jjm41031 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Need advice on equipment for lower back

Hi

I am trying to figure out what to buy to help with developing lower back and buttocks. I am not a bodybuilder and dont really train. And, I do a lot of sitting for computer work, so I tend to have lower back problems. Its difficult for me to get an exercise routine going, so I am guessing I could find a simple machine that would keep my lower body fit. Its easy for me to do pushups and basic upper body exercises. But the lower body tends to get neglected causing fatigue and spine problems. Throw in a bad case of flat feet!

I have my eyes on machines like vertical leg press, stair climbers, and elipticals. I have no interest in squatting because of past knee problems. I hear crackling if I stress the knees much.

Any suggestions??

longshotsws is on a distinguished road. (+10) longshotsws is on a distinguished road. (+10) longshotsws is on a distinguished road. (+10) longshotsws is on a distinguished road. (+10) longshotsws is on a distinguished road. (+10) longshotsws is on a distinguished road. (+10) longshotsws is on a distinguished road. (+10) longshotsws is on a distinguished road. (+10) longshotsws is on a distinguished road. (+10) longshotsws is on a distinguished road. (+10) longshotsws is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I would suggest deadlifts or sumo (wide stance) deadlifts, but that might not work with your knee problems.

A roman chair is good for hyper extensions. As these become easier, you can add weight by holding a plate.

A GHR (glute-ham raise) is good for working glutes and hams (obvious from name ) but you can also do hyper extensions on them as well as ab work. They can be a bit pricey, but they're pretty versatile.
    Goals:

425 lb squat - done 02/16/10
    500 lb deadlift - done 03/13/10
    315 lb bench - still working on it!

Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by jjm41031 View Post
    Hi

I am trying to figure out what to buy to help with developing lower back and buttocks. I am not a bodybuilder and dont really train. And, I do a lot of sitting for computer work, so I tend to have lower back problems. Its difficult for me to get an exercise routine going, so I am guessing I could find a simple machine that would keep my lower body fit. Its easy for me to do pushups and basic upper body exercises. But the lower body tends to get neglected causing fatigue and spine problems. Throw in a bad case of flat feet!

I have my eyes on machines like vertical leg press, stair climbers, and elipticals. I have no interest in squatting because of past knee problems. I hear crackling if I stress the knees much.

Any suggestions??

My lower back has always been underworked and I've felt that is part of the reason I am prone to lower back pain. I have found in the last year and a half I've had less pain and my back is stronger from doing a combination of deadlifts, hyperextensions (on a hyper bench), and good mornings. All of these put a lot of focus on the area you're talking about, but you have to do them carefully with low weights. These aren't exercises you want to set records with because an injury in this area is long healing and pretty much shuts you down not only in the gym, but in other aspects of your life as well.

As far as squatting, do you actually have an injury that will be worsened by this movement? If you don't, you might see a doctor (maybe one with a sports specialty so they'll understand what you're talking about) and get those knees looked at. I'd also read "Starting Strength" because it discusses squatting and your knees. The gist being a lot of times, knees are hurt by squatting because you don't go down far enough and stress is on the knees throughout the entire exercise. If you do a full squat, the knees are not being stressed at the bottom point, where you're driving up. This is the extent of my knowledge on this , so look into the book!

I had torn cartilage in my left knee in 2002 and had a surgery to remove it. Both knees still click, pop, and hurt. One of the doctors that saw me at the time suggested I not squat or do extentions/curls anymore. He said I should just ride a bike. I'm not squatting stellar amounts right now, but I am over 200 lbs and my knees do not hurt. I can actually feel them getting stronger.

I've had some similar experiences with a pair of painful shoulders. I am a huge proponent of using them so you don't lose them. I'm not a doc or a therapist, just my opinion. I'd think the only reason you couldn't do squats though is if you have a real injury.....if not, learn to like squats!
    ▪█─────█▪ Equipment Crew #4 ▪█─────█▪

Ivanko Crew #9
    York Barbell Crew #13

Thanks for the good advice. I confess that it has been a long time since I did squats. I remember stopping because of the pressure felt on the knees. But then again, it could have been that I did them wrong!! But, the backside sure felt good. That's what I am looking for.

Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Thanks for the good advice. I confess that it has been a long time since I did squats. I remember stopping because of the pressure felt on the knees. But then again, it could have been that I did them wrong!! But, the backside sure felt good. That's what I am looking for.

If you decide to try the squats, remember nobody cares what you lift, especially if you're doing it at home. Put 80 or 90 lbs on the bar and learn how to do really good form with lower weights. You'll do the exercise correctly, you'll get comfortable with the exercise, and you'll slowly build up your strength. I always used to do quarter squats or whatever and I almost gave them up altogether last year. I read a lot and decided they were too good an exercise to just give up and I learned how to get really low (ATG). I'm not doing records now, but I'm building strength and I never would've thought I'd get as low as I do with the weight that I do.

