Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    stitchen has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) stitchen has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) stitchen has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) stitchen has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) stitchen has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) stitchen has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) stitchen has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) stitchen has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) stitchen has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) stitchen has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) stitchen has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

BODYBUILDING WITH IBS (irritable bowel syndrome)

Does anybody have any tips on how to pack on the muscle whilst cursed with this wretced ailment? any advice on diet, workout routines etc would be greatly appreciated.

I have been bodybuilding for nearly three years, i was your average tall skinny guy 6'3" , 153 pounds. With a lot of hard work and help from protein supplements i managed to reach my goal of 230 pounds.

However, i was diagnosed with IBS six months ago when i took really sick, the doctor ordered me off all supplements and in turn i dropped to 180 pounds! after four months of hard work and sheer hell i am now sitting at 195 pounds but cant seem to go any further.

my diet is all over the place at the moment as i am still experimenting with foods i can tolerate but i eat clean foods only and my routine has gone to shyte as i find working out two days in a row totally burns me out.
    anybody got any idea's?

Bamma has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Bamma has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Bamma has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Bamma has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Bamma has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Bamma has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Bamma has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Bamma has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Bamma has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Bamma has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Bamma has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by stitchen View Post
    Does anybody have any tips on how to pack on the muscle whilst cursed with this wretced ailment? any advice on diet, workout routines etc would be greatly appreciated.

I have been bodybuilding for nearly three years, i was your average tall skinny guy 6'3" , 153 pounds. With a lot of hard work and help from protein supplements i managed to reach my goal of 230 pounds.

However, i was diagnosed with IBS six months ago when i took really sick, the doctor ordered me off all supplements and in turn i dropped to 180 pounds! after four months of hard work and sheer hell i am now sitting at 195 pounds but cant seem to go any further.

my diet is all over the place at the moment as i am still experimenting with foods i can tolerate but i eat clean foods only and my routine has gone to shyte as i find working out two days in a row totally burns me out.
    anybody got any idea's?

You know that IBS is a diagnosis of exclusion, right? Basically they test you for everything they can think of, and when they all come back negative, they just say what you have is IBS. IBS can be any number of things (you could have a lot of unexplained indigestion, diarrhea, constipation, stomach pain, anything). I have IBS, and will not say on here which type, at least not for everyone to hear. It got me discharged from the Navy medically. 14 years later, I still have problems with it. However, eating a much cleaner diet definitely helps in my case. I would be okay to go into more details via PM, but prefer to not do so in the open forum (people probably do not wanna read about our IBS on here).
    Roll Tide

Consciousness: The annoying time between naps.

I wouldn't touch the metric system with a 3.048m pole.

There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I've dealt with IBS for at least 25 years. Cleaning up my diet through the years helped tremendously (alcohol, spicy food, etc). I ignored the dairy portion for years, not wanting to give up milk and yogurt, but couldn't ignore it as of a few years ago. Dropping all forms of milk protein has helped tremendously. Ditching gluten too. I still get spasms but they aren't anywhere near as bad as in prior years.

I think once you have a decent episode going it feeds on itself and just takes time to calm down. Taking something like levsin can help along with cleaning up your diet. You're probably better off tracking your fiber and taking it up very slowly.

I do well with the typical clean diet foods, chicken, tuna, salmon, McCann's oatmeal, sweet potatoes, squash, quinoa, sunflower butter, etc. I just have to watch how much olive oil I consume.

stitchen has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) stitchen has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) stitchen has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) stitchen has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) stitchen has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) stitchen has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) stitchen has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) stitchen has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) stitchen has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) stitchen has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) stitchen has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Bamma View Post
    You know that IBS is a diagnosis of exclusion, right? Basically they test you for everything they can think of, and when they all come back negative, they just say what you have is IBS. IBS can be any number of things (you could have a lot of unexplained indigestion, diarrhea, constipation, stomach pain, anything). I have IBS, and will not say on here which type, at least not for everyone to hear. It got me discharged from the Navy medically. 14 years later, I still have problems with it. However, eating a much cleaner diet definitely helps in my case. I would be okay to go into more details via PM, but prefer to not do so in the open forum (people probably do not wanna read about our IBS on here).
    by all means PM me, thanks.

