AssyrianMuscle is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AssyrianMuscle is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AssyrianMuscle is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AssyrianMuscle is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AssyrianMuscle is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AssyrianMuscle is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AssyrianMuscle is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AssyrianMuscle is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AssyrianMuscle is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AssyrianMuscle is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AssyrianMuscle is a jewel in the rough. (+500)

I know you guys hate criticing routines but...

I've been following strict strength routines (rippetoes then madcows) for almost a year and a half now and now I want to train for size.

this is the hypertrophy routine I cam up with, I basically took a 3day routine from a sticky and changed spread the lifts apart so I could hit each bodygroup twice a week, hows it look?

so far revised:
    Day One
    Barbell Squat 3x5
    Romanian BB Deadlift 3x8
    Seated Dumbell Press 3x5
    Barbell Rows 3x6
    Seated Rows 3x8
    Wrist Curls 3x8
    Reverse Wrist Curls 3x8
    Standing Calf Raises 3x8

Day Two
    Bench Press 3x5
    Incline Dumbell Press 3x8
    Incline Dumbell Flys 3x12
    Close Grip Bench Press 3x8
    DB Curls 3x8

One day break

Day Three
    Deadlift 3x5
    Seated Leg Curl 3x8
    Seated Barbell Press 3x8
    Dumbell Rows 3x8
    Wide Grip Pulldowns 3x10
    Standing Calf Raises 3x15

Day Four
    Dumbell Bench Press 3x8
    Incline Bench Press 3x5
    Dips 3x8
    Tricep Pulldowns 3x10
    Barbell Curls 3x12

original:
    Day One
    Barbell Squat 3x5
    Seated Dumbell Press 3x5
    Barbell Rows 3x6
    Close Grip Pulldowns 3x8
    Wrist Curls 3x8
    Reverse Wrist Curls 3x8
    Standing Calf Raises 3x8

Day Two
    Bench Press 3x5
    DB Curls 3x8

One day break

Day Three
    Deadlift 3x5
    Seated Barbell Press 3x8
    Dumbell Rows 3x8
    Wide Grip Pulldowns 3x10

Day Four
    Dumbell Bench Press 3x8
    Incline Bench Press 3x5
    Dips 3x8
    Tricep Pulldowns 3x10
    Barbell Curls 3x12
    Last edited by AssyrianMuscle; 07-20-2009 at 09:52 PM.

RoccoTanno123 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RoccoTanno123 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RoccoTanno123 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RoccoTanno123 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RoccoTanno123 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RoccoTanno123 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RoccoTanno123 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RoccoTanno123 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RoccoTanno123 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RoccoTanno123 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RoccoTanno123 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Not enough legs, and you should probably pair biceps with back. Also always go with pullups over pulldowns.

Gallix23 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Gallix23 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Gallix23 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Gallix23 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Gallix23 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Gallix23 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Gallix23 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Gallix23 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Gallix23 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    It looks alright, but I would switch things around a little different.

I always like training my chest with my back, and since they're antagonists to each other one gets a nice stretch while the other gets worked out. For example on your benching day I'd maybe do the seated rows and throw in some standing barbell rows even to thicken your lats, plus some pull ups alternating overhand and underhand grip.

On the legs day, I'd add in some lower back by doing Romanian Deadlifts (straight-leg), good mornings, maybe lunges, and leg curls to hit the leg bicep.

The workout looks good, but definitely try to organize it by body part a little better and you'll have a solid workout.

AssyrianMuscle is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AssyrianMuscle is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AssyrianMuscle is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AssyrianMuscle is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AssyrianMuscle is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AssyrianMuscle is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AssyrianMuscle is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AssyrianMuscle is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AssyrianMuscle is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AssyrianMuscle is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AssyrianMuscle is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by RoccoTanno123 View Post
    Not enough legs, and you should probably pair biceps with back. Also always go with pullups over pulldowns.
    The reason for the arms not with back is because I already have enough movement on my back days, plus it's not like it's a crazy arm workout its just one exercise for my bis.

as for legs I guess I could toss some machine leg press' in after deads + some ham work after squatting or something like that

Originally Posted by Gallix23 View Post
    It looks alright, but I would switch things around a little different.

