Closed Thread
    romofan7 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) romofan7 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) romofan7 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) romofan7 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) romofan7 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) romofan7 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) romofan7 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) romofan7 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) romofan7 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) romofan7 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) romofan7 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)

About how many calories does a pull-up burn?

I'm 155.
    I need an estimate of about how many calories a pull up burns?
    thanks

musclegianer02 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) musclegianer02 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) musclegianer02 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) musclegianer02 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) musclegianer02 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) musclegianer02 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) musclegianer02 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) musclegianer02 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) musclegianer02 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) musclegianer02 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) musclegianer02 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    none really it depends on how many you do and if you get your heart rate up. So if it does its very minimal. If your looking to burn calories your answer is cardio.

MCrow is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MCrow is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MCrow is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MCrow is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MCrow is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MCrow is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MCrow is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MCrow is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MCrow is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MCrow is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MCrow is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    probably about 4 calories per pull up or you could just run for 15 minutes and burn about 160.
    Vikings--Wolves-Gophers
    ***United----MNUFC***
    *****Celiac Bruh*****

Cuts like an emo kid AtleastItried's Avatar
    AtleastItried will become famous soon enough. (+50) AtleastItried will become famous soon enough. (+50) AtleastItried will become famous soon enough. (+50) AtleastItried will become famous soon enough. (+50) AtleastItried will become famous soon enough. (+50) AtleastItried will become famous soon enough. (+50) AtleastItried will become famous soon enough. (+50) AtleastItried will become famous soon enough. (+50) AtleastItried will become famous soon enough. (+50) AtleastItried will become famous soon enough. (+50) AtleastItried will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    complicated question that seems simple on the surface!

Rather than worrying about this, I would calculate your BMR and go from there to determine what your excercise plan should be... trying to calculate every pull up is just going to give you a headache...
    Try not. Do or do not. There is no try.

"There are no limits. There are plateaus, but you must not stay there, you must go beyond them. If it kills you, it kills you. A man must constantly exceed his level". ~Bruce Lee

Tiffany_P is just really nice. (+1000) Tiffany_P is just really nice. (+1000) Tiffany_P is just really nice. (+1000) Tiffany_P is just really nice. (+1000) Tiffany_P is just really nice. (+1000) Tiffany_P is just really nice. (+1000) Tiffany_P is just really nice. (+1000) Tiffany_P is just really nice. (+1000) Tiffany_P is just really nice. (+1000) Tiffany_P is just really nice. (+1000) Tiffany_P is just really nice. (+1000)
    Is this for science class or something?

Assuming a range of motion of 2 feet from your chin to your fist, then:
    m=155lb=70.3kg
    g=9.8m/s^2
    h=2ft=0.61m

work=mgh

Work = 70.3kg*9.8m/s^2*0.61m = 420N*m = 100calories = 0.1 kcal

Our bodies are very inefficient though. A lot of muscles need to get flexed in order to perform that .1 kcal of work. If you assume an efficiency of 10%, then you'd burn 1kcal doing that pull-up.

Is that what you were looking for?

DuLac is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DuLac is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DuLac is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DuLac is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DuLac is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DuLac is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DuLac is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DuLac is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DuLac is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DuLac is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DuLac is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Impressive physics Tiffany.
    MMMC/He-Man Crew

Misc Strength Crew

Bench: 295x4
    Squat: 315x4
    Dead: 370x4
    -Raw-
    ◕‿◕

Firelyle has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Tiffany..very nice physics calculations! You obviously paid attention.

Tiffany_P is just really nice. (+1000) Tiffany_P is just really nice. (+1000) Tiffany_P is just really nice. (+1000) Tiffany_P is just really nice. (+1000) Tiffany_P is just really nice. (+1000) Tiffany_P is just really nice. (+1000) Tiffany_P is just really nice. (+1000) Tiffany_P is just really nice. (+1000) Tiffany_P is just really nice. (+1000) Tiffany_P is just really nice. (+1000) Tiffany_P is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by DuLac View Post
    Impressive physics Tiffany.
    Originally Posted by Firelyle View Post
    Tiffany..very nice physics calculations! You obviously paid attention.
    LOL thanks guys. I'm a mechanical engineer.

logiemcbay has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Smile Weight loss

Originally Posted by Tiffany_P View Post
    LOL thanks guys. I'm a mechanical engineer.
    Hi Tiffany, I have a little excess on my stomach area, i am starting to do 2 X 50 press ups & 2 X 50 pull ups within a space of around 10 minutes. What else could you suggest i do everyday / most days in order to lose this extra pounds?

