Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    dungeonmistress has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dungeonmistress has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dungeonmistress has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dungeonmistress has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dungeonmistress has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dungeonmistress has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dungeonmistress has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dungeonmistress has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dungeonmistress has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dungeonmistress has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dungeonmistress has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

cockatoo - free to good home *sigh*

omg i can't believe this. on second thought, yeah i can. she was out and i heard her screaming in the living room. so i jokingly tell my daughter, haha she's probably in there chewing on my speaker. well guess what she was doing?

CHEWING ON MY FRIGGIN SPEAKER!!!

right under the tweeter there is a large gouge. these are vintage ca. 1970's klipsch la scalas too.

cockatoo, it's what's for dinner. i have attached a couple of pics of the damage, and a pic of the perp. she is lucky to be alive right now. i hope i can sorta fix this...
    Attached Images
    A successful woman is one who can build a firm foundation with the bricks others have thrown at her

my metabolic repair/bulking-training journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=134394501

SP1966 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SP1966 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SP1966 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SP1966 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SP1966 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SP1966 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SP1966 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SP1966 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SP1966 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SP1966 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SP1966 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Oh the drama!

I hear they taste like chicken!
    I'm a sad little man

GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

Smile

Cute bird. Still squawking as of this post?

My sister has two cats, and one of them, ever the inquisitive sort, loves jumping up on her desk while my sister is hard at work typing away on her keyboard. (She works at home). Naturally, my sister often has something to drink while she works and naturally, Kitty-chan tips over the drink, or sticks her nose IN the drink and THEN tips it over--she's burned out at least five keyboards, by my sister's estimation.

Good thing we're not Chinese, or that cat would've been toast by now!
    "Don't call me Miss Kitty. Just...don't."--Catnip. Check out the Catnip Trilogy on Amazon.com

"Chivalry isn't dead. It just wears a skirt."--Twisted, the YA gender bender deal of the century!

Check out my links to Mr. Taxi, Star Maps, and other fine YA Action/Romance novels at http://www.amazon.com/J.S.-Frankel/e/B004XUUTB8/ref=dp_byline_cont_ebooks_1

is epalhs spelt backward shlape's Avatar
    shlape will become famous soon enough. (+50) shlape will become famous soon enough. (+50) shlape will become famous soon enough. (+50) shlape will become famous soon enough. (+50) shlape will become famous soon enough. (+50) shlape will become famous soon enough. (+50) shlape will become famous soon enough. (+50) shlape will become famous soon enough. (+50) shlape will become famous soon enough. (+50) shlape will become famous soon enough. (+50) shlape will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by dungeonmistress View Post
    I'm not surprised. Damn flying alarm clocks, I call them. On a quiet Saturday morning when you're trying to sleep in, they'll fly over head screeching long enough to ruin any chance of that sleep in. Destructive little bastards too. In this area they perch themselves on the overhead street lighting and pull out the rubber seal causing the glass cover to dislodge and hang dangerously over traffic.

Speak of the devils, I can hear them now. Anyone tried cockatoo meat? I'm willing to try. :-D

Originally Posted by SP1966 View Post
    you answered my question while I was typing this post up X-P
    Last edited by shlape; 07-13-2009 at 10:47 PM. Reason: missed quote

dungeonmistress has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dungeonmistress has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dungeonmistress has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dungeonmistress has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dungeonmistress has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dungeonmistress has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dungeonmistress has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dungeonmistress has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dungeonmistress has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dungeonmistress has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dungeonmistress has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Oh the drama!

funny, but guess what her nickname is? chicken. i kid you not. she clucks like a chicken. hopefully she tastes just as good. nothing like a $2500 meal. maybe i should stuff her hind end with wild rice and do an orange glaze. i'm so pissed off that i'm laughing. ever been that mad? it's a slippery slope my friend.
    A successful woman is one who can build a firm foundation with the bricks others have thrown at her

my metabolic repair/bulking-training journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=134394501

Originally Posted by shlape View Post
    I'm not surprised. Damn flying alarm clocks, I call them. On a quiet Saturday morning when you're trying to sleep in, they'll fly over head screeching long enough to ruin any chance of that sleep in. Destructive little bastards too. In this area they perch themselves on the overhead street lighting and pull out the rubber seal causing the glass cover to dislodge and hang dangerously over traffic.

