Kodokan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kodokan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kodokan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kodokan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kodokan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kodokan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kodokan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kodokan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kodokan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kodokan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kodokan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

Where's my Pendlay Econ Bar?

http://www.pendlaybarbell.com/peneba.html

It looks like some changes are in the works...I haven't read up on what's going on yet but there appears to be a new direction over at Pendlay Barbell/MuscleDriver USA regarding their bars.

I don't see the Pendlay Econ Bar...so maybe they were just doing better with the HD bars and are going to focus on them...

I love my Econ Bar though, I'm glad I got one. Don't see that $200 option anymore...(there is the slightly more rogue bar still available, and don't know for sure but I think from the descriptions these were the same bar http://www.roguefitness.com/store/rogue_bar.php)

If anyone knows the scoop with the new marketing strategy of "NextGen" and bushing vs. bearing classes, and how they map on to what the old bars were I'm sure people will like to hear about it.

But, as I said there may be more info on the website, and I for one will be interested to read more.
    Last edited by Kodokan; 06-26-2009 at 06:10 AM.

Kodokan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kodokan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kodokan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kodokan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kodokan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kodokan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kodokan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kodokan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kodokan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kodokan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kodokan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    One thing I don't like with the recent website changes is there's no text yet on the jump off points helping a novice user figure where they should go. You see "bushing" and "bearing"...but there will be sure to be plenty of folks who don't know the difference. I think the old descriptions by the bars saying what they were good for and who is likely to want them were great.

HardKore79 is a name known to all. (+5000) HardKore79 is a name known to all. (+5000) HardKore79 is a name known to all. (+5000) HardKore79 is a name known to all. (+5000) HardKore79 is a name known to all. (+5000) HardKore79 is a name known to all. (+5000) HardKore79 is a name known to all. (+5000) HardKore79 is a name known to all. (+5000) HardKore79 is a name known to all. (+5000) HardKore79 is a name known to all. (+5000) HardKore79 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Well, the bushing is for slow lifts and the HD bar is a good example. The needle or bearing is for olympic lifts.
    Also, check this thread out at Crossfit where Glenn himself responds: http://www.board.crossfit.com/showthread.php
    []---[] Equipment Crew Member No.2

Lifetime reps: TheSuccessful1

Essexlad is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Essexlad is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Essexlad is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Essexlad is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Essexlad is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Essexlad is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Essexlad is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Essexlad is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Essexlad is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Essexlad is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Essexlad is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    The Elite bars are also not there anymore as well as the Econ. Hmm.
    []---[] Equipment Crew Member No. 22

http://www.muscledriverusa.com/hibupl.html

It looks like they're also going to be stopping selling Hi-Temps kgs! They're on sale right now 20% off with what they have left I bet. Rogue sells them in lbs, for just a little more I believe.

Originally Posted by HardKore79 View Post
    Well, the bushing is for slow lifts and the HD bar is a good example. The needle or bearing is for olympic lifts.
    Also, check this thread out at Crossfit where Glenn himself responds: http://www.board.crossfit.com/showthread.php
    The econ bar is (was) also bushing...still, the spin on mine is WAY more than what you see in the average junky cap bar/random made-in-china bar.

The HD bar was marketed on the Pendlay site as being just like the Econ bar, but with stronger steel...and for a slightly higher price.

Originally Posted by Essexlad View Post
    The Elite bars are also not there anymore as well as the Econ. Hmm.
    I think the old elite is probably "mapped" onto the new, "nextgen", bearing class bar 20KG bar.

I'm not a fan of calling anything "nextgen". Makes me think of star trek, which makes me think of star trac, which makes me think of my annoying old overcrowded gym

HardKore79 is a name known to all. (+5000) HardKore79 is a name known to all. (+5000) HardKore79 is a name known to all. (+5000) HardKore79 is a name known to all. (+5000) HardKore79 is a name known to all. (+5000) HardKore79 is a name known to all. (+5000) HardKore79 is a name known to all. (+5000) HardKore79 is a name known to all. (+5000) HardKore79 is a name known to all. (+5000) HardKore79 is a name known to all. (+5000) HardKore79 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by Kodokan View Post
    The econ bar is (was) also bushing...still, the spin on mine is WAY more than what you see in the average junky cap bar/random made-in-china bar.

The HD bar was marketed on the Pendlay site as being just like the Econ bar, but with stronger steel...and for a slightly higher price.
    Yeah, that I know. I have an HD bar myself.

Essexlad is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Essexlad is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Essexlad is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Essexlad is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Essexlad is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Essexlad is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Essexlad is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Essexlad is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Essexlad is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Essexlad is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Essexlad is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by Kodokan View Post
    I think the old elite is probably "mapped" onto the new, "nextgen", bearing class bar 20KG bar.

I'm not a fan of calling anything "nextgen". Makes me think of star trek, which makes me think of star trac, which makes me think of my annoying old overcrowded gym
    Looks at those price points to me it seems to be the current mens and womens bars (which are bearing I think) mapped to 'nextgen' mens and womens bars. The elite mens and womens bars seemingly have nothing equivalent. Maybe it'll be out later, or they aren't changing it.

