Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: ACSM exam

Mr. Manlet has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mr. Manlet has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mr. Manlet has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mr. Manlet has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mr. Manlet has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mr. Manlet has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mr. Manlet has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mr. Manlet has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mr. Manlet has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mr. Manlet has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mr. Manlet has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

ACSM exam

How did you guys do? I know they are tricky with thier words.

Gonna be taking the exam in a few weeks
    IG = @ Bmur18 - Follow me and message for reps

**BMBC...MANG!**

rep back 10k+

vanfreak has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) vanfreak has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) vanfreak has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) vanfreak has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) vanfreak has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) vanfreak has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) vanfreak has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) vanfreak has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) vanfreak has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) vanfreak has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) vanfreak has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Mr. Manlet View Post
    How did you guys do? I know they are tricky with thier words.

Gonna be taking the exam in a few weeks
    Ive set a goal of taking the exam around December 15th-I'm studying hard-all three textboks [ACSM Resourcs for the Personal Trainer,Guidelines for exercise testing and prescription and certification review]it is very challenging..
    Please keep me posted on how you do and what you think of the test..
    Cheers from Canada

Mr. Manlet has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mr. Manlet has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mr. Manlet has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mr. Manlet has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mr. Manlet has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mr. Manlet has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mr. Manlet has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mr. Manlet has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mr. Manlet has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mr. Manlet has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mr. Manlet has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by vanfreak View Post
    Ive set a goal of taking the exam around December 15th-I'm studying hard-all three textboks [ACSM Resourcs for the Personal Trainer,Guidelines for exercise testing and prescription and certification review]it is very challenging..
    Please keep me posted on how you do and what you think of the test..
    Cheers from Canada
    ok will do!

I took a ACSM test prep course...a month long school

they said they have a 97% pass rate on the exam but idk ha

national average is 66%?

**BMBC...MANG!**

rep back 10k+

CSmit724 is on a distinguished road. (+10) CSmit724 is on a distinguished road. (+10) CSmit724 is on a distinguished road. (+10) CSmit724 is on a distinguished road. (+10) CSmit724 is on a distinguished road. (+10) CSmit724 is on a distinguished road. (+10) CSmit724 is on a distinguished road. (+10) CSmit724 is on a distinguished road. (+10) CSmit724 is on a distinguished road. (+10) CSmit724 is on a distinguished road. (+10) CSmit724 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    the ACSM exam is tough. Make sure you know your special populations and contraindications for exercise. Those two categories were huge when I took the exam. Their is a section at the end of the Resources text with the KSAs you need for each chapter, so study those as well. You will need to know some of the formulas that are in the books as well. They'll give you a calculator and some paper to work them out. Any questions let me know.

Good luck.

funkosaurus is on a distinguished road. (+10) funkosaurus is on a distinguished road. (+10) funkosaurus is on a distinguished road. (+10) funkosaurus is on a distinguished road. (+10) funkosaurus is on a distinguished road. (+10) funkosaurus is on a distinguished road. (+10) funkosaurus is on a distinguished road. (+10) funkosaurus is on a distinguished road. (+10) funkosaurus is on a distinguished road. (+10) funkosaurus is on a distinguished road. (+10) funkosaurus is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by CSmit724 View Post
    the ACSM exam is tough. Make sure you know your special populations and contraindications for exercise. Those two categories were huge when I took the exam. Their is a section at the end of the Resources text with the KSAs you need for each chapter, so study those as well. You will need to know some of the formulas that are in the books as well. They'll give you a calculator and some paper to work them out. Any questions let me know.

Good luck.
    Thanks for the info, that's good to know. I'm planning on taking the exam before the end of summer. It is a lot of take in though.

skyheart has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) skyheart has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) skyheart has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) skyheart has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    ok will do!

I took a ACSM test prep course...a month long school

they said they have a 97% pass rate on the exam but idk ha

national average is 66%?
    I highly doubt that. That is not even realistic.

quick update

took it today and passed

didnt do much studying, bought the ACSM practice test tho

know your terms! flexion, extension, isometric, isotonic, ect ect

**BMBC...MANG!**

rep back 10k+

aeon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    quick update

took it today and passed

Nice, I still lack confidence to book for the exam.

