Rock Jock is on a distinguished road. (+10) Rock Jock is on a distinguished road. (+10) Rock Jock is on a distinguished road. (+10) Rock Jock is on a distinguished road. (+10) Rock Jock is on a distinguished road. (+10) Rock Jock is on a distinguished road. (+10) Rock Jock is on a distinguished road. (+10) Rock Jock is on a distinguished road. (+10) Rock Jock is on a distinguished road. (+10) Rock Jock is on a distinguished road. (+10) Rock Jock is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Question Age 40+ L-Glutamine

It's been a long, long time since I've posted on this site. Long time.

But here's my situation and question. I was lifting hardcore in my early to late 20s (this is about mid-90s to early 2000s). Back then, Glutamine was one of the three staples, with the other two being Creatine and Whey. I dropped out of lifting due to life issues. I never could get back into it until I turned 39.

I am currently educating myself on the new "in supplements." I have my Beta Alanine, Creatine, and Proteins. The guy at GNC told me Glutamine's pretty much crap these days and to avoid it. For the most part, I have.

I am more active than ever. I lift at the gym, and I've just started Krav Maga, which I take between two and three times a week. Sometimes I'll finish a KM session and hit the gym for an hour, lifting light rather than heavy. Other days, I lift a bit heavier.

So now I'm sure you're thinking, "This guy is over training."

I agree, and I'm forcing myself to take days off when I really don't want to. Yes, my body thanks me for it.

So here's the question: Considering the training I'm doing, and considering I'm about to turn 41, should I include Glutamine to assist in my recovery? Or is it still bogus if I get a diet supportive of my activity level?

Thanks!

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by Rock Jock View Post
    It's been a long, long time since I've posted on this site. Long time.

But here's my situation and question. I was lifting hardcore in my early to late 20s (this is about mid-90s to early 2000s). Back then, Glutamine was one of the three staples, with the other two being Creatine and Whey. I dropped out of lifting due to life issues. I never could get back into it until I turned 39.

I am currently educating myself on the new "in supplements." I have my Beta Alanine, Creatine, and Proteins. The guy at GNC told me Glutamine's pretty much crap these days and to avoid it. For the most part, I have.

I am more active than ever. I lift at the gym, and I've just started Krav Maga, which I take between two and three times a week. Sometimes I'll finish a KM session and hit the gym for an hour, lifting light rather than heavy. Other days, I lift a bit heavier.

I agree, and I'm forcing myself to take days off when I really don't want to. Yes, my body thanks me for it.

So here's the question: Considering the training I'm doing, and considering I'm about to turn 41, should I include Glutamine to assist in my recovery? Or is it still bogus if I get a diet supportive of my activity level?

Thanks!
    Glutamine is one of the most abundant amino acids to be found in foods. If you're eating even just "somewhat reasonably" well, you're already getting an entirely adequate amount glutamine.

The 'best' thing for recovery is a goal-appropriate amount of calories, macros, and micros, all obtainable from a balanced nutrition plan of regular foods, as well as as much sleep as you can possibly manage.
    No brain, no gain.

"The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

Where the mind goes, the body follows.

Ironwill Gym:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=629719403&postcount=3388

Ironwill2008 Journal:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157459343&p=1145168733

Bando has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bando has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bando has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bando has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bando has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bando has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bando has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bando has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bando has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bando has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bando has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by Rock Jock View Post

Nah
    Don't put that on me Ricky Bobby, don't you ever put that on me.

pryme is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pryme is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pryme is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pryme is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pryme is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pryme is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pryme is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pryme is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pryme is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pryme is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pryme is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I never felt glutamine did anything much. I do feel Branch chain aminos do aid in recovery even over what you get in whey. Because they are free form.