Ivanko Crew #9
    York Barbell Crew #13

Essexlad is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Essexlad is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Essexlad is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Essexlad is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Essexlad is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Essexlad is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Essexlad is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Essexlad is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Essexlad is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Essexlad is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Essexlad is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by Keetman View Post
    If you decide to try the squats, remember nobody cares what you lift, especially if you're doing it at home. Put 80 or 90 lbs on the bar and learn how to do really good form with lower weights. You'll do the exercise correctly, you'll get comfortable with the exercise, and you'll slowly build up your strength. I always used to do quarter squats or whatever and I almost gave them up altogether last year. I read a lot and decided they were too good an exercise to just give up and I learned how to get really low (ATG). I'm not doing records now, but I'm building strength and I never would've thought I'd get as low as I do with the weight that I do.
    Good advice on the squats; except I wouldn't say 80 or 90lbs. Learn the movement with just the bar. Get it right. Then add weight, slowly.

If you've been fairly inactive for long periods, chance are you're flexibility is going to be very poor. And deep squats are great, but if you're not working on your hip flexibility and muscle tightness, you'll hurt yourself trying to go too low too soon. May take a few weeks to a many months, if possible at all, to get the requisite flexibility for deep squats. Takes a lot of patience.
    Stick to as low as you can go, whilst maintaining your back position, and work it lower and lower very gradually as your flexibility increases.
    []---[] Equipment Crew Member No. 22

Originally Posted by Essexlad View Post
    Good advice on the squats; except I wouldn't say 80 or 90lbs. Learn the movement with just the bar. Get it right. Then add weight, slowly.

If you've been fairly inactive for long periods, chance are you're flexibility is going to be very poor. And deep squats are great, but if you're not working on your hip flexibility and muscle tightness, you'll hurt yourself trying to go too low too soon. May take a few weeks to a many months, if possible at all, to get the requisite flexibility for deep squats. Takes a lot of patience.
    Stick to as low as you can go, whilst maintaining your back position, and work it lower and lower very gradually as your flexibility increases.

You're right Essex. I try to not pass my knowledge level when giving advice! I was simply using an arbitrary number to make the point to go low on the weight to concentrate on form and comfort level. Someone trying to go low should go to the level of weight that they can comfortably get as low as possible with.

Ivanko Crew #9
    York Barbell Crew #13

leonard1 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) leonard1 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) leonard1 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) leonard1 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) leonard1 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) leonard1 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) leonard1 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) leonard1 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) leonard1 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) leonard1 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) leonard1 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    One caveat - you should get comfortable - either by trying the exercises or consulting doctor - to see if any of my suggestions below will aggravate your knee condition. Sometimes, trial and error is the way to go. Try some of the suggestions and see if they work to work around the particular knee pain you are having.

A few suggestions:

1. As others have said, the deadlifts, squats, and good mornings with barbell and rack are good developers.

2. Last couple routines, I have added lunges and bulgarian split squats to the rotation using dumbbells. These have absolutely killed my quads, but I also noticed they really worked the glutes, which you say is one of your targets.

3. 45 degree back raise. I have been doing these weighted with both free weights and with bands. I have found extra band resistance to be working the lower back, glutes, and hamstrings really well. You can get a very good contraction of the whole posterior chain at the top of the movement. Look for a 45 degree back raise that allows you to adjust how much your leg is bent when doing them. This allows you to fine tune targeting lower back vs hamstrings and glutes. Works very well.

4. Glute Ham Raise. These are very good for the areas you are targeting. However, approach this exercise slowly, as it is extremely challenging. As mentioned above, these benches are expensive, but they get the job done.

5. Steps ups with dumbbells and a box of some sort. haven't tried these yet (waiting for my box squat) but step ups holding dumbbells are supposed to target glutes well.

Will just mention in passing the Reverse Hyper extension machine by louie simmons, since you are looking for low back and glute machines. It is supposed to be one of the best, but is very expensive. So, unless you are setting up a really hardcore workout space or have a real problem with the lower back to rehab, it is hard to justify the price for one of those.

racertomtom is on a distinguished road. (+10) racertomtom is on a distinguished road. (+10) racertomtom is on a distinguished road. (+10) racertomtom is on a distinguished road. (+10) racertomtom is on a distinguished road. (+10) racertomtom is on a distinguished road. (+10) racertomtom is on a distinguished road. (+10) racertomtom is on a distinguished road. (+10) racertomtom is on a distinguished road. (+10) racertomtom is on a distinguished road. (+10) racertomtom is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rq8CWv8UPAI

A lot of stuff for lower back.

