TheGazelle has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Shin splints - darn this hurts - newbie here

I just started weight training - 5'4 at 106 pounds - seriously just started three days ago.

I went to my first session and the weight trainer immediately makes me run three laps, the first as quickly as I could. Then I went from weights to running a lap (in door - 12 laps = 1 mile). The next day I had shin splints or the start of them. They still hurt. Yesterday I went to a womans shoe place where they looked at how I run and recommended the stability brooks shoe. I tried on some other one that had more cushion but was on the fence between the two shoes (forgot the name of the other one). I was in a motion control shoe New Balance prior and the people at this running shoe place stated that is probably one of the reasons why I got shin splints. So I have these shoes and they don't feel very cushy compared to the others. Due to the lack of the cushy feel, I wonder if it will completely help me. I am pretty thin so I was thinking a stability shoe with more cushion instead of the Brooks.

Does the cushion really matter. If it does, would it be better to trade it in for another shoe or buy some of those orthodontics they sell?

Any thoughts for this newbie.

Ramon66 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ramon66 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ramon66 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ramon66 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ramon66 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ramon66 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ramon66 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ramon66 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ramon66 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ramon66 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ramon66 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    just because the shoe feels like it has more cushion, does not mean it does.
    the firmer shoe might actualy dispurse more energy than the softer one.
    I like the MIZUNOS personaly.
    you can also try the inserts. it is strange that it happened after 1 session though.

good luck with the shoes. I have been dealing with nagging issues from running for years.
    but I am 42 so my body just needs more rest.
    Its not the size of the dog in the fight,
    it's the size of the fight in the dog.

Originally Posted by Ramon66 View Post
    just because the shoe feels like it has more cushion, does not mean it does.
    the firmer shoe might actualy dispurse more energy than the softer one.
    I like the MIZUNOS personaly.
    you can also try the inserts. it is strange that it happened after 1 session though.

good luck with the shoes. I have been dealing with nagging issues from running for years.
    but I am 42 so my body just needs more rest.
    Those other shoes, Mizunos, were the other ones I did like. I may take these ones back and get those. It is very strange that I would get shin splints so quickly. I must have been really out of shape LOL. I was on bedrest with my almost two year old for six months. I lost so much muscle during that time. Since then I have been running after my two year old but haven't done much else. I think the weight trainer made me do too much at first.

Just bought some of those shoes - took back the other ones. I LOVE them. They were only $140 - yeah only LOL

Cowart69 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Cowart69 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Cowart69 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Cowart69 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Cowart69 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Cowart69 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Cowart69 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Cowart69 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Cowart69 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Cowart69 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Cowart69 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    3 things I would recommend.

- They make a particular type of brace for shin splints.....it will help with the pain

- Really take a look at the shoes you are wearing......you might want to look into shoe inserts specific from a foot store this does wonders

- Look into the exercises that stretch those areas......this this is a long term solution that should be done all the time

- ice, rest, pain reliever in the mean time.

actually that is 4 things.

TheHitStick is just really nice. (+1000) TheHitStick is just really nice. (+1000) TheHitStick is just really nice. (+1000) TheHitStick is just really nice. (+1000) TheHitStick is just really nice. (+1000) TheHitStick is just really nice. (+1000) TheHitStick is just really nice. (+1000) TheHitStick is just really nice. (+1000) TheHitStick is just really nice. (+1000) TheHitStick is just really nice. (+1000) TheHitStick is just really nice. (+1000)
    running on concrete and hard surfaces give you shin splints, happened to me when we had to run around my school for 4 laps on the sidewalk for football. try to run on the grass or something with better cushioning than concrete

why do you think tracks are making them with the cushion on them now? prevents injuries
    "Giving your best is more important than being the best."

I train as an athlete, not a bodybuilder.

REPS for SUBS.

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=125690683

Livershot has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Having better shoes and running on better surfaces helps shin splints for most people, but for me the only thing that helped me was when I changed my stride. I had moderate shin splints during high school when I was running a lot and was instructed to shorten my stride. After consciously changing the way I ran, specifically taking shorter steps with my feet more parallel to the ground, my shin splints went away for good. You might want to consider this as well.

titdoctor has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) titdoctor has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) titdoctor has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) titdoctor has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) titdoctor has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) titdoctor has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) titdoctor has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) titdoctor has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) titdoctor has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) titdoctor has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) titdoctor has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    1: Ice Baths after training
    2: Do not stretch your calf muscles
    3: Find a GOOD pair of shoes, once you find a good pair that doesn't irritate your calfs, buy 2-3 pairs of them.
    4: Don't take creatine, it gives ME shin splints.

I use to have shin splints 2 years ago, dealt with them for 6-8 months. Stretching can give you temporary relief, but it will make it worse in the long run.

On Fire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) On Fire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) On Fire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) On Fire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) On Fire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) On Fire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) On Fire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) On Fire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) On Fire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) On Fire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) On Fire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Don't base your feelings on your first run. I just went from a Saucony Hurricane (a motion control type shoe) that I'd been running with for over a year, switched to an Asics DS Gel a week ago, HATED the shoes after my first two runs, terrible splints on the first run, but since then they've felt really nice. Definitely give it a few more tries, and if things don't change for the better then maybe they're just not the right ones for you.

For what its worth, I've never run in Brooks, but I've got a few friends who love them, and they've got a good reputation in the running world.

FatWhiteKid is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FatWhiteKid is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FatWhiteKid is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FatWhiteKid is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FatWhiteKid is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FatWhiteKid is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FatWhiteKid is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FatWhiteKid is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FatWhiteKid is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FatWhiteKid is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FatWhiteKid is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    This is what I do, because I am fat and when I run I always get shin splints. After my workout/run, I'll get a freezing cold bath going. Sit in there and massage your shins and after 10 or so minutes they will feel fine.
    Cavs / Browns / Buckeyes / Indians