gilly88 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gilly88 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gilly88 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gilly88 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gilly88 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gilly88 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gilly88 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gilly88 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gilly88 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Cardio - Regular or Circuit?

Hi all!
    Well I am trying to get myself motivated for some HIIT cardio. IN addition to a four day/week split weights program, I am trying to incorporate:
    - 1 45 min squash game
    - 1 45 min spin class
    - 2 20-30 min HIIT sessions

But there is SO much info on what's the best? For example Tabata advocates only 4 minutes of work! Or the 6sec/9sec priniciple?

Additionally, I wanted to ask your opinion on whether it's ok to do a cardio circuit instead of regular running/cycling/stairmaster etc. I find these much more interesting! THe one i found includes things like box jumps, rope jumping, kettlebell swings etc in 1 min bursts.

Thanks!

new heights of badassity summertown74's Avatar
    summertown74 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) summertown74 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) summertown74 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) summertown74 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) summertown74 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) summertown74 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) summertown74 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) summertown74 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) summertown74 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) summertown74 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) summertown74 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Hi gilly!
    Personally I love doing circuits, and sprints, and anything else where I get to kick my own butt for a short amount of time, rest, then do it again x 10! It just makes it so much fun

I think it's important tho, to mix it up. You can't push your body 100% of the time-- it needs a break every now and again, and will actually respond better the next time you kick it up. So variety is the spice of life!

That said, a spin class, a squash game, and 2 HIIT sessions sounds to me like "four high intensity workouts" per week, which I think might be a bit much to do ALL the time...especially if you are also working high intensity with the weights....I like to go hard for three weeks, then take an easy week....

But every body is different Experiment until you find what works for YOU.
    wabi sabi...the art of finding beauty in the imperfections of life.