thrashertm will become famous soon enough. (+50) thrashertm will become famous soon enough. (+50) thrashertm will become famous soon enough. (+50) thrashertm will become famous soon enough. (+50) thrashertm will become famous soon enough. (+50) thrashertm will become famous soon enough. (+50) thrashertm will become famous soon enough. (+50) thrashertm will become famous soon enough. (+50) thrashertm will become famous soon enough. (+50) thrashertm will become famous soon enough. (+50) thrashertm will become famous soon enough. (+50)

For upper body days must I do every muscle group?

Hi guys,
    I normally focus on 3 muscle groups per day and do 6-8 sets of them. If I only do 3 sets, even at high weight, I normally don't 'feel the burn' the next day or two and I'm not sure that I'm stressing the muscles enough. I have seen some cutting routines suggest that you work each muscle group 2x per week. Should I be doing all 6 upper body muscle groups in a single day? My goal is to maintain what little muscle mass I have and lose the love handles and belly (5'11 168, 40 lb curls each arm, 150 lb bench). If I do all 6, can I cut the # of sets down from 6-8 to 3-4?

It seems like doing all groups at 6-8 sets would put me in the gym for a LONG time on upper body days, and I'd have to get up at 5:30am (bleh) in order to complete the full routine and make it into work on time. Furthermore, I do the lifting then do the cardio before breakfast, so I'm usually ravenously hungry throughout. I also take a scoop of creatine after lifting and before cardio.

This is my current routine:
    Monday - Biceps (6-8 sets), Triceps (6-8 sets), pullups (5 sets), HIIT Cardio
    Tuesday - Quads (5 sets), Hams (6 sets), Calves (6 sets), HIIT Cardio
    Wed - Abs, lower back Extra HIIT Cardio
    Thurs - Chest (6-8 sets), Lats (6-8 sets), Shoulders (6-8 sets)
    Fri - Quads (5 sets), Hams (6 sets), Calves (6 sets), HIIT Cardio
    Sat - Abs, lower back Extra HIIT Cardio
    Sun - Whatever cardio I feel like

Also, supposedly my maintenance level for caloric intake is 2800/day, and I'm eating 1800-2000 so far.

Thanks for your feedback.

Marine man is just really nice. (+1000) Marine man is just really nice. (+1000) Marine man is just really nice. (+1000) Marine man is just really nice. (+1000) Marine man is just really nice. (+1000) Marine man is just really nice. (+1000) Marine man is just really nice. (+1000) Marine man is just really nice. (+1000) Marine man is just really nice. (+1000) Marine man is just really nice. (+1000) Marine man is just really nice. (+1000)
    That program is awful. What is your goal and how long have you been training? A much simpler program would be better. Full body, upper/lower twice a week each, upper/lower/upper-lower/upper/lower. You don't need 8 sets for your arms and triceps. nor should you be doing hiit 5 x a week.

thrashertm will become famous soon enough. (+50) thrashertm will become famous soon enough. (+50) thrashertm will become famous soon enough. (+50) thrashertm will become famous soon enough. (+50) thrashertm will become famous soon enough. (+50) thrashertm will become famous soon enough. (+50) thrashertm will become famous soon enough. (+50) thrashertm will become famous soon enough. (+50) thrashertm will become famous soon enough. (+50) thrashertm will become famous soon enough. (+50) thrashertm will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Marine man View Post
    That program is awful. What is your goal and how long have you been training? A much simpler program would be better. Full body, upper/lower twice a week each, upper/lower/upper-lower/upper/lower. You don't need 8 sets for your arms and triceps. nor should you be doing hiit 5 x a week.
    Thanks for the feedback. What's wrong with my routine apart from its apparent complexity? I just started this particular program this week. I've been lifting and doing cardio for years in one form or another, though I do not claim to be an expert by any means.

I got the routine from the top recommended article on Bodybuilding.com - http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/best..._loss_plan.htm

How many sets do you recommend for each muscle group?

sh_sh is just really nice. (+1000) sh_sh is just really nice. (+1000) sh_sh is just really nice. (+1000) sh_sh is just really nice. (+1000) sh_sh is just really nice. (+1000) sh_sh is just really nice. (+1000) sh_sh is just really nice. (+1000) sh_sh is just really nice. (+1000) sh_sh is just really nice. (+1000) sh_sh is just really nice. (+1000) sh_sh is just really nice. (+1000)
    Ive always split upper body into two days:chest/tris/delts, back/traps/biceps/forearms.

Originally Posted by sh_sh View Post
    Ive always split upper body into two days:chest/tris/delts, back/traps/biceps/forearms.
    Yeah, it seems like a lot to get through in 1 day... So I take it that means that you just do each muscle group 1x per week?

Has it been working for you in terms of reaching your weight loss goals?

Marine man is just really nice. (+1000) Marine man is just really nice. (+1000) Marine man is just really nice. (+1000) Marine man is just really nice. (+1000) Marine man is just really nice. (+1000) Marine man is just really nice. (+1000) Marine man is just really nice. (+1000) Marine man is just really nice. (+1000) Marine man is just really nice. (+1000) Marine man is just really nice. (+1000) Marine man is just really nice. (+1000)
    The first part of that program is sane,the second one, one body part once a week is not. And the fact that that person recommends 'cooling down' with 20 minutes of hiit is stupid. On a diet you don't want to increase your workload. For strength training, get in each body part twice a week or once every 5 days. 2-3 works sets is more than enough. Some moderate cardio is fine, don't go overboard.

Originally Posted by Marine man View Post
    The first part of that program is sane,the second one, one body part once a week is not. And the fact that that person recommends 'cooling down' with 20 minutes of hiit is stupid. On a diet you don't want to increase your workload. For strength training, get in each body part twice a week or once every 5 days. 2-3 works sets is more than enough. Some moderate cardio is fine, don't go overboard.
    On a diet you don't want to increase your workload? What is that supposed to mean? I thought that when you are dieting, the more work you do the better, thereby adding the caloric deficit.

Originally Posted by thrashertm View Post
    On a diet you don't want to increase your workload? What is that supposed to mean? I thought that when you are dieting, the more work you do the better, thereby adding the caloric deficit.
    It means what it sounds like. On a diet your body is gonna have a limited amount of recovery. People tend to go overboard and increase all types of ****. On a diet you should be working on maintaining your strength and get some cardio in, not hiit multiple times a week and high rep weight training and on and on. There is only so much your body can handle.

I didn't hear no bell! Rap_Rocky's Avatar
    Rap_Rocky will become famous soon enough. (+50) Rap_Rocky will become famous soon enough. (+50) Rap_Rocky will become famous soon enough. (+50) Rap_Rocky will become famous soon enough. (+50) Rap_Rocky will become famous soon enough. (+50) Rap_Rocky will become famous soon enough. (+50) Rap_Rocky will become famous soon enough. (+50) Rap_Rocky will become famous soon enough. (+50) Rap_Rocky will become famous soon enough. (+50) Rap_Rocky will become famous soon enough. (+50) Rap_Rocky will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    The whole "no pain, no gain" saying is full of bologna.

And as for your question it depends on how you split your workout routine. In my opinion, as long as you hit all the major muscle groups within the week, I find it suitable.
    I can accept failure, everyone fails at something. But I can't accept not trying.
    I'm not out there sweating for three hours every day just to find out what it feels like to sweat.