Poncho428 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Poncho428 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Poncho428 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Poncho428 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Poncho428 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Poncho428 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Poncho428 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Poncho428 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Poncho428 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Poncho428 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Poncho428 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I've dealt w/ a bad back for 20+ years and have been a computer tech/manager for the last 10. I suggest starting out without weights. Look into doing basic back exercises before getting into squating and deadlifting.

Here are some good exercises to get your back stronger and don't require any weights or equipment.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NFth3Fzc8io

Red face

I think you've talked me into it. I guess I was thinking about an easy fix. Also, thanks for those video links. Those back exercises are just what I need.

Pudlem will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pudlem will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pudlem will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pudlem will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pudlem will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pudlem will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pudlem will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pudlem will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pudlem will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pudlem will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pudlem will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    What about a kettlebell?

Its relatively cheap, relatively portable, develops the posterior chain and core and can be used for other exercises if you are so inclined.

Also have you tried buying a swiss ball to use as a seat at your desk? I work in IT also and I know a number of folks who have been advised by the physio to try this to strengthen their lower back and correct posture.
    Last edited by Pudlem; 07-05-2009 at 12:27 AM.

Sweat Blood, Bleed Iron! TheStreetKing's Avatar
    TheStreetKing is just really nice. (+1000) TheStreetKing is just really nice. (+1000) TheStreetKing is just really nice. (+1000) TheStreetKing is just really nice. (+1000) TheStreetKing is just really nice. (+1000) TheStreetKing is just really nice. (+1000) TheStreetKing is just really nice. (+1000) TheStreetKing is just really nice. (+1000) TheStreetKing is just really nice. (+1000) TheStreetKing is just really nice. (+1000) TheStreetKing is just really nice. (+1000)
    Hi

Any suggestions??
    Olympic Bar and Weights are all you'll ever need! Deadlifts/Stiff Legged Deadlifts/Romanian Deadlifts/Goodmornings and so much more.
    My Gym is my Church, My Sweat is my Prayers, My Strength is my Salvation, I Am Animal.

Loyalty above all else, Except Honor!

Emoore is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Emoore is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Emoore is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Emoore is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Emoore is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Emoore is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Emoore is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Emoore is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Emoore is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Emoore is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Emoore is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Tight hip flexors are often the cause of low back pain in office workers as well as causing us to lean too far forward when we squat, thus causing knee and low back pain. I'd strongly suggest buying a foam roller and doing some self-myofacial release (easier than it sounds if you google it) the your entire front of your body. Also stretch your quads and hip flexors.

People who sit for 8 or 10 hours a day are often really tight in the front of the body which throws your whole body out of whack.

foxymumma has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Wink

Hi

Any suggestions??

You could try using an Fitness Ball instead of a chair, and a wobble cushion for leg exercising whilst sitting. I also have a office job where as I am sitting so I feel your pain. I bought mine on-line at physiosupplies.com
    Good Luck

Andrew_WOT is just really nice. (+1000) Andrew_WOT is just really nice. (+1000) Andrew_WOT is just really nice. (+1000) Andrew_WOT is just really nice. (+1000) Andrew_WOT is just really nice. (+1000) Andrew_WOT is just really nice. (+1000) Andrew_WOT is just really nice. (+1000) Andrew_WOT is just really nice. (+1000) Andrew_WOT is just really nice. (+1000) Andrew_WOT is just really nice. (+1000) Andrew_WOT is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by Keetman View Post
    I'd also read "Starting Strength" because it discusses squatting and your knees. The gist being a lot of times, knees are hurt by squatting because you don't go down far enough and stress is on the knees throughout the entire exercise. If you do a full squat, the knees are not being stressed at the bottom point, where you're driving up. This is the extent of my knowledge on this , so look into the book!
    This book is a must for learning the proper and safe form, while you are there grab complimentary DVD as well.
    http://www.amazon.com/Starting-Stren...8806137&sr=8-1
    http://www.amazon.com/Starting-Stren...8806137&sr=8-2
    For a starter go to
    http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wi..._Strength_Wiki
    Knee pain is a pretty good indication of a bad form.

STR8OUT is a name known to all. (+5000) STR8OUT is a name known to all. (+5000) STR8OUT is a name known to all. (+5000) STR8OUT is a name known to all. (+5000) STR8OUT is a name known to all. (+5000) STR8OUT is a name known to all. (+5000) STR8OUT is a name known to all. (+5000) STR8OUT is a name known to all. (+5000) STR8OUT is a name known to all. (+5000) STR8OUT is a name known to all. (+5000) STR8OUT is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I've got terrible knee's but deadlifts dont bother mine at all. After a deadlift workout my lower back is super pumped and tight. I feel this would be best for you. Just make sure you STRETCH before every workout!
    []---[] Ivanko Barbell Crew #58 []---[]

rbk35 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rbk35 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rbk35 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rbk35 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rbk35 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rbk35 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rbk35 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)