TokyoLifter has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Thumbs up Geting back into lifting: some questions

Hi all! First post.

I'm 30, and used to lift a lot back in college and shortly after. I actually used to be pretty active on BB.com in 2005-2006 or so, but anyway. I trained mostly powerlifting-style, with some o-lifts thrown in, but it's been about 5 or 6 years since I picked up a barbell. I started back up in February, using the Stronglifts 5x5 program. I've been itching to work on the o-lifts, but I know I need to ease into it (my form on them was never very good before).

So far, I'm up to a 90kg back squat, 110kg deadlift, 70kg bench press, 60kg press, all for 5 sets of 5. Not very Strong Lifts, but I'll get there. Haven't tested any maxes.

I'm not looking to compete in anything for now. I just enjoy watching the numbers go up, getting bigger and stronger. So I'm not trying to maximize for the best weightlifting total, or PL total, or CF total, whatever, just a good all-around program with a fairly significant oly focus. I've read things like Pendlay's Training for the Supertotal, but for right now I can only manage 3 days per week (I'm trying to get my company off the ground, so time is limited). I'm trying to create a sort of 3 day hybrid oly/powerlifting program.

This is what I'm thinking:

Monday

Snatch
    CJ
    Back Squat 3x5
    Press 3x5
    Pull-ups 3xReps

Wednesday

Snatch
    CJ
    Front Squat 3x5
    Bench 3x5
    BB Row 3x5
    Deadlift 1x5

Friday

Snatch
    CJ
    Back Squat 3x5
    Push Press 5x3
    Chin-ups 3xReps

I'll do various accessory work like face pulls, abs, maybe some other stuff at the end of each workout if I'm not too wiped out, and I do some running, sprints, and other conditioning work on Tuesday/Thursday/Saturday. Sometimes. I'm doing some yoga here and there too. Flexibility is an issue, and I enjoy it when I can find the time.

For now, I'm thinking about just doing Pendlay's teaching progressions for the snatch and CJ, so no weight just yet. Later, I'm thinking of working up to doing 8x2 on the snatch and 8x1 for the CJ, a la Dan John's "neophyte" program. Always was a big fan of Dan's stuff.

So Question #1 is: how does the program look? Any advice is welcome, whether I've made a glaring mistake or just little suggestions.

Question #2: On Friday instead of my usual Stronglifts workout, I did some power cleans, push presses, and front squats, just to feel it out. Worked up to 60kg for a double on power cleans, 65kg for a triple on push press, and 85 for a triple on front squat. Not having done them for so long, I was happy, but my knees bothered me a bit over the weekend. I'm assuming this is a sign that I need to back off on the weight and ease into it, yes? I haven't gotten a pair of weightlifting shoes yet, so I'm lifting in chucks for now. Could that be it? I used to front squat in chucks, but I was much stronger then and a bit younger.

Anyway, that's all for now. Thanks!

conciouslifter is on a distinguished road. (+10) conciouslifter is on a distinguished road. (+10) conciouslifter is on a distinguished road. (+10) conciouslifter is on a distinguished road. (+10) conciouslifter is on a distinguished road. (+10) conciouslifter is on a distinguished road. (+10) conciouslifter is on a distinguished road. (+10) conciouslifter is on a distinguished road. (+10) conciouslifter is on a distinguished road. (+10) conciouslifter is on a distinguished road. (+10) conciouslifter is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Q #1 : I would take the deadlifts out of Wednesday and put them in Friday and i wouldn't back squat on Friday. Otherwise it's looking good to me. Reason being for the above is it seems like too much heavy volume.

Q# 2: The knee thing is probably just as a result of being rusty and not used to the movements. As long as it's not a sharp pain, keep going and pay attention to how it responds over time. Definitely get lifting shoes. half your work out is snatch and C&J so it's a worthwhile investment and makes you more stable which is a safety thing too.

