enzed will become famous soon enough. (+50) enzed will become famous soon enough. (+50) enzed will become famous soon enough. (+50) enzed will become famous soon enough. (+50) enzed will become famous soon enough. (+50) enzed will become famous soon enough. (+50) enzed will become famous soon enough. (+50) enzed will become famous soon enough. (+50) enzed will become famous soon enough. (+50) enzed will become famous soon enough. (+50) enzed will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Unhappy Help with squats (Weightloss related)

Not sure if this is the right forum so feel free to move it if it's not.

So I am currently 335lbs, down from 440 at the start of the year and need some help with my squat form.

When I started doing squats I was just doing bodyweight squats and they were working great but now I have lost weight they just don't seem as effective so for the last couple of months I have been trying full barbell squats with the weight difference on the bar that I have lost.

The problem I have is that as soon as I get the bar on my shoulders my balance absolutely goes to crap and so does my form, I feel like I'm going to tip over backward all the time (which is strange as most of my excess weight is still on my frontside ) and have taken to doing box squats for the time being but I want to do normal ass to grass squats like I could when I was just doing bodyweight. What can I do?? Should I just go back to bodyweight or maybe get some dumbells IDK.

I'm just about at the point where i want go out and get a smith machine but I read bad things about them on here so i don't know what to do...

Anyway any help or critiques are welcome.
    Last edited by enzed; 07-20-2009 at 07:27 PM.

Shr3dJunki3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Shr3dJunki3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Shr3dJunki3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Shr3dJunki3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Shr3dJunki3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Shr3dJunki3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Shr3dJunki3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Shr3dJunki3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Shr3dJunki3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Shr3dJunki3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Shr3dJunki3 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I'd try doing them with just the barbell first, then adding 5 lbs to each side.
    We all come from humble beginnings.

Studies everywhere tell you everything, listen to your body instead and you'll succeed.

" So you're thinking that you're all that, and then some...man I got news for you..."

_OZ_ is just really nice. (+1000) _OZ_ is just really nice. (+1000) _OZ_ is just really nice. (+1000) _OZ_ is just really nice. (+1000) _OZ_ is just really nice. (+1000) _OZ_ is just really nice. (+1000) _OZ_ is just really nice. (+1000) _OZ_ is just really nice. (+1000) _OZ_ is just really nice. (+1000) _OZ_ is just really nice. (+1000) _OZ_ is just really nice. (+1000)
    Congratulations on your fat loss so far.

Barbell squats are awkward at first. With practice you will get better at them. You can tinker with your technique too. Make sure the bar is on your traps not neck. Widen your stance and flare your toes out. See if that makes any difference. Another thing you can try is putting a weight plate or plank of wood under your heels or using Olympic weighlifting shoes that have a heel.

There are mixed views on smith squats. Personally I think they are a great bodybuilding exercise. Like any tool they are open to abuse if one misuses it.

BBDisciple has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BBDisciple has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BBDisciple has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BBDisciple has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BBDisciple has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BBDisciple has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BBDisciple has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BBDisciple has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BBDisciple has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BBDisciple has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BBDisciple has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I've always had a Smith machine at my gym, so I never relied too much on barbell squats. I am actually surprised to hear there are criticisms of the Smith machine. It seems there will always be people for and against something.

OP, if you just want to work out to look and feel better, I would say a Smith machine is great. You will definitely get the benefits of a squat workout.
    'As you think, so shall you become.'
    -Bruce Lee