Fatphobia is on a distinguished road. (+10) Fatphobia is on a distinguished road. (+10) Fatphobia is on a distinguished road. (+10) Fatphobia is on a distinguished road. (+10) Fatphobia is on a distinguished road. (+10) Fatphobia is on a distinguished road. (+10) Fatphobia is on a distinguished road. (+10) Fatphobia is on a distinguished road. (+10) Fatphobia is on a distinguished road. (+10) Fatphobia is on a distinguished road. (+10) Fatphobia is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by logiemcbay View Post
    Hi Tiffany, I have a little excess on my stomach area, i am starting to do 2 X 50 press ups & 2 X 50 pull ups within a space of around 10 minutes. What else could you suggest i do everyday / most days in order to lose this extra pounds?
    Eat less.
    Jan 1st to May 1st Fat Loss Comp.
    1-1: 209.4 lbs | 1-6: 206.6 | 1-13: 205.0 | 1-20: 203.0 | 1-27: 202.8 | Month Total: 6.6
    2-3: 201.0 lbs | 2-10: 202.0 l 2-17: 200.0 | 2-24: xxx | Month Total:
    3-2: xxx | 3-9: xxx | 3-16: xxx | 3-23: xxx | 3-30: xxx | Month Total:
    4-6: xxx | 4-13: xxx | 4-20: xxx | 4-27: xxx | Month Total:
    Final Weigh-in | 5-1: xxx

2010 Dec 13---- 242 ( starting weight )

Goal
    1. 210 end of dec * goal reached *
    2. 202 end of jan '12
    3. 197 end of feb '12

sharpieblet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sharpieblet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sharpieblet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sharpieblet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sharpieblet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sharpieblet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sharpieblet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sharpieblet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sharpieblet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sharpieblet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sharpieblet is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    someone obviously didn't read stickies

krete77 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) krete77 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) krete77 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) krete77 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) krete77 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) krete77 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) krete77 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) krete77 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) krete77 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) krete77 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) krete77 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by sharpieblet View Post
    someone obviously didn't read stickies
    obv.
    www.grazethesky.com

kpstatic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

<3

m=155lb=70.3kg
    g=9.8m/s^2
    h=2ft=0.61m

work=mgh

Our bodies are very inefficient though. A lot of muscles need to get flexed in order to perform that .1 kcal of work. If you assume an efficiency of 10%, then you'd burn 1kcal doing that pull-up.

Wohw <3

mavajo is a name known to all. (+5000) mavajo is a name known to all. (+5000) mavajo is a name known to all. (+5000) mavajo is a name known to all. (+5000) mavajo is a name known to all. (+5000) mavajo is a name known to all. (+5000) mavajo is a name known to all. (+5000) mavajo is a name known to all. (+5000) mavajo is a name known to all. (+5000) mavajo is a name known to all. (+5000) mavajo is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by kpstatic View Post
    Wohw <3
    Gravedigger.

That's funny though. I was actually going to say "about 1 cal" when I read the OP. I was just going to be guessing out of my ass though. 4 year old post, but still - rep for Tiffany.
    Started in April, 2013 at 212 lbs. Completely inactive at the time. Fat with zero muscle mass.
    Before/After Thread at the end of my first cut (April '13 - October '13 - 6 mos): http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157820563

boninja is not very well liked. (-100) boninja is not very well liked. (-100) boninja is not very well liked. (-100) boninja is not very well liked. (-100) boninja is not very well liked. (-100) boninja is not very well liked. (-100) boninja is not very well liked. (-100) boninja is not very well liked. (-100) boninja is not very well liked. (-100) boninja is not very well liked. (-100) boninja is not very well liked. (-100)
    They don't burn enough calories that is for sure.

clarkjk has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) clarkjk has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) clarkjk has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) clarkjk has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) clarkjk has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) clarkjk has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) clarkjk has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) clarkjk has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) clarkjk has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) clarkjk has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) clarkjk has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    When it comes to stomach area there are a few terms you need to know:
    1. Cortisol
    2. cyclic adenosine monophosphate (cAMP)

1. Cortisol is a natural hormone in our body that was used for our survival. In times of danger, this hormone would tell our body to take large amounts of stored energy (fat) and convert it into glucose in our blood stream. When we were in survival mode say running from a predator to survive, this hormone prepared our muscles by having sugar ready for them.
    Cortisol was triggered by large events such as a lion chasing you, however today it can be activated by something as little as a text alert, or deadlines at work. If you've heard about chronic stress, Cortisol is a result of it.
    The problem lies in the fact that say you've been super stressed all day, or super alert. This hormone has spent all day converting fat to blood sugar (why you have high blood sugar from stress) but at the end of the day you haven't essentially fought or flew. Your body starts the process of converting it back to stored energy (fat) but it settles down in the stomach area.