Speak of the devils, I can hear them now. Anyone tried cockatoo meat? I'm willing to try. :-D
    this one is from malaysia - a moluccan cockatoo. they can have her back. i'm tired of this gig. she screams a lot too. funny you mention alarm clock, that is what i sometimes call her in addition to chicken and a bunch of curse words. she also stalks me when she's mad and then bites my feet. dangerous to do when carrying a pot of boiling water from stove to sink. once i was sitting here at the computer and she was on the back of my chair screaming (what else lol). she lunges forward and i think she's losing her footing. noooooo...she was trying to take off my ear!!

SP1966 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SP1966 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SP1966 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SP1966 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SP1966 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SP1966 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SP1966 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SP1966 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SP1966 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SP1966 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SP1966 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    funny, but guess what her nickname is? chicken. i kid you not. she clucks like a chicken. hopefully she tastes just as good. nothing like a $2500 meal. maybe i should stuff her hind end with wild rice and do an orange glaze. i'm so pissed off that i'm laughing. ever been that mad? it's a slippery slope my friend.
    Mad as in angry, or mad as in nutz? My answer depends upon which one you choose... and my guess is you know what it would be!!!
    I'm a sad little man

Mad as in angry, or mad as in nutz? My answer depends upon which one you choose... and my guess is you know what it would be!!!
    mad as in flaming angry. i mean, how the hell do you fix this now, or even get it to look similar? wood putty would be my first thought but it doesn't have a wood grain to it. i know there are kits to give a wood grain effect, but hell i don't know how to do this sort of thing or match up the finish that's on there now.

god i could KILL her.

V-240 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) V-240 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) V-240 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) V-240 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) V-240 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) V-240 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) V-240 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) V-240 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) V-240 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) V-240 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) V-240 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

Cool

"Aha! Ssssucculent ssssquawb!"

--Sylvester the cat
    I'm Batman.

Okay, I'm not.

Here's a frog.

@..@
    (----)
    ( )-( )
    o0..0o

yankeemarko1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) yankeemarko1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) yankeemarko1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) yankeemarko1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) yankeemarko1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) yankeemarko1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) yankeemarko1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) yankeemarko1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) yankeemarko1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) yankeemarko1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) yankeemarko1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Back around 1990 a friend of mine went on vacation and I watched his F'N cockatoo. I brought it over to my place and he gave me all the instructions for what I needed to do.

What a nightmare. It didn't shut up for 7 straight days. It was like the fire alarm going off.

When he came to pick it up I already had butter melted in the skillet to pan fry it.
    []---[] Equipment Crew Member No.19

Proud Owner of an Irish Tan

Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I'm sort of surprised DM. You were just saying how much your birds mean to you and if you moved you'd have to find a place that will allow them.

Speakers are speakers, but they aren't a living thing that depends on you.
    Time To Re-Schedule

Originally Posted by Tyrbolift View Post
    I'm sort of surprised DM. You were just saying how much your birds mean to you and if you moved you'd have to find a place that will allow them.

Speakers are speakers, but they aren't a living thing that depends on you.
    give me your address, and i'll send the chicken to live with you for just a week. we'll talk again after she sends you thru the roof, or she chews thru it, take your pick. this bird was ready to go to a rescue. i was warned by the petshop manager that i would be absolutely insane to adopt that bird. he warned me over and over again. but noooooooo. i had to rescue her ass and this is what i get.

seriously i am PISSED right now. at me mostly, because ultimately it's my fault.

that speaker was in pristine condition.

