FadeIntoBig has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) FadeIntoBig has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) FadeIntoBig has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) FadeIntoBig has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) FadeIntoBig has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) FadeIntoBig has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) FadeIntoBig has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) FadeIntoBig has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) FadeIntoBig has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) FadeIntoBig has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) FadeIntoBig has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

One day a week workouts?

I skimmed the following book last night at the local B & N. If I understood correctly, the authors actually recommend no more than 1 workout per week. That's right, one workout per week, ONLY, even for split programs. The training is HIT style; more-or-less one strict set to failure.

For example, the beginners program is 5 exercises (5 work-sets per week). The intermediate / sports specific were a 4 / 4 split (8 exercises), with only one workout per week (4 work sets per week, workout A on odd weeks, B on even). The advanced kept the split but introduced negatives and such.

Opinions? I'm not advocating this approach, but want to see the opinions of others.

My take? I've made some of my best gains on split PL programs, going to failure after a ramp warmup. For example:

Mon: Squat, 8 sets x 5 reps, starting light and ramping to heavy last set to failure in 4 - 8 reps. Various assistance work, one set to failure.
    Tue: Bench (same as above)
    Thu: Deads (same as above)
    Fri: Light / Speed Squat and Bench and light assistance work.

So, working to failure, and each bodypart hard only once per week I can agree with. What do you think about the extreme of only one workout per week?

The Book:

Body by Science: A Research Based Program to Get the Results You Want in 12 Minutes a Week (Paperback) By John Little and Doug McGuff.

http://www.amazon.com/Body-Science-R...7686332&sr=1-1
    Last edited by FadeIntoBig; 07-15-2009 at 06:38 PM.