ManiacAttack has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Question Is 2 Hours to long of a workout?

everywhere i read stuff like "45-60 minutes is when you lose muscle building hormones or testosterone levels 12 hours later" then i heard this big body builder say "just eat a big meal before you go and you can do 2 hours no prob."?
    i'm 5'6,weigh 155 with ectomorph type of body
    i consume 2300-3000 calories (3000calories is on my workout day),130-140 grams of protein,same carbs and more as protein,with 10% fat i eat before bedtime.
    workout consists of 2-3 sets - 8 reps (extra set for pecs & triceps), every monday and thursday.
    i do upper body and trunk the same day which is like about 5 - 10 minutes a workout & i got eleven workouts, all in all im getting about 110 minutes to 2 hours a workout thats not including the stretching before and after a workout about 7-8 minutes each.

here is my workouts:
    1:dumbell bicep flex
    2:dumbell tricep extension
    3:dumbell side delt abduction
    4:dumbell front delt flex
    5:dumbell scapular elevation
    6:cable seated lat row
    7:standing cable chest adduction
    8:cable lat pull down
    9:cable shoulder internal totation
    10:machine scapular depression
    11:barbell chestpress

i plan on doing 3 weeks of upper/back and 1 week of legs but the legs i'll do 4 sets of 8 reps

WhiteAfricanSpaceChrist peteskeys's Avatar
    peteskeys will become famous soon enough. (+50) peteskeys will become famous soon enough. (+50) peteskeys will become famous soon enough. (+50) peteskeys will become famous soon enough. (+50) peteskeys will become famous soon enough. (+50) peteskeys will become famous soon enough. (+50) peteskeys will become famous soon enough. (+50) peteskeys will become famous soon enough. (+50) peteskeys will become famous soon enough. (+50) peteskeys will become famous soon enough. (+50) peteskeys will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by ManiacAttack View Post
    everywhere i read stuff like "45-60 minutes is when you lose muscle building hormones or testosterone levels 12 hours later" then i heard this big body builder say "just eat a big meal before you go and you can do 2 hours no prob."?
    i consume 2300-3000 calories (3000calories is on my workout day),130-140 grams of protein,same carbs and more as protein,with 10% fat i eat before bedtime.
    workout consists of 2-3 sets - 8 reps (extra set for pecs & triceps), every monday and thursday.
    i do upper body and trunk the same day which is like about 5 - 10 minutes a workout & i got eleven workouts, all in all im getting about 110 minutes to 2 hours a workout thats not including the stretching before and after a workout about 7-8 minutes each.

here is my workouts:

i plan on doing 3 weeks of upper/back and 1 week of legs but the legs i'll do 4 sets of 8 reps
    You are not a big body builder. You are not on steroids. You do not have decades of training experience. You cannot work out for 2 hours.

abzz has a spectacular aura about. (+250) abzz has a spectacular aura about. (+250) abzz has a spectacular aura about. (+250) abzz has a spectacular aura about. (+250) abzz has a spectacular aura about. (+250) abzz has a spectacular aura about. (+250) abzz has a spectacular aura about. (+250) abzz has a spectacular aura about. (+250) abzz has a spectacular aura about. (+250) abzz has a spectacular aura about. (+250) abzz has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    what could u possibly be doing that long in the gym.
    train shorter with more intensity.
    "bustin my ass for the perfect body"

For every minute you remain angry, you give up sixty seconds of peace of mind.
    - Ralph Waldo Emerson

?You cannot solve a problem from the same consciousness that created it. You must learn to see the world anew.?

i rapes back

blackthursday is on a distinguished road. (+10) blackthursday is on a distinguished road. (+10) blackthursday is on a distinguished road. (+10) blackthursday is on a distinguished road. (+10) blackthursday is on a distinguished road. (+10) blackthursday is on a distinguished road. (+10) blackthursday is on a distinguished road. (+10) blackthursday is on a distinguished road. (+10) blackthursday is on a distinguished road. (+10) blackthursday is on a distinguished road. (+10) blackthursday is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    worst routine ever

hmm...

Originally Posted by blackthursday View Post
    worst routine ever
    Please explain.