I always like training my chest with my back, and since they're antagonists to each other one gets a nice stretch while the other gets worked out. For example on your benching day I'd maybe do the seated rows and throw in some standing barbell rows even to thicken your lats, plus some pull ups alternating overhand and underhand grip.

On the legs day, I'd add in some lower back by doing Romanian Deadlifts (straight-leg), good mornings, maybe lunges, and leg curls to hit the leg bicep.

The workout looks good, but definitely try to organize it by body part a little better and you'll have a solid workout.
    thanks bro, i will take another look at it and try to fix it up some more!

Gallix23 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Gallix23 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Gallix23 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Gallix23 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Gallix23 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Gallix23 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Gallix23 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Gallix23 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Gallix23 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Originally Posted by AssyrianMuscle View Post
    thanks bro, i will take another look at it and try to fix it up some more!
    No problem, feel free to message or whatever with the new line up and I'll take a look at it if this thread dies or whatever.

No problem, feel free to message or whatever with the new line up and I'll take a look at it if this thread dies or whatever.
    Okay cool, I tweaked it a little and ended with this:

Day One
    Barbell Squat 3x5
    Romanian BB Deadlift 3x8
    Seated Dumbell Press 3x5
    Barbell Rows 3x6
    Seated Rows 3x8
    Wrist Curls 3x8
    Reverse Wrist Curls 3x8
    Standing Calf Raises 3x8

Day Two
    Bench Press 3x5
    DB Curls 3x8

One day break

Day Three
    Deadlift 3x5
    Seated Leg Curl 3x8
    Seated Barbell Press 3x8
    Dumbell Rows 3x8
    Wide Grip Pulldowns 3x10

Day Four
    Dumbell Bench Press 3x8
    Incline Bench Press 3x5
    Dips 3x8
    Tricep Pulldowns 3x10
    Barbell Curls 3x12

I took your advice and added the romanian deadlifts and the leg curls. I also replaced my close grip pulldowns with regular seated rows.

I was thinking about changing up the routine so that it'd be back/chest, etc, as you stated but I remember doing a routine like that for a short amount of time. I didn't like it because of all the arm movement i felt as i went deeper and deeper into the workout my arms would get worn out and my later exercises weren't as effective. If the routine had less exercises I would def. do it but in its current state I don't think it'd be helpful.

That's much better. However, on day 2 I would add in revere tricep pushdowns after close grip bench to really hit the long head of the tricep and isolate it get thickness from the back. To do them you just put a standard curl bar on the cable machine, set it to about eye level, grip the bar with an under hand grip, bring your elbows to your sides, and extend your arms down and squeeze at the end. I explained it because not many people I know of do them or know about them, but I do them all the time, they're awesome.

Also, I would add chin ups to one of the back days, I feel they are the best in developing the lats and even the traps, and now that I mention it, maybe add in shrugs after one of the shoulder lifts.

latest:

Day One
    Barbell Squat 3x5
    Romanian BB Deadlift 3x8
    Seated Dumbell Press 3x5
    Barbell Shrugs 3x6
    Seated Rows 3x8
    Barbell Rows 3x6
    Wrist Curls 3x8
    Reverse Wrist Curls 3x8
    Standing Calf Raises 3x8

Day Two
    Bench Press 3x5
    Reverse Tricep Pushdowns 3x8
    DB Curls 3x8

One day break

Day Three
    Deadlift 3x5
    Seated Leg Curl 3x8
    Seated Barbell Press 3x8
    Dumbell Shrugs 3x6
    Dumbell Rows 3x8
    Wide Grip Pulldowns 3x10

