Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    blast00 will become famous soon enough. (+50) blast00 will become famous soon enough. (+50) blast00 will become famous soon enough. (+50) blast00 will become famous soon enough. (+50) blast00 will become famous soon enough. (+50) blast00 will become famous soon enough. (+50) blast00 will become famous soon enough. (+50) blast00 will become famous soon enough. (+50) blast00 will become famous soon enough. (+50) blast00 will become famous soon enough. (+50) blast00 will become famous soon enough. (+50)

critique my Deadlift form please

So, I have been working at my deadlift form for a few weeks now; and I HOPE, please god I HOPE I have it down, or at least close enough that it will be effective.

please help me and critique my new form:

for laughs.... this was my old form:
    I eat sleep dream football and baseball.

my log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=116834161

need motivation? read a summary of my life story: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=117343461

I rep back.
    I owe:
    Limons. NoCreativity poopoo333

mikeengel has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mikeengel has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mikeengel has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mikeengel has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mikeengel has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mikeengel has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mikeengel has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mikeengel has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mikeengel has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mikeengel has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mikeengel has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Hahahahhahahahahahhahahaha ( laughing for a couple minutes ) at old one. Thats pretty good xD

Butt needs to be a lot ferther down on your new one. You can hurt your back like that. And make sure the bar is litterally dragging up your shins. That way, with your ass down, you can have a more vertical stance, allowing you to drive your heals in ( you want all weight on your heels ) so you can get that baby up.

I deadlift compeditivly, so trust me

Goodluck!

Real World Boxing Advice djartek's Avatar
    djartek is a jewel in the rough. (+500) djartek is a jewel in the rough. (+500) djartek is a jewel in the rough. (+500) djartek is a jewel in the rough. (+500) djartek is a jewel in the rough. (+500) djartek is a jewel in the rough. (+500) djartek is a jewel in the rough. (+500) djartek is a jewel in the rough. (+500) djartek is a jewel in the rough. (+500) djartek is a jewel in the rough. (+500) djartek is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Your form is straight garbage, your lower back is rounded like crazy. Your starting to high up, so that means you are not driving with your legs.
    You need to drop your ass down some more, arch your lower back, tighten up your lats, push your chest out and push through the floor and pull the weight.

Here is the best videos for you:

Youtube.com/PalacBoxing
    I'll answer your boxing and combat questions. Just PM me
    "Patience, persistence, determination, and an unstoppable drive to be better than yesterday."

blast00 will become famous soon enough. (+50) blast00 will become famous soon enough. (+50) blast00 will become famous soon enough. (+50) blast00 will become famous soon enough. (+50) blast00 will become famous soon enough. (+50) blast00 will become famous soon enough. (+50) blast00 will become famous soon enough. (+50) blast00 will become famous soon enough. (+50) blast00 will become famous soon enough. (+50) blast00 will become famous soon enough. (+50) blast00 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    FML. you know how many times I have watched these videos and read starting strength?? this sucks =(

how far down is my butt supposed to be? (compare to squat...)
    I thought your butt was supposed to be up! I purposely push it up FML.

p.s I feel so stupid but this is so hard for me because I spent over 2 years in a full body cast and have no mind muscle connection... really have a lot of trouble controlling my muscles and body.
    (cant even do a jumping jack)

need motivation? read a summary of my life story: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=117343461

I rep back.
    I owe:

rock201 will become famous soon enough. (+50) rock201 will become famous soon enough. (+50) rock201 will become famous soon enough. (+50) rock201 will become famous soon enough. (+50) rock201 will become famous soon enough. (+50) rock201 will become famous soon enough. (+50) rock201 will become famous soon enough. (+50) rock201 will become famous soon enough. (+50) rock201 will become famous soon enough. (+50) rock201 will become famous soon enough. (+50) rock201 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I agree with djartek.

I am so angry I wish I could go back to the gym and deadlift more and work on it....
    i hate this shi* its so frustrating =(

I rep back.
    I owe:

PuffinMyLye will become famous soon enough. (+50) PuffinMyLye will become famous soon enough. (+50) PuffinMyLye will become famous soon enough. (+50) PuffinMyLye will become famous soon enough. (+50) PuffinMyLye will become famous soon enough. (+50) PuffinMyLye will become famous soon enough. (+50) PuffinMyLye will become famous soon enough. (+50) PuffinMyLye will become famous soon enough. (+50) PuffinMyLye will become famous soon enough. (+50) PuffinMyLye will become famous soon enough. (+50) PuffinMyLye will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I like what Layne does in this video right before he lifts the bar up because it basically makes sure ur ass is as low as it can be b4 you lift up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGRao...e=channel_page

It looks like he essentially is doing a squat prior to starting the deadlift...is this correct? its what it looks like sort of

