View Poll Results: Do you drink organic milk or normal milk?

Voters
15. You may not vote on this poll
  • Organic (rBGH/hormone free)

9 60.00%
  • Normal (rBGH/hormone)

6 40.00%
    varteju has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) varteju has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) varteju has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) varteju has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) varteju has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) varteju has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) varteju has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) varteju has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) varteju has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) varteju has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) varteju has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Milk or rBGH milk (US only)

I used to frequent this forum a lot but not so much lately since i stepped away from bb-ing and got into college-partying that stuff.

But now here i am, back again and thankful for muscle memory lol.

I respect this forum a lot, especially the nutrition section since people are actually interested in knowing what to eat, when, how much etc.

So since people here seem to be so knowledgeable, how pink salmon has more omega 3 acids than tuna (random example) and very detailed about nutritional facts and stuff...i would like to ask a simple question.

I love milk and i'm sure many of you do. But how many of you in the USA drink organic milk rather than the (what has saddly become 'normal') milk? And by normal i mean the unlabeled milk obtained from cows that on a daily/weekly basis are injected in the brain with hormone to produce more milk? That milk that's at walmart and most supermarkets...the cheaper one.

Many of my friends shrug their shoulders and dont pay much attention to it "I've drank it all my life and i'm fine"...this ignorant attitude. But i'm wondering here, in the bodybuilding community, where people care about their bodies and what goes into them...do you guys drink milk from normal cows or those injected in the brain?
    Your gonna eat lightning and your gonna crap thunder Mickey
    Nothing is real if you don't believe in who you are!-
    Rocky

Upon completion of each workout, you can and should feel proud, for you have just moved one step closer towards reaching your full potential and the ultimate goal of and being the best you can be.—Mike Berry

papasmurf2217 is just really nice. (+1000) papasmurf2217 is just really nice. (+1000) papasmurf2217 is just really nice. (+1000) papasmurf2217 is just really nice. (+1000) papasmurf2217 is just really nice. (+1000) papasmurf2217 is just really nice. (+1000) papasmurf2217 is just really nice. (+1000) papasmurf2217 is just really nice. (+1000) papasmurf2217 is just really nice. (+1000) papasmurf2217 is just really nice. (+1000) papasmurf2217 is just really nice. (+1000)

Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by varteju View Post
    I used to frequent this forum a lot but not so much lately since i stepped away from bb-ing and got into college-partying that stuff.

But now here i am, back again and thankful for muscle memory lol.

I respect this forum a lot, especially the nutrition section since people are actually interested in knowing what to eat, when, how much etc.

So since people here seem to be so knowledgeable, how pink salmon has more omega 3 acids than tuna (random example) and very detailed about nutritional facts and stuff...i would like to ask a simple question.

I love milk and i'm sure many of you do. But how many of you in the USA drink organic milk rather than the (what has saddly become 'normal') milk? And by normal i mean the unlabeled milk obtained from cows that on a daily/weekly basis are injected in the brain with hormone to produce more milk? That milk that's at walmart and most supermarkets...the cheaper one.

Many of my friends shrug their shoulders and dont pay much attention to it "I've drank it all my life and i'm fine"...this ignorant attitude. But i'm wondering here, in the bodybuilding community, where people care about their bodies and what goes into them...do you guys drink milk from normal cows or those injected in the brain?
    My thoughts from here - >> http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=116720961

Originally Posted by Emma-Leigh
    Originally Posted by xXBoStErXx View Post
    Is there no evidence that the hormones in milk are bad for you? I'm just curious because I've read it a few places etc, and one thing I know for sure is I hate spreading misinformation.

In your opinion is it beneficial to avoid dairy products? Or limit them? Or eat organic /raw/ etc.?

Sorry for a semi-threadjack, but it's on topic.
    The concern re 'hormones' in milk is completely dependent on where you are in the world and what hormones you are concerned about.

They use a few different things -
    growth hormone
    reproductive hormones

For the use of BGH (bovine growth hormone) in dairy cows - this has been illegal in Aust and Europe for a while now... So it is only really a concern in the US areas. But with that said - the evidence out suggests that there is no concern re growth hormone coming through in the milk (it does, however, increase infection risk in the animals -> so they tend to be on more antibiotics - but even then, there are with-holding periods for any animal on medication/ antibiotics regarding what can go into the milk vat/truck).

For reproductive hormones - some people are concerned re increased levels of these (and ?? infertility in females drinking the milk) <- but the research is also not suggestive of this on a whole.