Originally Posted by freebirdmac View Post
    I've dealt with IBS for at least 25 years. Cleaning up my diet through the years helped tremendously (alcohol, spicy food, etc). I ignored the dairy portion for years, not wanting to give up milk and yogurt, but couldn't ignore it as of a few years ago. Dropping all forms of milk protein has helped tremendously. Ditching gluten too. I still get spasms but they aren't anywhere near as bad as in prior years.

I think once you have a decent episode going it feeds on itself and just takes time to calm down. Taking something like levsin can help along with cleaning up your diet. You're probably better off tracking your fiber and taking it up very slowly.

I do well with the typical clean diet foods, chicken, tuna, salmon, McCann's oatmeal, sweet potatoes, squash, quinoa, sunflower butter, etc. I just have to watch how much olive oil I consume.
    i stopped dairy products for a couple of months and took soya milk etc but it made no difference

freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    List up the foods you do eat. Maybe we'll spot something. Anything can be a trigger and you can develop food intolerances as you age. I sure have

Ass courtesy of StepMill, Kate1's Avatar
    Kate1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Kate1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Kate1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Kate1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Kate1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Kate1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Kate1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Kate1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Kate1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Kate1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Kate1 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Add fiber! Lots of fiber.
    Ass courtesy of: Step Mill, Hack Squats, Leg Press, Leg Curls, stiff legged deads, and Smith Machine lunges! :)

JC480 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JC480 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JC480 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JC480 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JC480 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JC480 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JC480 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JC480 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JC480 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JC480 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JC480 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Fruits/vegetables/lean meats

Eat everything plain...stop experimenting with foods. Plain food won't mess you up...spices and processed food will.

If you keep a super clean diet, IBS shouldn't interfere with your lift routine. But sneaking a taco or a double cheese burger now and then sounds like it will mess you up.

Eat like a priest for a while and see how that works.

immuno is a name known to all. (+5000) immuno is a name known to all. (+5000) immuno is a name known to all. (+5000) immuno is a name known to all. (+5000) immuno is a name known to all. (+5000) immuno is a name known to all. (+5000) immuno is a name known to all. (+5000) immuno is a name known to all. (+5000) immuno is a name known to all. (+5000) immuno is a name known to all. (+5000) immuno is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by JC480 View Post
    Fruits/vegetables/lean meats

Eat everything plain...stop experimenting with foods. Plain food won't mess you up...spices and processed food will.
    I seriously think that processed food is pretty much the bain of us all.

Probably the gentlest diet you can give your stomach is brown rice and steamed/cooked vegetables....especially squashes.... and in smaller, more frequent sittings. Apparently, the stomach has a MUCH easier time digesting vegetables when they are cooked/steamed (Not microwaved)

Stenn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Stenn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Stenn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Stenn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Stenn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Stenn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Stenn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Stenn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Stenn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Stenn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Stenn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    anybody got any idea's?
    Like others have mentioned, I get the impression that IBS can be caused by pretty much anything. My wife was diagnosed with it a while back when she was still eating like crap. Her fix was to stop drinking coffee. Problem solved! However, she's now eating squeaky-clean, has dropped a bunch of weight, and is doing her best to ensure that Starbuck's survives the economic recession. I expected this behavior to lead back to the doctor's office but so far, so good.

Bamma has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Bamma has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Bamma has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Bamma has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Bamma has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Bamma has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Bamma has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Bamma has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Bamma has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Bamma has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Bamma has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Not to be an alarmist here, and I sent this in my PM to you as well, but I would also check on that diagnosis. I do not know what your symptoms are, and like I said, any number of things can get labeled as IBS. But also as I mentioned, IBS is a diagnosis of exclusion. Before the docs went with that diagnosis I was checked for every other possibility(some very painful and embarrassing tests were included in this...you don't want to know, seriously). Of course, I was in the Navy and a nuke submariner, so they had to get it right. But I am not sure how your docs came to the conclusion that this is actually what you have. It is pretty common, but does share symptoms with other things that are not so benign. I would hate to think you are running around with something worse and do not know it because your doc was too lazy to check or your PPO would not pay for the tests. Most likely, you have IBS, but I would still try to make sure that is what it is.
    Roll Tide

