Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    queloque will become famous soon enough. (+50) queloque will become famous soon enough. (+50) queloque will become famous soon enough. (+50) queloque will become famous soon enough. (+50) queloque will become famous soon enough. (+50) queloque will become famous soon enough. (+50) queloque will become famous soon enough. (+50) queloque will become famous soon enough. (+50) queloque will become famous soon enough. (+50) queloque will become famous soon enough. (+50) queloque will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by jeff232 View Post
    thanks for the quote from Lyle, I mashed the plan together from posts i read here in these forums, I have been following the broscience version evidently. Ill keep it at 24 hours next week
    You can stretch it over two days if you want to enjoy your carb-up over two days though. I often do it. I'll split 4000 to 5000 calories (24 hours worth) over two days. So 2500 on saturday and 2500 on sunday a little less or more because I personally enjoy carb-ups over the weekend. I like to split my High and low Glycemic carbs between the two days. Highs on Saturday and Lows on Sunday. Lyles McDonald recommends that if you do a two day carb-up.

So Sunday will be a bunch of melons, veggies and cleaner grains. Than transfer back into keto.

Pass The Refridgerator kudostojen's Avatar
    kudostojen is just really nice. (+1000) kudostojen is just really nice. (+1000) kudostojen is just really nice. (+1000) kudostojen is just really nice. (+1000) kudostojen is just really nice. (+1000) kudostojen is just really nice. (+1000) kudostojen is just really nice. (+1000) kudostojen is just really nice. (+1000) kudostojen is just really nice. (+1000) kudostojen is just really nice. (+1000) kudostojen is just really nice. (+1000)
    still seeing this question a lot.

"If we wait for the moment when everything, absolutely everything is ready, we shall never begin."
    Ivan Turgenev

If You Can't Stand Behind Our Troops, Feel Free To Stand in Front of Them ..

fabregas has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) fabregas has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) fabregas has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) fabregas has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) fabregas has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) fabregas has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Just had a few questions as I won't hit my first carb up for 2 1/2 weeks

If I do the 36 hour carb up that is recommended, Do I still eat my normal breakfast from my regular days which would be eggs, butter, and peanut butter?

The first point says eat 25-50 carbs 5 hours before the Friday workout but what if i workout less than an hour after waking? would i add those carbs to my usual meal? This question also pertains to the 25-50 grams of fruit that should be eaten 2 hours before that workout. Just add it all to that first meal?

Got confused on the put about the total amount of carbs during carb ups from the whole first 24 hours/2nd 24 hours thing. If I'm doing the 36 hour carb-up is the 10 grams/kg to be eaten on each day, Friday and Saturday, or is that the total for the entire 36 hours?

kudostojen is just really nice. (+1000) kudostojen is just really nice. (+1000) kudostojen is just really nice. (+1000) kudostojen is just really nice. (+1000) kudostojen is just really nice. (+1000) kudostojen is just really nice. (+1000) kudostojen is just really nice. (+1000) kudostojen is just really nice. (+1000) kudostojen is just really nice. (+1000) kudostojen is just really nice. (+1000) kudostojen is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by fabregas View Post
    Just had a few questions as I won't hit my first carb up for 2 1/2 weeks

If I do the 36 hour carb up that is recommended, Do I still eat my normal breakfast from my regular days which would be eggs, butter, and peanut butter?

The first point says eat 25-50 carbs 5 hours before the Friday workout but what if i workout less than an hour after waking? would i add those carbs to my usual meal? This question also pertains to the 25-50 grams of fruit that should be eaten 2 hours before that workout. Just add it all to that first meal?

Got confused on the put about the total amount of carbs during carb ups from the whole first 24 hours/2nd 24 hours thing. If I'm doing the 36 hour carb-up is the 10 grams/kg to be eaten on each day, Friday and Saturday, or is that the total for the entire 36 hours?
    I wouldn't eat that much fat on your carb days. A really easy thing to remember is reverse your keto macros from 65% fat to 65% carbs and make the fat 5%.

The 36hr carb up is when people do the depletion w/o Friday late afternoon/evening and continue their carb up through Saturday. If you do you depletion w/o in the morning then only do the carbup on that day or go 2 days/48hrs.

If the depletion is done in the morning i would recommend a shake 30-60min with high GI carbs before your w/o. I've never done my w/o in the morning.

"If we wait for the moment when everything, absolutely everything is ready, we shall never begin."
    Ivan Turgenev

Registered User super_curry_max's Avatar
    super_curry_max has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) super_curry_max has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) super_curry_max has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) super_curry_max has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) super_curry_max has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) super_curry_max has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) super_curry_max has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) super_curry_max has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) super_curry_max has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) super_curry_max has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) super_curry_max has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    If I only want to do a 24 hr carb up should I do it the day after my depletion workout or on the day of? I read some things that say you shouldn't do any lifting or cardio on the full carb day to fully restore glycogen levels and get the benefits.