Originally Posted by yankeemarko1 View Post
    Back around 1990 a friend of mine went on vacation and I watched his F'N cockatoo. I brought it over to my place and he gave me all the instructions for what I needed to do.

What a nightmare. It didn't shut up for 7 straight days. It was like the fire alarm going off.

When he came to pick it up I already had butter melted in the skillet to pan fry it.
    yep they use their loud voice against humans. and they can keep at it, full force, for hours and hours until you finally give in.

Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    give me your address, and i'll send the chicken to live with you for just a week. we'll talk again after she sends you thru the roof, or she chews thru it, take your pick. this bird was ready to go to a rescue. i was warned by the petshop manager that i would be absolutely insane to adopt that bird. he warned me over and over again. but noooooooo. i had to rescue her ass and this is what i get.

seriously i am PISSED right now. at me mostly, because ultimately it's my fault.

that speaker was in pristine condition.
    The thing probably wouldn't last long, especially around the big white fella.

Time To Re-Schedule

Dragonslayer in Training Iron Barbarian's Avatar
    Iron Barbarian has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Iron Barbarian has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Iron Barbarian has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Iron Barbarian has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Iron Barbarian has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Iron Barbarian has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Iron Barbarian has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Iron Barbarian has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Iron Barbarian has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Iron Barbarian has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Iron Barbarian has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Looks like she has the "What, You want a piece of me" look on her face. LOL
    Mongol General: What is best in life?
    Conan: To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women.

Tallgntlmn will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tallgntlmn will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tallgntlmn will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tallgntlmn will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tallgntlmn will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tallgntlmn will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tallgntlmn will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tallgntlmn will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tallgntlmn will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tallgntlmn will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tallgntlmn will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    That's exactly what I was thinking. I'm sure the speaker can be fixed. It's not like that couldn't happen with any animal or even a kid.

Deborah_Lyn is just really nice. (+1000) Deborah_Lyn is just really nice. (+1000) Deborah_Lyn is just really nice. (+1000) Deborah_Lyn is just really nice. (+1000) Deborah_Lyn is just really nice. (+1000) Deborah_Lyn is just really nice. (+1000) Deborah_Lyn is just really nice. (+1000) Deborah_Lyn is just really nice. (+1000) Deborah_Lyn is just really nice. (+1000) Deborah_Lyn is just really nice. (+1000) Deborah_Lyn is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by Tallgntlmn View Post
    That's exactly what I was thinking. I'm sure the speaker can be fixed. It's not like that couldn't happen with any animal or even a kid.
    It's just normal frustration of a pet owner guys!Birds are very demanding and can really wreck havok! They are lovely though. I looked at a cockatoo once. It was a 3 month old baby. Too cute! I could not afford it at that time and the Pet Store owners warned me how clingy they are.

My dogs have almost never chewed my shoes. My bird - Nanday Conure- 3 pairs of shoes including some really cool Jones of NY pink nubuck suede that cost $90.00!!! /cry

It's hard at times, because it's not a cat or dog where training is easier. My bird loves the spray bottle, so that's out. All I can say is that if a bird gets loud, whisper. They are pack animals and they want to hear you, so mine stfu when I whisper to him - usually. Reverse physcology on a bird with a brain the size of a pea, lol.

Sorry about your speakers DM!
    The Watchmen
    Rorschach: "None of you understand. I'm not locked up in here with you. You're locked up in here with me."