There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

bodyrokk is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bodyrokk is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bodyrokk is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bodyrokk is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bodyrokk is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bodyrokk is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bodyrokk is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bodyrokk is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bodyrokk is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bodyrokk is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bodyrokk is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    can u guys tell me what it feels like when u get attack..im thinkin maybe this could be my problem . Drs cant figure it out ,they say its anxiety..i get stomach pain bloating ..have trouble goin to bathroom and when i do go even just alittle it is such a relief..but i get real sick throat fells like it swells and heart palps and even gone into Afib ...
    It seems there's always something. Tryin' to bring a good man down. I have no fear of falling. But I hate hitting the ground ...

BalloonKnot is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BalloonKnot is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BalloonKnot is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BalloonKnot is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BalloonKnot is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BalloonKnot is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BalloonKnot is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BalloonKnot is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BalloonKnot is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BalloonKnot is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BalloonKnot is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    What are you talking for a probiotic?

I had horrible IBS the entire month of May and a nutritionist at Rockwell Nutrition put me on the following:

Genestra HMF no FOS - To implant the good bacteria into my intestin
    Genestra Berberis Formula - Kill the bad bacteria and I now use instead of anti-biotics with great results.
    Genestra Herbal Bulk - To push out the bad pacteria (Magnesium glycinate and phylum husks would work too)
    Glutamine - 5g with every meal for intestine support

I added high doses of Carlson Lab's fish oils - 30g+ per day.

I am free an clear of IBS and maintaining with Genestra HMF Forte, phylum husks, and high doses of Carlson Lab's fish oil.

I was losing weight at the time and fell below 180 briefly. Call them to advise you on what to order: 1.866.757.4500 x701

I have to stay away from gluten and that has made a huge difference. I like fat and protein much better anyway.
    Last edited by marmadogg; 07-20-2009 at 07:55 AM. Reason: add text
    "The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work."-T. Edison-

"Governments should also decrease the role of economists - they're no more reliable than astrologers, and they do more damage."-N. Taleb-

"A fundamental characteristic of our economy is that the financial system swings between robustness and fragility, and these swings are an integral part of the process that generates business cycles."-H. Minsky-

Originally Posted by bodyrokk View Post
    can u guys tell me what it feels like when u get attack..im thinkin maybe this could be my problem . Drs cant figure it out ,they say its anxiety..i get stomach pain bloating ..have trouble goin to bathroom and when i do go even just alittle it is such a relief..but i get real sick throat fells like it swells and heart palps and even gone into Afib ...
    Yeah, that sounds familiar. Spasms can slow down the processing of food leading to GERD and irritate the vagus nerve.

XX400EX is just really nice. (+1000) XX400EX is just really nice. (+1000) XX400EX is just really nice. (+1000) XX400EX is just really nice. (+1000) XX400EX is just really nice. (+1000) XX400EX is just really nice. (+1000) XX400EX is just really nice. (+1000) XX400EX is just really nice. (+1000) XX400EX is just really nice. (+1000) XX400EX is just really nice. (+1000) XX400EX is just really nice. (+1000)
    Hello i tried alot of differnt meds from the dr for mine none worked. Then i started to take an amodium ad in the morning and now im fine no more runs or cramping. Maybe this will be helpfull for you too.

Gary1911A1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Gary1911A1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Gary1911A1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Gary1911A1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Gary1911A1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Gary1911A1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Gary1911A1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Gary1911A1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Gary1911A1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Gary1911A1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Gary1911A1 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I have UC and use to have bad bleeding and cramps that would bend me over. Watch your diet. We're all a little different, but if you have UC stay away from spicy foods, nuts and other hard foods that can irritate your ulcers.