2. cyclic adenosine monophosphate (cAMP). this is a foreign term but really in simple terms it's a chemical sent to your brain to make you drowsy and tired. Imagine if you will a river that is flowing. the water is this chemical. hour by hour it sends these sleepy hormones, and there is a receptor to receive it. Caffeine has the same molecular structure as this chemical. when you consume it, it enters the receptors and tells essentially temporarily closes the doors so no more of these chemicals can enter. Now your body isn't getting sleepy.

This sends a hormone to the brain that something is wrong which the brain interprets it as a risk. it produces adrenaline and tells the body once again to convert fat to sugar. this is why when you drink a caffeinated drink, you fell perky, and some people feel jittery. because your body is pumping the blood full of sugar and adrenaline. But what happens when you come off that adrenaline high and the receptors start receiving this sleep chemical again? well all this time cAMP hasn't had anywhere to go so it's been chilling outside of the receptors waiting. once the doors open imagine a black Friday crowd rushing into 2 tiny doors. you guessed it. your brain gets bombarded with tiredness.

philprosia has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by tiffany_p View Post
    is this for science class or something?

M=155lb=70.3kg
    g=9.8m/s^2
    h=2ft=0.61m

work=mgh

work = 70.3kg*9.8m/s^2*0.61m = 420n*m = 100calories = 0.1 kcal

our bodies are very inefficient though. A lot of muscles need to get flexed in order to perform that .1 kcal of work. If you assume an efficiency of 10%, then you'd burn 1kcal doing that pull-up.

that was awesome.

RiskyFang is not very well liked. (-100) RiskyFang is not very well liked. (-100) RiskyFang is not very well liked. (-100) RiskyFang is not very well liked. (-100) RiskyFang is not very well liked. (-100) RiskyFang is not very well liked. (-100) RiskyFang is not very well liked. (-100) RiskyFang is not very well liked. (-100) RiskyFang is not very well liked. (-100) RiskyFang is not very well liked. (-100) RiskyFang is not very well liked. (-100)
    Great start but a little off. The previous post didn't explain that 420J was only for pulling up. It would take 840.6 Joules to do a strict pullup because Potential Energy = Kinetic Energy. If you don't control your eccentric on your pulls you literally miss out on half the work. Here is more so people understand for future reference:

Joules = Work = Mass × Ag × Distance
    1000 (Small) Calories = 1 (Large) Calorie
    1 Large Calorie is food calorie or 1kcal
    4181 Joules = 1 kcal (food calorie)

4181 Joules per kcal / 840.6 Joules per rep = 4.97 or 5 reps to burn 1 kcal foodwise (1000 calories in chemistry teaching).

So basically one strict pullup burns 1kcal/4.97reps = 0.2 calories. The previous calculation was 0.1kcal burned every rep but they didn't account for the work done when lowering yourself the other 2ft back down.

You could say you burn less calories when you become more efficient at the exercise but also say you burn more calories by not pulling with flawless technique and wasting energy with contraction of other unnecessary muscle groups.

So for simplicity sale we burn 0.2kcal (food calories) per pullup and it would take 100 pullups to burn 20 calories or 500 calories to burn 100 calories.

Time doesn't matter in energy expenditure. Whether you do one set of 100 reps, five by 10, ten by five or 100 sets of one rep at a time you complete the exact same work against gravity regardless. The person that does a set of 20 reps will not burn any more than the person that does 5 sets of 4 reps.

Put into perspective if you did a 100 pullups a day for 30 days challenge you would complete 3000 reps therefore burning 600 calories total. That means you would only lose 0.17 lbs if you did 100 pullups day for a month.

THE POINT? Calories burned through muscular intensive exercise are completely insignificant. You can burn more in a single bike ride for 1-2 hours than a whole month of lifting weights/bodyweight. There are other factors like EPOC and afterburn and increases metabolism but that does not change the fact that lifting is an extremely insignificant part of weight loss. It would only contribute 20-50 calories to your daily defecit.

If 50 calories makes or it breaks your maintenance, bulk or cut you definitely need to plan your diet better. Odds are you would just NEET away any extra calories if you don't eat a high enough surplus on a bulk. Don't get caught up in the caloric expenditure of lifting and just eat less or do more cardio if you want to lose weight.

Don't Rattle My Cage DrunkenMoron's Avatar
    DrunkenMoron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DrunkenMoron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DrunkenMoron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DrunkenMoron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DrunkenMoron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DrunkenMoron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DrunkenMoron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DrunkenMoron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DrunkenMoron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DrunkenMoron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DrunkenMoron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

m=155lb=70.3kg
    g=9.8m/s^2
    h=2ft=0.61m

work=mgh

Reps where reps are due!!
    - Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum -

** Egg Crew **

kusok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kusok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kusok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kusok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kusok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kusok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kusok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kusok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kusok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kusok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kusok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Cliffs?

