antman8969 will become famous soon enough. (+50) antman8969 will become famous soon enough. (+50) antman8969 will become famous soon enough. (+50) antman8969 will become famous soon enough. (+50) antman8969 will become famous soon enough. (+50) antman8969 will become famous soon enough. (+50) antman8969 will become famous soon enough. (+50) antman8969 will become famous soon enough. (+50) antman8969 will become famous soon enough. (+50) antman8969 will become famous soon enough. (+50) antman8969 will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Booked my NSCA exam...is this a joke?

Ive been taking practice test questions a lot lately, as my test is on July 7th. There seems to be a consensus on these boards that this is a hard test... do the practice questions reflect the test? Take a look at this one....

Which of the following stair climbing techniques results in the greatest DECREASE in relative exercise intensity?

a) positioning only the balls of the feet on the pedals
    b) supporting the upper body with hands on the rails
    c) swinging the arms at the sides in a running motion
    d) allowing the pedals to consistently rise to their highest position

Please tell me you didnt read past b....

Is this the type of stuff on the test? All of these questions are common sense.

IwuvLegDay is on a distinguished road. (+10) IwuvLegDay is on a distinguished road. (+10) IwuvLegDay is on a distinguished road. (+10) IwuvLegDay is on a distinguished road. (+10) IwuvLegDay is on a distinguished road. (+10) IwuvLegDay is on a distinguished road. (+10) IwuvLegDay is on a distinguished road. (+10) IwuvLegDay is on a distinguished road. (+10) IwuvLegDay is on a distinguished road. (+10) IwuvLegDay is on a distinguished road. (+10) IwuvLegDay is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by antman8969 View Post
    Ive been taking practice test questions a lot lately, as my test is on July 7th. There seems to be a consensus on these boards that this is a hard test... do the practice questions reflect the test? Take a look at this one....

Which of the following stair climbing techniques results in the greatest DECREASE in relative exercise intensity?

The test is pretty straight forward. Some of the video questions were dumb and you had to notice really small details like a spotter not spotting a bench with an over and under grip. Other stuff is on ethics, for example, if a client overhears two trainers talking negatively about gym members, who can get in trouble? I also remember one question in particular which talked about certain attachments to cable machines and which ones were considered unsafe.

My problem with the test was that the questions were too wordy. The test was trying to sound way harder than it was, so it makes you second-guess yourself.

antman8969 will become famous soon enough. (+50) antman8969 will become famous soon enough. (+50) antman8969 will become famous soon enough. (+50) antman8969 will become famous soon enough. (+50) antman8969 will become famous soon enough. (+50) antman8969 will become famous soon enough. (+50) antman8969 will become famous soon enough. (+50) antman8969 will become famous soon enough. (+50) antman8969 will become famous soon enough. (+50) antman8969 will become famous soon enough. (+50) antman8969 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by IwuvLegDay View Post
    The test is pretty straight forward. Some of the video questions were dumb and you had to notice really small details like a spotter not spotting a bench with an over and under grip. Other stuff is on ethics, for example, if a client overhears two trainers talking negatively about gym members, who can get in trouble? I also remember one question in particular which talked about certain attachments to cable machines and which ones were considered unsafe.

My problem with the test was that the questions were too wordy. The test was trying to sound way harder than it was, so it makes you second-guess yourself.
    Yea, thats the impression im getting from the practice material. I suppose the subject matter isn't the most difficult if you're semi competent and experienced, but I was just expecting a harder time on the practice test, having not studies thus far

Environ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Environ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Environ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Environ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Environ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Environ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Environ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Environ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Environ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Environ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Environ is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Are you talking about the CPT or the CSCS?

I did the CSCS and, believe me, there were no questions like that.
    ***Irish Misc Crew***

Out of my mind, back in 5 minutes.

ISSA CFT, SPN, FT, SSC, SFN
    NSCA CSCS

BRB... Eating a chicken askthetrainer's Avatar
    askthetrainer is just really nice. (+1000) askthetrainer is just really nice. (+1000) askthetrainer is just really nice. (+1000) askthetrainer is just really nice. (+1000) askthetrainer is just really nice. (+1000) askthetrainer is just really nice. (+1000) askthetrainer is just really nice. (+1000) askthetrainer is just really nice. (+1000) askthetrainer is just really nice. (+1000) askthetrainer is just really nice. (+1000) askthetrainer is just really nice. (+1000)

You sound very overconfident. Those types of questions are meant for a change of pace. When someone is rushing through the test, or trying to complete a test within the allotted time, the DECREASE in the question will still be confusing for 50% of people.

The test is no joke, even for people with exercise science college backgrounds.

Straight from the NSCA website:

The passing rate for both sections of the CSCS examination is approximately 65%. (The percentage of candidates who pass the Scientific Foundations section is slightly higher than those passing the Practical/Applied section.) Note: To become certified, a candidate must pass both sections.

The passing rate for the NSCA-CPT examination is approximately 57%.
    Last edited by askthetrainer; 06-24-2009 at 05:12 AM.
    Contact me about our author Program

www.AskTheTrainer.com | Twitter.com/AskTheTrainer | ********.com/askthetrainercom

Originally Posted by askthetrainer View Post
    You sound very overconfident. Those types of questions are meant for a change of pace. When someone is rushing through the test, or trying to complete a test within the allotted time, the DECREASE in the question will still be confusing for 50% of people.