Brianterz will become famous soon enough. (+50) Brianterz will become famous soon enough. (+50) Brianterz will become famous soon enough. (+50) Brianterz will become famous soon enough. (+50) Brianterz will become famous soon enough. (+50) Brianterz will become famous soon enough. (+50) Brianterz will become famous soon enough. (+50) Brianterz will become famous soon enough. (+50) Brianterz will become famous soon enough. (+50) Brianterz will become famous soon enough. (+50) Brianterz will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by super_curry_max View Post
    If I only want to do a 24 hr carb up should I do it the day after my depletion workout or on the day of? I read some things that say you shouldn't do any lifting or cardio on the full carb day to fully restore glycogen levels and get the benefits.
    you can if you want to.. some do some dont.. there isnt anything set in stone.. Some people dont like how they feel on a carb up.. when your body switches back to carbs you can feel kinda sick, hince not working out.. If it doesnt bother you then by allmeans work out.

Everyone is different. Try different things and do what works best for you
    THE KETO DIET-- www.bodybuildingdungeon.com/forums/nutrition/2156-ckd-cyclical.html

http://www.coconutoil.com/truth_saturated_fats.htm
    http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,584922,00.html

4theking will become famous soon enough. (+50) 4theking will become famous soon enough. (+50) 4theking will become famous soon enough. (+50) 4theking will become famous soon enough. (+50) 4theking will become famous soon enough. (+50) 4theking will become famous soon enough. (+50) 4theking will become famous soon enough. (+50) 4theking will become famous soon enough. (+50) 4theking will become famous soon enough. (+50) 4theking will become famous soon enough. (+50) 4theking will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Everyone is different

I think everyone is different. I have tried 24 hour spikes(carb ups), 48 hour spikes, 60 hour, and 72 hour. Believe it or not, I have seen the best weight loss results with the higher hour spikes. I keep experimenting and keep seeing the same results. I have lost weight and gained strength so I must be doing something right. Write down what you do then track your results and adjust accordingly.
    Start weight 279lbs 1/18/2016
    Goal weight 250lbs 5/6/2016
    Visit my website www.jasonfaulstich.com

stephano5 is not very helpful. (-500) stephano5 is not very helpful. (-500) stephano5 is not very helpful. (-500) stephano5 is not very helpful. (-500) stephano5 is not very helpful. (-500) stephano5 is not very helpful. (-500) stephano5 is not very helpful. (-500) stephano5 is not very helpful. (-500) stephano5 is not very helpful. (-500) stephano5 is not very helpful. (-500) stephano5 is not very helpful. (-500)
    i was under the assumption that now your in lipolysis, it can convert that to restore all energy levels?
    and that any calorie defecit is easier to call that your body is still using lipolysis for a calorie defecit, rather than crossing your fingers that it doesnt still want to use carbohydrates?

oh well it explains why one week into keto my strength dropped like a $2 hooker

krisnobles has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Very helpful thread.

peachestke has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) peachestke has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) peachestke has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) peachestke has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) peachestke has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) peachestke has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) peachestke has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) peachestke has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) peachestke has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) peachestke has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) peachestke has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I apologize for another carb up question, but still new to Keto. I did my first carb up, and even though I've lost weight this week...

how do you know when you've carb'd up too much?

From everything I've read from you guys (truly inspiring btw, loving keto and the help online) everyone is different. I get this, but I'm just curious do people generally feel bloated or heavier or something if they carb'd too much? Just because I read people get this metallic taste and this feeling where they know their in ketosis, just curious what signs if I carb'd up wrong or too much.

Thanks

Originally Posted by peachestke View Post
    I apologize for another carb up question, but still new to Keto. I did my first carb up, and even though I've lost weight this week...

how do you know when you've carb'd up too much?

From everything I've read from you guys (truly inspiring btw, loving keto and the help online) everyone is different. I get this, but I'm just curious do people generally feel bloated or heavier or something if they carb'd too much? Just because I read people get this metallic taste and this feeling where they know their in ketosis, just curious what signs if I carb'd up wrong or too much.

Thanks
    sorry for the late reply but it's been a while since i've been on this thread.

As with any diet, the same thing won't work for everyone but there are some basic guidelines to to remember and/or follow.

One thing you will need to factor in is how long your carb up lasts. The longer it lasts, the more likely you're going to retain more water. For me, if i do a 24hr to 36hr carb up i will retain less water than if i did a 48hr carb up. So i guess the answer to your question is, yes, you will be bloated and feel bloated after your carb up.

If you know your maintenance there shouldn't be a problem with doing too much. A simple way to figure out your carb up macros is to reverse the keto macro %s.

