Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Supfreak26 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Supfreak26 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Supfreak26 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Supfreak26 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Supfreak26 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Supfreak26 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Supfreak26 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Supfreak26 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Supfreak26 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Supfreak26 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Supfreak26 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Originally Posted by freebirdmac View Post
    I'd start you at 2800 cals and 40/30/30.
    I went on Fitday and found that my current diet has me at 2049 calories, 266g Protein, 111g carbs, 58g fat.

So that's 61/26/13

Any ideas on what I can add to balance this out a little better and add about 750 calories?

Replacing my cheerios with oatmeal only adds 8g of carbs. What other good carbs can I eat? Fruits?

canadianwoman will become famous soon enough. (+50) canadianwoman will become famous soon enough. (+50) canadianwoman will become famous soon enough. (+50) canadianwoman will become famous soon enough. (+50) canadianwoman will become famous soon enough. (+50) canadianwoman will become famous soon enough. (+50) canadianwoman will become famous soon enough. (+50) canadianwoman will become famous soon enough. (+50) canadianwoman will become famous soon enough. (+50) canadianwoman will become famous soon enough. (+50) canadianwoman will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Supfreak26 View Post
    Quick question about this. I've always heard that you should take the weight you want to be, multiply by 10, and that's how many calories you eat. I'm assuming this holds true if you are not lifting or doing much exercise. The extra calories are needed in bodybuilding so that the body doesn't burn muscle for energy.

Is this basically correct?
    Geeze, I hope not otherwise I would only get to eat 1100 calories of food every day. (Yes I want to be 110 pounds...I am 5'3" tall)

bsshog has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) bsshog has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) bsshog has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) bsshog has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) bsshog has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) bsshog has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    You also mentioned something about slamming these drinks down. I have learned that you take these drinks like a nice beverage and take your time drinking them. Slamming the stomach with all that protien and vitamins at once may be causing this sickness you're getting. I like to take about 30 mins. to finish mine.

freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Quick question about this. I've always heard that you should take the weight you want to be, multiply by 10, and that's how many calories you eat. I'm assuming this holds true if you are not lifting or doing much exercise. The extra calories are needed in bodybuilding so that the body doesn't burn muscle for energy.

Nope. You set your calories based on your current weight, not your goal weight. And x10 is way too low.

I went on Fitday and found that my current diet has me at 2049 calories, 266g Protein, 111g carbs, 58g fat.

So that's 61/26/13

Any ideas on what I can add to balance this out a little better and add about 750 calories?

Replacing my cheerios with oatmeal only adds 8g of carbs. What other good carbs can I eat? Fruits?
    Carbs: oatmeal, sweet potatoes, quinoa, brown rice, beans, whole grain bread, bananas, blueberries, and other fruits.

Fats: olive oil, nuts, nut butters, seeds, seed butters, avocado, salmon, and flaxseed.

The Italian Scallion BrotherWolf's Avatar
    BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Nikonguy View Post
    Wut? No protein at breakfast??
    I had the same thought
    Milk, eggs, ham, bacon, steak and more eggs and cheese

no need for shakes if you can manage to eat enough protein from real food
    after all a protein shake is nothing but milk that was turned into whey and then dried to make a powder
    who says love has to be soft and gentle ?

Clarko is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Clarko is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Clarko is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Clarko is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Clarko is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Clarko is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Clarko is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Clarko is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Clarko is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Clarko is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Clarko is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by m.bowen View Post
    What do you mix them with? Milk? Maybe you're mildly lactose intolerant and didn't know it.
    whey protein and alot of the other ones would still bother him in water because they are milk derived and still have lactose.

reo4ua has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Try this one. I found it on the web somewhere and really like the taste. 29g fat, 58g carbs, 20.5g protein. Haven't worked on getting the fat out of it yet and I guess that's the biggest negative to this recipe.

