Closed Thread

Thread: Hiatal Hernia

jimg1220 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jimg1220 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jimg1220 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jimg1220 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jimg1220 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jimg1220 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jimg1220 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jimg1220 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jimg1220 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jimg1220 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jimg1220 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Hiatal Hernia

Hi everyone, I had a question I was hoping someone could help me out that is or has possibly been through the same thing. I was diagnosed about 2 years ago with a Hiatal Hernia and the only real symptom that I had was acid reflex. We'll ive been hitting the gym pretty hard the past few months and noticed I have been having pains in my left side of my chest, and some difficulty breathing. Ive been to the doctors and we pretty much blamed it on my asthma, but the more research I do the more I have found that its a symptom of hiatal hernias. Now on top of it, above my belly button (about an inch up) im having some pain. I guess my question comes down to this - if it IS my hernia bothering me, do I need to stop weight lifting? Any information anyone could offer me would be greatly appreciated.

gbg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I would stop for a while and see if your symptoms persist, if they do then I would have a follow up with another Dr. a second opinion can only help.
    Being a real lifter is not about a number, or a medal, or somebody else telling you that you are a real lifter. It is about commitment to the iron and strength of purpose.

freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I have a very small hiatal hernia and in the past it could cause me so much pain I thought I was having a heart attack. Nasty things. My pain is pretty much where the hernia is located.

Are you on meds for acid? If no, you should be. It's the acid backing up over the hernia that causes the pain.

If your pain is your hernia you don't need to stop lifting. You may need additional meds though as exercise can stimulate acid production. Check your diet and supps for aggravating ingredients.

dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I was diagnosed with a HH when I was 17, after throwing up large amounts of blood. But I was a truly wild kid and wasn't living right, and the puking blood happened right after I slipped into what they called a drug psychosis at the time . I ended up sleeping with a bottle (or two) of Maalox or Mylanta next to be bed all through college (yep, actually made it into one)...where I continued to party more than normal people and not eat blander type foods to help my condition. Back then, I was told that there was no guarantee of ridding myself of it even with surgery, so I never had anything done. After I got out of school a strange thing happened; I increased my drinking even more, but my HH wasn't bothering me near as much. It turns out that I had a lot more stress in school than I ever thought. Funny how things like that work. But I still continued using antacids regularly as the years went by...and I was still not living right (hey, it takes some of us a few decades to figure this stuff out ). Proper diet (hell, just a decent diet) no booze or excessive booze....and it's been many years since I can recall even thinking I needed a Tums .

But you need to get evaluated. You can die from internal bleeding from a HH, and it can happen to anyone at any age. You need a upper GI series done. The belly button deal sounds like that is a separate issue, and might be a different hernia.
    "If a kid asks where rain comes from, I think a cute thing to tell him is "God is crying." And if he asks why God is crying, another cute thing to tell him is "Probably because of something you did."

chodan9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) chodan9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) chodan9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) chodan9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) chodan9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) chodan9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) chodan9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) chodan9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) chodan9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) chodan9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) chodan9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I had one,
    I got it repaired, it was the best option for me, the docs said almost half my stomach had pulled into my eso****us. They basically pulled it back in place, and created a new valve using the muscle tissue surrounding the top of the stomach.
    I haven't had a drop of acid reflux since, nor have I had to take any meds (some of which have been shown to promote hip fractures with long term use)
    the only side effect is that "valve" they created is pretty much a one way valve, so I can get some heavy gas buildup, and since I can no longer burp "yes really" it has to go out the other way.
    So I try to limit things like soda that has a lot of gas on its own

edit: no belly button issue for me

hodag1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) hodag1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) hodag1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) hodag1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) hodag1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) hodag1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) hodag1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) hodag1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) hodag1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) hodag1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) hodag1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    These are nasty little buggers as I can fully attest. I used to have constant problem with acid reflux but in my late 20's I joined a gym that had a Nautilus machine that worked your abdominals. I forget the name of the machine, but you needed to twist the torso left and right using your obliques while lifting plates. It was totally different from the regular "crunch" machine due to the twisting, maybe something like this:

http://www.shapefit.com/abs-exercises-plate-twists.html

After a few weeks of that, I thankfully never had the problem again. Each hernia is different so you might, or might not, see similar results. Give it a try, it can't hurt.

Best of luck to you.
    May 31 WT: 227.6 BF%: 33.2%
    June 28 WT: 216.2 BF%: 32.0%
    July 26 WT: 207.6 BF%: 30.2%
    Aug 30 WT: 199.8 BF%: 28.7%

Goal WT: 155 BF%: 10.0%

jimg1220 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jimg1220 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jimg1220 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jimg1220 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jimg1220 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jimg1220 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jimg1220 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jimg1220 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jimg1220 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jimg1220 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jimg1220 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Thank you to everyone who gave me the great advice and who related with me. I am taking nexium but I noticed it isnt working as good as it has been - so maybe I do need to have the prescription upped or something more. Thanks again everyone, I just am beginning to see the progress in my workouts and the last thing I want to do is stop.