65/30/5

keto ---- fat/protein/carbs

carb up ---- carbs/protein/fat

Eat around 1-1.5 of your maintenance but some people can do double their maintenance but i wouldn't recommend it if you're trying to lose fat.

Ivan Turgenev

drwho19 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by kudostojen View Post
    Ok, i'm new to this diet but i keep seeing the same question almost on a daily basis.

So I'm going to put the information in this thread on how to carb up on the CKD.

Information from Lyle's book.

To shift the body out of ketosis and toward a more anabolic state, dieters will need to begin
    consuming carbohydrates approximately 5 hours prior to the final workout. At this time, a small
    amount of carbohydrates, perhaps 25 to 50 grams, can be consumed along with some protein and
    unsaturated fats, to begin the upregulation of liver enzymes. The type of carbohydrate needed
    has not been studied and individuals are encouraged to experiment with different types and
    amounts of foods.
    Approximately 2 hours before the final workout, a combination of glucose and fructose
    (with optional glutamine) should be consumed, to refill liver glycogen. Once again, specific
    amounts have not been determined but 25 to 50 grams total carbohydrate would seem a good
    place to start.

Nutrient intake

During the first 24 hours of carb-loading, carbohydrate intake should be 10 grams per
    kilogram of lean body mass or 4.5 grams of carbs per pound of lean body mass . This will
    represent 70% of the total calories consumed. The remaining calories are divided evenly between
    fat (15% of total calories) and protein (15% of total calories). Table 2 gives estimated amounts of
    carbohydrate, protein and fat for various amounts of lean body mass.
    During the second 24 hours of carb-loading, carbohydrates will make up 60% of the total calories,
    protein 25% and fat 15% as shown in table 3.

Summary of guidelines for glycogen supercompensation on the CKD

1. -5 hours prior to your final workout before the carb-up, consume 25-50 grams of carbohydrate
    with some protein to begin the shift out of ketosis. Small amounts of protein and fat may be
    added to this meal.
    2. -2 hours prior to the final workout, consume 25-50 grams of glucose and fructose (such as fruit)
    to refill liver glycogen.
    3. -The level of glycogen resynthesis depends on the duration of the carb-up and the amount of
    carbohydrates consumed. In 24 hours, glycogen levels of 100-110 mmol/kg can be achieved as
    long as 10 grams carb/kg lean body mass are consumed. During the second 24 hours of carbing,
    an intake of 5 grams/kg lean body mass is recommended.
    4.- During the first 24 hours, the macronutrient ratios should be 70% carbs, 15% protein and 15%
    fat. During the second 24 hours, the ratios are roughly 60% carbs, 25% protein and 15% fat.
    5. -As long as sufficient amounts of carbohydrate are consumed, the type and timing of intake is
    relatively less important. However, some data suggests the higher glycogen levels can be
    attained over 24 hours, if higher Glycemic Index (GI) carbs are consumed. If carbing is continued
    past 24 hours, lower GI foods should be consumed.

I know this is an older thread but i was wondering what book exactly by Lyle this is from?

lvsteven has a spectacular aura about. (+250) lvsteven has a spectacular aura about. (+250) lvsteven has a spectacular aura about. (+250) lvsteven has a spectacular aura about. (+250) lvsteven has a spectacular aura about. (+250) lvsteven has a spectacular aura about. (+250) lvsteven has a spectacular aura about. (+250) lvsteven has a spectacular aura about. (+250) lvsteven has a spectacular aura about. (+250) lvsteven has a spectacular aura about. (+250) lvsteven has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I am bumping this up because I had the same question, and researched it... this helps a lot and people ask this often.
    The Ultimate Resource on Dieting and Intermittent Fasting
    http://www.blastthebelly.com

dasviech will become famous soon enough. (+50) dasviech will become famous soon enough. (+50) dasviech will become famous soon enough. (+50) dasviech will become famous soon enough. (+50) dasviech will become famous soon enough. (+50) dasviech will become famous soon enough. (+50) dasviech will become famous soon enough. (+50) dasviech will become famous soon enough. (+50) dasviech will become famous soon enough. (+50) dasviech will become famous soon enough. (+50) dasviech will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I am a bit confused...
    I want to lose a bit weight ( around 14% right now, want to get under 10%) but also gain muscle mass... I am an endomorph, meaning i can get fat very quickly if I don't watch my calories.

Should i do a 24, 36 or 48h carb-up?
    Do i NEED to do a depletion workout prior to the carb-up?

AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by dasviech View Post
    I am a bit confused...
    I want to lose a bit weight ( around 14% right now, want to get under 10%) but also gain muscle mass... I am an endomorph, meaning i can get fat very quickly if I don't watch my calories.

