reminisce32 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) reminisce32 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) reminisce32 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) reminisce32 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

"Every other day" routine better than working out 3-4 days in a row ?

I've had a big dilemma lately in trying to figure out which routine would be best for me.

--------------------------

Old Routine (Every muscle, twice a week):

Mon - Back/Biceps/Forearms/Abs
    Teus - Chest/Triceps
    Wed - Shoulders/Traps/Legs/Abs
    Thurs - Off
    Fri -Back/Biceps/Forearms/Abs
    Sat - Chest/Triceps
    Sun - Shoulders/Traps/Legs/Abs

The problem with this schedule was my shoulders would constantly be sore to the point that when I finally got to the 3rd day of my 3-day-split for shoulders, my shoulders would be a wreck from doing chest and back.

Current Routine (Every other day, each muscle worked once a week):

Mon -Back/Biceps/Forearms/Abs
    Teus - Off
    Wed - Chest/Triceps/Abs
    Thurs - Off
    Fri -Shoulders/Traps/Legs/Abs
    Sat - Off
    Sun - Back/Biceps/Forearms/Abs, etc... the 3 day split begins again, every other day.

I love this schedule, I feel like I get sufficient rest, but I'm afraid that I might not be doing enough, even though I'm beating the hell out of my muscles for 2 hours each day I go to the gym.

So which schedule should I go with, or should I tweak it ? If I can do each muscle twice a week, would that make my muscles grow twice as fast or would I be risking damaging my shoulders because they were getting killed when I did the first schedule I typed out here. I noticed in a lot of the schedules of the "featured amature bodybuilders" on this site only work each muscle once a week with like 5 day splits so I don't know if each muscle twice a week is too much.. help. Thanks.

Spankytwo is on a distinguished road. (+10) Spankytwo is on a distinguished road. (+10) Spankytwo is on a distinguished road. (+10) Spankytwo is on a distinguished road. (+10) Spankytwo is on a distinguished road. (+10) Spankytwo is on a distinguished road. (+10) Spankytwo is on a distinguished road. (+10) Spankytwo is on a distinguished road. (+10) Spankytwo is on a distinguished road. (+10) Spankytwo is on a distinguished road. (+10) Spankytwo is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Based on what Ive read, you shouldnt be doing legs/chest more then once a week, as your muscles only grow by resting them, so if you overwork, then you are losing more calories (If you are bulking) and will never progress.

So, I would go with the other one, as that seems to be the norm for people when they first start out, but, in the end, it all depends on how your body reacts.

Also, as in the end of your post, your muscles grow by letting them rest, as you rip your muscles/damage them when you work out, so your cells in your muscles split/grow to repair them. If you work out too much, then your cells will never have time to grow/repair/split, so your muscles will never grow.

Strong just got Stronger 7399martyn's Avatar
    7399martyn is a name known to all. (+5000) 7399martyn is a name known to all. (+5000) 7399martyn is a name known to all. (+5000) 7399martyn is a name known to all. (+5000) 7399martyn is a name known to all. (+5000) 7399martyn is a name known to all. (+5000) 7399martyn is a name known to all. (+5000) 7399martyn is a name known to all. (+5000) 7399martyn is a name known to all. (+5000) 7399martyn is a name known to all. (+5000) 7399martyn is a name known to all. (+5000)
    ^^STFU^^
    you can train the same muscles more than once a week, i squat 3 times a week. You're not going to overowrk them by training them more than once a week.

you sir. are thinking too much.
    Powerlifter at PTC Performance Training Centre

661 squat, 385 bench, 705 deadlift, 1752lb total.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AVx1ANJc7lc

competitive swimmer fitnessnewb's Avatar
    fitnessnewb is just really nice. (+1000) fitnessnewb is just really nice. (+1000) fitnessnewb is just really nice. (+1000) fitnessnewb is just really nice. (+1000) fitnessnewb is just really nice. (+1000) fitnessnewb is just really nice. (+1000) fitnessnewb is just really nice. (+1000) fitnessnewb is just really nice. (+1000) fitnessnewb is just really nice. (+1000) fitnessnewb is just really nice. (+1000) fitnessnewb is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by Spankytwo View Post
    Based on what Ive read, you shouldnt be doing legs/chest more then once a week, as your muscles only grow by resting them, so if you overwork, then you are losing more calories (If you are bulking) and will never progress.

So, I would go with the other one, as that seems to be the norm for people when they first start out, but, in the end, it all depends on how your body reacts.

Also, as in the end of your post, your muscles grow by letting them rest, as you rip your muscles/damage them when you work out, so your cells in your muscles split/grow to repair them. If you work out too much, then your cells will never have time to grow/repair/split, so your muscles will never grow.
    stopped with reading after that.

Martyn is right
    My swimming log

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=122562471&goto=newpost

dumpytheclown has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dumpytheclown has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dumpytheclown has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dumpytheclown has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dumpytheclown has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dumpytheclown has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    have u incorporated squats and deads?

Avenger7x is on a distinguished road. (+10) Avenger7x is on a distinguished road. (+10) Avenger7x is on a distinguished road. (+10) Avenger7x is on a distinguished road. (+10) Avenger7x is on a distinguished road. (+10) Avenger7x is on a distinguished road. (+10) Avenger7x is on a distinguished road. (+10) Avenger7x is on a distinguished road. (+10) Avenger7x is on a distinguished road. (+10) Avenger7x is on a distinguished road. (+10) Avenger7x is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Everyone ponders this question sooner or later. My bro was a powerlifter and he lifted heavy almost every day of the week and he was a beast. The best advice he has ever given me about lifting was this: Stop Thinking, Start Lifting! Granted not every piece of advise works for everyone equally, it's safe to say most people overthink their routines or what they should be doing. Listen to your body. If you're eating right, lifting, and getting your rest, you should be fine either way.