Day Four
    Dumbell Bench Press 3x8
    Incline Bench Press 3x5
    Dumbell Flys 3x12
    Dips 3x8
    Tricep Pulldowns 3x10
    Barbell Curls 3x12

brudman is a name known to all. (+5000) brudman is a name known to all. (+5000) brudman is a name known to all. (+5000) brudman is a name known to all. (+5000) brudman is a name known to all. (+5000) brudman is a name known to all. (+5000) brudman is a name known to all. (+5000) brudman is a name known to all. (+5000) brudman is a name known to all. (+5000) brudman is a name known to all. (+5000) brudman is a name known to all. (+5000)
    If you ask me there is no pattern or system to your program. Here's what it looks like:

Day 1
    Squats
    Deads
    Press
    Row

Day 2
    Press
    Other chest assistance movements (Too many IMO)

Day 3
    Deads
    Quads
    Press
    Traps
    Rows

Day 4
    Press
    Other various chest movements
    Biceps

Honestly. Do you really see any level of organization? Put your presses on the same day. Otherwise you are using your triceps, delts, lats, and even chest on back to back days.

Just group them this way:
    Press
    Row
    Delts
    Traps
    Triceps
    Elbow Flexor Movements (Biceps)

Squats
    Deads
    Posterior Chain (Low back/hamstring)
    Abs

That way, you are in the best possible position from a recovery standpoint. Keep it simple. You don't need 1 million isolation movements like that other guy said. Get strong in the big movements first, then worry about "leg biceps." Seriously.

brudman is a name known to all. (+5000) brudman is a name known to all. (+5000) brudman is a name known to all. (+5000) brudman is a name known to all. (+5000) brudman is a name known to all. (+5000) brudman is a name known to all. (+5000) brudman is a name known to all. (+5000) brudman is a name known to all. (+5000) brudman is a name known to all. (+5000) brudman is a name known to all. (+5000) brudman is a name known to all. (+5000)
    That's much better. However, on day 2 I would add in revere tricep pushdowns after close grip bench to really hit the long head of the tricep and isolate it get thickness from the back. To do them you just put a standard curl bar on the cable machine, set it to about eye level, grip the bar with an under hand grip, bring your elbows to your sides, and extend your arms down and squeeze at the end. I explained it because not many people I know of do them or know about them, but I do them all the time, they're awesome.

Also, I would add chin ups to one of the back days, I feel they are the best in developing the lats and even the traps, and now that I mention it, maybe add in shrugs after one of the shoulder lifts.
    You are adding quite a list to his already huge laundry list. I suggest focusing on the major lifts at 170 lbs (and you too at 145 lbs). Get strong in those areas and you'll have a foundation to build from. Filling up your day with 1,000 assistance/isolation lifts won't do much if you ain't liftin much in your big lifts.

Originally Posted by brudman View Post
    If you ask me there is no pattern or system to your program.
    I wanted to make a four day split that hit each bodygroup twice a week. When I designed it this is what I saw:

Barbell Squat=Legs
    Romanian BB Deadlift=Lower Back
    Seated Dumbell Press=Shoulders
    Barbell Shrugs=Shoulders
    Seated Rows=Upperback
    Barbell Rows=Upperback

Day Two
    Bench Press=Chest
    Incline Dumbell Press=Chest
    Incline Dumbell Flys=Chest
    Close Grip Bench Press=Tris
    Reverse Tricep Pushdowns=Tris
    DB Curls=Bis

One day break

Day Three
    Deadlift=Lower back
    Seated Leg Curl=Legs
    Seated Barbell Press=Shoulders
    Dumbell Shrugs=Shoulders
    Dumbell Rows=Upperback
    Wide Grip Pulldowns=Upperback

Day Four
    Dumbell Bench Press=Chest
    Incline Bench Press=Chest
    Dumbell Flys=Chest
    Dips=Chest
    Tricep Pulldowns=Tris
    Barbell Curls=Bis

Looking at it that way i thought it'd turn it fine, and tbh it still looks okay to me. I've been doing strength routines since I started lifting and this is the first real hypertrophy routine i'm trying out.

Using most of the lifts I already included how could I have a split that hits each bodygroup twice a week but fits your taste? Idk hwo I can have all my presses one day then legs, etc another.

