GatorEZ1913 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GatorEZ1913 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GatorEZ1913 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GatorEZ1913 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GatorEZ1913 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GatorEZ1913 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GatorEZ1913 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Question about Beginner's Soreness

Hey all,

I used to lift quite a bit before I got lazy and quit for a few years. I recently started back and have been doing a full body routine 3x a week as I read that would show the best results to a beginner. My current routine looks something like:

Squats 4 x 10
    Barbell Rows 4 x 10
    Bench Press 5 x 8
    Military Press 4 x 10
    Curls 2 x 10
    Triceps 2 x 10

I got this from one of the articles I found here at BB.com.

Anyways, each time I have been adding more weight each session to the point where its really tough to get those last few reps on the final set and I am exhausting myself by the end of the workout. Already though I am not sore the next day and it makes me wonder if I am not pushing myself hard enough or do I need to switch up my routine and maybe do like a Back/Bi, Chest/Tri, and a Legs day and really blast them. I like feeling the soreness the next day as it shows myself that I had a good workout and by soreness I don't mean like injury pain.

I hope this makes sense, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    ئەنسیکلۆپێدیایFlorida Gators Crewئەنسیکلۆپێدیای

Fifty+ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Fifty+ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Fifty+ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Fifty+ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Fifty+ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Fifty+ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Fifty+ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Fifty+ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Fifty+ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Fifty+ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Fifty+ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by GatorEZ1913 View Post
    Hey all,

I used to lift quite a bit before I got lazy and quit for a few years. I recently started back and have been doing a full body routine 3x a week as I read that would show the best results to a beginner. My current routine looks something like:

Squats 4 x 10
    Barbell Rows 4 x 10
    Bench Press 5 x 8
    Military Press 4 x 10
    Curls 2 x 10
    Triceps 2 x 10

I got this from one of the articles I found here at BB.com.

Anyways, each time I have been adding more weight each session to the point where its really tough to get those last few reps on the final set and I am exhausting myself by the end of the workout. Already though I am not sore the next day and it makes me wonder if I am not pushing myself hard enough or do I need to switch up my routine and maybe do like a Back/Bi, Chest/Tri, and a Legs day and really blast them. I like feeling the soreness the next day as it shows myself that I had a good workout and by soreness I don't mean like injury pain.

I hope this makes sense, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

There's nothing wrong with your routine. It would be advisable to use all compound exercises (front squat, Db squat, lunges, leg press, T-bar row, DB rows, seated Db sho press etc..) Try using the weight you are lifting for more time before you increase the weight. the longer you use the weight, the more your body becomes accustom to it. Time can be one of your best friends so use it. Nothing wrong with using the same weight for two weeks. Then add 5% and make sure you hit a specific rep range. Simply lifting heavy weight will not build muscle. It takes a fair amount of work to break down muscle fiber. Performing a little moderate cardio on your off days will help to send fresh oxygenated blood cells and nutrients to your sore muscles and will help speed recouvery.

communistpanda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) communistpanda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) communistpanda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) communistpanda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) communistpanda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) communistpanda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) communistpanda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) communistpanda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) communistpanda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) communistpanda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) communistpanda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    being sore does not mean you got a good work out in.

http://www.intense-workout.com/muscle_soreness.html

training4me has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    maybe doms ?

GatorEZ1913 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GatorEZ1913 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GatorEZ1913 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GatorEZ1913 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GatorEZ1913 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GatorEZ1913 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GatorEZ1913 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Thanks both of you for the quick reply. I have been doing cardio on the off days and have completely changed up my diet. That article link makes sense as I was worried that because I wasn't getting sore anymore that I was not getting as good of a workout.
    ئەنسیکلۆپێدیایFlorida Gators Crewئەنسیکلۆپێدیای

afranczyk is just really nice. (+1000) afranczyk is just really nice. (+1000) afranczyk is just really nice. (+1000) afranczyk is just really nice. (+1000) afranczyk is just really nice. (+1000) afranczyk is just really nice. (+1000) afranczyk is just really nice. (+1000) afranczyk is just really nice. (+1000) afranczyk is just really nice. (+1000) afranczyk is just really nice. (+1000) afranczyk is just really nice. (+1000)
    I noticed that tweaks to my form do make me more sore the next day. I'm also not on a beginner's routine such as yours (same compound exercises 3x a week). Depending on how long you've been on the routine, you may need to rest and switch it up.

Check these out these links to get a better idea on some form.
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=112127931
    http://thefitshow.tv/remastered/season1/episode3.html
    http://www.exrx.net/Lists/Directory.html

Checking out more from the fit show can be extremely useful. I like BB.com's source on how to master form vs people on youtube. Alot of fat or generally people with lousy muscle build's giving advice. You need to tread carefully there.

Muscle soreness can be from imbalances of H+ ions, or lactic acid. If your drinking plenty of water, getting your protein, have a good diet etc., then these things naturally help to negate the effects of muscle soreness. However, just because the muscle isn't sore, it doesn't mean it's recovered. Alot of people will say you can workout the same muscle group every 24-48 hours. You CAN do this, however, this does not mean that within that time, your body has completely healed. A good workout can have lasting damaging effects on muscle for 5 days or more.