Zixxer10R is on a distinguished road. (+10) Zixxer10R is on a distinguished road. (+10) Zixxer10R is on a distinguished road. (+10) Zixxer10R is on a distinguished road. (+10) Zixxer10R is on a distinguished road. (+10) Zixxer10R is on a distinguished road. (+10) Zixxer10R is on a distinguished road. (+10) Zixxer10R is on a distinguished road. (+10) Zixxer10R is on a distinguished road. (+10) Zixxer10R is on a distinguished road. (+10) Zixxer10R is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by peteskeys View Post
    You are not a big body builder. You are not on steroids. You do not have decades of training experience. You cannot work out for 2 hours.
    this + if you take shorter breaks between sets and enough weight you shouldn't have enough energy to last more that about an hour

say wat?

Originally Posted by abzz View Post
    what could u possibly be doing that long in the gym.
    train shorter with more intensity.
    i train any shorter im gonna be doing 1 set and i thought thats a no-no! when strength training?

peteskeys will become famous soon enough. (+50) peteskeys will become famous soon enough. (+50) peteskeys will become famous soon enough. (+50) peteskeys will become famous soon enough. (+50) peteskeys will become famous soon enough. (+50) peteskeys will become famous soon enough. (+50) peteskeys will become famous soon enough. (+50) peteskeys will become famous soon enough. (+50) peteskeys will become famous soon enough. (+50) peteskeys will become famous soon enough. (+50) peteskeys will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    i train any shorter im gonna be doing 1 set and i thought thats a no-no! when strength training?
    Hmm, perhaps this is evidence that.......drumroll....

YOUR PROGRAM IS FLAWED.

Read the stickies posted in this forum. They have a lot of info you should find quite helpful and many options to choose from.

The only way is to try... surkaz's Avatar
    surkaz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

here is my workouts:

How long do you rest between sets.. I do the same.. sometimes within 45 minutes I'm tired.. and then there are some workouts (less intensity..more reps and sets.. more like cardio) that I go on for 1 hour and 35 mins..

1- 4 minutes & sometimes i do alittle stretch between sets targeting that muscle

Originally Posted by peteskeys View Post
    Hmm, perhaps this is evidence that.......drumroll....

YOUR PROGRAM IS FLAWED.

Read the stickies posted in this forum. They have a lot of info you should find quite helpful and many options to choose from.
    Read the stickies?
    dude, thats why i posted this hoping YOU or anybody can offer info not direct me to someone else, if you dont know jack why post

1- 4 minutes & sometimes i do alittle stretch between sets targeting that muscle
    I'm trying to see how you last 2 hours... 11 exercises.. 2.5 sets... 2.5 minutes rest between each set.. each set takes about 15 seconds (probably shorter than that) ..that amounts to 1 hour and 15 minutes.. .. not including the stretching 7-8 minutes between each exercise.

Ok, Maybe I didn't contribute anything by doing the above math. But, do you really need 7-8 minutes of stretching before and after every exercise?.. For some big exercises (like the bench) it might be fine, but for the others, a little stretching time may be ok. Also, what about Warm up sets (a set or two with really low weights that warmup and stretch ur muscle out for that exercise). I agree with Zixxer10R, shorter rests, enough weight.

But make sure you don't just jump straight onto the bench 1st thing.. The key is to find a good balance of how much stretching/warmup is necessary for you, and do that. And eliminate unnecessary excess..

Also, are 11 exercises a lot?.. maybe 2/3 less... I feel they may be too many... Is it becoming more of a cardio/endurance/circuit workout if you don't do enough weights for each set?

Hopefully a combination of some of the things in the posts above helps you find your balance.

Originally Posted by surkaz View Post
    I'm trying to see how you last 2 hours... 11 exercises.. 2.5 sets... 2.5 minutes rest between each set.. each set takes about 15 seconds (probably shorter than that) ..that amounts to 1 hour and 15 minutes.. .. not including the stretching 7-8 minutes between each exercise.

Ok, Maybe I didn't contribute anything by doing the above math. But, do you really need 7-8 minutes of stretching before and after every exercise?.. For some big exercises (like the bench) it might be fine, but for the others, a little stretching time may be ok. Also, what about Warm up sets (a set or two with really low weights that warmup and stretch ur muscle out for that exercise). I agree with Zixxer10R, shorter rests, enough weight.

