LinusVanPelt is a jewel in the rough. (+500) LinusVanPelt is a jewel in the rough. (+500) LinusVanPelt is a jewel in the rough. (+500) LinusVanPelt is a jewel in the rough. (+500) LinusVanPelt is a jewel in the rough. (+500) LinusVanPelt is a jewel in the rough. (+500) LinusVanPelt is a jewel in the rough. (+500) LinusVanPelt is a jewel in the rough. (+500) LinusVanPelt is a jewel in the rough. (+500) LinusVanPelt is a jewel in the rough. (+500) LinusVanPelt is a jewel in the rough. (+500)

Is Lifetime Fitness worth the higher membership fee?

I'm debating on whether or not to join Lifetime. Obviously I'm going to do the 7 day trial, but is it worth $30+ more per month than a Bally's and $15 more than an Xsport?

I've heard good things about it like the cleanliness, amount of equipment, etc.

I just can't take the filthiness of Bally's anymore. Once they "went green" and towels were not given out, the place became filthier than imagined.

When I go to lay on a bench, I shouldn't have to wipe someone else's sweat up with a towel that I brought.

Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz
    You might want to make sure you tell Ballys exactly why you are leaving. Besides having towels is green. Why people associate being good for the planet with being a shit between your toes hippy I'll never understand. If you were a 300 pound Gorilla I would suggest grabbing one of their "trainers" by the shirt and using it to wipe down the benches

Its hard for me to answer your question since my home gym cost less than the difference between Ballys and the new place in a year. But...

If they have more than one power rack, plenty of free weights, and allow chalk it is probably worth the move. If none of those places have the above I would seriously look at working out at home.
    []---[] Equipment Crew Member No. 11

"As iron sharpens iron so one man sharpens another" Proverbs 27:17

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by Wildtim View Post
    If they have more than one power rack, plenty of free weights, and allow chalk it is probably worth the move. If none of those places have the above I would seriously look at working out at home.

X2; the corporate idea of an adequate training enviornment lost me 10 years ago. I honestly don't know how anyone can deal with the bu****it that goes on, to a blind eye, at any commercial "fitness center."
    No brain, no gain.

"The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

Where the mind goes, the body follows.

Ironwill Gym:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=629719403&postcount=3388

Ironwill2008 Journal:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157459343&p=1145168733

yankeemarko1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) yankeemarko1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) yankeemarko1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) yankeemarko1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) yankeemarko1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) yankeemarko1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) yankeemarko1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) yankeemarko1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) yankeemarko1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) yankeemarko1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) yankeemarko1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    X3. I used to go to the gym and will never go back. I can get my entire workout in at home in about 1 hour. At the gym it always took 90 minutes or longer because of waiting for machines or trying to find the proper dumbbells that someone didn't put back etc...

Home gym FTW.
    []---[] Equipment Crew Member No.19

Proud Owner of an Irish Tan

LinusVanPelt is a jewel in the rough. (+500) LinusVanPelt is a jewel in the rough. (+500) LinusVanPelt is a jewel in the rough. (+500) LinusVanPelt is a jewel in the rough. (+500) LinusVanPelt is a jewel in the rough. (+500) LinusVanPelt is a jewel in the rough. (+500) LinusVanPelt is a jewel in the rough. (+500) LinusVanPelt is a jewel in the rough. (+500) LinusVanPelt is a jewel in the rough. (+500) LinusVanPelt is a jewel in the rough. (+500) LinusVanPelt is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by Wildtim View Post
    You might want to make sure you tell Ballys exactly why you are leaving. Besides having towels is green. Why people associate being good for the planet with being a shit between your toes hippy I'll never understand. If you were a 300 pound Gorilla I would suggest grabbing one of their "trainers" by the shirt and using it to wipe down the benches

Its hard for me to answer your question since my home gym cost less than the difference between Ballys and the new place in a year. But...

I actually have talked to the GM a few times. He always says that they are working on cleaning the place up...but never do.

