bigd4 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

ideas for homemade cable machines

its a fact that many people cant get to the gym every day, for whatever reason they might have. most people, thought, have a set of dumbbells and maybe even a barbell at home that they can use, but this is often not enough to complete the training that they are personally trying to do at that time. what would add a lot more options into their workouts? cable machines.

but who can afford a cable machine? especially one thats worth using? well, why not make one at home...but how in the world would you do that? what i have started to do, is i got some rope and bought two pulleys at the local hardware store. i attached each pulley to a separate rafter in the garage, and have the rope hanging from there. what you can do for weight is attach(tie) the rope onto some sort of crate or sturdy tub or something, and just place weights (or any heavy objects) in it, to create however much resistance you need. so, this is perfect for doing any kind of tricep pulldown or lat pulldown or anything like that, which is the basic function of a pulley system, to be able to lift weights down instead of lifting them up against grativy.

we all know that cable machines are also good for doing things like bicep curls, and this is the problem im having. i dont know what i can attach another pulley to that is near the ground? can anyone give me any ideas for this?

Dylan

Uncle Ben is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Uncle Ben is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Uncle Ben is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Uncle Ben is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Uncle Ben is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Uncle Ben is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Uncle Ben is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Uncle Ben is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Uncle Ben is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Uncle Ben is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Uncle Ben is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    check the workout equipment forum for more info. some of those guys are really inventive

Atlas stones on a hill :) narcolepticpug's Avatar
    narcolepticpug will become famous soon enough. (+50) narcolepticpug will become famous soon enough. (+50) narcolepticpug will become famous soon enough. (+50) narcolepticpug will become famous soon enough. (+50) narcolepticpug will become famous soon enough. (+50) narcolepticpug will become famous soon enough. (+50) narcolepticpug will become famous soon enough. (+50) narcolepticpug will become famous soon enough. (+50) narcolepticpug will become famous soon enough. (+50) narcolepticpug will become famous soon enough. (+50) narcolepticpug will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by bigd4 View Post
    its a fact that many people cant get to the gym every day, for whatever reason they might have. most people, thought, have a set of dumbbells and maybe even a barbell at home that they can use, but this is often not enough to complete the training that they are personally trying to do at that time. what would add a lot more options into their workouts? cable machines.

but who can afford a cable machine? especially one thats worth using? well, why not make one at home...but how in the world would you do that? what i have started to do, is i got some rope and bought two pulleys at the local hardware store. i attached each pulley to a separate rafter in the garage, and have the rope hanging from there. what you can do for weight is attach(tie) the rope onto some sort of crate or sturdy tub or something, and just place weights (or any heavy objects) in it, to create however much resistance you need. so, this is perfect for doing any kind of tricep pulldown or lat pulldown or anything like that, which is the basic function of a pulley system, to be able to lift weights down instead of lifting them up against grativy.

we all know that cable machines are also good for doing things like bicep curls, and this is the problem im having. i dont know what i can attach another pulley to that is near the ground? can anyone give me any ideas for this?

Dylan
    well if you weld it will make it alot easyer for you to make one... im in the same procese as you. im working on a layout for a cable machine to do pull downs and rows.
    but if i were you i would use cable. not rope....

and i think you might be better off just buying a used machine cuz if you cant get iron for free(like the "scrap" from a jobsite or welding shop) its going to cost just as much to make a safe machine.. and if you cant weld. throw your idea away. saving $100 isnt worth injury or your life

Atlas stones on a hill :) narcolepticpug's Avatar
    narcolepticpug will become famous soon enough. (+50) narcolepticpug will become famous soon enough. (+50) narcolepticpug will become famous soon enough. (+50) narcolepticpug will become famous soon enough. (+50) narcolepticpug will become famous soon enough. (+50) narcolepticpug will become famous soon enough. (+50) narcolepticpug will become famous soon enough. (+50) narcolepticpug will become famous soon enough. (+50) narcolepticpug will become famous soon enough. (+50) narcolepticpug will become famous soon enough. (+50) narcolepticpug will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by bigd4 View Post

Dylan
    i see though that you are young and if your anything like me. you disregared safty and what anyone says and find a way to do it your was.. so if you need a pully on the ground i made this little scetch for you for a idea

hook a pully to the platform by some means (weld it) that way you can move the bottom of your pully system around. and as long as your not lifting a ton of weight your good...

if its in your garage like you said... you could get a concrete drill bits... drill a hole. get a concrete ancor and a piece of angle iron with a hole in each side... and put that in the ground.... do it right though.. iv seen those things come out of the celing with alot of weight on them and its dangerous
    Last edited by narcolepticpug; 06-21-2009 at 06:02 PM.

dantheman999 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dantheman999 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dantheman999 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dantheman999 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dantheman999 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dantheman999 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dantheman999 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dantheman999 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dantheman999 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dantheman999 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dantheman999 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    So do you really need a cable machine for a home gym? I don't get it. The only thing you can do with that is some pull downs and press downs. Just do pull ups and one of the trillion triceps exercises you can do with a dumbbell/barbell.