Chincheck has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Red face Routine after rotator cuff injury

hey guys, i know their are a lot of threads on rotator cuffs but im looking for more specific answers.

I'm at the stage where i can perform rotator cuff exercises comfortably, so i got several questions:
    1. How many reps, sets, times a week do i perform these rotator cuff exercises? do i work till failure or avoid failure?
    2. I want to be active, so how can i stay active and not lose much muscle, safely?
    3. What should i be eating? As much as normal body building or less?
    4. If i was able to workout upperbody/lower body while strengthening the rotator cuff, is this a bad idea? why or why not? how should i do this if i workout 3 times a week, (chest/back, Arms, Legs)?

please, answers to these will be much appreciated! I dont want to feel discouraged because of my weeks right shoulder .

__r is a jewel in the rough. (+500) __r is a jewel in the rough. (+500) __r is a jewel in the rough. (+500) __r is a jewel in the rough. (+500) __r is a jewel in the rough. (+500) __r is a jewel in the rough. (+500) __r is a jewel in the rough. (+500) __r is a jewel in the rough. (+500) __r is a jewel in the rough. (+500) __r is a jewel in the rough. (+500) __r is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    1. Avoid failure and keep perfect form. In general you want to perform between 10 and 20 reps with light weight. How often and how many sets you want to do, depends a lot on your and your routine. As a rule of thumb: Train your rotator cuff 2 to 3 times a week, with a total of 3 to 6 exercises per workout. Make sure to train every part of the rotator cuff and always do your rotator cuff work at the end of your workout as the last exercise.

2 & 3. You can be active, if you eat enough. Calculate your calorie maintenance level and consume the required amount of calories. You shouldn't lose or gain much weight.

4. I'm no doctor, but based on personal experience I suggest you the following:

Do you feel pain or discomfort in your shoulder? No exercise at all. If they cause no pain, start with light rotator cuff exercises and stretches.

If the pain is gone, you can start to workout again. Start with lower body, core work and arm isolation exercises: squats, deadlifts, crunches, curls, whatever you want. Avoid compound exercises that use your shoulders (like dips, pull-ups or bench presses) and of course direct shoulder work. If anything is causing you pain, stop doing it.

If everything is working fine, add some more upper body work. Start with adding one exercise per workout, use a lighter weight and keep the number of reps high. Try to use dumbbells instead of barbells.

Face pulls and Pull-ups should be the first exercises you add.
    Last edited by __r; 07-14-2009 at 12:35 PM.

Chincheck has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    thanks for the comments/tips!

I'll try them out.

while researching, some will suggest doing them everyday of the week? what do you think of that?
    Last edited by Chincheck; 07-14-2009 at 01:04 PM.

__r is a jewel in the rough. (+500) __r is a jewel in the rough. (+500) __r is a jewel in the rough. (+500) __r is a jewel in the rough. (+500) __r is a jewel in the rough. (+500) __r is a jewel in the rough. (+500) __r is a jewel in the rough. (+500) __r is a jewel in the rough. (+500) __r is a jewel in the rough. (+500) __r is a jewel in the rough. (+500) __r is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by Chincheck View Post
    thanks for the comments/tips!

I'll try them out.

while researching, some will suggest doing them everyday of the week? what do you think of that?
    It's propbably ok to do the stretches everyday, but like any other muscle, the rotator cuff muscles need rest to repair and grow, so working them out every day seem quite counterproductive to me.