will become famous soon enough. (+50) cftstorres will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by nunu713 View Post
    Getting your abs to pop is about diet. How you train them - not so much
    My abs are popping already. Thanks not my problem. They pop too much maybe. Look at my photos first.
    Last edited by cftstorres; 07-21-2009 at 01:37 PM.

Originally Posted by nextsuperhero View Post
    I've heard a lot of people say deadlifting & squatting thicken your waist. You could try a few months of not doing either & see if your waist size starts to decrease.
    Best answer so far, thanks for the input.

heidismommy is a name known to all. (+5000) heidismommy is a name known to all. (+5000) heidismommy is a name known to all. (+5000) heidismommy is a name known to all. (+5000) heidismommy is a name known to all. (+5000) heidismommy is a name known to all. (+5000) heidismommy is a name known to all. (+5000) heidismommy is a name known to all. (+5000) heidismommy is a name known to all. (+5000) heidismommy is a name known to all. (+5000) heidismommy is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Have you ever had a really tapered waist? If not then it may just be that your body type won't allow for it. You sound the same as me---my waist looks thicker from the front and back, much narrower from the side. I've got developed, visible abdominals as well. I've never had a tapered waist though, not even when I was 20-30 lbs skinnier. It's my body type, my ribcage is wide and I'm short-waisted so there isn't much room for tapering at the waist. And my hips are very narrow, creating an illusion of a very boxy shape.

Yes, you could stop deadlifting, squatting, and working the obliques to see if that doesn't help a bit. Those are such great exercises though, you'll have to decide if it's worth it to stop. I think you look fantastic right now though to be honest. You have a very fit-looking physique.
    On a mini-cut, then onto maintenance mode for the summer.

Originally Posted by heidismommy View Post
    Have you ever had a really tapered waist? If not then it may just be that your body type won't allow for it. You sound the same as me---my waist looks thicker from the front and back, much narrower from the side. I've got developed, visible abdominals as well. I've never had a tapered waist though, not even when I was 20-30 lbs skinnier. It's my body type, my ribcage is wide and I'm short-waisted so there isn't much room for tapering at the waist. And my hips are very narrow, creating an illusion of a very boxy shape.

Yes, you could stop deadlifting, squatting, and working the obliques to see if that doesn't help a bit. Those are such great exercises though, you'll have to decide if it's worth it to stop. I think you look fantastic right now though to be honest. You have a very fit-looking physique.
    I'm pretty sure it's my body type also. I look at some girls bodyspace body stats and they have like 25 inch waist. I can't get lower the 28 it seems. I'd have to break a rib bone to get smaller. It just looks to me like my ab muscles are really thick.

Mustrainhard will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mustrainhard will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mustrainhard will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mustrainhard will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mustrainhard will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mustrainhard will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mustrainhard will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mustrainhard will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mustrainhard will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mustrainhard will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mustrainhard will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    One word: corset.

Originally Posted by cftstorres View Post
    A guy I was training with told me my abs were too thick. I do a different routine each time.
    Seriously, you have a body that most women on this forum would die for, and you are going to listen to some guy as to what he thinks of your abs?
    On the other hand, you could use that athletic body for some sport that you are interested in and kick butt IMO.

Originally Posted by Mustrainhard View Post
    One word: corset.

Seriously, you have a body that most women on this forum would die for, and you are going to listen to some guy as to what he thinks of your abs?
    On the other hand, you could use that athletic body for some sport that you are interested in and kick butt IMO.
    Someone mentioned that to me before also. He said old school bodybuilders use to wear them as well. I never tried incorporating that, because the guy didn't seem like he would know much about bodybuilding.

It's Supposed to Hurt! Thuirwyne's Avatar
    Thuirwyne is just really nice. (+1000) Thuirwyne is just really nice. (+1000) Thuirwyne is just really nice. (+1000) Thuirwyne is just really nice. (+1000) Thuirwyne is just really nice. (+1000) Thuirwyne is just really nice. (+1000) Thuirwyne is just really nice. (+1000) Thuirwyne is just really nice. (+1000) Thuirwyne is just really nice. (+1000) Thuirwyne is just really nice. (+1000) Thuirwyne is just really nice. (+1000)
    Some people swear squatting or deadlifting with a belt helps keep the obliques out of the equation; I squat with one because of disc issues, and my waist stays tight. Unfortunately I recently started deadlifting without one, and my obliques have spread!
    Food Aggressive

Mustrainhard will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mustrainhard will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mustrainhard will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mustrainhard will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mustrainhard will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mustrainhard will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mustrainhard will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mustrainhard will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mustrainhard will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mustrainhard will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mustrainhard will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Someone mentioned that to me before also. He said old school bodybuilders use to wear them as well. I never tried incorporating that, because the guy didn't seem like he would know much about bodybuilding.
    I was joking. Corsets do bad things for your internal organs. If you really hate them abs so much, stop working your abs for a few months, they will atrophy and you will return to a smaller waist size.