'The timid civilized world has found nothing with which to oppose the onslaught of a sudden revival of barefaced barbarity, other than concessions and smiles.'
    -Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

Tallgntlmn will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tallgntlmn will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tallgntlmn will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tallgntlmn will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tallgntlmn will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tallgntlmn will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tallgntlmn will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tallgntlmn will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tallgntlmn will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tallgntlmn will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tallgntlmn will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Deborah_Lyn View Post
    It's just normal frustration of a pet owner guys!Birds are very demanding and can really wreck havok!
    A close friend has two dogs who are less than a year old. They like to chew. That should be 'nuff said. I have been offered one or both several times.

pmartel will become famous soon enough. (+50) pmartel will become famous soon enough. (+50) pmartel will become famous soon enough. (+50) pmartel will become famous soon enough. (+50) pmartel will become famous soon enough. (+50) pmartel will become famous soon enough. (+50) pmartel will become famous soon enough. (+50) pmartel will become famous soon enough. (+50) pmartel will become famous soon enough. (+50) pmartel will become famous soon enough. (+50) pmartel will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    omg i can't believe this. on second thought, yeah i can. she was out and i heard her screaming in the living room. so i jokingly tell my daughter, haha she's probably in there chewing on my speaker. well guess what she was doing?

right under the tweeter there is a large gouge. these are vintage ca. 1970's klipsch la scalas too.

cockatoo, it's what's for dinner. i have attached a couple of pics of the damage, and a pic of the perp. she is lucky to be alive right now. i hope i can sorta fix this...
    Being a seasoned audiophile I feel your pain. Klipsch La Scala's?? Yeepers

I blew out a tweeter in a pair of Radford 270's. Oh did that hurt. Radford had 3 sets of mid-range and tweeters placed appropriately, OH WHAT A SOUND!!

Guff is just really nice. (+1000) Guff is just really nice. (+1000) Guff is just really nice. (+1000) Guff is just really nice. (+1000) Guff is just really nice. (+1000) Guff is just really nice. (+1000) Guff is just really nice. (+1000) Guff is just really nice. (+1000) Guff is just really nice. (+1000) Guff is just really nice. (+1000) Guff is just really nice. (+1000)
    We have an African Gray (he sings Elvis btw, Vivvvaaaa Las Vegas!)

But about 2 years ago we were given a blue Macaw. Beautiful bird...my god was it LOUD. It screamed constantly, and destroyed EVERYTHING it could get it's beak on. Luckily we found it a good home.
    Obsession is a word used by the weak to describe the dedicated

DerAlta is a name known to all. (+5000) DerAlta is a name known to all. (+5000) DerAlta is a name known to all. (+5000) DerAlta is a name known to all. (+5000) DerAlta is a name known to all. (+5000) DerAlta is a name known to all. (+5000) DerAlta is a name known to all. (+5000) DerAlta is a name known to all. (+5000) DerAlta is a name known to all. (+5000) DerAlta is a name known to all. (+5000) DerAlta is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Well... I live with three Umbrellas, a Goffin's, a B&G; Scarlet; Greenwing and Hahn's Macaw, 2 Amazons, and a few other small birds, so I can understand your frustration with the damage. I've seen holes in my walls, headboards, door frames, picture frames, couches, chairs, mantels, blah... blah. if they don't have toys and are unspuervised they're damn fast at destruction.

Your best bet is to start looking for a Private Sanctuary/resuce in your area. Do a bit of research and find out if they are a breeding facility or not. Don't let yours end up in one.

Sorry to hear that you're giving her up, but I really can understand why. All of ours have been given up to us for one reason or another.

Look for a good rescue. So many have been filled to capacity so fast it'll be hard. As tough as it can be try Craigslist as well. Even better, stop in at a good local pet store and the people there usually know someone who can care for them quite well.

Good Luck.
    The Iron will never Lie to you.
    “Whatever doesn’t kill me… had better start running”
    Willpower is a muscle, and as such, it must be exercised. Heavily and Often.

Continually paying my Dues in the Iron-Sanctuary.com

The thing probably wouldn't last long, especially around the big white fella.

awwww very cute! and you know i was just kidding about putting the chicken up for adoption.

