skeleton_keys has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Ab Recovery/Exhaustion?

I was wondering, is it possible to work out your abs too often? I know they're muscle like any other parts you exercise, and will grow during recuperation. But I do split routines 6 days a week, rest on the 7th, and do weighted crunches on a Powertec ab bench all 6 days. At the moment I'm doing about 6 sets of 11 reps, with 60 lbs. on the bench, in between sets of other exercises.

Should I maybe do crunches for two days, rest one, two days, rest two? Do I need more recovery time?

Thanks!
    Screw the normal people. I'm going to put on a mask and hit people until the world's a better place.

Staxed1989 is just really nice. (+1000) Staxed1989 is just really nice. (+1000) Staxed1989 is just really nice. (+1000) Staxed1989 is just really nice. (+1000) Staxed1989 is just really nice. (+1000) Staxed1989 is just really nice. (+1000) Staxed1989 is just really nice. (+1000) Staxed1989 is just really nice. (+1000) Staxed1989 is just really nice. (+1000) Staxed1989 is just really nice. (+1000) Staxed1989 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by skeleton_keys View Post
    I was wondering, is it possible to work out your abs too often? I know they're muscle like any other parts you exercise, and will grow during recuperation. But I do split routines 6 days a week, rest on the 7th, and do weighted crunches on a Powertec ab bench all 6 days. At the moment I'm doing about 6 sets of 11 reps, with 60 lbs. on the bench, in between sets of other exercises.

Should I maybe do crunches for two days, rest one, two days, rest two? Do I need more recovery time?

Thanks!
    Yes, of course it is - they are muscle just like any other. If you train them hard everyday, then yes they will be overtrained in all liklihood. I would do abs a maximum of twice a week...hard. I think smaller muscles like forearms and calves though can be worked up to 3 times a week depending on the individual, as those muscles can take a real beating.

JZ1986 will become famous soon enough. (+50) JZ1986 will become famous soon enough. (+50) JZ1986 will become famous soon enough. (+50) JZ1986 will become famous soon enough. (+50) JZ1986 will become famous soon enough. (+50) JZ1986 will become famous soon enough. (+50) JZ1986 will become famous soon enough. (+50) JZ1986 will become famous soon enough. (+50) JZ1986 will become famous soon enough. (+50) JZ1986 will become famous soon enough. (+50) JZ1986 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Are you training your abs just to look good or to be strong?

If you want them just to look good, then 1 day a week plus low body fat is fine.

If you want strong abs then what you are doing is fine. I might mix it up a little though and cut out a few sets, do a different ab exercise each day. If you start to feel like you arent progressing or your abs are feeling fatigued just back off a little.

I try to do some weighted ab/core work everyday. I use a weight that I can get 5-8reps with good form for about 3 sets or so. If you can do more than 8reps just add weight.

I choose 3 movements that will target abs, obliques and lowerback.

skeleton_keys has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    My only real drawback is a permanent injury, my pelvic bone's rotated...I have to use the elevated Powertec bench because crunches/situps on the floor aggravate the injury. I'm trying to get a power tower so I can do knee raises. I used to do lying-down sideways leg lifts to tone my love handles, but that aggravated my back too.

I guess I'll cut back to only doing them maybe 3 times a week, every other day, and I'll increase the weight. I use that 3x8-rep-max-with-good-form principle for my other body parts, but it only occurred to me two days ago that I should do it for my abs, too. I'm trying to work towards solid washboard abs, really cut, but I'm not sure how to go about it beyond eating right and doing the couple of exercises I can do.

Thanks guys!
    Screw the normal people. I'm going to put on a mask and hit people until the world's a better place.