Nhoj has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Smile New user with some questions on working out

Hey everyone, been reading these boards for awhile now, but never bothered to register.. well, until now.

I wanted to know how I can get the best results from working out at the stage I'm in now.
    I've been bodybuilding(I guess you could call it that) for around a year off and on.. really off and on, and I need a plan I can stick to.

I havent seen the best results, but I have seen results.
    I'm 17, 197 pounds and a large build, not exactly what you would call fat.. or skinny for that matter, just regular.

I've only been focusing on my pecs since the beginning, sure, I do workout other parts, mainly just biceps or shoulders, but I stick to my benching. I started out really low, like 85 lbs or something, just to get used to it, and since then I've gotten up to about 150.. dropped again and now am back up to 140 (Yes, I know I'm still weak). When I started with the 85, I did 10 reps, 4 sets, and now I'm doing about 6 reps, 4 sets of 135-140. Then I do decline dumbell presses, 40 pounds on each arm, 15 reps, 3-4 sets(I can do more, but need better dumbells, mine wont support much more weight).

I can lift about 70 lbs with barbell curls nearly perfect form, and that's about all the exercises I do regularly (which is once a week for both). Oh yes, and I dont work my legs, never have.. I do believe that's probably a problem, heh.

I know it's not much, but that's why I'm here. I'm looking for a 4 day schedule, involving pretty much one muscle per day, that I will reap the most benefits from.

Can anyone help me? Thanks a lot.
    Last edited by Nhoj; 04-14-2003 at 02:42 PM.

Forgot to mention, where I'm fairly built already I'm aiming more for definition, not mass. That's not to say I dont want any mass, I just want more definition than mass. Thanks all

Taturana has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Cool

Are you training at home? What equipment do you have?

Agile, Mobile and Hostile MYNAMEIZGREG's Avatar
    MYNAMEIZGREG is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MYNAMEIZGREG is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MYNAMEIZGREG is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MYNAMEIZGREG is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MYNAMEIZGREG is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MYNAMEIZGREG is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MYNAMEIZGREG is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MYNAMEIZGREG is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MYNAMEIZGREG is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MYNAMEIZGREG is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MYNAMEIZGREG is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally posted by Nhoj
    Forgot to mention, where I'm fairly built already I'm aiming more for definition, not mass. That's not to say I dont want any mass, I just want more definition than mass. Thanks all
    A low percent body fat will see you straight to your goal...start cutting.
    Making it my job to educate the younguns...
    --------------------------
    You didn't come here to make the choice. You've already made it. You're here to try to understand why you made it.

Yeah Taturana, I work out at home.
    I dont have a lot.. kinda small bench too, I was also wondering if that really makes a lot of difference? Like one of my friends bench is a fair bit bigger than mine. Like the bar is larger and the support bars are further apart on his.

As for cutting, I'd love to do it... just don't know what's really involved. Right now I'm trying to cut down on the pop and junk food I eat (kinda hard though) and gonna start doing cardio consistantly too.

Is there anyway I could find out my BF% at home? I have a feeling it will be quite high, heh.

Thanks for the help all!

EDIT: Heh, forgot to mention what equipment I do have at home.
    Well, I have a bench and a regular bar, a curved bar(not sure what it's called), two dumbells, a decline bench(for doing sit-ups and whatnot) and a couple hundred pounds of weight.

The bench has an attachable leg curling.. thing, heh, and attachable.. fly? bars. (Not sure what it's all called )
    Also have a punching bag and treadmill if that matters, heh.

thanks again,
    John
    Last edited by Nhoj; 04-15-2003 at 04:16 PM.

Argh, I have soo much to say, lol

Worked out last night and got my bench up to 145 for 6x4 and then moved down to 120 (10 reps, 7, 6,7)

I'm going up around 5 pounds per week if that helps, dont know when that'll stop though. I seem to be able to lift more, but body wont let me do it.. if that makes any sense

Poppa Pump is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Poppa Pump is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Poppa Pump is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Poppa Pump is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Poppa Pump is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Poppa Pump is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Poppa Pump is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Poppa Pump is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Poppa Pump is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Poppa Pump is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Poppa Pump is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    you can find ur body fat on activeusa.com, it's not too acurate though. I worked out in my garage for 3 years, so i know how that goes. Since you haven't been working out for that long, just try hitting each muscle group 3 times a week with really basic and compound movements? I think if you cut down, you'd be really dissapointed in your muscle mass. That's how it goes with my friends who thought they were really big, but much more of it turned out to be fat than they thought. Just focus on 1 motion for each body part. Do 3 sets of 8-12, and take them all to failure. For your lower body, try lunges, dumbell squats, or hacksquats. Chest just do flat bench, and if you want incline bench, don't do the declines yet. For your back you can do deadlifts, to focus lats you can do barbell or dumbell rows. Biceps - curls, triceps - skull crushers or overhead extensions, shoulders - shoulder press. Give that ago, and when the results slow, kick it to a split routine, and pick up the intensity. I think that since you haven't been lifting for too long, something like that would be sufficient, just using 1 workout/muscle group. Just remember to take them all to failure.