elitster has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) elitster has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) elitster has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) elitster has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) elitster has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) elitster has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) elitster has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) elitster has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) elitster has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) elitster has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) elitster has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Exercise Induced Headaches?

I finished up competing in a natural show 2 weeks ago and made it back to the gym after a needed break.

Upon returning to the gym during 3 of the past 4 workouts I have experienced excruciating headaches while training. I haven't stopped training altogether, but it's nearly debilitating.

It's a searing needle type pain through my entire head, but somewhat focused behind the left eye. It has happened during squats, pullups, shoulder presses....pretty much every exercise.

Has anyone else experienced this? Any options?

I have focused on breathing as well as keeping my mouth open while I'm training (not clenching my jaw) and that has helped somewhat.
    Also wondering if my blood pressure has changed now that I'm post competition, eating a significantly higher number of calories as well as taking in more sodium. Could that be another cause an increase in overall blood volume...
    "It's too easy to be average"

Spaghettii is not very helpful. (-500) Spaghettii is not very helpful. (-500) Spaghettii is not very helpful. (-500) Spaghettii is not very helpful. (-500) Spaghettii is not very helpful. (-500) Spaghettii is not very helpful. (-500) Spaghettii is not very helpful. (-500) Spaghettii is not very helpful. (-500) Spaghettii is not very helpful. (-500) Spaghettii is not very helpful. (-500) Spaghettii is not very helpful. (-500)
    feels bad man...could be you holding your breath.

Location: Cheltenham, Gloucestershire, United Kingdom (Great Britain)
    JasonDB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JasonDB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JasonDB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JasonDB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JasonDB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JasonDB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JasonDB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JasonDB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JasonDB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JasonDB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JasonDB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    This might be a question for a neurologist rather than a bb forum. I doubt most of us are qualified to diagnose the cause of a migraine, as there are a large number of things that can cause/trigger them.

LuckyNYC has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I've dealt with two different bouts of excursion headaches. Both times I noticed I had started slacking on my diet and water consumption. I'm not sure if these where purely to blame but both times I cut out my creatine and pre WO supp intake, cleaned up my diet and watched my water consumption. Both times I had to take a week off from lifting any weight (even doing pushups gave me horrible headaches). When I returned I was fine.

Not sure if this is related or not but when I was younger a suffered from migraine headaches so I might be more susceptible to getting excursion headaches.
    Last edited by LuckyNYC; 06-19-2009 at 11:43 AM.

elitster has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) elitster has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) elitster has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) elitster has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) elitster has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) elitster has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) elitster has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) elitster has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) elitster has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) elitster has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) elitster has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by LuckyNYC View Post
    I've dealt with two different bouts of excursion headaches. Both times I noticed started slacking on my diet and water consumption. I'm not sure if these where purely to blame but both times I cut out my creatine and pre WO supp intake, cleaned up my diet and watched my water consumption. Both times I had to take a week off from lifting any weight (even doing pushups gave me horrible headaches). When I returned I was fine.

Not sure if this is related or not but when I was younger a suffered from migraine headaches so I might be more susceptible to getting excursion headaches.
    Thank you... when you say 'watched my water consumption' are you saying getting enough h20 i.e. a gallon? Or are you saying you kept it to a minimum?

LuckyNYC has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by elitster View Post
    Thank you... when you say 'watched my water consumption' are you saying getting enough h20 i.e. a gallon? Or are you saying you kept it to a minimum?
    I made sure I was drinking enough. Even though I wasn't working out for a week I still consumed about 1g a day.

Drekkor has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Drekkor has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Drekkor has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Drekkor has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Drekkor has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Drekkor has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Drekkor has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Drekkor has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Drekkor has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Drekkor has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Drekkor has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I get those from time to time, not really a migraine but it does mess w/my vision. It seems to be due to lack of water.
    Witness the Final Days of My Sanity: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=144537581

Antpic is on a distinguished road. (+10) Antpic is on a distinguished road. (+10) Antpic is on a distinguished road. (+10) Antpic is on a distinguished road. (+10) Antpic is on a distinguished road. (+10) Antpic is on a distinguished road. (+10) Antpic is on a distinguished road. (+10) Antpic is on a distinguished road. (+10) Antpic is on a distinguished road. (+10) Antpic is on a distinguished road. (+10) Antpic is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    From your explanation id say it has to do with hydration too. Were you on diuretics or any other supplements for your comp? High BP def seems like it could be an issue too for the reasons you mentioned and possibly a cutting prohormone if you were in to that pre comp.
    Live Love Life Proceed Progress

DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Research 'exertional headaches' and see if the symptoms apply.
    Bodybuilding is 60% training and 50% diet. Yes that adds up to 110%, because that's what you should be giving it. Change the inside, and the physique will follow.

JosefRakichFitness.com JOSEF RAKICH's Avatar
    JOSEF RAKICH has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOSEF RAKICH has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOSEF RAKICH has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOSEF RAKICH has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOSEF RAKICH has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOSEF RAKICH has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOSEF RAKICH has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOSEF RAKICH has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOSEF RAKICH has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOSEF RAKICH has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOSEF RAKICH has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Diddt read, but i use to get headaches when i diddnt drink enough water in the gym.

Staying hydrated might help.

Hiding from ForumNature 400Lb Gorilla's Avatar
    400Lb Gorilla has the mod powerz 400Lb Gorilla has the mod powerz 400Lb Gorilla has the mod powerz 400Lb Gorilla has the mod powerz 400Lb Gorilla has the mod powerz 400Lb Gorilla has the mod powerz 400Lb Gorilla has the mod powerz 400Lb Gorilla has the mod powerz 400Lb Gorilla has the mod powerz 400Lb Gorilla has the mod powerz 400Lb Gorilla has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by DJAuto View Post
    Research 'exertional headaches' and see if the symptoms apply.
    sounds like this may be your problem. i usually get them too after i take a week or 2 off for whatever reason. they usually stop after a week or so

Originally Posted by Antpic View Post
    From your explanation id say it has to do with hydration too. Were you on diuretics or any other supplements for your comp? High BP def seems like it could be an issue too for the reasons you mentioned and possibly a cutting prohormone if you were in to that pre comp.
    Thank you, very well could be... wasn't on any PH's, but was on taraxatone... Then throw in two weeks of shameful eating that caused major fluff. I'm back into my 2nd week of training hard and the headaches do reocurr occasionally when training, but they definitely seem to be much much less intense and subsiding.

jstucker has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jstucker has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jstucker has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jstucker has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jstucker has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jstucker has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jstucker has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jstucker has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jstucker has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jstucker has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Water water water.

The sudden spike in sodium possibly coupled with less hydration would without a doubt mess with your head. Beyond that if you were loading on supps before and still trying to push the same weight you could easily be over-exerting yourself, magnifying an increased BP problem, which would definitely cause some serious headaches. Beyond that, common sources of migraines are stress and fatigue, so getting more sleep along with drinking more water may go a long way to helping, as well taking a look at how much you're lifting.