List up the foods you do eat. Maybe we'll spot something. Anything can be a trigger and you can develop food intolerances as you age. I sure have
    ok, an average day:

breakfast, bowl of instant porridge ( or museli ) with flaxseed
    2 eggs ( cant tolerate anymore than two)
    glass of orange juice.

2 hours later, build up nutrition shake

2 hours later pre wo
    potatoes or pasta
    fish
    veg
    glass of fruit juice

post wo
    rice (white, should i change this to brown? )
    meat ( sometimes mince meat, steak, or processed)
    peice of fruit & glass of fruit juice

3 hours later
    chicken breast
    salad
    2x brown bread
    peice of fruit

before bed
    cottage cheese
    flax seed

Originally Posted by marmadogg View Post
    What are you talking for a probiotic?

I had horrible IBS the entire month of May and a nutritionist at Rockwell Nutrition put me on the following:

Genestra HMF no FOS - To implant the good bacteria into my intestin
    Genestra Berberis Formula - Kill the bad bacteria and I now use instead of anti-biotics with great results.
    Genestra Herbal Bulk - To push out the bad pacteria (Magnesium glycinate and phylum husks would work too)
    Glutamine - 5g with every meal for intestine support

I added high doses of Carlson Lab's fish oils - 30g+ per day.

I am free an clear of IBS and maintaining with Genestra HMF Forte, phylum husks, and high doses of Carlson Lab's fish oil.

I was losing weight at the time and fell below 180 briefly. Call them to advise you on what to order: 1.866.757.4500 x701

I have to stay away from gluten and that has made a huge difference. I like fat and protein much better anyway.
    i tryed some probiotics and digestive enzymes but both just made me worse lol

Generally IBS is not something you get and then it goes away. If you have IBS, you are just the type who is more susceptible than most to issues with your digestion. It can definitely be controlled in various ways, but you always have it. You step outside of the diet plan for a couple meals, bam, you will remember why you went on the diet in the first place. Have a little alcohol when it is something that was an issue for you before and you will remember why you quit drinking. I almost never have issues these days. But all it takes is one bad meal, and trouble hits me hard. So those who say they are completely cured either are not, or never had IBS to begin with.
    Roll Tide

pac8x8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) pac8x8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) pac8x8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) pac8x8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) pac8x8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) pac8x8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) pac8x8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) pac8x8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) pac8x8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) pac8x8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) pac8x8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Yes change it to Brown Rice and I wouldn't be eating or drinking fruit with every meal... the acids from Fruit and/or the over consumption of liquid at mealtime are worsening/causing the IBS because your body is trying to digest.
    When on probiotics and digestive enzymes, unless you're fasting... you can eat a lot. If really confused on what to eat, ask LyingSac's trainer what he recommends him to follow.

edit: If you do have fruit in your meal plan, try "a little bit" of whole fresh ripe pineapple (canned last resort) for the enzymes (not just juice)... This will actually aid in digestion.
    http://ezinearticles.com/?id=924403

ok, an average day:

breakfast, bowl of instant porridge ( or museli ) with flaxseed
    2 eggs ( cant tolerate anymore than two)
    glass of orange juice.

2 hours later, build up nutrition shake

2 hours later pre wo
    potatoes or pasta
    fish
    veg
    glass of fruit juice

post wo
    rice (white, should i change this to brown? )
    meat ( sometimes mince meat, steak, or processed)
    peice of fruit & glass of fruit juice

3 hours later
    chicken breast
    salad
    2x brown bread
    peice of fruit

before bed
    cottage cheese
    flax seed

You may be able to reduce diarrhea if you limit or eliminate the following foods and beverages:

* Alcohol
    * Caffeine, which is found in coffee, tea, cola drinks, and chocolate
    * Nicotine, from smoking or chewing tobacco
    * Gas-producing foods, such as beans, broccoli, cabbage, and apples
    * Dairy products that contain lactose (milk sugar), such as ice cream, milk, cheese, and sour cream
    * Foods and drinks high in sugar, especially fruit juice, soda, candy, and other packaged sweets (such as cookies)
    * Foods high in fat, including bacon, sausage, butter, oils, and anything deep-fried
    * Sorbitol and xylitol, artificial sweeteners found in some sugarless candies and chewing gum
    websource
    http://health.yahoo.com/digestive-tr...96.html#uf4698
    Last edited by pac8x8; 07-20-2009 at 02:53 PM.