Mack77 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mack77 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mack77 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mack77 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mack77 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mack77 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mack77 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mack77 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mack77 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mack77 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mack77 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Mr. Manlet:

Congrats! I have narrowed my cert down to ACSM and ACE. What study materials did you purchase/use when preparing? I'd like to earn your same outcome....with a passing grade on the test!

Thanks!

I didn't hear no bell! Rap_Rocky's Avatar
    Rap_Rocky will become famous soon enough. (+50) Rap_Rocky will become famous soon enough. (+50) Rap_Rocky will become famous soon enough. (+50) Rap_Rocky will become famous soon enough. (+50) Rap_Rocky will become famous soon enough. (+50) Rap_Rocky will become famous soon enough. (+50) Rap_Rocky will become famous soon enough. (+50) Rap_Rocky will become famous soon enough. (+50) Rap_Rocky will become famous soon enough. (+50) Rap_Rocky will become famous soon enough. (+50) Rap_Rocky will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Congratulations!

I took ACE and finally passed and am looking to take the ACSM as well. For those that are interested, the practice test online (through the official website) helped ALOT, because the questions were damn near identical.
    I can accept failure, everyone fails at something. But I can't accept not trying.
    I'm not out there sweating for three hours every day just to find out what it feels like to sweat.

Originally Posted by Mack77 View Post
    Mr. Manlet:

Congrats! I have narrowed my cert down to ACSM and ACE. What study materials did you purchase/use when preparing? I'd like to earn your same outcome....with a passing grade on the test!

Thanks!
    thanks everyone

I bought the ACSM study guide book. And took a ACSM prep course...also bought the practice test

Know terms, and RISK STRATS!!! lots of questions regarding those. Id do ACSM, stronger cert then ace ive been told

**BMBC...MANG!**

rep back 10k+

I didn't hear no bell! Rap_Rocky's Avatar
    Rap_Rocky will become famous soon enough. (+50) Rap_Rocky will become famous soon enough. (+50) Rap_Rocky will become famous soon enough. (+50) Rap_Rocky will become famous soon enough. (+50) Rap_Rocky will become famous soon enough. (+50) Rap_Rocky will become famous soon enough. (+50) Rap_Rocky will become famous soon enough. (+50) Rap_Rocky will become famous soon enough. (+50) Rap_Rocky will become famous soon enough. (+50) Rap_Rocky will become famous soon enough. (+50) Rap_Rocky will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    quick update

took it today and passed

I'm trying to study for it now...where do you buy the practice test? I couldn't find it on the website (or maybe I'm just slow..)
    I can accept failure, everyone fails at something. But I can't accept not trying.
    I'm not out there sweating for three hours every day just to find out what it feels like to sweat.

Originally Posted by Rap_Rocky View Post
    I'm trying to study for it now...where do you buy the practice test? I couldn't find it on the website (or maybe I'm just slow..)
    acsmlearning.org

its 50 bucks

**BMBC...MANG!**

rep back 10k+

Mack77 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mack77 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mack77 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mack77 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mack77 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mack77 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mack77 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mack77 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mack77 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mack77 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mack77 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I've been doing some research on their site...couldn't find a $50 book...

I did find this information in their FAQ section:

The following texts are recommended to prepare for the ACSM Certified Personal TrainerSM exam:

■ACSM?s Certification Review, 2nd edition
    ■ACSM?s Guidelines for Exercise Testing and Prescription, 7th edition (LWW)
    ■ACSM?s Resources for the Personal Trainer, 2nd edition (LWW)
    LWW publications can be ordered directly from the publisher, Lippincott, Williams, & Wilkins (LWW) by calling 800-486-5643, at any major bookstore, or any major online distributor or reseller.

This is for their "Personal Trainer" Exam Did you purchase all, or just one? I want to be well rounded in all aspects, but don't want to buy something that really isn't necessary.

Thanks so much!

The following texts are recommended to prepare for the ACSM Certified Personal TrainerSM exam:

LWW publications can be ordered directly from the publisher, Lippincott, Williams, & Wilkins (LWW) by calling 800-486-5643, at any major bookstore, or any major online distributor or reseller.

This is for their "Personal Trainer" Exam Did you purchase all, or just one? I want to be well rounded in all aspects, but don't want to buy something that really isn't necessary.