I'm not a 300 lb gorilla...and I shouldn't have to go around telling trainers to clean the machines up.

Working out at home is not an option since there is no room for my equipment...so I'm stuck with a corporate place until further notice.

Originally Posted by ironwill2008 View Post
    X2; the corporate idea of an adequate training enviornment lost me 10 years ago. I honestly don't know how anyone can deal with the bu****it that goes on, to a blind eye, at any commercial "fitness center."
    Not everyone has the luxury of working out from home.

Originally Posted by yankeemarko1 View Post
    X3. I used to go to the gym and will never go back. I can get my entire workout in at home in about 1 hour. At the gym it always took 90 minutes or longer because of waiting for machines or trying to find the proper dumbbells that someone didn't put back etc...

Home gym FTW.
    Same response as above.

www.mutantfitness.com buffbrown21's Avatar
    buffbrown21 is a name known to all. (+5000) buffbrown21 is a name known to all. (+5000) buffbrown21 is a name known to all. (+5000) buffbrown21 is a name known to all. (+5000) buffbrown21 is a name known to all. (+5000) buffbrown21 is a name known to all. (+5000) buffbrown21 is a name known to all. (+5000) buffbrown21 is a name known to all. (+5000) buffbrown21 is a name known to all. (+5000) buffbrown21 is a name known to all. (+5000) buffbrown21 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by yankeemarko1 View Post

Home gym FTW.
    X4!

However, to the OP, the question is is it worth it to you?
    In other words, what do they have/offer to make it worth the money?
    Do a point by point of what they offer versus the Ballys.

If you would like to try a spin class and they dont offer it, subtract a point. If they do have it, add a point.
    If you want to do Olympic lifts, and they dont allow it, subtract a point, if they do allow it and have a certified Olympic lifting trainer, add 2 points.
    If you want a pool and hot tub and they have it, add a point.

You get my drift. But make the list very comprehensive...including drive time, the hours they are open, if it is overly crowded, etc etc etc. Then look at it versus what you already have (Ballys).

Then you can make the best decision for you.
    []---[] Equipment Crew Member #14

www.ShankAZombie.com

whiteboyy09 is just really nice. (+1000) whiteboyy09 is just really nice. (+1000) whiteboyy09 is just really nice. (+1000) whiteboyy09 is just really nice. (+1000) whiteboyy09 is just really nice. (+1000) whiteboyy09 is just really nice. (+1000) whiteboyy09 is just really nice. (+1000) whiteboyy09 is just really nice. (+1000) whiteboyy09 is just really nice. (+1000) whiteboyy09 is just really nice. (+1000) whiteboyy09 is just really nice. (+1000)
    no, its mostly filled with rich people, tons of machines, and a bunch of useless crap. Its more of a country club

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by LinusVanPelt View Post

Not everyone has the luxury of working out from home.
    That's the thing; I don't consider it a luxury, but more of a necessity. I did what I had to do in order to provide myself the training enviornment I felt I had to have, in order to progress. The problems you listed were just a small part of the list I had that made me go the home gym route.

You can put a good basic home gym in an area as small as 8' x 12'. Take a look at some of the home gyms in the sticky near the top of this forum, to give you a few ideas. Doesn't have to be big, or fancy, or expensive to be effective.
    No brain, no gain.

"The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

Where the mind goes, the body follows.

Ironwill Gym:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=629719403&postcount=3388

Ironwill2008 Journal:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157459343&p=1145168733

leonard1 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) leonard1 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) leonard1 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) leonard1 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) leonard1 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) leonard1 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) leonard1 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) leonard1 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) leonard1 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) leonard1 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) leonard1 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by LinusVanPelt View Post
    I'm debating on whether or not to join Lifetime. Obviously I'm going to do the 7 day trial, but is it worth $30+ more per month than a Bally's and $15 more than an Xsport?

I've heard good things about it like the cleanliness, amount of equipment, etc.

