samakaballer will become famous soon enough. (+50) samakaballer will become famous soon enough. (+50) samakaballer will become famous soon enough. (+50) samakaballer will become famous soon enough. (+50) samakaballer will become famous soon enough. (+50) samakaballer will become famous soon enough. (+50) samakaballer will become famous soon enough. (+50) samakaballer will become famous soon enough. (+50) samakaballer will become famous soon enough. (+50) samakaballer will become famous soon enough. (+50) samakaballer will become famous soon enough. (+50)

3 sets of 8-12 on flat bench press? is it ok?

I had bad shoulder pain not 2 long ago and took a month off. and i started back up about 4 or 5 weeks ago and have just been working out with 175 started at 3 sets of 8 then got up to doing 14 reps 1st set and 13 reps my last 2 sets so today i did the same weight , 175, and it only went up 13 times the first set.. I think im just not getting stronger because i've been using the same weight too long, so i upped it to 195 for 3 sets of 8... but my first set i barely did 8 reps my 2nd set like 6 and 3rd set 5..... felt very weak today, hopefully i'll nail at least 3 sets of 8 wth 195 next week... But what do you guys think about doing these kinda sets with flat bench? b4 my shoulder issue, i had done pyramids a set of 10,8,6,4,2 upping the weight about 15lbs each set... that didn't really work well then i went to doing 5 sets of 5 of same weight each set, it actually helped me go up 20 lbs over am onths time but then my shoulder pain started because i think iwas beating myself up too much forcing myself to push up the weight 5lbs heavier each week... just diong simple 3 sets of 8-12 feels like im getting a much better burn, feels safer on my shoulder, and is just basically a lot easier lol. just want to know if anybody else has success with this technique

Gamer10101 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    i do 3x8 with the heaviest weight i can do .. If i only get six i will usually use the same weight it seems to be working for me. I had a shoulder problem to because of not warming up enough.. Ever since i have been warming up right i have had no problem.

bodyfuel will become famous soon enough. (+50) bodyfuel will become famous soon enough. (+50) bodyfuel will become famous soon enough. (+50) bodyfuel will become famous soon enough. (+50) bodyfuel will become famous soon enough. (+50) bodyfuel will become famous soon enough. (+50) bodyfuel will become famous soon enough. (+50) bodyfuel will become famous soon enough. (+50) bodyfuel will become famous soon enough. (+50) bodyfuel will become famous soon enough. (+50) bodyfuel will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Yeah Im getting this pinch in my right shoulder ever since I got back to the gym...

What do you guys do for warmups?

Gallix23 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Gallix23 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Gallix23 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Gallix23 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Gallix23 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Gallix23 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Gallix23 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Gallix23 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Gallix23 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Originally Posted by bodyfuel View Post
    Yeah Im getting this pinch in my right shoulder ever since I got back to the gym...

What do you guys do for warmups?
    To warm up I get a really good stretch in, it's always bad to hit the weights with cold muscles. I stretch each body part to a ten count, and when I feel loose I'll throw light weight on whatever I'm doing and do a few slow reps to further stretch and get my body use to the motion before I actually do it. By doing this I've never had a lifting injury or pulled anything.

BigKev23 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigKev23 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigKev23 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigKev23 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigKev23 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigKev23 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigKev23 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigKev23 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigKev23 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigKev23 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigKev23 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by samakaballer View Post
    I had bad shoulder pain not 2 long ago and took a month off. and i started back up about 4 or 5 weeks ago and have just been working out with 175 started at 3 sets of 8 then got up to doing 14 reps 1st set and 13 reps my last 2 sets so today i did the same weight , 175, and it only went up 13 times the first set.. I think im just not getting stronger because i've been using the same weight too long, so i upped it to 195 for 3 sets of 8... but my first set i barely did 8 reps my 2nd set like 6 and 3rd set 5..... felt very weak today, hopefully i'll nail at least 3 sets of 8 wth 195 next week... But what do you guys think about doing these kinda sets with flat bench? b4 my shoulder issue, i had done pyramids a set of 10,8,6,4,2 upping the weight about 15lbs each set... that didn't really work well then i went to doing 5 sets of 5 of same weight each set, it actually helped me go up 20 lbs over am onths time but then my shoulder pain started because i think iwas beating myself up too much forcing myself to push up the weight 5lbs heavier each week... just diong simple 3 sets of 8-12 feels like im getting a much better burn, feels safer on my shoulder, and is just basically a lot easier lol. just want to know if anybody else has success with this technique
    might want to take a look at your grip on the bench...could possibly be having too much delts come into play. never really liked the flat bench either. i stick to inclines and haven't had a problem since.