Originally Posted by DerAlta View Post
    Well... I live with three Umbrellas, a Goffin's, a B&G; Scarlet; Greenwing and Hahn's Macaw, 2 Amazons, and a few other small birds, so I can understand your frustration with the damage. I've seen holes in my walls, headboards, door frames, picture frames, couches, chairs, mantels, blah... blah. if they don't have toys and are unspuervised they're damn fast at destruction.

Your best bet is to start looking for a Private Sanctuary/resuce in your area. Do a bit of research and find out if they are a breeding facility or not. Don't let yours end up in one.

Sorry to hear that you're giving her up, but I really can understand why. All of ours have been given up to us for one reason or another.

Look for a good rescue. So many have been filled to capacity so fast it'll be hard. As tough as it can be try Craigslist as well. Even better, stop in at a good local pet store and the people there usually know someone who can care for them quite well.

Good Luck.
    i was kidding!!! i have 4 parrots, 3 of whom are throw aways (one was neglected and abused). i would NEVER get rid of a single one of them, even tho it prevents me from probably ever being rented to in this city. i will just stay put. i have the cockatoo, plus a greenwing macaw, a blue and gold macaw and a senegal parrot.

DerAlta is a name known to all. (+5000) DerAlta is a name known to all. (+5000) DerAlta is a name known to all. (+5000) DerAlta is a name known to all. (+5000) DerAlta is a name known to all. (+5000) DerAlta is a name known to all. (+5000) DerAlta is a name known to all. (+5000) DerAlta is a name known to all. (+5000) DerAlta is a name known to all. (+5000) DerAlta is a name known to all. (+5000) DerAlta is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Ahhh...sorry about that, I mis read the humor

I know how infectious they are, and I've seen the good and bad side of people with birds. I've also seen the good and bad side of birds. I've many a wounded finger/hand/arm to show for it also.

Glad to hear she's not going anywhere.

Here's a shot of Baby, and his girlfriend Nellie (She's leaning down).
    Last edited by DerAlta; 07-14-2009 at 08:02 AM.
    The Iron will never Lie to you.
    “Whatever doesn’t kill me… had better start running”
    Willpower is a muscle, and as such, it must be exercised. Heavily and Often.

Continually paying my Dues in the Iron-Sanctuary.com

Deborah_Lyn is just really nice. (+1000) Deborah_Lyn is just really nice. (+1000) Deborah_Lyn is just really nice. (+1000) Deborah_Lyn is just really nice. (+1000) Deborah_Lyn is just really nice. (+1000) Deborah_Lyn is just really nice. (+1000) Deborah_Lyn is just really nice. (+1000) Deborah_Lyn is just really nice. (+1000) Deborah_Lyn is just really nice. (+1000) Deborah_Lyn is just really nice. (+1000) Deborah_Lyn is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by Tallgntlmn View Post
    A close friend has two dogs who are less than a year old. They like to chew. That should be 'nuff said. I have been offered one or both several times.

That's great! I have 2 rottweilers. Don't ask about my china cabinet or kitchen table - teeth marks/chewed up.

Sorry, dog vs birds training really doesn't compare. You cannot physically correct a bird ( the whole point of my post). It just doesn't work. Bird behavior just doesn't have the experts like dogs do. Getting a vet that actually knows birds is tough. My last one was in Alpharetta. I tried over 10 vets before finding him.

DM's bird is like having a 3 month old baby forever. Very clingy and dependant. Dogs will look for attention, if they don;t get it, they go off amuse themselves or sleep. Birds - not so much. They squack and carry one when pissed.

As I said, the pet shop gave me heads up and when I read up about them, I decided it wasn't for me. My nanday is difficult enough at times. I cannot imagine a larger bird - bigger beak, bigger bite and managing it with care when it's pissed off.
    The Watchmen
    Rorschach: "None of you understand. I'm not locked up in here with you. You're locked up in here with me."