Should i do a 24, 36 or 48h carb-up?
    Do i NEED to do a depletion workout prior to the carb-up?
    Everyone gains fat if they don't watch calories, not just you

dasviech will become famous soon enough. (+50) dasviech will become famous soon enough. (+50) dasviech will become famous soon enough. (+50) dasviech will become famous soon enough. (+50) dasviech will become famous soon enough. (+50) dasviech will become famous soon enough. (+50) dasviech will become famous soon enough. (+50) dasviech will become famous soon enough. (+50) dasviech will become famous soon enough. (+50) dasviech will become famous soon enough. (+50) dasviech will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by AlwaysTryin View Post
    Everyone gains fat if they don't watch calories, not just you
    I know, that was just a bit background information but that was not my question, thanks anyways

t0minit has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) t0minit has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

Depletion

Originally Posted by peteyyytran View Post
    Give me an example of your depletion work outs please
    All reps at 50%/70% max, 20 each
    ----------

calf raises x3
    squats x3
    shoulder press x3
    bench press x3
    sit ups x3
    upright rows x 3
    deadlift x3

30 min run

Then drag your sorry ass home and get some dextrose + protein immediately, followed by 1/4 of your total carbup calories 2-3 hours later

Or you could just attempt the "300" workout lol!
    Last edited by t0minit; 11-30-2011 at 03:36 AM.

Tevexs has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Tevexs has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Tevexs has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Tevexs has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Tevexs has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Tevexs has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Tevexs has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Tevexs has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Tevexs has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Tevexs has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Tevexs has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    So im confused by the mixed messages. If you're doing a 24 hour carb up, do you need to consume more than maintenance cals or can you cruise it at maintenance for the duration? If you follow the 70/15/15 macro ratio, will you still get the super compensation effect? Lastly, if you don't fill up muscle glycogen as much as if you consumed 4.5xlbm in carb/g, will you just not have as much to fuel your lifts through the week??

aaron19993 is on a distinguished road. (+10) aaron19993 is on a distinguished road. (+10) aaron19993 is on a distinguished road. (+10) aaron19993 is on a distinguished road. (+10) aaron19993 is on a distinguished road. (+10) aaron19993 is on a distinguished road. (+10) aaron19993 is on a distinguished road. (+10) aaron19993 is on a distinguished road. (+10) aaron19993 is on a distinguished road. (+10) aaron19993 is on a distinguished road. (+10) aaron19993 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    quick question... my split is mon, tues, thurs,fri.. so saturday is the day i will do depletion and start carb up which will be about 5pm untill the following sunday night... should i follw my normal weekly diet on saturday before depletion workout (high fats mod protein), or should i lower fat intake down as i will be starting carb up later that evening?

Location: west coast, scotland, United Kingdom (Great Britain)
    lindseym631 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lindseym631 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lindseym631 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lindseym631 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lindseym631 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lindseym631 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lindseym631 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lindseym631 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Tomorrow will be day 18 for me, was planning on doing a carb up on day 14 but the more I read the more I feel I should hold the carbs for another week or so. Feeling great this week, smashed all my PB at the gym yesterday and still doing well with HIIT.

Question is, do you think I should give it another week or if I notice strength or stamina slipping before a carb up?

Also, I am a woman with about 15lb fat to lose and don't want to feel bloated and crap for days so do you think one high carb meal or one high carb day (12hrs) would be a good place to start for my first time?

Just googled '300 workout' looks pretty cool, think I'll start on the beginners one tomorrow!

Location: west coast, scotland, United Kingdom (Great Britain)
    lindseym631 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lindseym631 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lindseym631 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lindseym631 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lindseym631 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lindseym631 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lindseym631 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lindseym631 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    My question might have just been answered in the form of a tv advert....

Mothers day corresponds to day 26 for me, how does a homemade raspberry pavlova with low fat cream sound for a carb up? :P

cjbrill has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    If you carb up once a week, are you not re-exposing yourself to the symptoms of going back into Ketosis every week hence you would feel terrible for 3-4 days per week EVERY week?

Ana1514 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    What if I did not carb up correctly? Should I go back to ketosis and do it gradually? Is there a difference?

Tucane is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Tucane is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Tucane is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Tucane is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Tucane is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Tucane is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Tucane is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Tucane is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Tucane is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Tucane is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Tucane is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by Ana1514 View Post
    What if I did not carb up correctly? Should I go back to ketosis and do it gradually? Is there a difference?
    One carb-up done "wrong" won't matter if you look at the big picture. If you have a good strategy for your goals then just go back to it and keep it up.

A sidenote: If you feel good enough benefits from carbing up, it might be worth considering a regular diet.
    ~ Feel free to PM me if you have any questions ~

" As mind ~ as matter "