young has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

hyper-mobility in lower back

I am 57, have been lifting since my 30's and have a question about anybody else's experiences/advice with training and lower back pain from hyper-mobility @ my L4 & L5 vertabrae likely caused by falling injury as a young man (my physio has made this diagnosis, explaining that the vertabrae move in ways (sideways) other than the normal spinal bending/flexion which is causing nerve/muscle irritation). This may be a simplistic explanation but it works for me to have a mental image of the problem. I have had this for years and have cut out squats w/ any significant weight, bent-over rows and deadlifts; basically anything that might cause the vertabrae to shear sideways. Besides lifting (moderate to medium heavy weights, high reps, I am 190 @ 5'8", 18% BF?), I swim, bike, ski and kitesurf, generally without problems if I don't overdo it. When I lift or do sports, I try not to do twisting movements under load as this would (in my mental imaging), possibly cause the sideway movement in my L4 L5. I get regular massage therapy, hang upside down (traction of sorts) and stretch daily. Static postures for long periods (sitting) can be a problem.
    My questions are; am I missing anything?; is there anything else (excercises, therapies) I can do to deal w/ or improve this? I have thought about stopping lifting but my physio has recommended I continue.
    My apologies for the lengthy description and thank you for any responses.

chodan9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) chodan9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) chodan9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) chodan9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) chodan9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) chodan9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) chodan9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) chodan9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) chodan9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) chodan9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) chodan9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I have had back issues (not hyper mobility as you describe) a ruptured disk.
    I was very cautious when starting lifting. I did and still do a lot of back press movements on a seated back press machine. I graduated to bent rows, deadlifts etc. I worked my way up slowly.
    My back was once my weakest area in lifting, now its my strongest, but it literally took me 3 years, and I am still very careful with regards to what stress I put on it and at what angle.