But make sure you don't just jump straight onto the bench 1st thing.. The key is to find a good balance of how much stretching/warmup is necessary for you, and do that. And eliminate unnecessary excess..

Also, are 11 exercises a lot?.. maybe 2/3 less... I feel they may be too many... Is it becoming more of a cardio/endurance/circuit workout if you don't do enough weights for each set?

Hopefully a combination of some of the things in the posts above helps you find your balance.
    I read that stretching is important otherwise i might tear a muscle or something like that & i also heard it helps the muscle heal thus making more progress towards making that muscle ( i only do the 7-8 min full-body stretching before and after the workout, not the little 1 stretch for that one muscle which could take 3-15 seconds depending on the muscle)

do you think 11 workouts with 2 sets 8 reps could be or should be 75 minutes long or less?

it doesnt feel like a marathon but then again im ussually kinda energetic so i probly cant tell.
    Last edited by ManiacAttack; 07-04-2009 at 09:53 PM. Reason: i miss-read something he said

Last edited by peteskeys; 07-04-2009 at 10:26 PM.

Grizadams07 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Grizadams07 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Grizadams07 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    In no way am I a professional.. but two hours is a while.. I start getting tired after like 45 minutes.. I can hit chest/shoulders and triceps decently in an hour.. and next day I can hit legs/back and bi's in an hour. Sometimes over sometimes under, depending on how packed it is.

Man I love lifting but 2 hours.. holy crap..

Wolfman09 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Wolfman09 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Wolfman09 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Wolfman09 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Wolfman09 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

here is my workouts:

your exercices dont even make sense, what the f*ck is a "scapular abduction"! WTF man, look up the lean mass e-book by Marc Lobliner, it is completely free and you can download it as pdf file, just google it and it will come up. it has good routines and nutrition info in there for natural bodybuilders.

I read that stretching is important otherwise i might tear a muscle or something like that & i also heard it helps the muscle heal thus making more progress towards making that muscle ( i only do the 7-8 min full-body stretching before and after the workout, not the little 1 stretch for that one muscle which could take 3-15 seconds depending on the muscle)

do you think 11 workouts with 2 sets 8 reps could be or should be 75 minutes long or less?

it doesnt feel like a marathon but then again im ussually kinda energetic so i probly cant tell.
    The main reason you may not feel tired and can go on for a long time is that maybe you should do more weight/sets.. Like 3 sets of 10 reps. and the set with the most weight would be the one you are almost not sure that you can 10 reps.. The one where you break a sweat and feel like dying by the 7th or 8th rep. Maybe one set after that with a lower weight to relax your muscles again.

The breaks you take might be quite long too. Depending on the exercise, sometimes even 2 minutes seems like a while.

11 exercises should actually take more than 75 minutes.. maybe 1 hr 40 mins, I think. I'm saying look at the intensity/weights/reps/sets of your exercises. .If you adjust those, you won't have to look a the time.

Unofficial Site Chaplain merkong's Avatar
    merkong is on a distinguished road. (+10) merkong is on a distinguished road. (+10) merkong is on a distinguished road. (+10) merkong is on a distinguished road. (+10) merkong is on a distinguished road. (+10) merkong is on a distinguished road. (+10) merkong is on a distinguished road. (+10) merkong is on a distinguished road. (+10) merkong is on a distinguished road. (+10) merkong is on a distinguished road. (+10) merkong is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Read the stickies?
    dude, thats why i posted this hoping YOU or anybody can offer info not direct me to someone else, if you dont know jack why post
    Yeah, your program is trash and you sound like you're a moron... Go and find a short full body with a bunch of compounds and lift it 3x/week. Oh, and put a picture up your scrawny a$$ and take that one of your boyfriend down. This is a lifting site not myspace...
    1/3/09 bench press 1rm 300#
    1/3/10 bench press 1rm 315#

I don't lift like ^^that^^ anymore...

Just lifting because I love it and trying to lead by example with my 3 elite athlete kids; Amanda on the Varsity Dance Team, Zack playing lacrosse on an elite level and starring on our 8th grade football team and fast becoming a golf prodigy and Kitty excelling at the grade school level on the track, soccer field and basketball court.

fashizzo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Exclamation

Read the stickies?
    Dumbass alert.