With regards to avoiding dairy.... I eat stacks of dairy (although I am in Aust). But my opinion is that, unless you have some intolerance or allergy, then IMHO there is no aesthetic reason not to include dairy in your diet in sensible amounts. For athletics and performance - Dairy (eg: milk) is also seen to be very benificial in PWO recovery and is a good source of calcuim and other nutrients.

For organic - I think that there are definately benefits in relation to the environment... but whether or not it is healthier for 'you'? It is still not clear.

Raw - probably wouldn't touch it and muchly like mine after pasturisation and other treatments. After knowing all the 'things' in milk normally - I like that what I have has been treated to remove said ick.

varteju has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) varteju has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) varteju has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) varteju has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) varteju has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) varteju has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) varteju has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) varteju has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) varteju has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) varteju has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) varteju has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Okay! I think you put too much trust into all this research. I have a friend who does genetic engineering and he told me that this rBGH and GMO thing is just crazy. For example, if you take a cow and take her to two buckets, one with normal corn and the other with genetically modified corn, she will chose regular, untreated corn!

But to keep it simple, because the simpler the better...why would you drink milk from a rBGH treated cow, rather than a normal one? If research says that none are better/worse, why even begin this injecting-cows-in-the-brain scenario? A cow treated with rBGH is not the same as a normal cow...that right there should make ppl wonder...wtf is the point...we don't need more milk. This whole rBGH thing revolves around money and that's it...
    Rocky

Upon completion of each workout, you can and should feel proud, for you have just moved one step closer towards reaching your full potential and the ultimate goal of and being the best you can be.—Mike Berry

jayce_p will become famous soon enough. (+50) jayce_p will become famous soon enough. (+50) jayce_p will become famous soon enough. (+50) jayce_p will become famous soon enough. (+50) jayce_p will become famous soon enough. (+50) jayce_p will become famous soon enough. (+50) jayce_p will become famous soon enough. (+50) jayce_p will become famous soon enough. (+50) jayce_p will become famous soon enough. (+50) jayce_p will become famous soon enough. (+50) jayce_p will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    lol, why US only? haha
    Life is great.

Holyspokes is a name known to all. (+5000) Holyspokes is a name known to all. (+5000) Holyspokes is a name known to all. (+5000) Holyspokes is a name known to all. (+5000) Holyspokes is a name known to all. (+5000) Holyspokes is a name known to all. (+5000) Holyspokes is a name known to all. (+5000) Holyspokes is a name known to all. (+5000) Holyspokes is a name known to all. (+5000) Holyspokes is a name known to all. (+5000) Holyspokes is a name known to all. (+5000)
    No milk at the moment.. Planning on drinking raw milk from a local farm when I get back to Colorado (which is essentially organic, but not certified)
    ENCLAVE
    Fitness & Nutrition
    CISSN
    CSCS
    CF-L1

Cyclist, Sprinter, Foodie.

getgot211 is a name known to all. (+5000) getgot211 is a name known to all. (+5000) getgot211 is a name known to all. (+5000) getgot211 is a name known to all. (+5000) getgot211 is a name known to all. (+5000) getgot211 is a name known to all. (+5000) getgot211 is a name known to all. (+5000) getgot211 is a name known to all. (+5000) getgot211 is a name known to all. (+5000) getgot211 is a name known to all. (+5000) getgot211 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    what Emma said. and you don't have to go organic to get rBGH free, not that I think it matters.
    "Why would you want to eat a vegetable unless it was wrapped in bacon?" Michael Symon

Alwyn Cosgrove steals other peoples work.
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=124530811

US only because...well you're from Canada and US milk is banned there to begin with.

Nice, back home I used to go across the street, the neighbors would milk the cow and i would buy it in a 2 liter bottle...then boil it and drink it.
    Rocky

Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    US only because...well you're from Canada and US milk is banned there to begin with.

Nice, back home I used to go across the street, the neighbors would milk the cow and i would buy it in a 2 liter bottle...then boil it and drink it.
    Living in Aust I don't need to worry about hormones in milk at all (we also don't use hormones in Poultry either).

But if I were in the US, although the evidence out suggests that the bGH doesn't pass into milk... It still *doesn't sit right* with me - and I'd probably go for happy cow organic milk (not raw.... still treated).

