gingerbabe is on a distinguished road. (+10) gingerbabe is on a distinguished road. (+10) gingerbabe is on a distinguished road. (+10) gingerbabe is on a distinguished road. (+10) gingerbabe is on a distinguished road. (+10) gingerbabe is on a distinguished road. (+10) gingerbabe is on a distinguished road. (+10) gingerbabe is on a distinguished road. (+10) gingerbabe is on a distinguished road. (+10) gingerbabe is on a distinguished road. (+10) gingerbabe is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Exclamation Never used free weights-Q's to ask trainer

Hey Ladies,

I have never used free weights before and I want to learn. I switched to a closer/better gym and I will be having a few sessions with a trainer. I am nervous because I don't know my bum from my elbow in the free-weight section and I am a little intimidated.

What are some exercises that I should ask the trainer about? Any advice?
    Feelin' Good, Gettin' Tight, Livin' Right

FencingGal is on a distinguished road. (+10) FencingGal is on a distinguished road. (+10) FencingGal is on a distinguished road. (+10) FencingGal is on a distinguished road. (+10) FencingGal is on a distinguished road. (+10) FencingGal is on a distinguished road. (+10) FencingGal is on a distinguished road. (+10) FencingGal is on a distinguished road. (+10) FencingGal is on a distinguished road. (+10) FencingGal is on a distinguished road. (+10) FencingGal is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    First, I'd bring a notebook to jot down anything that comes up during the session. As for transitioning - tell the trainer which machines you're currently using and the weights. You'll find that the weights you can lift on machines are well over what you'd try with free weights (starting out) so ask for good starting weights.

Don't be nervous - it'll be fun!

petelta has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I think machines should be second option. Free weights are more effective than machines. Just ask the trainer about hitting each muscle group. To be more specific if a client asked me that I would reply:

Chest - Bench Press
    Shoulders - DB Overhead Press
    Triceps - Dips
    Back - Rows
    Biceps - Curls
    Legs - Lunges or Squats
    Abs - Sit ups

Those are basics you should be doing at first. They are mostly compound movements that will hit more than 1 muscle.
    Travis Petelle
    Check out Go Healthy Fitness' FREE Newsletter at http://www.gohealthyfitness.com for weekly fitness, nutrition, and health tips.

onnadafit is on a distinguished road. (+10) onnadafit is on a distinguished road. (+10) onnadafit is on a distinguished road. (+10) onnadafit is on a distinguished road. (+10) onnadafit is on a distinguished road. (+10) onnadafit is on a distinguished road. (+10) onnadafit is on a distinguished road. (+10) onnadafit is on a distinguished road. (+10) onnadafit is on a distinguished road. (+10) onnadafit is on a distinguished road. (+10) onnadafit is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Wink :)

Exactly what Travis above mentioned - make sure you train free weights first and use the machines as an option on a day where the free weights area is too packed or you wnat to mix up training.

Don't be shy about asking what the exercises are specifically working - I always ask my clients where they feel it when I am training them so they get the mind & body association....

Don't be nervous, your trainer will be there to go through the exercises and will assist you with technique - go for it!!

Originally Posted by petelta View Post
    I think machines should be second option. Free weights are more effective than machines. Just ask the trainer about hitting each muscle group. To be more specific if a client asked me that I would reply:

Chest - Bench Press
    Shoulders - DB Overhead Press
    Triceps - Dips
    Back - Rows
    Biceps - Curls
    Legs - Lunges or Squats
    Abs - Sit ups

Those are basics you should be doing at first. They are mostly compound movements that will hit more than 1 muscle.
    Donna
    "be true to yourself and your goals, set them at a level you can reach"

FireChick has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) FireChick has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) FireChick has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) FireChick has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) FireChick has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) FireChick has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    If I can throw my two cents in here... technique technique technique. Make sure you practice good technique before you start adding more weight.

I see lots of people lift stupid heavy weight and then you don't see them for a few days because they are really sore or hurt because they didn't do it right.

Slow controlled movements and when they are second nature, start adding more weight. Saves you in the long run and makes working out with free weights that much better. Don't be afraid to ask if your technique is good or not.

Enjoy...free weights are awsome.

Figure8 is just really nice. (+1000) Figure8 is just really nice. (+1000) Figure8 is just really nice. (+1000) Figure8 is just really nice. (+1000) Figure8 is just really nice. (+1000) Figure8 is just really nice. (+1000) Figure8 is just really nice. (+1000) Figure8 is just really nice. (+1000) Figure8 is just really nice. (+1000) Figure8 is just really nice. (+1000) Figure8 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by gingerbabe View Post
    Hey Ladies,

I have never used free weights before and I want to learn. I switched to a closer/better gym and I will be having a few sessions with a trainer. I am nervous because I don't know my bum from my elbow in the free-weight section and I am a little intimidated.

What are some exercises that I should ask the trainer about? Any advice?
    The basic exercises are the best in my opinion Good luck
    Stop Talking and Start Doing