* 2 cups of milk
    * 2 tablespoons chcolate milk syrup
    * 1/2 teaspoon dry chocolate pudding mix
    * 1/4 cup peanut butter
    * 1 banana
    * 1 cups ice

I really really don't like drinking protein shakes. I can usually slam them down but them my stomach is sick for hours.

My goal right now is to get lean. I'm working out 4 times a week and doing cardio at least 4 or 5 times a week. Eating 6 meals a day with protein in every meal but breakfast.

I'd rather eat real food than drink protein shakes. Are protein shakes absolutely necessary or can I achieve my goals without them? Any tasty substitutes? Ideas?

Anyone else do this without the shakes?

Clarko is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Clarko is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Clarko is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Clarko is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Clarko is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Clarko is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Clarko is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Clarko is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Clarko is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Clarko is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Clarko is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

So that's 61/26/13

Fruits are great in the mornings or pre workout. I wouldn't eat them late in the day. Here's an average day.

eggs, fruit, and whole wheat bread/oats for breakfast.

brown rice (white rice isn't bad either) and chicken cooked in canola/olive oil with lime tequilla salsa for meal 2

whole wheat spaghetti with chicken cooked in canola/olive oil in tomatoe sauce for meal 3

grilled salmon over a small bed of rice with veggies for meal 4

steak salad with a lite vinegarette dressing for meal 5

some low fat cottage cheese and pb 20 minutes before bed.

adjust portions for your needed calorie intake. There's tons of other stuff you can make. That's just an example of an average day.

Originally Posted by reo4ua View Post
    Try this one. I found it on the web somewhere and really like the taste. 29g fat, 58g carbs, 20.5g protein. Haven't worked on getting the fat out of it yet and I guess that's the biggest negative to this recipe.

* 2 cups of milk
    * 1/4 cup peanut butter
    * 1 banana
    * 1 cups ice
    I'm sure that tastes heavenly, but as you have said, that's too much fat (even though it's good fat from the peanut butter), and that chocolate milk syrup and pudding mix is not good for you. It might be alright post workout with less fat, but shakes really aren't needed. They are no different than the chicken, steak, or eggs you are eating. There's some pro's (with the exception of they're ads and stuff they film for their sponsors), that don't drink protein shakes at all. Just a big hearty meal immediately post-workout in the off season.
    Last edited by Clarko; 07-16-2009 at 07:31 PM.

pac8x8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) pac8x8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) pac8x8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) pac8x8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) pac8x8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) pac8x8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) pac8x8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) pac8x8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) pac8x8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) pac8x8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) pac8x8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I really really don't like drinking protein shakes. I can usually slam them down but them my stomach is sick for hours.

My goal right now is to get lean. I'm working out 4 times a week and doing cardio at least 4 or 5 times a week. Eating 6 meals a day with protein in every meal but breakfast.

I'd rather eat real food than drink protein shakes. Are protein shakes absolutely necessary or can I achieve my goals without them? Any tasty substitutes? Ideas?

no real tasty substitutes unless you're willing to modify your palate quite a bit, most people won't.

Originally Posted by m.bowen View Post
    What do you mix them with? Milk? Maybe you're mildly lactose intolerant and didn't know it.

This^ and probably the artificial sweetener Sucralose which ON is laced with.... a study points to it killing your friendly flora and most likely is contributing to you feeling all sickly, even for a while after stopping its use.

Not only that, my own experiences led me to stop taking regularly... when my current supp stash with it is gone (and I rarely take), will not buy anymore crap if it's in there, period! ..or any artificial sweetener for that matter!!

BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by reo4ua View Post

* 2 cups of milk
    * 1/4 cup peanut butter
    * 1 banana
    * 1 cups ice
    That's a **** load of carbs form one drink ... 58 grams it's all sugar I'd drink something like that if I was trying to gain weight

Threadweaver- Psyche Hero hochspeyer's Avatar
    hochspeyer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hochspeyer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hochspeyer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hochspeyer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hochspeyer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hochspeyer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hochspeyer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hochspeyer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hochspeyer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hochspeyer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hochspeyer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by G8GXP View Post
    Gross comment alert

How digestable are protein shakes? On days where I have a pre and a post protein workout shake, I find that the next morning my stools are much softer - like a pudding. On days where I eat all protein from real foods, the stools are fine.

End Gross comment
    Originally Posted by Nikonguy View Post
    LOL, I get the opposite effect. When I have to have a 3rd shake to get my calories/protein in I get stopped up.
    As long as someone has broached the subject, does anyone know of any *ahem* solid research on the effects of protein on stool consistency? That is, it seems to be fairly common knowledge (from comments on bb.com, at least), that protein shake ingestion makes one windy. But, I'm wondering if shakes have a hardening/softening/frequency effect on one's solid waste production?

Supfreak26 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Supfreak26 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Supfreak26 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Supfreak26 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Supfreak26 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Supfreak26 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Supfreak26 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Supfreak26 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Supfreak26 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Supfreak26 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Supfreak26 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    How about this recipe?

Fruit Protein Shake:*
    ? 2 cups skim milk
    ? 1/2 banana
    ? 2 packets (46 grams) of dry non fat milk powder**
    ? 1 cup fruit (frozen to make it thicker and cooler. Strawberries are a personal favorite)
    Nutritional Facts: 443 Calories, 0.6 g. Fat, 25.5 g. Protein
    *Add 1 cup of natural low fat yogurt for more taste and thickness

This looks like something I might like. Blend it in some ice and sip it down. Doesn't mention carbs but I have room in my diet for plenty more right now so it should be ok.

Has anyone made their own shakes with the milk powder? Thoughts?

Has anyone made their own shakes with the milk powder? Thoughts?
    why powdered milk if you have to add a liquid.. just drink milk

Originally Posted by BrotherWolf View Post
    why powdered milk if you have to add a liquid.. just drink milk
    According to the article that I pulled this from, they were raving about the nutrional value of the powdered milk. Maybe it was higher in protein or something? I can't remember at the moment. But they had several recipes that included powdered milk.

According to the article that I pulled this from, they were raving about the nutrional value of the powdered milk. Maybe it was higher in protein or something? I can't remember at the moment. But they had several recipes that included powdered milk.
    then you could buy whey protein powder it has much more proteins than milk alone or even dried.
    The only reason I can see dry milk having more nutrients is because you can ingest a larger amount of it but in the case you are buying it for the protein content whey concentrate or isolate still has more so I really don't see the point unless you live without a refrigerator
    My point is there are other protein sources you don't need to drink protein powder or dry milk if you don't like it
    meats and eggs are loaded with proteins that should be your main source of proteins not shakes
    Last edited by BrotherWolf; 07-17-2009 at 02:37 PM.

lizfernandes has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lizfernandes has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lizfernandes has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lizfernandes has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lizfernandes has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lizfernandes has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

If you like hot chocolate, this is what i've been doing I have body fortress super advanced chocolate whey protein I use hot water and it tastes like hot chocolate.. so good.

Do_Somethin is a name known to all. (+5000) Do_Somethin is a name known to all. (+5000) Do_Somethin is a name known to all. (+5000) Do_Somethin is a name known to all. (+5000) Do_Somethin is a name known to all. (+5000) Do_Somethin is a name known to all. (+5000) Do_Somethin is a name known to all. (+5000) Do_Somethin is a name known to all. (+5000) Do_Somethin is a name known to all. (+5000) Do_Somethin is a name known to all. (+5000) Do_Somethin is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by lizfernandes View Post
    If you like hot chocolate, this is what i've been doing I have body fortress super advanced chocolate whey protein I use hot water and it tastes like hot chocolate.. so good.
    You can stay

