durch has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Creatine + Glutamine + Beta Alanine

Hey everyone,

My question is about taking creatine in combination with glutamine and beta alanine. A little background... I am a 24 year old male, 5'10", 162 pounds, <6% body fat. I've been lifting weights on and off since I was 13, and started using creatine for the first time about 18 months ago. Before using creatine, the only other supplements I've ever taken is protein powder which I've never used regularly.

When I've taken creatine in the past, I've loaded with 5g scoops taken four times a day (mixed in water) for the first 5 days. I then cut down to 10g a day taken in two doses. If it's a lifting day, I take it right before leaving for the gym, and take it with protein and water immediately after I return, usually snacking on raisins on the drive home. I've seen pretty good results while on it, maybe a 5-15% increase in max strength on each exercise, and have definitely noticed less fatigue in my later sets. However, I recently took a 6 month break from lifting as I switched jobs and was poor for awhile. I'm now lifting and running sprints again and would like to use creatine to its full potential.

I've read that beta alanine is helpful for maximizing the effects of creatine. I've also read that glutamine supplementing can reduce muscle breakdown and reduce recovery time as the immune system and other bodily functions also need it and can rob the muscle tissue for it. So I plan on supplementing for the next 8 weeks with creatine, glutamine, beta alanine, and whey protein.

I would like to know the proper dosing you recommend with these supplements. I think I have the creatine down, 20g for 5 days, 5-10g each day thereafter. Cycle 8 weeks on, 4-6 weeks off. But please correct me if dosing advice has changed since last time I researched this.

I'm unsure about the beta alanine and glutamine. The beta alanine says 1/2 teaspoon 4-6 times a day. That just seems excessive to me. Do I really need to take it that often? Do I load with beta alanine like I would creatine or should I take it 4 times a day every day I'm on creatine, regardless if I'm loading creatine or maintaining? When I take a break from the creatine, do I continue taking the beta alanine or do I take a break with that too?

The glutamine says 5g scoop 1-4 times daily. That's a huge range... what do you recommend?

I'm also wondering if I take everything together in one big glass, or if I need to split it up. I just started on it today, and it doesn't dissolve completely in my 16oz pint glass of water (5g creatine, 5g glutamine, 1/2 teaspoon beta alanine). But then again, I can never really get all my creatine to dissolve in that much water, no matter how much I stir. I usually drink it with it partially dissolved, and the rest in suspension. Is that a big issue? SHould I be using a blender or a shaker instead of just stirring?

I know, a lot of questions, but I do appreciate the help!

bump, can anyone give me a little advice on this?

Make the Game Easy... B1GinNY82307's Avatar
    B1GinNY82307 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) B1GinNY82307 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) B1GinNY82307 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) B1GinNY82307 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) B1GinNY82307 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) B1GinNY82307 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) B1GinNY82307 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) B1GinNY82307 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) B1GinNY82307 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) B1GinNY82307 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) B1GinNY82307 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by durch View Post
    I would like to know the proper dosing you recommend with these supplements. I think I have the creatine down, 20g for 5 days, 5-10g each day thereafter. Cycle 8 weeks on, 4-6 weeks off. But please correct me if dosing advice has changed since last time I researched this.

I'm unsure about the beta alanine and glutamine. The beta alanine says 1/2 teaspoon 4-6 times a day. That just seems excessive to me. Do I really need to take it that often? Do I load with beta alanine like I would creatine or should I take it 4 times a day every day I'm on creatine, regardless if I'm loading creatine or maintaining? When I take a break from the creatine, do I continue taking the beta alanine or do I take a break with that too?

The glutamine says 5g scoop 1-4 times daily. That's a huge range... what do you recommend?

I'm also wondering if I take everything together in one big glass, or if I need to split it up. I just started on it today, and it doesn't dissolve completely in my 16oz pint glass of water (5g creatine, 5g glutamine, 1/2 teaspoon beta alanine). But then again, I can never really get all my creatine to dissolve in that much water, no matter how much I stir. I usually drink it with it partially dissolved, and the rest in suspension. Is that a big issue? SHould I be using a blender or a shaker instead of just stirring?

We all start from somewhere right? Let me see if I can help you...

In regards to creatine, the "loading" phase is unnecessary. Obviously it will expedite the saturation of your cells/muscles with creatine, and therefore you'll see/feel the results quicker, but again unnecessary.
    Plus, all you really need is 3-5g of creatine, so taking 10 is a bit excessive. So with that all said, you can take your creatine really however you feel it helps best around a workout (whether it be PRE-,INTRA- or POSTworkout). The general consensus on these forums and with many other people is to take it POSTworkout.
    I preferably like to ingest creatine PREworkout (as I found it to be beneficial for my upcoming workout)...it's up to you to determine which way your body responds best to.

Beta-Alanine...Beta alanine helps in buffering the lactic acid build-up in your muscles (meaning the "burn" when doing an exercise..) and therefore can and should lead to enhanced endurance and therefore more muscle growth and strength.
    Combined with creatine, it's a potent "1-2 punch".
    In regards to dosing, I can only assume you purchased a Bulk BetaAlanine product, so therefore I would follow the recommended dosage 4-6x a day...b/c if this is your initial run with it, if you dose a bit higher, you may experience a tingling sensation and be uncomfortable with it..although it's completely normal.