I just can't take the filthiness of Bally's anymore. Once they "went green" and towels were not given out, the place became filthier than imagined.

When I go to lay on a bench, I shouldn't have to wipe someone else's sweat up with a towel that I brought.
    Why not negotiate? offer lifetime the same per month that you pay at Bally's. They may agree to it and you have absolutely nothing to lose by asking.

kelt_22 is just really nice. (+1000) kelt_22 is just really nice. (+1000) kelt_22 is just really nice. (+1000) kelt_22 is just really nice. (+1000) kelt_22 is just really nice. (+1000) kelt_22 is just really nice. (+1000) kelt_22 is just really nice. (+1000) kelt_22 is just really nice. (+1000) kelt_22 is just really nice. (+1000) kelt_22 is just really nice. (+1000) kelt_22 is just really nice. (+1000)
    well yes, they are worth it in general but the question is it worth it to you? I worked for them as well as X sport and Powerhouse over the years and They are very posh for a chain. not as much as some of the elite single location gyms but top notch for a chain. Get a week pass. If you use most of what they offer and can afford it, go for it.
    I sell home and commercial fitness equipment, so if you have questions on equipment PM me and I will help.

“When the light comes down, and the earth shakes with the footsteps of a thousand battalions, when the air sings with the sound of clashing shields, and the ground is wet with the blood of men, that is when I am most alive. That is when my life is taken to the edge of the point, that is when I am invincible until the moment of death”

-Unknown Spartan Hoplite, 461 B.C.-

kelt_22 is just really nice. (+1000) kelt_22 is just really nice. (+1000) kelt_22 is just really nice. (+1000) kelt_22 is just really nice. (+1000) kelt_22 is just really nice. (+1000) kelt_22 is just really nice. (+1000) kelt_22 is just really nice. (+1000) kelt_22 is just really nice. (+1000) kelt_22 is just really nice. (+1000) kelt_22 is just really nice. (+1000) kelt_22 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by leonard1 View Post
    Why not negotiate? offer lifetime the same per month that you pay at Bally's. They may agree to it and you have absolutely nothing to lose by asking.
    you can try this and let us know if it works but No sales guy worth a damn would go for it. If you sell BMW you do not go to ford prices for a sale. let us know though.
    I sell home and commercial fitness equipment, so if you have questions on equipment PM me and I will help.

“When the light comes down, and the earth shakes with the footsteps of a thousand battalions, when the air sings with the sound of clashing shields, and the ground is wet with the blood of men, that is when I am most alive. That is when my life is taken to the edge of the point, that is when I am invincible until the moment of death”

-Unknown Spartan Hoplite, 461 B.C.-

leonard1 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) leonard1 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) leonard1 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) leonard1 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) leonard1 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) leonard1 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) leonard1 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) leonard1 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) leonard1 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) leonard1 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) leonard1 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by kelt_22 View Post
    you can try this and let us know if it works but No sales guy worth a damn would go for it. If you sell BMW you do not go to ford prices for a sale. let us know though.
    As far as I know, there are no Lifetime fitness in my area, so I have no idea what the relative brand value is of Lifetime fitness vs Bally's.

Bottomline - OP has everything to gain and absolutely nothing to lose by asking.

DualRectifier has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) DualRectifier has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) DualRectifier has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) DualRectifier has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) DualRectifier has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) DualRectifier has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) DualRectifier has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) DualRectifier has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) DualRectifier has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) DualRectifier has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) DualRectifier has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    There is absolutely no question that Lifetime is worth it.

I've been a member at Lifetime for over a year, and it blows away any other gym I've been a member of, including LA Fitness, Gold's, Bally's and several nonchains.

There is more equipment than you'll know what to do with, including machines you'll never see at the other places. Cybex Arc Trainers are $7,000 a piece, and they have row after row of them. I've lost over 50 lbs using just that one cardio machine. They also have a huge free weight section, and every Nautilus Xpload and Hammer Strength MTS machine made.