Loswaldo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Loswaldo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Loswaldo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Loswaldo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Loswaldo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Loswaldo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Loswaldo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Loswaldo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Loswaldo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Loswaldo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Loswaldo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    You can work out continously if you like just as long as you dont work out the same muscle groups 2 days in a row or less than 48 hours.
    The more you sweat in practice, the less you bleed in battle.

PSN: MrLoswaldo
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/Umad_Brasiek
    Blog: newjackhiphop.com

beaverfever is on a distinguished road. (+10) beaverfever is on a distinguished road. (+10) beaverfever is on a distinguished road. (+10) beaverfever is on a distinguished road. (+10) beaverfever is on a distinguished road. (+10) beaverfever is on a distinguished road. (+10) beaverfever is on a distinguished road. (+10) beaverfever is on a distinguished road. (+10) beaverfever is on a distinguished road. (+10) beaverfever is on a distinguished road. (+10) beaverfever is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I wouldn't do any heavy duty work on a muscle if it is sore. I'll do some indirect work on a muscle if it is a bit sore (doing shoulders the day after chest/tris). Muscles in your arms and core seem more capable of working on a nearly everyday basis. It's the bigger muscles (quads, chest, delts) that I make sure get plenty of rest in between workouts. But I'll go into the gym 3 days in a row and get a little pump in my arms. Anybody else agree?

StylesOfBeyond is a jewel in the rough. (+500) StylesOfBeyond is a jewel in the rough. (+500) StylesOfBeyond is a jewel in the rough. (+500) StylesOfBeyond is a jewel in the rough. (+500) StylesOfBeyond is a jewel in the rough. (+500) StylesOfBeyond is a jewel in the rough. (+500) StylesOfBeyond is a jewel in the rough. (+500) StylesOfBeyond is a jewel in the rough. (+500) StylesOfBeyond is a jewel in the rough. (+500) StylesOfBeyond is a jewel in the rough. (+500) StylesOfBeyond is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    recently i've come to my own lil idea on what's harmful to you and what ain't

-you CAN train every day if you do a body split since the same body part is (theoretically) not worked more than one day in the split, since the previously trained muscles need time to rest and rebuild. once the split is done, you can take 1/2 rest days, maybe not if you're a nazi

-you CAN'T train every day if you do a compound-lift orientated workout such as stronglifts, madcows etc, since they're an all body routine that leaves your body needing time to recover, hence days inbetween.

am guessing that there's a lot in my post that can be picked apart and shat on, but am i generally on the right track?

ayekay is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ayekay is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ayekay is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ayekay is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ayekay is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ayekay is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ayekay is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ayekay is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ayekay is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ayekay is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ayekay is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    just get a good rest period between exercise days. i train chest 2 times a week as well as squats
    #POLISHcrew
    #turboswag

kkraayen has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kkraayen has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kkraayen has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kkraayen has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kkraayen has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kkraayen has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kkraayen has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kkraayen has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kkraayen has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kkraayen has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kkraayen has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    For most people, having a rest day inbetween all workouts is very beneficial. I don't care if you are doing different muscles everyday. Working out everyday will not allow most people to recover properly and CNS is always dampened. Your second routine is much better than your original.

Strong just got Stronger 7399martyn's Avatar
    7399martyn is a name known to all. (+5000) 7399martyn is a name known to all. (+5000) 7399martyn is a name known to all. (+5000) 7399martyn is a name known to all. (+5000) 7399martyn is a name known to all. (+5000) 7399martyn is a name known to all. (+5000) 7399martyn is a name known to all. (+5000) 7399martyn is a name known to all. (+5000) 7399martyn is a name known to all. (+5000) 7399martyn is a name known to all. (+5000) 7399martyn is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by StylesOfBeyond View Post
    recently i've come to my own lil idea on what's harmful to you and what ain't

-you CAN train every day if you do a body split since the same body part is (theoretically) not worked more than one day in the split, since the previously trained muscles need time to rest and rebuild. once the split is done, you can take 1/2 rest days, maybe not if you're a nazi

-you CAN'T train every day if you do a compound-lift orientated workout such as stronglifts, madcows etc, since they're an all body routine that leaves your body needing time to recover, hence days inbetween.

am guessing that there's a lot in my post that can be picked apart and shat on, but am i generally on the right track?
    no, fuzzy (a well respected memeber) squats heavy everyday minus sunday.
    Powerlifter at PTC Performance Training Centre

661 squat, 385 bench, 705 deadlift, 1752lb total.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AVx1ANJc7lc

StylesOfBeyond is a jewel in the rough. (+500) StylesOfBeyond is a jewel in the rough. (+500) StylesOfBeyond is a jewel in the rough. (+500) StylesOfBeyond is a jewel in the rough. (+500) StylesOfBeyond is a jewel in the rough. (+500) StylesOfBeyond is a jewel in the rough. (+500) StylesOfBeyond is a jewel in the rough. (+500) StylesOfBeyond is a jewel in the rough. (+500) StylesOfBeyond is a jewel in the rough. (+500) StylesOfBeyond is a jewel in the rough. (+500) StylesOfBeyond is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by 7399martyn View Post
    no, fuzzy (a well respected memeber) squats heavy everyday minus sunday.
    damnit, was wondering when holes were gonna get poked in my theory haha

MegaMeaty has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MegaMeaty has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MegaMeaty has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MegaMeaty has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MegaMeaty has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MegaMeaty has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MegaMeaty has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MegaMeaty has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MegaMeaty has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MegaMeaty has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MegaMeaty has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Do push pull legs every other day. Works good, ive done it before and loved it. Didnt need to deload for about 10 weeks.