gazzajagman will become famous soon enough. (+50) gazzajagman will become famous soon enough. (+50) gazzajagman will become famous soon enough. (+50) gazzajagman will become famous soon enough. (+50) gazzajagman will become famous soon enough. (+50) gazzajagman will become famous soon enough. (+50) gazzajagman will become famous soon enough. (+50) gazzajagman will become famous soon enough. (+50) gazzajagman will become famous soon enough. (+50) gazzajagman will become famous soon enough. (+50) gazzajagman will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I've tried a number of UK protein shakes and the only ones I really get on with are the ON Whey Gold Standard and ON Casein. All the others tasted bad and left me feeling sick and bloated. The ON stuff has most of my BCAA's and glutamine so it's a nice one stop shop. I eat a good diet with plenty of protein, but supplement with 3-6 scoops per day depending on my training or rest.
    I've just started my 3rd year of lifting, I made great over the last 2 years. Doubled my Bench and tripled my Squat and DL's. I'm 43 and I'm getting stronger every month.
    ORM BP: 225lbs / DL: 355lbs / Sq: 240lbs....working in lbs makes my lifts look heavier :D

Electricheadd is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Electricheadd is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Electricheadd is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Electricheadd is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Electricheadd is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Electricheadd is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Electricheadd is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Electricheadd is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Electricheadd is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Electricheadd is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Electricheadd is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by lizfernandes View Post
    interesting first post to a multi year bump.....
    My Reverse Diet Log
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=153750981&p=1077733831#post1077733831

pipios is a jewel in the rough. (+500) pipios is a jewel in the rough. (+500) pipios is a jewel in the rough. (+500) pipios is a jewel in the rough. (+500) pipios is a jewel in the rough. (+500) pipios is a jewel in the rough. (+500) pipios is a jewel in the rough. (+500) pipios is a jewel in the rough. (+500) pipios is a jewel in the rough. (+500) pipios is a jewel in the rough. (+500) pipios is a jewel in the rough. (+500)

http://iifym.com/IIFYM-calculator/
    Follow me on twitter: @halconcr

Karl_Hungus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Karl_Hungus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Karl_Hungus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Karl_Hungus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Karl_Hungus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Karl_Hungus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Karl_Hungus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Karl_Hungus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Karl_Hungus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Karl_Hungus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Karl_Hungus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    You guys do realize that you are responding to 3 year old posts. Yes?

My guess is that in the last 1000 days or so, a course of action has been decided, and they are no longer monitoring this thread for answers.
    It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

RT1957 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RT1957 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RT1957 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RT1957 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RT1957 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RT1957 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RT1957 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RT1957 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RT1957 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RT1957 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RT1957 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I love my pre and post WO protein shakes

2 cups of water
    1 banana
    a handful of frozen strawberries
    a handful of frozen triple berry mix
    3 scoops of whey
    4 scoops of carb powder to up the carbs and calories
    I drink half about 1/2 an hr before my WO and I drink the other half after my WO

I use a vanilla flavored whey

and I use a chocolate flavored Casein with milk at night and sometimes in the afternoon.

I love my protein shakes I think they taste great

The Cake Is A Lie! StressMonkey's Avatar
    StressMonkey has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) StressMonkey has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) StressMonkey has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) StressMonkey has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) StressMonkey has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) StressMonkey has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) StressMonkey has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) StressMonkey has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) StressMonkey has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) StressMonkey has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) StressMonkey has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Karl_Hungus View Post
    You guys do realize that you are responding to 3 year old posts. Yes?

My guess is that in the last 1000 days or so, a course of action has been decided, and they are no longer monitoring this thread for answers.
    I disagree. What if they've been checking this thread since 2009 for alternatives to protein shakes? Your skepticism would deny them the answers they seek.
    There will come a day when I tire of listening to 80's music. That day is not today.

I Really Miss The Old BodySpace

-O35 5'8" Crew- -Karl_Hungus Crew-