[QUOTE=pac8x8;359753811]Yes change it to Brown Rice and I wouldn't be eating or drinking fruit with every meal... the acids from Fruit and/or the over consumption of liquid at mealtime are worsening/causing the IBS because you're body is trying to digest.
    When on probiotics and digestive enzymes, unless you're fasting... you can eat a lot. If you're really confused on what to eat, ask LyingSac's trainer what he recommended him to follow.

You may be able to reduce diarrhea if you limit or eliminate the following foods and beverages:

* Alcohol
    * Caffeine, which is found in coffee, tea, cola drinks, and chocolate
    * Nicotine, from smoking or chewing tobacco
    * Gas-producing foods, such as beans, broccoli, cabbage, and apples
    * Dairy products that contain lactose (milk sugar), such as ice cream, milk, cheese, and sour cream
    * Foods and drinks high in sugar, especially fruit juice, soda, candy, and other packaged sweets (such as cookies)
    * Foods high in fat, including bacon, sausage, butter, oils, and anything deep-fried
    * Sorbitol and xylitol, artificial sweeteners found in some sugarless candies and chewing gum

i dont have the diarrhea symptom of it, more of a very very slow gi tract. funny thing is, when i stop bodybuilding and eat like a regular person most of my symptoms die away.

however quitting bodybuilding for me is NOT an option, not more than three years ago i suffered a serious mental breakdown due to the loss of a sibling, developed an eating dissorder and abused a lot of drugs and alcohol leading to taking every antidepressant in the book. picked up a set of dumbells one day and in no time, kicked everything that was bad for me lol. bodybuilding saved me from a path of certain destruction.

think i will cut down on the fruit a bit

pac8x8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) pac8x8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) pac8x8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) pac8x8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) pac8x8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) pac8x8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) pac8x8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) pac8x8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) pac8x8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) pac8x8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) pac8x8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    i dont have the diarrhea symptom of it, more of a very very slow gi tract. funny thing is, when i stop bodybuilding and eat like a regular person most of my symptoms die away.

however quitting bodybuilding for me is NOT an option, not more than three years ago i suffered a serious mental breakdown due to the loss of a sibling, developed an eating dissorder and abused a lot of drugs and alcohol leading to taking every antidepressant in the book. picked up a set of dumbells one day and in no time, kicked everything that was bad for me lol. bodybuilding saved me from a path of certain destruction.
    Sorry to hear about your loss and bbing is probably the best coping mechanism there is ..I mean it was for me when I had loss of close family.

-I hope you read the link thoroughly (here it is again).
    http://health.yahoo.com/digestive-tr...96.html#uf4698

If you haven't already scoured the net looking for answers...
    here is another w/ tons of good info:
    "Acidic foods such as citrus and vinegar are often as problematic for IBS."
    websource-http://www.helpforibs.com/diet/faq.asp

think i will cut down on the fruit a bit
    I would say the liquids too, since backed up... interference in digestion because of all the fruit juice, even water will wash away your enzymes needed for the whole process. To give you an example personally, I wait a 1/2 hour to an hour after a meal before drinking water and avoid excessive drink right before eating.

Flaxseed drives my gut crazy. Cottage cheese could be iffy. Same with OJ. What do you mean you can't tolerate more than 2 eggs?

IBS doesn't speed or slow things down for me, but it will make me feel like things have slowed down. I had to increase fiber and protein slowly. That may be the difference between your "normal" diet and your bodybuilding diet.

Flaxseed drives my gut crazy. Cottage cheese could be iffy. Same with OJ. What do you mean you can't tolerate more than 2 eggs?

IBS doesn't speed or slow things down for me, but it will make me feel like things have slowed down. I had to increase fiber and protein slowly. That may be the difference between your "normal" diet and your bodybuilding diet.
    The only time I can "tolerate" cottage cheese is an hour before workout on occasion. Can't eat it too often otherwise.