I grew up on a farm..... Next door neighbours had a milking cow.... We used to go out of a cold morning and milk straight into a mug filled with milo.... Best start to the day EVER when combined with eggs from her hen house, and the amazing sauteed tomato's from the vege patch!

jayce_p will become famous soon enough. (+50) jayce_p will become famous soon enough. (+50) jayce_p will become famous soon enough. (+50) jayce_p will become famous soon enough. (+50) jayce_p will become famous soon enough. (+50) jayce_p will become famous soon enough. (+50) jayce_p will become famous soon enough. (+50) jayce_p will become famous soon enough. (+50) jayce_p will become famous soon enough. (+50) jayce_p will become famous soon enough. (+50) jayce_p will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    US only because...well you're from Canada and US milk is banned there to begin with. .
    Oh really? I was unaware of that. Thank you for clearing that up.
    Life is great.

R[̲̅ə̲̅٨̲̅٥̲̅٦̲̅]ution snwdevl10's Avatar
    snwdevl10 is a name known to all. (+5000) snwdevl10 is a name known to all. (+5000) snwdevl10 is a name known to all. (+5000) snwdevl10 is a name known to all. (+5000) snwdevl10 is a name known to all. (+5000) snwdevl10 is a name known to all. (+5000) snwdevl10 is a name known to all. (+5000) snwdevl10 is a name known to all. (+5000) snwdevl10 is a name known to all. (+5000) snwdevl10 is a name known to all. (+5000) snwdevl10 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by Holyspokes View Post
    No milk at the moment.. Planning on drinking raw milk from a local farm when I get back to Colorado (which is essentially organic, but not certified)
    I thought organic milk just came from "organic" cows, but is still processed the same as regular milk (ie pasteurized and homogenized), whereas raw milk isn't processed at all? I may be wrong though.

Personally OP I drink the regular cheap stuff from the store. I don't drink very much anyway, but most of what I've read has said there isn't much difference in the milk from cows treated with rBGH and those not treated.

Originally Posted by scartissuex View Post
    I thought organic milk just came from "organic" cows, but is still processed the same as regular milk (ie pasteurized and homogenized), whereas raw milk isn't processed at all? I may be wrong though.
    This is correct.

Organic = organic (that is, the animals are raised without exposure to GM foods, pesticides and other chemicals during their time on the farm)

Raw = not processed (not pasterised/ homogenised) [ = full of bugs and other things ]
    ^
    t'is illegal in Australia to sell milk completely raw (due to risk of disease such as TB and Brucellosis).

Djin is just really nice. (+1000) Djin is just really nice. (+1000) Djin is just really nice. (+1000) Djin is just really nice. (+1000) Djin is just really nice. (+1000) Djin is just really nice. (+1000) Djin is just really nice. (+1000) Djin is just really nice. (+1000) Djin is just really nice. (+1000) Djin is just really nice. (+1000) Djin is just really nice. (+1000)
    Organic milk here. To me, it taste so much better.

Holyspokes is a name known to all. (+5000) Holyspokes is a name known to all. (+5000) Holyspokes is a name known to all. (+5000) Holyspokes is a name known to all. (+5000) Holyspokes is a name known to all. (+5000) Holyspokes is a name known to all. (+5000) Holyspokes is a name known to all. (+5000) Holyspokes is a name known to all. (+5000) Holyspokes is a name known to all. (+5000) Holyspokes is a name known to all. (+5000) Holyspokes is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by scartissuex View Post
    What emma said, I wasn't implying that raw milk is organic, just that their farm and standards almost entirely are.
    ENCLAVE
    Fitness & Nutrition
    CISSN
    CSCS
    CF-L1

Cyclist, Sprinter, Foodie.

R[̲̅ə̲̅٨̲̅٥̲̅٦̲̅]ution snwdevl10's Avatar
    snwdevl10 is a name known to all. (+5000) snwdevl10 is a name known to all. (+5000) snwdevl10 is a name known to all. (+5000) snwdevl10 is a name known to all. (+5000) snwdevl10 is a name known to all. (+5000) snwdevl10 is a name known to all. (+5000) snwdevl10 is a name known to all. (+5000) snwdevl10 is a name known to all. (+5000) snwdevl10 is a name known to all. (+5000) snwdevl10 is a name known to all. (+5000) snwdevl10 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by Holyspokes View Post
    What emma said, I wasn't implying that raw milk is organic, just that their farm and standards almost entirely are.
    Oh, gotchya. I was just pointing out that one is processed while the other isn't...I don't think I could bring myself to drink the raw stuff to be honest, some people swear by it though.