Tiffany lost me at "m"

WTF is "m"?

p.s.
    i did 50 chins today, how many cals did I burn?

kusok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kusok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kusok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kusok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kusok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kusok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kusok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kusok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kusok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kusok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kusok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by clarkjk View Post
    When it comes to stomach area there are a few terms you need to know:
    1. Cortisol
    2. cyclic adenosine monophosphate (cAMP)

1. Cortisol is a natural hormone in our body that was used for our survival. In times of danger, this hormone would tell our body to take large amounts of stored energy (fat) and convert it into glucose in our blood stream. When we were in survival mode say running from a predator to survive, this hormone prepared our muscles by having sugar ready for them.
    Cortisol was triggered by large events such as a lion chasing you, however today it can be activated by something as little as a text alert, or deadlines at work. If you've heard about chronic stress, Cortisol is a result of it.
    The problem lies in the fact that say you've been super stressed all day, or super alert. This hormone has spent all day converting fat to blood sugar (why you have high blood sugar from stress) but at the end of the day you haven't essentially fought or flew. Your body starts the process of converting it back to stored energy (fat) but it settles down in the stomach area.

2. cyclic adenosine monophosphate (cAMP). this is a foreign term but really in simple terms it's a chemical sent to your brain to make you drowsy and tired. Imagine if you will a river that is flowing. the water is this chemical. hour by hour it sends these sleepy hormones, and there is a receptor to receive it. Caffeine has the same molecular structure as this chemical. when you consume it, it enters the receptors and tells essentially temporarily closes the doors so no more of these chemicals can enter. Now your body isn't getting sleepy.

This sends a hormone to the brain that something is wrong which the brain interprets it as a risk. it produces adrenaline and tells the body once again to convert fat to sugar. this is why when you drink a caffeinated drink, you fell perky, and some people feel jittery. because your body is pumping the blood full of sugar and adrenaline. But what happens when you come off that adrenaline high and the receptors start receiving this sleep chemical again? well all this time cAMP hasn't had anywhere to go so it's been chilling outside of the receptors waiting. once the doors open imagine a black Friday crowd rushing into 2 tiny doors. you guessed it. your brain gets bombarded with tiredness.

So, like, how to make that ^^^ NOT happen?

d2mini is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) d2mini is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) d2mini is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) d2mini is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) d2mini is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) d2mini is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) d2mini is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) d2mini is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) d2mini is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) d2mini is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) d2mini is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by RiskyFang View Post
    Great start but a little off. The previous post didn't explain that 420J was only for pulling up. It would take 840.6 Joules to do a strict pullup because Potential Energy = Kinetic Energy. If you don't control your eccentric on your pulls you literally miss out on half the work. Here is more so people understand for future reference:

Joules = Work = Mass × Ag × Distance
    1000 (Small) Calories = 1 (Large) Calorie
    1 Large Calorie is food calorie or 1kcal
    4181 Joules = 1 kcal (food calorie)

4181 Joules per kcal / 840.6 Joules per rep = 4.97 or 5 reps to burn 1 kcal foodwise (1000 calories in chemistry teaching).

So basically one strict pullup burns 1kcal/4.97reps = 0.2 calories. The previous calculation was 0.1kcal burned every rep but they didn't account for the work done when lowering yourself the other 2ft back down.

You could say you burn less calories when you become more efficient at the exercise but also say you burn more calories by not pulling with flawless technique and wasting energy with contraction of other unnecessary muscle groups.

So for simplicity sale we burn 0.2kcal (food calories) per pullup and it would take 100 pullups to burn 20 calories or 500 calories to burn 100 calories.

Time doesn't matter in energy expenditure. Whether you do one set of 100 reps, five by 10, ten by five or 100 sets of one rep at a time you complete the exact same work against gravity regardless. The person that does a set of 20 reps will not burn any more than the person that does 5 sets of 4 reps.

Put into perspective if you did a 100 pullups a day for 30 days challenge you would complete 3000 reps therefore burning 600 calories total. That means you would only lose 0.17 lbs if you did 100 pullups day for a month.

THE POINT? Calories burned through muscular intensive exercise are completely insignificant. You can burn more in a single bike ride for 1-2 hours than a whole month of lifting weights/bodyweight. There are other factors like EPOC and afterburn and increases metabolism but that does not change the fact that lifting is an extremely insignificant part of weight loss. It would only contribute 20-50 calories to your daily defecit.

If 50 calories makes or it breaks your maintenance, bulk or cut you definitely need to plan your diet better. Odds are you would just NEET away any extra calories if you don't eat a high enough surplus on a bulk. Don't get caught up in the caloric expenditure of lifting and just eat less or do more cardio if you want to lose weight.
    Normally I'd be all WTF for bringing back an old thread.
    But that was some good info. Rep'd.
    -dennis
    my "GYM IN A SHED" build thread
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=175140521