'The timid civilized world has found nothing with which to oppose the onslaught of a sudden revival of barefaced barbarity, other than concessions and smiles.'
    -Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

Originally Posted by DerAlta View Post
    Ahhh...sorry about that, I mis read the humor

I know how infectious they are, and I've seen the good and bad side of people with birds. I've also seen the good and bad side of birds. I've many a wonded finger/hand/arm to show for it also.

Glad to hear she's not going anywhere.

Here's a shot of Baby, and his girlfriend Nellie (She's leaning down).
    beautiful birds!
    The Watchmen

-Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    OK, this is going to come off as extremely harsh, but it's the way I feel about obtaining animals and then re-homing them.

First, cockatoos are extremely needy and clingy birds. They are suitable only for stay-at-homes or work-at-homes, and must be with their people virtually all the time. I don't know if you knew this before obtaining the bird, but many, many people who get large birds do so because "they're beautiful" or "they talk and are funny" or some other reason such as that.

My friend and former co-worker whom I re-homed Rio from did not know that even a 5 oz Jenday conure is not a family bird. They are noisy: their screams can make your ears bleed. They are line-of-sight screamers... if they can't see their flockmate (you) they will call incessantly. And come looking, fight feathers or no. He did not know any of this before getting the bird. He only went by the bird seller, who lied. So, 9 months later, I had a Jenday conure.

Moreover, most parrots: Macaws, 'Toos, African Greys, Amazons, even little conures have the intelligence and mentality of human toddler. Left to their own devices they will get into as much mischief as possible. They will destroy furniture the same way a toddler will write on walls or take a pencil and gouge a design into your dining room table if you don't use the eyes in the back of your head.

Will mishaps happen? Sure, but the difference is the human child would not be put up for adoption. Having a child or obtaining an animal is a comittment. Barring a threatening situation with an overly aggressive dog that cannot be trained, and is a threat to others, I'm appalled at the ease with which people will re-home an animal.

What people fail to realize is that the animal is doing what it does. It does not know why it is separated from its human. Unless it can be re-homed with a person it will bond with and forget its previous owner (they actually never do), the bird will be prone to disorders ranging from feather plucking to depression to aggression to fear.

I'm not a PETA nut, so it has nothing to do with that. It has to do with experience and knowledge of their behavior. Would I take an Amazon or 'Too? Hell no. Amazons become hormonal buzzsaws during the season, and 'Toos as I mentioned are too needy and clingy to be left in their cages all day while the human is at work.

I'm sorry to hear this happened, but quite honestly it's not unexpected. Birds that large and destructive, when they are out of cage, need to be on a stand they cannot climb down from or leap to another piece of furniture from. If they are given sufficient distractions, i.e. parrot toys, the chances of this happening are almost nil. Great inexpensive parrot toys and set ups are trapezes made from unfinished turned wood, hung from a ceiling plant hanger with blocks of wood cut from 2x4s, holes drilled in them and walnuts pushed in. Anything to keep the bird occupied when its out of cage. It can't t just sit on a stand like a potted plant. Now, maybe you did all this; I don't know. Whatever you finally do, I hope the bird fares well, better than other re-homes.

I just read backwards and see the humor, and that you do know what you are doing. Sorry. I've read too many sad bird and other animal stories. My apologies. Now removing the stick from my a$$.
    Last edited by Minotaur; 07-14-2009 at 09:09 AM. Reason: OK, so I jumped the gun too. But my feelings still apply to anyone who doesn't understand birds.
    "Go home, have a beer and smash something. That's what I would do" - Unknown (but probably Thor).

Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Ask an Aboriginal Australian.
    "Go home, have a beer and smash something. That's what I would do" - Unknown (but probably Thor).

chodan9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) chodan9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) chodan9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) chodan9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) chodan9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) chodan9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) chodan9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) chodan9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) chodan9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) chodan9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) chodan9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I thought every woman likes a nice cockatoo

Originally Posted by chodan9 View Post
    I thought every woman likes a nice cockatoo

Wouldn't the Chicago accent be "cockartoo"?

Just sayin'.