They have indoor and outdoor pools, hot tubs, saunas, steam rooms, the place is clean, open 24/7, etc. I just don't even know how to compare it to traditional gyms. I don't even use the other stuff like hoops courts, rock climbing wall, and whatnot.

Yes it's worth $60 a month. And no, they won't negotiate on price. They don't play games like the other places...everyone pays the same, as they should.

chrisatshc has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) chrisatshc has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) chrisatshc has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) chrisatshc has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) chrisatshc has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) chrisatshc has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) chrisatshc has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) chrisatshc has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) chrisatshc has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) chrisatshc has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) chrisatshc has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Originally Posted by DualRectifier View Post

I've been a member at Lifetime for over a year, and it blows away any other gym I've been a member of, including LA Fitness, Gold's, Bally's and several nonchains.

There is more equipment than you'll know what to do with, including machines you'll never see at the other places. Cybex Arc Trainers are $7,000 a piece, and they have row after row of them. I've lost over 50 lbs using just that one cardio machine. They also have a huge free weight section, and every Nautilus Xpload and Hammer Strength MTS machine made.

They have indoor and outdoor pools, hot tubs, saunas, steam rooms, the place is clean, open 24/7, etc. I just don't even know how to compare it to traditional gyms. I don't even use the other stuff like hoops courts, rock climbing wall, and whatnot.

Yes it's worth $60 a month. And no, they won't negotiate on price. They don't play games like the other places...everyone pays the same, as they should.
    LIFETIME is definitely worth it. There is a reason they are the most profitable publicly traded gym chain - their membership base is incredibly loyal, they invest in their clubs and offer tons of value added services. As for it being "posh" - It is very nice and clean. That said - they have every piece of hardcore equipment you would need.

gammite is on a distinguished road. (+10) gammite is on a distinguished road. (+10) gammite is on a distinguished road. (+10) gammite is on a distinguished road. (+10) gammite is on a distinguished road. (+10) gammite is on a distinguished road. (+10) gammite is on a distinguished road. (+10) gammite is on a distinguished road. (+10) gammite is on a distinguished road. (+10) gammite is on a distinguished road. (+10) gammite is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by DualRectifier View Post

Originally Posted by chrisatshc View Post
    LIFETIME is definitely worth it. There is a reason they are the most profitable publicly traded gym chain - their membership base is incredibly loyal, they invest in their clubs and offer tons of value added services. As for it being "posh" - It is very nice and clean. That said - they have every piece of hardcore equipment you would need.
    totally agreed.

i joined lifetime 3 years ago and i have had my membership at lifetime on month to month status for the past four months. i had intended to cancel my membership 4 months ago. so each month i go in before the end of the month and tell them not to cancel my membership for another month. i will probably be doing the same tomorrow.

i am having a hard time parting with the gym. it is VERY nice for a gym. it is the nicest gym experience that i have ever had.

i have a lifetime membership at bally total fitness that is paid for. bally is 5 minutes down the street from me. and yet i drive 20 minutes to lifetime fitness.

i am a free weight lifter. i don't care for weight machines but i will use them. trust me, you will not want for any form of free weight apparatus at lifetime. pretty much everything is there unless you are looking for a very specialized machine/apparatus.

in addition to that the pool/wet area is also very nice. two super large hot tubs, a leisure pool for just floating around and an additional lap pool for those who want do do laps. after a hard leg or back day and especially the day after a "hot tub then leisure pool then back to the hot tub" regimen really cuts down on the DOMS.

short of a pro training facility it really does not get much better than lifetime if you can afford the 60 per month.
    Last edited by gammite; 08-23-2009 at 11:03 PM.

dave43 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dave43 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dave43 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dave43 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dave43 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dave43 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dave43 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dave43 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dave43 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dave43 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dave43 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Sorry to bump an old thread but I agree that Lifetime is worth extra...especially for families that use the pool facilities. It is alot cheaper then joining a country club. BTW...Does Lifetime still have the policy of no haggling on price?