samcramp has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) samcramp has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) samcramp has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) samcramp has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) samcramp has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) samcramp has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) samcramp has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) samcramp has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) samcramp has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) samcramp has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) samcramp has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

neutral grip pull ups

what are the benefits/negatives of these compared with close grip chins/normal grip pulls?
    A goal is not always meant to be reached, it often serves simply as something to aim at - Bruce Lee

**Brothers of Iron**

steelmover is on a distinguished road. (+10) steelmover is on a distinguished road. (+10) steelmover is on a distinguished road. (+10) steelmover is on a distinguished road. (+10) steelmover is on a distinguished road. (+10) steelmover is on a distinguished road. (+10) steelmover is on a distinguished road. (+10) steelmover is on a distinguished road. (+10) steelmover is on a distinguished road. (+10) steelmover is on a distinguished road. (+10) steelmover is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Thumbs up

there are no negatives to this kind of pull up. It just hits a different area on your back more so than other. When i do them i feel the most in the lower lats and biceps. Im not saying its for the lower lats that's just where it hits the most on me.
    Keep doing them.

__r is a jewel in the rough. (+500) __r is a jewel in the rough. (+500) __r is a jewel in the rough. (+500) __r is a jewel in the rough. (+500) __r is a jewel in the rough. (+500) __r is a jewel in the rough. (+500) __r is a jewel in the rough. (+500) __r is a jewel in the rough. (+500) __r is a jewel in the rough. (+500) __r is a jewel in the rough. (+500) __r is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by samcramp View Post
    what are the benefits/negatives of these compared with close grip chins/normal grip pulls?
    Pull-ups: Less biceps, more back. Harder.
    Chin-ups: More biceps. Easier.
    Neutral Grip Chin-ups: Most biceps involvement. Easiest.
    Easiest on shoulders, elbows and wrists: Neutral Grip Chin-ups

Here is a good article about the topic: http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/charles4.htm

dopamine72 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dopamine72 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dopamine72 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dopamine72 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dopamine72 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dopamine72 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dopamine72 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dopamine72 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dopamine72 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dopamine72 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dopamine72 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    here's something to try,

Do as many wide grip pull ups or pull ups as you can, then do as many chins, then finish off with as many neutral grip pull ups. The ultimate super set, have fun.

Appetite has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Appetite has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Appetite has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Appetite has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Appetite has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Appetite has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Appetite has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Appetite has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Appetite has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Appetite has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Appetite has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    theres really not much difference as far a back development goes. If anything it put the arms in a stronger / more natural position than most other forms of pull up.
    My powerlifting and death/thrash metal log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=141720221&p=843503391&posted=1#post843503391

samcramp has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) samcramp has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) samcramp has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) samcramp has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) samcramp has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) samcramp has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) samcramp has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) samcramp has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) samcramp has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) samcramp has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) samcramp has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    ok thanks guys
    A goal is not always meant to be reached, it often serves simply as something to aim at - Bruce Lee

**Brothers of Iron**

289Falcon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 289Falcon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 289Falcon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 289Falcon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 289Falcon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 289Falcon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 289Falcon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 289Falcon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 289Falcon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 289Falcon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 289Falcon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Neutral works back and biceps more equally, IMO. Pull ups = more back & Chin ups = more biceps

I love doing weighted neutral grip as I can really pile on the weight and hit my lats, back, and bis hard. All at the same time.

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz
    Using a neutral grip may be more shoulder and wrist-friendly to you than the other variants. Other than that, not a great deal of difference, as long as each variant is performed correctly.
    No brain, no gain.

"The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

Where the mind goes, the body follows.

Ironwill Gym:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=629719403&postcount=3388

Ironwill2008 Journal:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157459343&p=1145168733

bluesky95 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bluesky95 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bluesky95 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bluesky95 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bluesky95 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bluesky95 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bluesky95 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bluesky95 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bluesky95 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bluesky95 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bluesky95 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    For a couple months now I've been adding a few sets of neutral grip pullups during my chest workouts. I make sure I use good form and perform them slowly; I bring my chest completely to the top of the bar and touch it, go all the way down to the starting position, and continue doing reps in this fashion. Now, the reason I do these on chest days is because I actually feel this working my pecs... but I've never heard of that for pullups so I'm just wondering if I'm imagining it or doing something wrong? Of course I also feel this work my back and biceps but also chest (mostly at the high point of movement when I bring my chest to the bar). Thoughts?
    Last edited by bluesky95; 11-18-2014 at 05:00 AM. Reason: back and shoulders --> meant to say: "back and biceps"
    blueskyy.com

bucsdodgers is a name known to all. (+5000) bucsdodgers is a name known to all. (+5000) bucsdodgers is a name known to all. (+5000) bucsdodgers is a name known to all. (+5000) bucsdodgers is a name known to all. (+5000) bucsdodgers is a name known to all. (+5000) bucsdodgers is a name known to all. (+5000) bucsdodgers is a name known to all. (+5000) bucsdodgers is a name known to all. (+5000) bucsdodgers is a name known to all. (+5000) bucsdodgers is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by dopamine72 View Post
    here's something to try,

