Bracket199 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Bracket199 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Bracket199 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Bracket199 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Bracket199 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Bracket199 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Bracket199 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Bracket199 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Bracket199 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Bracket199 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Bracket199 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

My knees shake when I squat going back up.

I don't have a rack so I use some-what light weights when I perform the barbell squat. I can grab the bar, throw it over my head, and rest it on my shoulders with ease.

I feel however, when I'm going down, I go down parallel, however I go down very fast. And when I go back up to finish the rep, my knees sometimes slightly shake.

I need some help on how to improve this!

*EDIT* I should also add, I can still feel my quads being worked after I am done.

Real World Boxing Advice djartek's Avatar
    djartek is a jewel in the rough. (+500) djartek is a jewel in the rough. (+500) djartek is a jewel in the rough. (+500) djartek is a jewel in the rough. (+500) djartek is a jewel in the rough. (+500) djartek is a jewel in the rough. (+500) djartek is a jewel in the rough. (+500) djartek is a jewel in the rough. (+500) djartek is a jewel in the rough. (+500) djartek is a jewel in the rough. (+500) djartek is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by Bracket199 View Post
    I don't have a rack so I use some-what light weights when I perform the barbell squat. I can grab the bar, throw it over my head, and rest it on my shoulders with ease.

I feel however, when I'm going down, I go down parallel, however I go down very fast. And when I go back up to finish the rep, my knees sometimes slightly shake.

*EDIT* I should also add, I can still feel my quads being worked after I am done.
    search the forum for squat techniques and fixes. You have to spread the floor, activate your glutes, and get more flexible.
    Youtube.com/PalacBoxing
    I'll answer your boxing and combat questions. Just PM me
    "Patience, persistence, determination, and an unstoppable drive to be better than yesterday."

Location: N.Ireland - Scotland, United Kingdom (Great Britain)
    matt297 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) matt297 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) matt297 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) matt297 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) matt297 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) matt297 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) matt297 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) matt297 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) matt297 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) matt297 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) matt297 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    If you feel your quads getting worked a lot you might be squatting on the front of your feet. Make sure you lift from the heels. To make sure you do this curl your toes UP so you cant shift the weight. Your knee(s) might shake because of this too as the weight gets distributed toward the knee when you squat from the front of your feet, and/or because you have a bias toward putting the majority of the weight onto one leg.

Also make sure you SIT BACK on the downward movement of the squat. DONT bend at the knees first, sit back first.

Might take you a little while to get your balance if either of these are your problem.
    "Be like water making its way through cracks. Do not be assertive, but adjust to the object, and you shall find a way round or through it. If nothing within you stays rigid, outward things will disclose themselves…" - Dao de Ching

The biggest secret in life is not that we go through life discovering ourselves but that we go through life creating our selves. Think about that.

Alphalfa is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Alphalfa is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Alphalfa is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Alphalfa is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Alphalfa is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Alphalfa is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Alphalfa is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Alphalfa is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Alphalfa is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Alphalfa is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Alphalfa is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Try not to descend so quickly...your knees are most likely not ready for the load and begin shaking once you slow down to shift directions. Smooth/controlled movements. Control the weight on the descent. It is also advisable to break parallel, but that's a subject for a different discussion.
    "Everyone has a plan 'til they get punched in the mouth" - Mike Tyson

WRXbrah is a name known to all. (+5000) WRXbrah is a name known to all. (+5000) WRXbrah is a name known to all. (+5000) WRXbrah is a name known to all. (+5000) WRXbrah is a name known to all. (+5000) WRXbrah is a name known to all. (+5000) WRXbrah is a name known to all. (+5000) WRXbrah is a name known to all. (+5000) WRXbrah is a name known to all. (+5000) WRXbrah is a name known to all. (+5000) WRXbrah is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by Bracket199 View Post

Just means you have weak legs like me. Gotta build strength by consistently doing squats. It'll take time. I do box 3x5 and ATGs 3x5 and over a month and half Ive increased my squats by 20pounds. Nothing impressive but if you saw the size of my legs, youd understand :P

Real World Boxing Advice djartek's Avatar
    djartek is a jewel in the rough. (+500) djartek is a jewel in the rough. (+500) djartek is a jewel in the rough. (+500) djartek is a jewel in the rough. (+500) djartek is a jewel in the rough. (+500) djartek is a jewel in the rough. (+500) djartek is a jewel in the rough. (+500) djartek is a jewel in the rough. (+500) djartek is a jewel in the rough. (+500) djartek is a jewel in the rough. (+500) djartek is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by matt297 View Post
    Also make sure you SIT BACK on the downward movement of the squat. DONT bend at the knees first, sit back first.
    You can break at the knees first it all depends what type of squat you are trying to do...Olympic Squats usually break at the knee's first powerlifters sit back first.

Both squats have their places in a routine.
    Youtube.com/PalacBoxing
    I'll answer your boxing and combat questions. Just PM me
    "Patience, persistence, determination, and an unstoppable drive to be better than yesterday."

Professional Powerhouse TheChest's Avatar
    TheChest is just really nice. (+1000) TheChest is just really nice. (+1000) TheChest is just really nice. (+1000) TheChest is just really nice. (+1000) TheChest is just really nice. (+1000) TheChest is just really nice. (+1000) TheChest is just really nice. (+1000) TheChest is just really nice. (+1000) TheChest is just really nice. (+1000) TheChest is just really nice. (+1000) TheChest is just really nice. (+1000)
    I had a problem like this a few years ago. Saw a physio about it. My muscle tracking was off. This meant that the wrong muscles fired at the wrong time therefore causing my knee to swerve or shake when I would squat. Try some 1 legged squats using your body weight. It helped me out.
    AKA TheBack.

Hayeder is on a distinguished road. (+10) Hayeder is on a distinguished road. (+10) Hayeder is on a distinguished road. (+10) Hayeder is on a distinguished road. (+10) Hayeder is on a distinguished road. (+10) Hayeder is on a distinguished road. (+10) Hayeder is on a distinguished road. (+10) Hayeder is on a distinguished road. (+10) Hayeder is on a distinguished road. (+10) Hayeder is on a distinguished road. (+10) Hayeder is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    your problem is your descent - assuming you are performing the rest of the squat properly, which tbh you aren't if you aren't going as low as you can possibly go (increase flexibility & lower back strength for more depth). Your fast descent means that your muscles are only engaging in the concentric (driving up) part of the movement, you are quickly changing the forces on your knees so they wobble and could one day get injured. Control your descent and feel the weight on your muscles, this way your muscles are engaged the whole way through the movement.

you should do at least a good few hours researching squat technique, just to make sure you are on point.

you should either build/invest in a rack or get to a gym IMO

theshoupguy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) theshoupguy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) theshoupguy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) theshoupguy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) theshoupguy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) theshoupguy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) theshoupguy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) theshoupguy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) theshoupguy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) theshoupguy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) theshoupguy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by Hayeder View Post
    your problem is your descent - assuming you are performing the rest of the squat properly, which tbh you aren't if you aren't going as low as you can possibly go (increase flexibility & lower back strength for more depth). Your fast descent means that your muscles are only engaging in the concentric (driving up) part of the movement, you are quickly changing the forces on your knees so they wobble and could one day get injured. Control your descent and feel the weight on your muscles, this way your muscles are engaged the whole way through the movement.

you should do at least a good few hours researching squat technique, just to make sure you are on point.

you should either build/invest in a rack or get to a gym IMO
    O HAY

You should post your ATG vid for instructional purposes.
    the crew that poop poop poops crews crew
    ω