The passing rate for both sections of the CSCS examination is approximately 65%. (The percentage of candidates who pass the Scientific Foundations section is slightly higher than those passing the Practical/Applied section.) Note: To become certified, a candidate must pass both sections.

I suppose so, but it just seems odd. All of the questions in the booklet were answerable without having to pick up the text book, aside from the legal questions which i happened to guess right

BRB... Eating a chicken askthetrainer's Avatar
    askthetrainer is just really nice. (+1000) askthetrainer is just really nice. (+1000) askthetrainer is just really nice. (+1000) askthetrainer is just really nice. (+1000) askthetrainer is just really nice. (+1000) askthetrainer is just really nice. (+1000) askthetrainer is just really nice. (+1000) askthetrainer is just really nice. (+1000) askthetrainer is just really nice. (+1000) askthetrainer is just really nice. (+1000) askthetrainer is just really nice. (+1000)
    I suppose so, but it just seems odd. All of the questions in the booklet were answerable without having to pick up the text book, aside from the legal questions which i happened to guess right
    Yeah, I think the difficulty of any test should be assessed as a whole rather than question by question as I think they're designed that way.

I would actually like to hear from someone who designs these tests although I doubt we'll see them on this forum...
    Contact me about our author Program

www.AskTheTrainer.com | Twitter.com/AskTheTrainer | ********.com/askthetrainercom

Environ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Environ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Environ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Environ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Environ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Environ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Environ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Environ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Environ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Environ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Environ is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    I felt that the fact that there wasn't a single question related to programme design on the whole test is a glaring omission. Theory is great, but it's application is more important. Anyone can learn off a whole load of stuff and pass an exam.

Before, I signed up to do the CSCS, I just presumed that ones ability to apply the knowledge one learned would be thoroughly examined in the form of programme design questions. But they weren't. While the exam was still relatively tough, I merely examined your knowledge of the material in the book and whether you had a good understanding of it.

When I compare it with the ISSA exams that I had to do and, considering that the NSCA is held in a position of much higher respect than the ISSA, I preferred the ISSA approach. They not only examined you on your knowledge and understanding of what was in the text book and the other reading material, but they also got you to design programmes to see if you REALLY understood what you were being examined on.

I spoke to an Englishman last year at the NSCA's European Convention. There is an organisation in the UK called the SCA, the Strength and Conditioning Association, which is linked to the NSCA. However, he said that you would not get a job in the UK with the CSCS because, unlike in the exams that the SCA do, there is no practical examination in either the NSCA-CPT or the NSCA-CSCS. In the SCA exams, you have to do a practical exam - that means you're tested in the gym. I find this interesting and I think that it is something that the NSCA should look into.
    ***Irish Misc Crew***

Out of my mind, back in 5 minutes.

ISSA CFT, SPN, FT, SSC, SFN
    NSCA CSCS

Gettingthere69 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Gettingthere69 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Gettingthere69 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Gettingthere69 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Gettingthere69 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Gettingthere69 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Gettingthere69 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Gettingthere69 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Gettingthere69 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Gettingthere69 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Gettingthere69 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

^^

with all tests like these, as well as National Massage Therapy Certification, I find that the practice questions are soo much easier. So I wouldn't be just too cocky. Questions are worded to trick you as well. I remember doing practice questions for a few national certifications cold, just to see how I did and I was like you is this a joke? but when I took the test it looked NOTHING like the study guides.

I passed though

Gl!

Big TX has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Big TX has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Big TX has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Big TX has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Big TX has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Big TX has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Big TX has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Big TX has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Big TX has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Big TX has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Big TX has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Where do I get same test questions answers for NSCA-CPT exam?

Howdy, powerlifter here from Texas opening up my own hardcore gym later in year. So thought best to get NSCA-CPT certified. I am studying now for this exam, and have flash cards with information to learn on each of em; wondering where I can get sample texts given by NSCA for their CPT exam? That question about stairclimbing sounded confusing and tricky.

Glad I saw your blog on here!

Big Tex Gym opening in Austin in late summer/fall 2010
    Squats are King of all lifts!

Registered User shimmeringpearl's Avatar
    shimmeringpearl will become famous soon enough. (+50) shimmeringpearl will become famous soon enough. (+50) shimmeringpearl will become famous soon enough. (+50) shimmeringpearl will become famous soon enough. (+50) shimmeringpearl will become famous soon enough. (+50) shimmeringpearl will become famous soon enough. (+50) shimmeringpearl will become famous soon enough. (+50) shimmeringpearl will become famous soon enough. (+50) shimmeringpearl will become famous soon enough. (+50) shimmeringpearl will become famous soon enough. (+50) shimmeringpearl will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Yeah, I think the difficulty of any test should be assessed as a whole rather than question by question as I think they're designed that way.

I would actually like to hear from someone who designs these tests although I doubt we'll see them on this forum...

If it is a scaled test then easier questions are counted less than the harder questions. A harder question will be worth 1.2 points and easier .8. So, whater the passing percentage is, you could need to get more than that number of questions right depending on the difficulty of the questions. In other words, you answer all the hard ones wrong and to pass you would need more than 70 easy ones right. Does that make sense?

JohnBobo has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) JohnBobo has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) JohnBobo has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) JohnBobo has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) JohnBobo has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) JohnBobo has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) JohnBobo has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) JohnBobo has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) JohnBobo has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) JohnBobo has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) JohnBobo has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Good luck with the test!

husband, father, trainer KyleAaron's Avatar
    KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000)
    Perhaps that suggests something about exercise science college education?