I rep back.
    I owe:

PuffinMyLye will become famous soon enough. (+50) PuffinMyLye will become famous soon enough. (+50) PuffinMyLye will become famous soon enough. (+50) PuffinMyLye will become famous soon enough. (+50) PuffinMyLye will become famous soon enough. (+50) PuffinMyLye will become famous soon enough. (+50) PuffinMyLye will become famous soon enough. (+50) PuffinMyLye will become famous soon enough. (+50) PuffinMyLye will become famous soon enough. (+50) PuffinMyLye will become famous soon enough. (+50) PuffinMyLye will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by blast00 View Post
    It looks like he essentially is doing a squat prior to starting the deadlift...is this correct? its what it looks like sort of
    Not at all, he's just driving his ass as far down as he can right b4 he begins the lift. I guess you could say that you're almost in the low squat position to begin the lift though. If you're not experienced though this might not be the best method for you.
    Last edited by PuffinMyLye; 07-20-2009 at 07:54 PM.

Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz
    You really need to hire a personal trainer. If you can't compare your videos to Rips or the ones in the deadlifting 101 stickie and see the problems you need to pay someone to work with you because you are beyond all internet help. Rip explains it as well as anyone, Kiknskreem does it even better, you have had the best advice and coaching out there, it is time for a pro who is right there and can force you to get it right.
    []---[] Equipment Crew Member No. 11

"As iron sharpens iron so one man sharpens another" Proverbs 27:17

chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Okay, I support high hip starting positions, but dayum. Not when your lifts look like that.

Your upper back is flat, and your lower back is rounded.
    -
    Alchemist of Alcohol
    -
    -
    -
    Journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=126418493

I see the issue, I need to lower my butt...

I thuoght I had to keep my butt up, I really did not have any idea where it was, and by sticking it out I was having it too far up...

how far down should it be.... how far down and out? please just continue to try and help me, thank you guys.

I rep back.
    I owe:

Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz

Its not correct for basic deadlift form. driving his butt down like that will add a little more quad to the lift and gives him a little rebound out of the bottom allowing a top level powerlifting competitor to move a tad more weight than they could with strict form. The dangers he introduces are:

Potential back or leg injury from not being tight when starting the lift
    bicep tears from popping his arms straight

For someone competing on his level the reward is worth the risk and the risk is minimized by his experience. For the purposes of gaining mass and getting stronger you would want to learn correct form.

If you watch him do a lighter weight here you will see much more correct form:

so would it be safe to say get your butt as far out as possible and keep it just above paralell?

I rep back.
    I owe:

no, did you listen to those videos or are you really that thick?

I WILL fix the form on my own and get it down.

I really don't think I am that far off from getting it right. I am practicing right now, and by getting my but out but down lower it is MUCH easier to keep my back arched properly.

I will film again on wednesday and post again, but I really dont think i am that far away from getting it down and by keeping my butt down farther I think most of the other problems will fix themselves.

do you agree?

I rep back.
    I owe:

Originally Posted by Wildtim View Post
    no, did you listen to those videos or are you really that thick?
    I do not have sound =(

sorry

I rep back.
    I owe:

I will post a new video on wednesday. thanks for the help guys.

I rep back.
    I owe:

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz
    OP, rather than trying to teach yourself the lift, and get injured (which is what is going to happen to you), find a trainer at your gym to teach you the lift in-person.
    No brain, no gain.

"The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

Where the mind goes, the body follows.

Ironwill Gym:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=629719403&postcount=3388

Ironwill2008 Journal:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157459343&p=1145168733

mikeengel has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mikeengel has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mikeengel has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mikeengel has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mikeengel has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mikeengel has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mikeengel has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mikeengel has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mikeengel has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mikeengel has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mikeengel has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    PS Look at top sticky

mikay456 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mikay456 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mikay456 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mikay456 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mikay456 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mikay456 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mikay456 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mikay456 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mikay456 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mikay456 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mikay456 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    concentrate as hard as you f***ing can to keep an arch in your lower back
    0+

Free LCTW

I WILL fix the form on my own and get it down.

I really don't think I am that far off from getting it right. I am practicing right now, and by getting my but out but down lower it is MUCH easier to keep my back arched properly.

I will film again on wednesday and post again, but I really dont think i am that far away from getting it down and by keeping my butt down farther I think most of the other problems will fix themselves.

do you agree?
    No I don't agree. you are going to hurt yourself hire a trainer.