Originally Posted by AssyrianMuscle View Post
    Using most of the lifts I already included how could I have a split that hits each bodygroup twice a week but fits your taste? Idk hwo I can have all my presses one day then legs, etc another.
    Days 1 & 4
    Press
    Row
    Delts
    Traps
    Triceps

Day 3 Rest

Days 2 & 5
    Squats
    Deads
    Abs

It's not so much "fitting my taste" as it is giving your delts and triceps a rest. Bench uses them and so do shoulder press. Elbow flexor/bicep are used when rowing. That's all I'm pointing out to you. It would suck to get something like tendonitis or a muscle pull in your tris, delts, or biceps because you train them too much without knowing it.

Days 1 & 4
    Press
    Row
    Delts
    Traps
    Triceps

Day 3 Rest

Days 2 & 5
    Squats
    Deads
    Abs

It's not so much "fitting my taste" as it is giving your delts and triceps a rest. Bench uses them and so do shoulder press. Elbow flexor/bicep are used when rowing. That's all I'm pointing out to you. It would suck to get something like tendonitis or a muscle pull in your tris, delts, or biceps because you train them too much without knowing it.
    okay i'll try to work something out later today and will post back

embrau is on a distinguished road. (+10) embrau is on a distinguished road. (+10) embrau is on a distinguished road. (+10) embrau is on a distinguished road. (+10) embrau is on a distinguished road. (+10) embrau is on a distinguished road. (+10) embrau is on a distinguished road. (+10) embrau is on a distinguished road. (+10) embrau is on a distinguished road. (+10) embrau is on a distinguished road. (+10) embrau is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I agree with brudman that pressing everyday is too much. You could move your shoulder exercises from the leg/back day and put it with your chest/tri workout. Then move your bicep exercise to back day.

Originally Posted by embrau View Post
    I agree with brudman that pressing everyday is too much. You could move your shoulder exercises from the leg/back day and put it with your chest/tri workout. Then move your bicep exercise to back day.
    Hmmm hows this look?

Day One
    Barbell Squat=Legs
    Rack Pulls=Lower Back
    Romanian BB Deadlift=Lower Back
    Seated Rows=Upperback
    Barbell Rows=Upperback
    DB Curls=Bis

Day Two
    Bench Press=Chest
    Incline Dumbell Press=Chest
    Incline Dumbell Flys=Chest
    Seated Dumbell Press=Shoulders
    Barbell Shrugs=Shoulders
    Close Grip Bench Press=Tris
    Reverse Tricep Pushdowns=Tris

One day break

Day Three
    Deadlift=Lower back
    Weighted Hypers=Lower back
    Seated Leg Curl=Legs
    Ham Curls=Legs
    Dumbell Rows=Upperback
    Wide Grip Pulldowns=Upperback
    Barbell Curls=Bis

Day Four
    Dumbell Bench Press=Chest
    Incline Bench Press=Chest
    Dumbell Flys=Chest
    Dips=Chest
    Seated Barbell Press=Shoulders
    Dumbell Shrugs=Shoulders
    Tricep Pulldowns=Tris

Looks fine. The one thing I would change is switch out the seated rows on day 1 with a vertical pull (pull ups). That way you have a horizontal pull and a vertical pull instead of 2 horizontal pulls. Make sense? All of this is still a lot of volume but if it suits you then go for it.

Looks fine. The one thing I would change is switch out the seated rows on day 1 with a vertical pull (pull ups). That way you have a horizontal pull and a vertical pull instead of 2 horizontal pulls. Make sense? All of this is still a lot of volume but if it suits you then go for it.
    I';; try it out and see how it feels over a little time, if it is too much for me I can always drop a few lifts each day.

Thanks for the help bro

Day One
    Barbell Squat 3x5
    Rack Pulls 3x8
    Seated Rows 3x8
    Barbell Rows 3x6
    DB Curls 3x8

Day Two
    Bench Press 3x5
    Incline Dumbell Flys 3x6
    Seated Dumbell Press 3x5
    Barbell Shrugs 3x6