I don't really get why they have to change the names with new bars, people who buy these bars aren't fussed about a futurisitc gimmicky sounding name. And yeah star trek came to my mind to lol!

Keeptryin will become famous soon enough. (+50) Keeptryin will become famous soon enough. (+50) Keeptryin will become famous soon enough. (+50) Keeptryin will become famous soon enough. (+50) Keeptryin will become famous soon enough. (+50) Keeptryin will become famous soon enough. (+50) Keeptryin will become famous soon enough. (+50) Keeptryin will become famous soon enough. (+50) Keeptryin will become famous soon enough. (+50) Keeptryin will become famous soon enough. (+50) Keeptryin will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by HardKore79 View Post
    so what would bushings look like?I did research on the needle bearings app's but bushing's are a no go in a search...this??

Originally Posted by Keeptryin View Post
    so what would bushings look like?I did research on the needle bearings app's but bushing's are a no go in a search...this??

That is indeed a bronze bushing.

Edit: and if thats the york bar you got in the other thread, they're probably scintered too.
    Last edited by Essexlad; 06-30-2009 at 08:50 AM.

Keeptryin will become famous soon enough. (+50) Keeptryin will become famous soon enough. (+50) Keeptryin will become famous soon enough. (+50) Keeptryin will become famous soon enough. (+50) Keeptryin will become famous soon enough. (+50) Keeptryin will become famous soon enough. (+50) Keeptryin will become famous soon enough. (+50) Keeptryin will become famous soon enough. (+50) Keeptryin will become famous soon enough. (+50) Keeptryin will become famous soon enough. (+50) Keeptryin will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    scintered??
    wikipedia...Sintered bronze in particular is frequently used as a material for bearings, since its porosity allows lubricants to flow through it or remain captured within it. For materials that have relatively high melting points, by comparison to other materials of the same type, such as Teflon and tungsten, sintering is one of the few viable manufacturing processes. In these cases very low porosity is desirable and can often be achieved.

REPs4u
    Last edited by Keeptryin; 06-30-2009 at 08:59 AM.

Originally Posted by Keeptryin View Post
    scintered??
    It's a process that allows the manufacturer to increase the pourosity of the metal, so they it's easier for oil/lubricant to penetrate the metal of the bushing. More lubricant in the bushing = less wear over time, smoother action, less frequent maintenance. Good bronze bushing are scintered, cheaper ones aren't.

Edit: Just saw you're edit, oh well lol.

Originally Posted by Essexlad View Post
    It's a process that allows the manufacturer to increase the pourosity of the metal, so they it's easier for oil/lubricant to penetrate the metal of the bushing. More lubricant in the bushing = less wear over time, smoother action, less frequent maintenance. Good bronze bushing are scintered, cheaper ones aren't.

Edit: Just saw you're edit, oh well lol.
    Nice lookin out though,metalurgy and bodybuilding go quite well together,thanx.

Just like E said that's a bushing.

kbdub has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kbdub has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kbdub has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kbdub has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kbdub has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kbdub has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kbdub has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kbdub has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kbdub has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kbdub has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kbdub has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I still have a large stockpile of Econ bars available. If you would like one please contact me at 614.358.6190 or email me at kris@roguefitness.com However, I always recommend spending a few extra dollars and upgrading to a bar with better steel. As your strength develops the bar will see higher and higher loads and eventually the Econ bar will bend. I have found that in order for a bar not to bend with dynamic movements the tensile strength of the steel must be greater than 150,000 psi.

Static strength is a useless rating and is only good while the bar is sitting on the rack, not once it is in motion for squat/bench/dead and certainly not when you are doing any type of clean or snatch. You will find static ratings on cheap bars from China. Pendlay, Rogue, Ivanko, Elieko, Werksan and other top bar manufactures rarely (if ever) use static ratings.

I have a B&R bar that York manufactures for Rogue that Louie Simmons has used at Westside Barbell for the last 4 months. This doesn?t have a static rating on it but I know it has been good for 900lb+ rack pulls week in and week out for 4 months of hardcore use and it is still straight as an arrow. Send me a bar with a 1500lb static rating and I?ll take it over to Louie for a week and we can see what happens.

The Troy bar mentioned above has a pinned end cap construction that severely decreases the ability for the collar to spin. Pendlay/Rogue bars utilize bushings or needle bearings and allow the bar to spin much better.

I've been in the loop throughout the Pendlay Nexgen bar transition and thought I would share the following since we have a great relationship with MD and are an Authorized Reseller. Glen just sent me a 20kg Nexgen bar. I should be able to use it tomorrow and will report back. These bars are available now and the Rogue Nexgen bar should be available within a few weeks.

These are the 4 principals behind the Nexgen bars:

1) Consistency- they dialed in their manufacturing specs and tolerances. The bars will be more uniform, but this uniformity comes at a higher price.

2) Strength- bushing series bars will be made with the same steel as the Rogue and HD bars. Needle bearing series will be made with similar steel that is typically found in $1000+ range bars (higher Nickel content steel)

3) Performance- some of the components are now better than before (not that there was anything wrong with the old components) This also adds to the price.

4) Pride- these bars are Made in the US! The old bars were also made in the US but the new ones are now being produced by a different manufacturer.

I can go into a lot more detail, but I think this is enough for now.

Kris