the 3 sets of 8-12 is fine. the 20 lb jump was probably a little quick. would stick to the 5-10lb jumps at a time. progression is key, but it doesn't mean you have to be adding 20+ pounds at a time ;-)

bodyfuel will become famous soon enough. (+50) bodyfuel will become famous soon enough. (+50) bodyfuel will become famous soon enough. (+50) bodyfuel will become famous soon enough. (+50) bodyfuel will become famous soon enough. (+50) bodyfuel will become famous soon enough. (+50) bodyfuel will become famous soon enough. (+50) bodyfuel will become famous soon enough. (+50) bodyfuel will become famous soon enough. (+50) bodyfuel will become famous soon enough. (+50) bodyfuel will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    When I first started I had no clue what i was doing at my warmup consisted of :

3xPullups
    3xPushups
    3xDips

All of 8-10 reps

Followed by 5-6 variations with 3 sets each basically I was overtraining. Lol

Now my warmup usually consists of 5 mins on the elliptical or a Squat/Press with Empty BB

Galindo62 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Galindo62 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Galindo62 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Galindo62 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Galindo62 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Galindo62 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Galindo62 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Galindo62 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Galindo62 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Galindo62 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Galindo62 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I never ever stretch before I lift.

Also my warm up can sometimes take longer than my actual work sets.

Also try ticking in your shoulder when you're benching. That helped out my rotator cuffs alot.
    I used to have an AVI of my traps and neck. I changed it a while back and tried editing my user title but this website is glitched and it will not let me change it anymore.

Kelei is a name known to all. (+5000) Kelei is a name known to all. (+5000) Kelei is a name known to all. (+5000) Kelei is a name known to all. (+5000) Kelei is a name known to all. (+5000) Kelei is a name known to all. (+5000) Kelei is a name known to all. (+5000) Kelei is a name known to all. (+5000) Kelei is a name known to all. (+5000) Kelei is a name known to all. (+5000) Kelei is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Most people experience shoulder pain/injury because their external rotators are too weak and/or weak rhomboids in proportion to the pecs. Strengthening these muscle groups along with stretching the pecs are the best things you can do to help avoid shoulder injury.

samakaballer will become famous soon enough. (+50) samakaballer will become famous soon enough. (+50) samakaballer will become famous soon enough. (+50) samakaballer will become famous soon enough. (+50) samakaballer will become famous soon enough. (+50) samakaballer will become famous soon enough. (+50) samakaballer will become famous soon enough. (+50) samakaballer will become famous soon enough. (+50) samakaballer will become famous soon enough. (+50) samakaballer will become famous soon enough. (+50) samakaballer will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by BigKev23 View Post
    might want to take a look at your grip on the bench...could possibly be having too much delts come into play. never really liked the flat bench either. i stick to inclines and haven't had a problem since.

the 3 sets of 8-12 is fine. the 20 lb jump was probably a little quick. would stick to the 5-10lb jumps at a time. progression is key, but it doesn't mean you have to be adding 20+ pounds at a time ;-)
    maybe 20 lbs was too much, im just gonna stick at the weight tho hopefully i can do 3 sets of 8 next week . i just thought that being able to do 175 for 14 reps , that 175 i way to easy, and i should up it 20lbs to get a good hard 3 sets of 8 in, but i was mistaken lol, it was tough but at least i got the first set wiht 8 reps. at least my pecs are nice and sore today, so hopefully i'll see big improvements next week.
    Last edited by samakaballer; 07-21-2009 at 10:45 AM.

Originally Posted by BigKev23 View Post

right when i got back from taking the mont hoff, i widened my grip a lot, almost looks like it could be wide grip bench press. Before when the shoulder injury happened i think my grip was to narrow, now that i widened the grip i feel like i can control the bar better. it's weird tho, my shoulder aches more it seems like the day after i do my chest workout , right now it has a minor painful ache in it i think the body weight dips r hurting my shoulder now more then anything
    Last edited by samakaballer; 07-21-2009 at 10:46 AM.