Do as many wide grip pull ups or pull ups as you can, then do as many chins, then finish off with as many neutral grip pull ups. The ultimate super set, have fun.
    This sounds like something I'll try! I like neutral pull ups for a warm up on back day.
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=172784881 redtest log
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=173258571

Mike750 is a name known to all. (+5000) Mike750 is a name known to all. (+5000) Mike750 is a name known to all. (+5000) Mike750 is a name known to all. (+5000) Mike750 is a name known to all. (+5000) Mike750 is a name known to all. (+5000) Mike750 is a name known to all. (+5000) Mike750 is a name known to all. (+5000) Mike750 is a name known to all. (+5000) Mike750 is a name known to all. (+5000) Mike750 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by bluesky95 View Post
    For a couple months now I've been adding a few sets of neutral grip pullups during my chest workouts. I make sure I use good form and perform them slowly; I bring my chest completely to the top of the bar and touch it, go all the way down to the starting position, and continue doing reps in this fashion. Now, the reason I do these on chest days is because I actually feel this working my pecs... but I've never heard of that for pullups so I'm just wondering if I'm imagining it or doing something wrong? Of course I also feel this work my back and biceps but also chest (mostly at the high point of movement when I bring my chest to the bar). Thoughts?
    My thinking would be that since your doing this on chest day your chest is already pumped and maybe a little fatigued do therefore more sensitive to any additional work that is immediately done after.

Add to that the fact that neutral grip Phillips put the elbows in front of the body so that as you pull, the chest could be more involved in keeping the elbows and arms tracking in the right plane and the higher you go, the more the elbows want to spread to make room to pass along the torso so that means just a little more effort to keep the elbows in.
    "When my opponent contracts, I expand. And when he expands, I contract.
    And when the opportunity arrives, *looks at clenched fist* I do not hit with it. It hits all by itself"-Bruce Lee
    ---------------------------------------------------
    If you're hungry.....it's too late.

61PWCC is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) 61PWCC is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) 61PWCC is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) 61PWCC is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) 61PWCC is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) 61PWCC is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) 61PWCC is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) 61PWCC is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) 61PWCC is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) 61PWCC is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) 61PWCC is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by bluesky95 View Post
    When you pull you arms down, it will be the Lats&Teres Major doing it(along with long head of Triceps) IF the upper arms are going behind you. If the upper arms are being pulled down in front of you then its the Sternal Pectoralis doing so. Using a Neutral Grip Pullup allows the arms to be pulled down to the sides so you can get pull from both the Lats&Teres Major AND Sternal Pectoralis.
    Another cool Superset would be a set of Neutral Grip Pullups followed by a set of Neutral Grip Dumbbell Presses. The Presses will work Clavicular Pecs&Upper Traps, Serratus Anterior, Supraspinatus and long head of the Biceps. Go back and forth for a great pump. Opposite movements are great for ensuring you hit everything coming and going. Also since you will be contracting the antagonist of what you just worked, those muscles will recover faster since the are being stretched(relaxed) by the contraction of their antagonists.
    I train at home on a very old Power Rack that has a normal Chinup Bar. Not until I put my Trap Bar on top of my rack was I able to do Neutral Grip Pullups. What a difference!! Since there isn't a bar in the way, I can pull until I hit full contraction: much greater ROM. Going back to regular Pullups feels like cheating with its shorter ROM.
    Also the Trap Bar Pullup is wider than set ups I see built into Power Racks so my arms are further out to the sides which allows the shoulder to be more externally rotated. The action feels more like a curl and I get quite the Bicep contraction at the top. Due to the more external rotation of the Humerus on this version, the Pecs aren't able to help as much as on the narrower version. Basically, on my set up, my whole body fits in between the handles. If anyone here gets a chance to put a Trap Bar on top of a rack or even on the pins and do some Pullups, let me know what you think.
    The best Bicep Pullup I've done is Curl Grip Behind the Neck Pullups, touching the back of the neck on each rep.
    Whatever wrinkles I face in life, I know hittin' the weights will IRON them out
    It pains me to take a day off for there is much weight to be lifted and life is short
    Lifting does require weighting for results
    Lifting well is the best revenge
    To lift like no one else,lift like no one else
    Favorite Soap Opera: One Life to Lift
    www.********.com/groups/StroongmanArchaeology/
    ()---() York Barbell Club #61 ()---() YORK DD 35s ()---()
    ()---() YORK DD 75s ()---() YORK DD 20 Kg ()---()

bluesky95 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bluesky95 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bluesky95 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bluesky95 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bluesky95 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bluesky95 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bluesky95 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bluesky95 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bluesky95 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bluesky95 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bluesky95 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Thanks for the responses :-D
    blueskyy.com