Not content with average queenofswords's Avatar
    queenofswords will become famous soon enough. (+50) queenofswords will become famous soon enough. (+50) queenofswords will become famous soon enough. (+50) queenofswords will become famous soon enough. (+50) queenofswords will become famous soon enough. (+50) queenofswords will become famous soon enough. (+50) queenofswords will become famous soon enough. (+50) queenofswords will become famous soon enough. (+50) queenofswords will become famous soon enough. (+50) queenofswords will become famous soon enough. (+50) queenofswords will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Cftstorres, u look great, abs are amazing- I pretty much agree with the others about it being a matter of body type. My waist hovers around 27 inches, i would say im quite box shaped in that area....I don't think theres anything I can do to change my shape there.

Dropping deadlifts and squats has been suggested- I love them... couldnt possibly get rid of them, but I guess its a choice for each individual to weigh up.
    Enviable Pro bods: Sherlyn Roy; Monica Guerra; Nicole Wilkins- Lee; Rachel Cammon; Jennifer Nicole Lee.

Originally Posted by Mustrainhard View Post
    I was joking. Corsets do bad things for your internal organs. If you really hate them abs so much, stop working your abs for a few months, they will atrophy and you will return to a smaller waist size.
    I don't hate my abs.

Lckymii is just really nice. (+1000) Lckymii is just really nice. (+1000) Lckymii is just really nice. (+1000) Lckymii is just really nice. (+1000) Lckymii is just really nice. (+1000) Lckymii is just really nice. (+1000) Lckymii is just really nice. (+1000) Lckymii is just really nice. (+1000) Lckymii is just really nice. (+1000) Lckymii is just really nice. (+1000) Lckymii is just really nice. (+1000)
    Just to weigh in... it looks like that is your natural body shape- which is great!!-You might look at different competitions instead of fighting against what nature gave you.

Originally Posted by Lckymii View Post
    Just to weigh in... it looks like that is your natural body shape- which is great!!-You might look at different competitions instead of fighting against what nature gave you.
    Yup, work with nature; not against it.

ftnsslvr has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ftnsslvr has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ftnsslvr has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ftnsslvr has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ftnsslvr has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ftnsslvr has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ftnsslvr has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ftnsslvr has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ftnsslvr has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ftnsslvr has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ftnsslvr has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Probably a dumb question - Sorry

I hope this doesn't sound too stupid, but I've heard different things. I was wondering where on your midsection a waist measurement is taken.

I've heard 2 different ways. I've heard your waist is high up in the smallest area of your stomach below your ribs. (If I measure there I'm a 26) and I heard that it's where your jeans sit (if I take it there I'm either a 28 or a 29) Obviously I like the 26 better but I want to make sure I'm doing it right.

Sorry if this is a dumb question...Just something I've never been able to get a straight answer on.

freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Stop worrying about waist thickness. Honestly, you'll be chasing your tail if you listen to criticism from everyone out there. Your abs are fine and no I would not stop deadlifting or squatting. The benefits of those two exercises far out weigh the possibility that they may somehow be responsible for a "thicker" waist. And what we're really talking about here is width and having an hourglass shape. As already said that's more about how you are built and there's little you can do about it. Aside from increasing the width of the upper body.

You've built a fine physique and look great!

TheAmazon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheAmazon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheAmazon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheAmazon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheAmazon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheAmazon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheAmazon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheAmazon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheAmazon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheAmazon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheAmazon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I agree, she looks great, i was admiring this Woman a few days ago before this post.

Tina7578 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tina7578 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tina7578 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tina7578 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tina7578 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tina7578 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tina7578 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tina7578 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tina7578 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tina7578 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tina7578 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I'd agree that maybe it's just time to look into a different type of competition. You look phenomenal, and listening to one guy telling you your waist is "too thick" is ridiculous. It looks like your body type isn't going to let you whittle your waist down much more than it already is ... there are plenty of competitions that will reward you for the way your waist looks now, maybe just focus on those?

Tiffany_P is just really nice. (+1000) Tiffany_P is just really nice. (+1000) Tiffany_P is just really nice. (+1000) Tiffany_P is just really nice. (+1000) Tiffany_P is just really nice. (+1000) Tiffany_P is just really nice. (+1000) Tiffany_P is just really nice. (+1000) Tiffany_P is just really nice. (+1000) Tiffany_P is just really nice. (+1000) Tiffany_P is just really nice. (+1000) Tiffany_P is just really nice. (+1000)
    I have the same bodytype - a wide, flat waist. I really think corset training is probably the best option if you're dedicated. I have one that I wear when I want to look curvier. I've never been dedicated enough to wear it all the time to create a permanent change though. Your other options are what others have mentioned - stop doing squats and deadlifts. Another thing you should do is add stomach vacuums to your ab routine if you're not already doing them. It's like a natural corset

eriplex will become famous soon enough. (+50) eriplex will become famous soon enough. (+50) eriplex will become famous soon enough. (+50) eriplex will become famous soon enough. (+50) eriplex will become famous soon enough. (+50) eriplex will become famous soon enough. (+50) eriplex will become famous soon enough. (+50) eriplex will become famous soon enough. (+50) eriplex will become famous soon enough. (+50) eriplex will become famous soon enough. (+50) eriplex will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    maybe just bodyweight exercises for abs opposed to weighted ab work. but honestly, i think you look amazing. I second the stomach vacuum suggestion. I love weighted ab work and sectioned abs though. Sometimes you just have to follow what you desire opposed to what others want of you. =)