Originally Posted by pac8x8 View Post
    Sorry to hear about your loss and bbing is probably the best coping mechanism there is ..I mean it was for me when I had loss of close family.

thanks dude, bodybuilding is the only coping mechanism for me lol

I would say the liquids too, since backed up... interference in digestion because of all the fruit juice, even water will wash away your enzymes needed for the whole process. To give you an example personally, I wait a 1/2 hour to an hour after a meal before drinking water and avoid excessive drink right before eating.
    i'll give the no liquids around meal times thing a go for a while. as for the fruit intake, i only really started the volume to get fibre in with each meal, what variety of fibre do you take during the day?

for some reason i function a lot better with flax seed, as long as i dont take too much. cottage cheese really does not agree with me but i find without it my gains are close to none.

before i took my condition i would eat 2 eggs and 2 egg whites for breakfast but these days just 2 eggs can make me uncomfortable any more than that just ruins the rest of my day!

12Bbigger is on a distinguished road. (+10) 12Bbigger is on a distinguished road. (+10) 12Bbigger is on a distinguished road. (+10) 12Bbigger is on a distinguished road. (+10) 12Bbigger is on a distinguished road. (+10) 12Bbigger is on a distinguished road. (+10) 12Bbigger is on a distinguished road. (+10) 12Bbigger is on a distinguished road. (+10) 12Bbigger is on a distinguished road. (+10) 12Bbigger is on a distinguished road. (+10) 12Bbigger is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Sorry to hear about your IBS and the difficulty it's causing you. I've got Crohn's and Pancreatitis, so can relate to the dietary limitations and how it stunts your muscle-building efforts.

As others said, any dairy can cause problems, so the cottage cheese could be a problem. One of the other ones you mentioned that stands out for me is salad. I have a real difficult time digesting any kind of lettuce and/or raw vegetable.

What are the ingredients in your nutrition shake? Anything with dairy and/or high in sugar and fat could be giving you problems.

I usually do best when I stick to tuna, egg whites, chicken and fish for protein; baked potatoes/yams, brown rice, whole wheat bread (Wonder Soft) and some fruit for carbs; and steamed/cooked veggies like broccoli for fiber. Simply Jif and, if you can tolerate them, bananas, on the whole wheat bread in between meals adds a good bit of calories without having to eat junk food and/or dairy to get them.

Good luck, man, and keep on pumping. Like you, working out is my drug of choice when it comes to dealing with things, so don't quit!

for some reason i function a lot better with flax seed, as long as i dont take too much. cottage cheese really does not agree with me but i find without it my gains are close to none.

before i took my condition i would eat 2 eggs and 2 egg whites for breakfast but these days just 2 eggs can make me uncomfortable any more than that just ruins the rest of my day!
    Hmmm, the egg thing is suspicious. Do you ever get hives or wheezing after eating?

There's nothing in cottage cheese that can't be replaced by other food.

The fiber in flaxseed is probably helping. Again the key is ramping up slowly on fiber and protein.

i'll give the no liquids around meal times thing a go for a while. as for the fruit intake, i only really started the volume to get fibre in with each meal, what variety of fibre do you take during the day?
    Love eggs! but not w/ orange juice, it's too acidic and would make me vomit 'em up. I do not drink nor buy it for that matter, however would eat a whole orange later in the morning if avail, but prefer a fresh grapefruit. I bet if you simply cut out the juice, you could eat 4+ large eggs w/ ease.

The lack of drink around mealtime really helps me assimilate most foods better and enables me to consume tons of favorites like grease laden burgers and whole pizzas without any trouble.

Honestly, I don't hardly consume that much fruit fiber; however, do eat way more veggies, mainly to stay lean. When I feel the need to consume fruit (rare occasion), it's far & away from a 'meat and potato' meal. Food combinations are essential to avoiding backed up hurt situations.
    Note this 1st chart: "Avoid eating fruit for at least 3 hours after eating other foods"
    & "After eating fruit, allow at least 30 minutes before eating any other foods"

note this 2nd chart: "Do not eat fruit with any other food"