Thanks so much!
    i bought the 2nd book you listed....good book...lots of important info

the practice tests was worth it imo

**BMBC...MANG!**

rep back 10k+

beakerfunk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) beakerfunk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) beakerfunk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) beakerfunk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) beakerfunk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) beakerfunk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) beakerfunk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) beakerfunk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Thanks so much!

Make sure you join the ACSM. The cost is $50 but they take $60 of the cost of your test when you register so its like making $10 in the end. As a member you have a lot of materials at your disposal and you get constant updates on CEU which you will need to keep your cert. By the way, I'm a little partial because I have my ACSM cert but I believe it to be the most respected cert in the industry and definitely the most clinical. Good luck to all.
    David Kimmel
    American College of Sports Medicine
    Certified Personal Trainer

tishtash is on a distinguished road. (+10) tishtash is on a distinguished road. (+10) tishtash is on a distinguished road. (+10) tishtash is on a distinguished road. (+10) tishtash is on a distinguished road. (+10) tishtash is on a distinguished road. (+10) tishtash is on a distinguished road. (+10) tishtash is on a distinguished road. (+10) tishtash is on a distinguished road. (+10) tishtash is on a distinguished road. (+10) tishtash is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by beakerfunk View Post
    Make sure you join the ACSM. The cost is $50 but they take $60 of the cost of your test when you register so its like making $10 in the end. As a member you have a lot of materials at your disposal and you get constant updates on CEU which you will need to keep your cert. By the way, I'm a little partial because I have my ACSM cert but I believe it to be the most respected cert in the industry and definitely the most clinical. Good luck to all.
    I am a member and the benefits are AWESOME!

Thanks for all of the info...I am taking the test in the next week or so. I've been really studying the review this past week, I did the workshop last month and I just started shadowing in a gym today so I HAVE to pass! They already have 3 clients and one small group they are going to hand me, I need to get on it!
    Do not confuse the conditions in your life with the truth about you. Conditions may be influential, but they are not immutable.
    Conditions can, and do change!
    Circumstances may have an effect, but they are not the deciding factors in your life. Do not allow what is going on around you to determine what comes through you. Do not allow your self to believe that what happens to you can in any way alter the truth about you!

alf1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Hey everyone so IM getting all my materials together to study for the exam I play to take in the next few months and just wanted to make sure I have all the necessary items.
    From reading here It sounds like of the "recommended" items the Certification Review book is not really needed for the exam.
    Am I correct on this?
    IM sure its a good book to have at some point but reading what it covers on the lww.com site it seems to be more of a Broad review of the entire ACSM certification's not specifically the CPT.

Am im safe in just focusing on the GETP and Resources for the PT book?

tishtash is on a distinguished road. (+10) tishtash is on a distinguished road. (+10) tishtash is on a distinguished road. (+10) tishtash is on a distinguished road. (+10) tishtash is on a distinguished road. (+10) tishtash is on a distinguished road. (+10) tishtash is on a distinguished road. (+10) tishtash is on a distinguished road. (+10) tishtash is on a distinguished road. (+10) tishtash is on a distinguished road. (+10) tishtash is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I thought the Cert. Review book was helpful, but that's just me. I don't think their questions were tricky at all, they were much like the questions in the review book. As mentioned, know your special populations, your terms, etc...
    Do not confuse the conditions in your life with the truth about you. Conditions may be influential, but they are not immutable.
    Conditions can, and do change!
    Circumstances may have an effect, but they are not the deciding factors in your life. Do not allow what is going on around you to determine what comes through you. Do not allow your self to believe that what happens to you can in any way alter the truth about you!

Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000)
    ACSM has pretty decent exams and there HFI program is realy good. When will you know if you passed or not?

beakerfunk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) beakerfunk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) beakerfunk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) beakerfunk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) beakerfunk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) beakerfunk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) beakerfunk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) beakerfunk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    http://www.acsm.org/AM/Template.cfm?...tudy_Materials

I recommend all 3.

ACSM?s Resources for the Personal Trainer, 2nd edition
    ACSM?s Guidelines for Exercise Testing and Prescription, 8th edition
    ACSM?s Certification Review, 3rd. edition
    David Kimmel

SophieM is a name known to all. (+5000) SophieM is a name known to all. (+5000) SophieM is a name known to all. (+5000) SophieM is a name known to all. (+5000) SophieM is a name known to all. (+5000) SophieM is a name known to all. (+5000) SophieM is a name known to all. (+5000) SophieM is a name known to all. (+5000) SophieM is a name known to all. (+5000) SophieM is a name known to all. (+5000) SophieM is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I've read all of the books, haven't gone through the review book yet though. I am taking notes over Resources for the Personal Trainer and probably will take notes of GETP as well.