Originally Posted by ftnsslvr View Post
    I hope this doesn't sound too stupid, but I've heard different things. I was wondering where on your midsection a waist measurement is taken.

I've heard 2 different ways. I've heard your waist is high up in the smallest area of your stomach below your ribs. (If I measure there I'm a 26) and I heard that it's where your jeans sit (if I take it there I'm either a 28 or a 29) Obviously I like the 26 better but I want to make sure I'm doing it right.

Sorry if this is a dumb question...Just something I've never been able to get a straight answer on.
    I'm 28 around the smallest area, and 30 around my belly button.

Ms.Q has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by ftnsslvr View Post

It can't be where your jeans sit-every pair sits at a different place! There are super low rise, hip huggers, and even high waisted jeans available.

I use the thinnest part-which is about an inch above my belly button.

swindled has a spectacular aura about. (+250) swindled has a spectacular aura about. (+250) swindled has a spectacular aura about. (+250) swindled has a spectacular aura about. (+250) swindled has a spectacular aura about. (+250) swindled has a spectacular aura about. (+250) swindled has a spectacular aura about. (+250) swindled has a spectacular aura about. (+250) swindled has a spectacular aura about. (+250) swindled has a spectacular aura about. (+250) swindled has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I'm 28 around the smallest area, and 30 around my belly button.
    To be honest, I think you have a killer body and are definitely an inspiration to me.

Originally Posted by swindled View Post
    To be honest, I think you have a killer body and are definitely an inspiration to me.
    Thank you. I think the problem is just my body type and my small boobs. I nursed my son for about two years after I had him, and that really made them shrink. I've been training for years since then, I'm not sure if training has really contributed much to that. I went down a cup size. Thanks for the input everyone.

ftnsslvr has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ftnsslvr has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ftnsslvr has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ftnsslvr has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ftnsslvr has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ftnsslvr has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ftnsslvr has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ftnsslvr has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ftnsslvr has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ftnsslvr has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ftnsslvr has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by swindled View Post
    I agree with this 100%. I'm in love with your triceps and shoulders.

kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I have a thick mid section (28 inches). I train my abs currently 2 days a week. Up to about 3 months ago i trained them 3-4 days a week in an every other day fashion. I did that for years. I recently changed it to 2 days a week when I decided to try a figure competition. A guy I was training with told me my abs were too thick. I do a different routine each time. About 3 - 4 exercises. Most exercises w/o weights, and no machines ever.

I love ripped sectioned off abs (like Ava Cowans). My problem is I want that, and a thin waist. I heard different types of training can maintain the six pack, but slim the waist at the same time. I heard from I believe it was Christine Sabo on an RX muscle.com show, that when she eliminated squat rack training her waist slimmed more. I know widening out my lat and shoulders would help. It doesn't help that my boobs have shrunk either. Tips anyone?
    Oh man I could never give up squat or deads. Yeah building up the delts and lats would give you the illusion of a smaller waist. As for the boobs it happens but I would take my overall physique any day over a set of boobs...that's just me.

I have similar measurements as you in that area so I understand your frustration. Just keep pluggin away and work with what you were given.

Looking solid nice work!!
    National Level Competitor (Female BB)

Bulking towards fatdom bouncingpuka's Avatar
    bouncingpuka will become famous soon enough. (+50) bouncingpuka will become famous soon enough. (+50) bouncingpuka will become famous soon enough. (+50) bouncingpuka will become famous soon enough. (+50) bouncingpuka will become famous soon enough. (+50) bouncingpuka will become famous soon enough. (+50) bouncingpuka will become famous soon enough. (+50) bouncingpuka will become famous soon enough. (+50) bouncingpuka will become famous soon enough. (+50) bouncingpuka will become famous soon enough. (+50) bouncingpuka will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Thank you. I think the problem is just my body type and my small boobs. I nursed my son for about two years after I had him, and that really made them shrink. I've been training for years since then, I'm not sure if training has really contributed much to that. I went down a cup size. Thanks for the input everyone.
    Gosh, you have an amaaaaazing body, love your abs!!!!!......and don't stress about your boobs, lol.....I wear a bra just to remind me where mine ARE!

husband, father, trainer KyleAaron's Avatar
    KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000)
    A guy I was training with told me my abs were too thick.

The guy you were training with is a doofus.

Tips anyone?
    Train with someone else.