I do not have sound =(

sorry

HOW THE HELL DO YOU EXPECT TO LEARN IF YOU CAN'T HEAR THE INSTRUCTIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Gallix23 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Gallix23 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Gallix23 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Gallix23 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Gallix23 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Gallix23 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Gallix23 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Gallix23 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Gallix23 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Your new form is close, but you really have to focus on keeping a straight back and getting more parallel with your legs. Straight leg (romanian) deadlifts are done somewhat like what you were doing in the 1st vid, but a true deadlift if more of a squatting motion than a bending over motion, really focus on kicking your butt out and get those quads parallel. The bar will scrape your legs, but that's all part of the fun of doing deads!

You can't sculpt a pebble Metal_Lust's Avatar
    Metal_Lust is just really nice. (+1000) Metal_Lust is just really nice. (+1000) Metal_Lust is just really nice. (+1000) Metal_Lust is just really nice. (+1000) Metal_Lust is just really nice. (+1000) Metal_Lust is just really nice. (+1000) Metal_Lust is just really nice. (+1000) Metal_Lust is just really nice. (+1000) Metal_Lust is just really nice. (+1000) Metal_Lust is just really nice. (+1000) Metal_Lust is just really nice. (+1000)
    This is how your starting position should look like:

Shins touching the bar, your back set & about a 45 degree angle & keep it that way DON'T let it round like your doing in your vid. & remember to drag the bar up your leg, it'll ALWAYS be touching your skin. Up the shins & up the thighs then reverse it back down.

Lifting with Power allergic2rice's Avatar
    allergic2rice is a name known to all. (+5000) allergic2rice is a name known to all. (+5000) allergic2rice is a name known to all. (+5000) allergic2rice is a name known to all. (+5000) allergic2rice is a name known to all. (+5000) allergic2rice is a name known to all. (+5000) allergic2rice is a name known to all. (+5000) allergic2rice is a name known to all. (+5000) allergic2rice is a name known to all. (+5000) allergic2rice is a name known to all. (+5000) allergic2rice is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by Metal_Lust View Post

Shins touching the bar, your back set & about a 45 degree angle & keep it that way DON'T let it round like your doing in your vid. & remember to drag the bar up your leg, it'll ALWAYS be touching your skin. Up the shins & up the thighs then reverse it back down.
    I don't agree with this. the only place the bar touches my legs are the mid to upper shins. shouldn't really be touching your leg the entire movement
    Forum Representative
    Next Generation Nutrition
    http://www.glyco-energy.com/

***Los Angeles MISC Crew***

www.strengthsociety.com
    Powerlifting, Nutrition, Mobility

Dungerdoo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dungerdoo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dungerdoo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dungerdoo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dungerdoo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dungerdoo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dungerdoo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dungerdoo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dungerdoo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dungerdoo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dungerdoo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by ironwill2008 View Post
    OP, rather than trying to teach yourself the lift, and get injured (which is what is going to happen to you), find a trainer at your gym to teach you the lift in-person.

problem with that is, you ask a personal trainer at the gym to show you how to deadlift and he'll look at you quizically then ask, "you mean preacher curls?" then hand you a swiss ball.

OP just go to the library and use a computer with sound. problem solve for christ sake. where there is a will there is a way.

one things for sure... dont keep doing what you are doing.

Dungerdoo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dungerdoo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dungerdoo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dungerdoo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dungerdoo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dungerdoo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dungerdoo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dungerdoo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dungerdoo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dungerdoo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dungerdoo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    i dont even know how OP can dead like that without his back feeling like total crap the next day....

gunit00 is just really nice. (+1000) gunit00 is just really nice. (+1000) gunit00 is just really nice. (+1000) gunit00 is just really nice. (+1000) gunit00 is just really nice. (+1000) gunit00 is just really nice. (+1000) gunit00 is just really nice. (+1000) gunit00 is just really nice. (+1000) gunit00 is just really nice. (+1000) gunit00 is just really nice. (+1000) gunit00 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Please put the weight DOWN!!! now. Step back. Breathe. and read starting strength.

you also clearly havent read this article either, which is clearly posted in the deadlifting 101 sticky at the top of this forum. which you obviously havent looked at either. why you havent i have no freaking idea. i think you are seriously failing to grasp the concept that you shouldnt be winging a deadlift. do your homework. do it for real.

http://www.crossfit.com/journal/libr...ofDeadlift.pdf

RoccoTanno123 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RoccoTanno123 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RoccoTanno123 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RoccoTanno123 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RoccoTanno123 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RoccoTanno123 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RoccoTanno123 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RoccoTanno123 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RoccoTanno123 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RoccoTanno123 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RoccoTanno123 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Metal_Lust View Post

I'm going to have to disagree...but only slightly

the 3 main factors to proper DL form are

1. back fully extended
    2. feet under the bar w/ shins touching
    3. scapula directly above the bar (so you're shoulders and arms will be slightly ahead)

how that looks can vary with different bodytypes, but as long as those 3 criteria are met then the DL's form is fine.