Pchurchill has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Thumbs up Is my routine sufficient? Keep, change, or scrap completely?

Hey everybody, I'm new to this site but I've been lifting for about 4 years. Now, I haven't been writing my own workouts but instead doing whatever the coach or strength & conditioning teacher assigns. Though I lack experience in creating training routines, I do know proper form with all of the common compound and isolation exercises and I have been doing them for years. I'm not just another ego-training kid in the weight room who loads up as much weight as possible and just tries to get it to move back and forth; I have always used proper form, I don't just know what it is.

I'm still in high school and I have no money for a gym membership or anything, but what I do have is a strength & conditioning class for an hour a day. We are in the weight room Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday. So with that in mind, I looked up a guide to creating a good weight training routine and used it to create what I think will work well. But hey! What do I know?

Here's the resource I used: (Edit: apparantly I can't post links until 50 posts. Copy and paste, remove the spaces) muscle and strength .com/expert-guides/muscle-building

So what I would like is input on the routine I made before I start using it on Monday(20120319). Is it good as is? Is there anything I could change to make better use of my time? Should I scrap it completely (If so, please suggest a training routine)?

I used the resource above to create an Upper/Lower split; lifting 6 sets 2x a week for each of the major muscle groups, 3 sets 2x a week for each of the small muscle groups, and 3 sets 2x a week for the minor muscle groups.

Monday (Upper Body)

Bench press 3(6-8)
    Bicep Curl 3(10-12ea)
    Incline Bench Press 3(6-8)
    DB Skullcrusher 3(10-12)
    Military Press 3(6-8)
    Alternating Delt Raise 3(10-12)

Tuesday (Lower Body)

BB Squat 3(6-8)
    DB calf raise 3(10-12)
    Bent-Over Row 3(6-8)
    Leg Curls 3(10-12)
    BB Lunge 3(6-8ea)
    Lat Pulls 3(6-8)

Thursday (Upper Body)

Incline Bench Press 3(8-10)
    Pullups(palms facing) 3(8-10)
    DB Fly 3(8-10)
    Close-grip Bench Press 3(8-10)
    Arnold Press 3(8-10)
    Lateral Raise 3(10-12)
    Seated Bent-over Rear Delt Raise 3(10-12)

Friday (Lower Body)

Deadlift 3(6-8)
    Bulgarian Split Squat 3(10-12ea)
    Calf Press 3(10-12)
    Leg Raise 3(8-12)
    Pullups(palms facing) 3(8-10)

On Wednesdays the class usually runs or plays a sport. I run long distance in track 4 days a week. On Thursdays I do extra PT at the USMC recruiting station. Saturday and Sunday are off, except for whatever pushups, pullups, and crunches I do during the day.

So that's what my week would look like after starting that routine. Is it good as is? Is there anything I could change to make better use of my time? Should I scrap it completely (If so, please suggest a training routine)?

On a side note, I really like this forum and find it to be a great resource. Thanks for your input!

Bump

No comments?

jammyo40 is a name known to all. (+5000) jammyo40 is a name known to all. (+5000) jammyo40 is a name known to all. (+5000) jammyo40 is a name known to all. (+5000) jammyo40 is a name known to all. (+5000) jammyo40 is a name known to all. (+5000) jammyo40 is a name known to all. (+5000) jammyo40 is a name known to all. (+5000) jammyo40 is a name known to all. (+5000) jammyo40 is a name known to all. (+5000) jammyo40 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    If the only time you can workout is during your S&C class, I would stick exclusively to compounds.
    The more that you read, the more things you'll know.
    The more that you learn, the more places you'll go.

Log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=149723023

Lendogg has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Lendogg has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Lendogg has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Lendogg has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Lendogg has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Lendogg has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Lendogg has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Lendogg has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Lendogg has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Lendogg has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Lendogg has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    your pushing movements to pulling movements is way off..

Thanks for the input. I'll make an alternate of all compounds. But, if I somehow am able to do what I've got in the OP in an hour or less, do you think it's a good routine to use? I'm basically asking if I put it together right. Haha I sat there for an hour and a half taking notes on that website and then another 30 minutes figuring out the routine. I don't know if what I made is any good. It certainly seems better than what the teacher has the rest of the class do.

Len, Monday has 3 pulls 3 pushes. Tuesday has 3pulls 3 pushes. Thursday has 3 pushes, 4 pulls (the last 3 being arnold press for more of the front delt, lat raise for more of the side delt, and seated bent over rear delt raise for the rear delt. I think that is fine having 1 extra pull to make sure I don't get a posture imbalance). Friday has 3 pushes, 2 pulls. All in all that makes 12 pushing exercises, 12 pulling exercises. Correct me if I'm wrong.
    Last edited by Pchurchill; 03-15-2012 at 09:33 PM.

witty comment goes here SimonThePieman's Avatar
    SimonThePieman is a name known to all. (+5000) SimonThePieman is a name known to all. (+5000) SimonThePieman is a name known to all. (+5000) SimonThePieman is a name known to all. (+5000) SimonThePieman is a name known to all. (+5000) SimonThePieman is a name known to all. (+5000) SimonThePieman is a name known to all. (+5000) SimonThePieman is a name known to all. (+5000) SimonThePieman is a name known to all. (+5000) SimonThePieman is a name known to all. (+5000) SimonThePieman is a name known to all. (+5000)
    day 1: Press
    main lift: BB Flat Bench Press
    DB Shoulder Press
    BB Row
    weighted Dips
    Delts

day2: Squat
    main lift: BB Box Squats
    Front Squats
    (WPT: press)
    RDLs

day3: Pull
    main lift: Weighted Wide Grip Pull ups
    Bent Over BB Row
    Press movement (5 x 5)
    One Arm DB Row
    (WPT or flexible for extra volume based on time and energy)

day4: Lift
    main lift: BB Sumo Deadlift
    Good Morning
    (WPT)
    BB Back Squat

this is my routine. It works. I assure you. The rep schemes are based on GST principles (see sticky in this forum)
    Saying Zyzz inspired you to lift is like saying Justin Bieber inspired you to sing

Hey Thanks for the suggestion, That may be the compound movement routine I'd be looking for