Registered User repairmanscully's Avatar
    repairmanscully has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) repairmanscully has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) repairmanscully has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) repairmanscully has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) repairmanscully has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) repairmanscully has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) repairmanscully has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) repairmanscully has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) repairmanscully has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) repairmanscully has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Protein shake questions

How often should I be drinking protein shakes? particularly, I do cardio every other day 3 days a week and lift 3 days a week with the last day off. Is it beneficial to have a protein shake each day? Or is it ok to only do it after weight lifting to cut back on the extra calories? Or inversely should I have 1 every morning and 1 every day after lifting?

Note: I want to get toned and bulk up a little bit, and probably eat in the area of 100g of protein (I weight 175) if I dont do the shake. Also, I prefer it in 2 servings of skim milk so its about 40g of additional protein, about 20g carbs and 300 calories.

Is it bad to do it with milk over water from a weight loss perspective or are the health benefits of the milk worth it?

I know a lot about this question is directly dependent on my personal goals and diet outside of the protein shake, so I guess what I am really getting at is, how frequently do you all drink protein shakes and water or milk? and have you changed anything and seen better results one way over another?

th3pwn3r is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) th3pwn3r is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) th3pwn3r is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) th3pwn3r is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) th3pwn3r is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) th3pwn3r is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) th3pwn3r is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) th3pwn3r is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) th3pwn3r is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) th3pwn3r is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) th3pwn3r is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by repairmanscully View Post
    How often should I be drinking protein shakes? particularly, I do cardio every other day 3 days a week and lift 3 days a week with the last day off. Is it beneficial to have a protein shake each day? Or is it ok to only do it after weight lifting to cut back on the extra calories? Or inversely should I have 1 every morning and 1 every day after lifting?

Note: I want to get toned and bulk up a little bit, and probably eat in the area of 100g of protein (I weight 175) if I dont do the shake. Also, I prefer it in 2 servings of skim milk so its about 40g of additional protein, about 20g carbs and 300 calories.

Is it bad to do it with milk over water from a weight loss perspective or are the health benefits of the milk worth it?

I know a lot about this question is directly dependent on my personal goals and diet outside of the protein shake, so I guess what I am really getting at is, how frequently do you all drink protein shakes and water or milk? and have you changed anything and seen better results one way over another?

You can just as easily get your protein intake from whole foods. It's not necessary to have protein drinks but it's quick and convenient for most of us.
    "Everyone thinks they're on their way to single digit body fat as soon as they see a blurry four-pack in the right lighting.Your final body weight at 5-6% will be a lot less than what you think.Talk to me again when you get in contest shape." I'd be willing to say that 95% of people on this forum accomplish nothing in years, don't be one of those people. It's sad,they seem to have the knowledge many don't but can't utilize it.

Augustin will become famous soon enough. (+50) Augustin will become famous soon enough. (+50) Augustin will become famous soon enough. (+50) Augustin will become famous soon enough. (+50) Augustin will become famous soon enough. (+50) Augustin will become famous soon enough. (+50) Augustin will become famous soon enough. (+50) Augustin will become famous soon enough. (+50) Augustin will become famous soon enough. (+50) Augustin will become famous soon enough. (+50) Augustin will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    ^^^Yeah I agree with that. Whole foods definitely have everything you need. I use protein shakes before my training and immediately after for rapid absorption, but I'm whole foods for the remainder of the day.

Registered User repairmanscully's Avatar
    repairmanscully has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) repairmanscully has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) repairmanscully has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) repairmanscully has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) repairmanscully has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) repairmanscully has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) repairmanscully has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) repairmanscully has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) repairmanscully has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) repairmanscully has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Its definitely about the convenience. I just started drinking them about 2-3 weeks ago. I find myself concerned that I am just adding 300 calories to my daily intake without cutting back in other ways compared to beforehand, in that it doesnt really help much as far as hunger goes. I am trying to also add protein in other ways, but everywhere I look seems to suggest I need 1g per lb, so I find myself looking to the shake for the extra boost to make sure I am getting enough.

th3pwn3r is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) th3pwn3r is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) th3pwn3r is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) th3pwn3r is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) th3pwn3r is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) th3pwn3r is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) th3pwn3r is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) th3pwn3r is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) th3pwn3r is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) th3pwn3r is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) th3pwn3r is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by repairmanscully View Post
    Its definitely about the convenience. I just started drinking them about 2-3 weeks ago. I find myself concerned that I am just adding 300 calories to my daily intake without cutting back in other ways compared to beforehand, in that it doesnt really help much as far as hunger goes. I am trying to also add protein in other ways, but everywhere I look seems to suggest I need 1g per lb, so I find myself looking to the shake for the extra boost to make sure I am getting enough.
    Cut back from whole foods then to compensate for the calories in the protein shakes. Also, you don't exactly need 1 gram of protein per pound that you weigh, most recommend 1 gram of protein per pound of LEAN BODY MASS. If I were on a bulk I would consume at least 1 gram of protein per pound I weigh though, that's just me.
    "Everyone thinks they're on their way to single digit body fat as soon as they see a blurry four-pack in the right lighting.Your final body weight at 5-6% will be a lot less than what you think.Talk to me again when you get in contest shape." I'd be willing to say that 95% of people on this forum accomplish nothing in years, don't be one of those people. It's sad,they seem to have the knowledge many don't but can't utilize it.