As a sidenote for the people who were deciding between ACE and ACSM, one gym I went to said if you only have an ACE cert, they won't hire you. You have to something in addition to ACE. Must be bad.
    Me vs. Me: Lifting with UCTD: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=170084343

alf1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Thanks for the replys.
    I wont know when I have passed the test until I take it lol. But I plan on studying for a few months or until im comfortable with the info. I just took finished a workshop last weekend and it was VERY helpful. I am just going to go ahead and get the 3 book package and run with it.

b18cyaaa has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by alf1 View Post
    Thanks for the replys.
    I wont know when I have passed the test until I take it lol. But I plan on studying for a few months or until im comfortable with the info. I just took finished a workshop last weekend and it was VERY helpful. I am just going to go ahead and get the 3 book package and run with it.

The books are much cheaper on half.com . They're are available used and new. Taking my test in a few months.

Originally Posted by b18cyaaa View Post
    The books are much cheaper on half.com . They're are available used and new. Taking my test in a few months.
    Make SURE you get the newest editions, they changed in June.
    David Kimmel

loxleynew is on a distinguished road. (+10) loxleynew is on a distinguished road. (+10) loxleynew is on a distinguished road. (+10) loxleynew is on a distinguished road. (+10) loxleynew is on a distinguished road. (+10) loxleynew is on a distinguished road. (+10) loxleynew is on a distinguished road. (+10) loxleynew is on a distinguished road. (+10) loxleynew is on a distinguished road. (+10) loxleynew is on a distinguished road. (+10) loxleynew is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I'm taking the ACSM HFI exam in a few weeks here. I was going to just do the CPT one but I figured since I got the bachelors degree in exercise science anyways I might as well go for the better cert. I hope it's not too much harder than the CPT.

Honestly I don't have the resource manual book just the other two. Think I will need it since I studied all this stuff before? Even though it was 2 years ago.

szym23 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by loxleynew View Post
    I'm taking the ACSM HFI exam in a few weeks here. I was going to just do the CPT one but I figured since I got the bachelors degree in exercise science anyways I might as well go for the better cert. I hope it's not too much harder than the CPT.

Honestly I don't have the resource manual book just the other two. Think I will need it since I studied all this stuff before? Even though it was 2 years ago.

I took the hfi exam. I studied the review book 3 times over and took the review exams in the back of each chapter 3 times and i passed. Good luck! I focused on exercise phys, risk stratification, and exercise testing.

vanfreak has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) vanfreak has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) vanfreak has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) vanfreak has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) vanfreak has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) vanfreak has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) vanfreak has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) vanfreak has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) vanfreak has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) vanfreak has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) vanfreak has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

so how long did everyone study for acsm?

Just curious-for those of you that took and passed the ACSM exam, how long did you study for?I'm about three months in in studying took the practice test at the back of the certification review, it gave me a good indication of areas where I need imporvement and areas where I'm strong.My goal was to write the exam on December 15th or thereabouts,but I want to make sure its right!
    I'm going to do the online practice test in the next two weeks....
    so how many months did you study for?

loxleynew is on a distinguished road. (+10) loxleynew is on a distinguished road. (+10) loxleynew is on a distinguished road. (+10) loxleynew is on a distinguished road. (+10) loxleynew is on a distinguished road. (+10) loxleynew is on a distinguished road. (+10) loxleynew is on a distinguished road. (+10) loxleynew is on a distinguished road. (+10) loxleynew is on a distinguished road. (+10) loxleynew is on a distinguished road. (+10) loxleynew is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by szym23 View Post
    I took the hfi exam. I studied the review book 3 times over and took the review exams in the back of each chapter 3 times and i passed. Good luck! I focused on exercise phys, risk stratification, and exercise testing.
    How fast did you find a job and/or what are you doing now with it? More hospital/clinical work or gym stuff?

charltoncc has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

acsm exam.

I'm studying for ACSM PT exam. what do i need to know to pass the test.
    My plan it to take it in Jan,