Another dumb question just because I wasnt sure - will working my abs help strengthen this or make it worse? Ive been afraid to do a lot of ab work because I thought it might be more pressure on the hernia - I wasnt really sure to be honest with you.

PD89 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by jimg1220 View Post
    Another dumb question just because I wasnt sure - will working my abs help strengthen this or make it worse? Ive been afraid to do a lot of ab work because I thought it might be more pressure on the hernia - I wasnt really sure to be honest with you.
    I'm 38 y/o and was diagnosed with a hiatal hernia last year. Since then I've been on PPIs everyday. I had to stop doing any ab exercises lying down (situps, etc.) because I started to get nauseated, etc. Instead, I've found that legs raises from a dip stand or other platform (while in the upright position) seems to be easier on me.

Hope this helps!

freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I think the best thing to do is check back in with your doctor. You should be able to gradually work your abs directly. They are worked indirectly during many exercises anyway. See the doc first.

Beachmaster is on a distinguished road. (+10) Beachmaster is on a distinguished road. (+10) Beachmaster is on a distinguished road. (+10) Beachmaster is on a distinguished road. (+10) Beachmaster is on a distinguished road. (+10) Beachmaster is on a distinguished road. (+10) Beachmaster is on a distinguished road. (+10) Beachmaster is on a distinguished road. (+10) Beachmaster is on a distinguished road. (+10) Beachmaster is on a distinguished road. (+10) Beachmaster is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Guys, in fact the hiatal hernia is NOT the major culprit underlying gastric reflux although it may exacerbate the condition. It is the lower esophogeal sphincter that is not closing properly that is the major factor contributing to this disorder and that is the reason that corrective surgeries to correct this condition are generally focused on repairing the lower eso****eal sphincter, not the hiatal hernia.

phigg is just really nice. (+1000) phigg is just really nice. (+1000) phigg is just really nice. (+1000) phigg is just really nice. (+1000) phigg is just really nice. (+1000) phigg is just really nice. (+1000) phigg is just really nice. (+1000) phigg is just really nice. (+1000) phigg is just really nice. (+1000) phigg is just really nice. (+1000) phigg is just really nice. (+1000)
    Just on a funny note, when I was younger my mom always worried that I'd give myself a hiatal hernia from loud, forceful belching. I could rip a burp in the kitchen and make the doorbell chimes, which hung in the dining room, ring sympathetically. My brother is even louder than me- we have some interesting genes, lol. Never got that hiatal hernia though..
    Using dry rotted rubber bands for tendons..

jellodirt is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jellodirt is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jellodirt is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jellodirt is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jellodirt is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jellodirt is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jellodirt is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jellodirt is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jellodirt is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jellodirt is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jellodirt is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I have a hiatal hernia and working out has never bothered it. Certain foods will set it off though. If it does hurt it is right under my sternum (near my xiphoid process).
    "Before my father died, he said the worst thing about growing old was that other men stopped seeing you as dangerous. I've always remembered that, how being dangerous was sacred, a badge of honor." - Act Of Valor

djflex has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) djflex has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) djflex has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) djflex has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) djflex has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) djflex has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) djflex has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) djflex has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) djflex has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) djflex has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) djflex has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    just diagnosed last week with this as well, was extrememly relieved to hear that I could continue lifting. I was worried they would tell me to stop...

blazd88 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) blazd88 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Going to the chiropractor regularly has helped me quite a bit as well.

VHVixen has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I was recently diagnosed with a Hiatal hernia and gained a few lbs because I stopped working out before finding out what it was, because of the pressure in my chest because I thought it was a heart attack. Now that I know what it is, I've been treating it with Accupuncture, papaya enyzmes, aloe vera water and the chiropractor. I've also changed my diet and want to begin exercising again, I was an avid lifter and runner. I think I got the hernia from stress and lifting too heavy. I am a bit apprehensive about getting back into working out because I am not sure what exercises are good for the hernia that won't aggravate it. I really want to lift again and especially target the legs, abs and glutes but I am not sure which exercises I can do. I feel like the only female on here that has one. Can anyone give any advice?

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by VHVixen View Post
    I was recently diagnosed with a Hiatal hernia and gained a few lbs because I stopped working out before finding out what it was, because of the pressure in my chest because I thought it was a heart attack. Now that I know what it is, I've been treating it with Accupuncture, papaya enyzmes, aloe vera water and the chiropractor. I've also changed my diet and want to begin exercising again, I was an avid lifter and runner. I think I got the hernia from stress and lifting too heavy. I am a bit apprehensive about getting back into working out because I am not sure what exercises are good for the hernia that won't aggravate it. I really want to lift again and especially target the legs, abs and glutes but I am not sure which exercises I can do. I feel like the only female on here that has one. Can anyone give any advice?
    See a real doctor. No one here could know the extent of your injury, or how much weight---if any at all--- you might be able to handle without further damage.

Good luck.
    No brain, no gain.

"The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

Where the mind goes, the body follows.

Ironwill Gym:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=629719403&postcount=3388

Ironwill2008 Journal:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157459343&p=1145168733