HavanaNeil has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Arrow [UK] Beginner full starter kit advice

Hi people,

Long time lurker, and after getting some generous cash gifts over christmas I've become a first time poster! I've been training at a gym for a while now and for various reasons I would like to move into some sort of home setup. I'm not concerned about actual oly lifting, and I just have to accept that I don't have enough money to get what I might really want but I would like some advice on if what I can get is worth buying.

Budget: <£400

For the bar + weights, I'm thinking:

A bodymax 145kg oly cast iron set, including 7ft barbell- £240 total, from powerhouse-fitness
    or
    body power 145kg tri grip cast iron oly set - also £239 from fitness-superstore

but I have no idea about brands or if these are a good deal. I do notice the bodymax bar doesn't have a rating listed, I plan on asking them before ordering but I'm assuming it would be something like 300kg, which is plenty for me for a good while yet!

For a bench, I would prefer to start with something cheap e.g. bodymax cf325 incline adjustable bench for £70.

Any thoughts welcome, or suggestions of other websites I could look at would be good. I have seen Strength Shop mentioned around here before, but unless I'm missing something the prices seem to be out of my league.

JoeCdn has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JoeCdn has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JoeCdn has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JoeCdn has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JoeCdn has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JoeCdn has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JoeCdn has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JoeCdn has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JoeCdn has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JoeCdn has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JoeCdn has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Hi Neil

I just started too and just purchased some equipment - here's what I've found. Your budget is about $600USD.

Weights - first I purchased about 80 lbs of York plates - these were 2.5 lbs to 25. I knew I would need these later to add to an oly set. The oly set I bought used and I would suggest the same. I picked up the 80 lbs so that I had something while I waited for a used deal.

Used plates - I found 350 lbs of Ivanko rubber coated plates. These are great. Feel great in the hands, quiet on the bar, and tight tolerances around the collar. If you can find used plates, that probably your best bet.

Bar - I have a Rogue beater bar - about $200 USD. I also purchased a used chrome bar - it's cheap. Cheap bar is probably ok to start with (I'm not dropping it or using it for crossfit).

Bench - that bench you suggested has a max of 400 lbs. That seems light. Maybe consider a flat bench with a higher max weight?

Power Rack - you didn't mention a rack. For safety, you should get a power rack. I'd suggest 2x2 11 gauge steel if you can. It will have to be used to keep it in the budget. A rack with 1000 lbs max rating.

I think you'll need to look at used equipment to get it all in under budget.

Good luck.

Joe

wgpa will become famous soon enough. (+50) wgpa will become famous soon enough. (+50) wgpa will become famous soon enough. (+50) wgpa will become famous soon enough. (+50) wgpa will become famous soon enough. (+50) wgpa will become famous soon enough. (+50) wgpa will become famous soon enough. (+50) wgpa will become famous soon enough. (+50) wgpa will become famous soon enough. (+50) wgpa will become famous soon enough. (+50) wgpa will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I've used the Bodypower weights and found the bar to be quite rattly and the weights were too small diameter wise to be used on their own for deadlifts. Delivery and customer service is good though.

I currently use a 145kg set from Discount Supplements, think it cost me around £180 or so. I'm upgrading just now, but the bar is better (still cheap and chrome) and the 20kg plates are closer to the right size.

I've got a bunch of reviews ok UK equipment on my blog if interested, link in my sig. Give me a PM if you want a hand finding anything as I went through it all as well!
    My Strength Training Blog: http://www.peckmeout.com/

Alyion is just really nice. (+1000) Alyion is just really nice. (+1000) Alyion is just really nice. (+1000) Alyion is just really nice. (+1000) Alyion is just really nice. (+1000) Alyion is just really nice. (+1000) Alyion is just really nice. (+1000) Alyion is just really nice. (+1000) Alyion is just really nice. (+1000) Alyion is just really nice. (+1000) Alyion is just really nice. (+1000)
    As above, I got the bodypower 140kg weight set + barbell and its worth mentioning the 20kg plates are a similar diameter to commercial 15kg ones - could make deadlifting a pain in the ass, but I just got use to it - can also come in handy though on the inverse for both rdl's and bb rows as there is less chance of hitting the floor if staying at a hang. I will also mention the barbell sleeve cracked after only about 8 weeks of use - rang them (powerhouse) up to complain and they sent a new one out free of charge - that one has been going strong almost two years however so maybe I got crazy unlucky.