Glutamine:
    Again the recommended dosing is appropriate as it seems to be from studies that glutamine is best when it's taken in HIGH ranges...

though there have been discussion that glutamine is "useless"...but again, I think at a HIGH dosage, it def has benefits...

as far as taking it all in one shot...you could DEF do that.
    It won't counteract anyone of it's intended designs or reactions or what have you...

if there are any more questions, just ask...

and hopefully more people will chime in to assist you...
    Free Agent

Hatebreed13 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Hatebreed13 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Hatebreed13 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Hatebreed13 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Hatebreed13 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Hatebreed13 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Hatebreed13 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Hatebreed13 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Hatebreed13 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Hatebreed13 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Hatebreed13 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Hey everyone,

I've read that beta alanine is helpful for maximizing the effects of creatine. I've also read that glutamine supplementing can reduce muscle breakdown and reduce recovery time as the immune system and other bodily functions also need it and can rob the muscle tissue for it. So I plan on supplementing for the next 8 weeks with creatine, glutamine, beta alanine, and whey protein.

First off, no need to load creatine. That's been pretty much debunked. Just take 5g a day.
    Second, supplementing L-Glutamine is pretty much a waste too. It's not going to go towards your recovery.
    Beta-Alanine is a supplement that can pretty much give some of the same results as creatine, it does not "maximize" them, they work in different ways. Beta-Alanine is a supplement that is dependent/based on saturation levels. So 4x a day is something that would be ideal, but it will still be effective if only taken twice a day. It usually takes about 6 weeks to reach saturation levels. Anywhere from 3.2-6.4g a day of Beta-Alanine is sufficient (pretty much all studies with Beta-Alanine have used either 3.2 or 6.4g dosings).
    You could mix creatine and beta-alanine together no problem. Same thing with whey protein. A lot of people experience paresthesia with Beta-Alanine on an empty stomach (intense tingling feeling) so taking it with food usually helps.

name1234 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) name1234 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) name1234 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) name1234 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) name1234 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) name1234 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) name1234 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) name1234 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) name1234 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) name1234 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) name1234 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    loading creatine is not necessary but it will take longer to reach full concentrations in your muscles so i would. after the 20g 5 day loading phase reduce to 5-10g...2-3 might be a little too low but 10 is probably a waste of money i'd go with around 5-7 (i do half in morning w juice then wait a few min before eating breakfast then other half right when im done working out at the gym&drink my protein when i get home)....3-4g of beta alanine is ideal i just take 3 1g dosages. 1 in morning w/ my creatine, 1 pre workout, 1 post. If your trying to gain mass i think glutamine is a waste of money just eat a ****load.

I appreciate all the replies. You guys were definitely helpful and answered almost all of my many questions. Based on your advice, it seems like loading creatine isn't necessary but also doesn't hurt (other than the bank). I think I'll compromise and go with 10g a day for the first 5 days, and 5g a day each day after.

Sounds like beta alanine should be taken in four 1g servings a day, which is far less (as I suspected) than what the container recommends. They suggest 4-6 1/2 teaspoon (2g) servings a day, which is 2-3 times as much as you guys recommend. And acid build up is a major concern for me when I do my sprinting. I've been doing 100m and 200m for the past 4 weeks. Tried going up to some 300m sprints yesterday and it felt like someone stabbed my glut's lol. I would love to delay or reduce this reaction so that I can get through my sprinting workouts.

And it sounds like Glutamine is not needed at all? I bought it due to articles suggesting that the immune system can be deprived of it since the muscles need it as well. I didn't want my immune system to suffer from my lifting, so I picked some up. Not exactly a supplement guru here so it may have just been a bunch of bs in the article. Well seeing as I already bought it, would I be better served taking large amounts each day until it's used up (20g) or stretching it out with smaller 5g doses each day?

The only important question in my original post that was unanswered is whether I need my supplements to be fully dissolved before taking them, or if it's ok to drink the water with the creatine and beta alanine only partially dissolved, and the rest in suspension. I've seen good results taking it like this, but want to be sure I'm maximizing the benefits of what I already paid for. I know creatine breaks down in solution, so I don't want to let it sit forever to dissolve.
    Last edited by durch; 07-02-2009 at 10:03 AM.

Hatebreed13 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Hatebreed13 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Hatebreed13 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Hatebreed13 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Hatebreed13 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Hatebreed13 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Hatebreed13 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Hatebreed13 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Hatebreed13 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Hatebreed13 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Hatebreed13 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I appreciate all the replies. You guys were definitely helpful and answered almost all of my many questions. Based on your advice, it seems like loading creatine isn't necessary but also doesn't hurt (other than the bank). I think I'll compromise and go with 10g a day for the first 5 days, and 5g a day each day after.

Sounds like beta alanine should be taken in four 1g servings a day, which is far less (as I suspected) than what the container recommends. They suggest 4-6 1/2 teaspoon (2g) servings a day, which is 2-3 times as much as you guys recommend. And acid build up is a major concern for me when I do my sprinting. I've been doing 100m and 200m for the past 4 weeks. Tried going up to some 300m sprints yesterday and it felt like someone stabbed my glut's lol. I would love to delay or reduce this reaction so that I can get through my sprinting workouts.

And it sounds like Glutamine is not needed at all? I bought it due to articles suggesting that the immune system can be deprived of it since the muscles need it as well. I didn't want my immune system to suffer from my lifting, so I picked some up. Not exactly a supplement guru here so it may have just been a bunch of bs in the article. Well seeing as I already bought it, would I be better served taking large amounts each day until it's used up (20g) or stretching it out with smaller 5g doses each day?

The only important question in my original post that was unanswered is whether I need my supplements to be fully dissolved before taking them, or if it's ok to drink the water with the creatine and beta alanine only partially dissolved, and the rest in suspension. I've seen good results taking it like this, but want to be sure I'm maximizing the benefits of what I already paid for. I know creatine breaks down in solution, so I don't want to let it sit forever to dissolve.
    You don't have to let it dissolve completely.
    If anything, next time you get sick megadose L-Glutamine. I'd rather hope it was of some benefit at that point rather than just during regular training.