Oh, and welcome back to lifting

TokyoLifter has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Oh, something I should have mentioned. I'm working out at a $hitty 24 clone in Tokyo. Chrome and fern land, as it were. There's only one barbell (in a power rack, fortunately!), and not much space. There's no dropping weights, so I won't really be able to add much to the bar until I find another gym. I'll be at this gym for another 6 weeks or so, after which I'll be back in the States for 7 weeks. During that time I'll probably find a crossfit gym to work out in, and maybe I'll get a coach to help me with my form. I'll start pushing the weight up while I'm in the States. When I get back in August, there's a crossfit gym here that I can work out in during open gym time, so it should be no problem. Hard to find decent gyms here, probably partially because my Japanese isn't where it needs to be yet. (Speaking of which, if anyone can recommend any other oly-friendly gyms in Tokyo, I'd love to hear about it!)

Point is, for now I'm focusing more on technique with the oly lifts than on weights, so I'd think imagine won't have much impact on the volume of the rest of the program. My idea was to have a basic program for the strength lifts (squat, press, and either row or chin every day, deadlifts once a week), but one that includes front squats and push presses as well, unlike stronglifts et al. However, I can see that maybe bent over rows and deadlifts on the same day might not be a great idea. What about:

Monday

Snatch (technique work)
    CJ (technique work)
    Back Squat 3x5
    Push Press 5x3
    Pull-ups 3xReps

Wednesday

Snatch (technique work)
    CJ (technique work)
    Front Squat 3x5
    Bench 3x5
    BB Row 3x5

Friday

Snatch (technique work)
    CJ (technique work)
    Back Squat 3x5
    Press 3x5
    Deadlift 1x5
    Chin-ups 3xReps

Thanks for the help!

conciouslifter is on a distinguished road. (+10) conciouslifter is on a distinguished road. (+10) conciouslifter is on a distinguished road. (+10) conciouslifter is on a distinguished road. (+10) conciouslifter is on a distinguished road. (+10) conciouslifter is on a distinguished road. (+10) conciouslifter is on a distinguished road. (+10) conciouslifter is on a distinguished road. (+10) conciouslifter is on a distinguished road. (+10) conciouslifter is on a distinguished road. (+10) conciouslifter is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by TokyoLifter View Post
    Oh, something I should have mentioned. I'm working out at a $hitty 24 clone in Tokyo. Chrome and fern land, as it were. There's only one barbell (in a power rack, fortunately!), and not much space. There's no dropping weights, so I won't really be able to add much to the bar until I find another gym. I'll be at this gym for another 6 weeks or so, after which I'll be back in the States for 7 weeks. During that time I'll probably find a crossfit gym to work out in, and maybe I'll get a coach to help me with my form. I'll start pushing the weight up while I'm in the States. When I get back in August, there's a crossfit gym here that I can work out in during open gym time, so it should be no problem. Hard to find decent gyms here, probably partially because my Japanese isn't where it needs to be yet. (Speaking of which, if anyone can recommend any other oly-friendly gyms in Tokyo, I'd love to hear about it!)

Point is, for now I'm focusing more on technique with the oly lifts than on weights, so I'd think imagine won't have much impact on the volume of the rest of the program. My idea was to have a basic program for the strength lifts (squat, press, and either row or chin every day, deadlifts once a week), but one that includes front squats and push presses as well, unlike stronglifts et al. However, I can see that maybe bent over rows and deadlifts on the same day might not be a great idea. What about:

Monday

Snatch (technique work)
    CJ (technique work)
    Back Squat 3x5
    Push Press 5x3
    Pull-ups 3xReps

Wednesday

Snatch (technique work)
    CJ (technique work)
    Front Squat 3x5
    Bench 3x5
    BB Row 3x5

Friday

Snatch (technique work)
    CJ (technique work)
    Back Squat 3x5
    Press 3x5
    Deadlift 1x5
    Chin-ups 3xReps

Thanks for the help!
    At gyms like that you can easily do snatch pulls and clean pulls and work on your technique and strength without dropping the bar. Routine still looks solid, just make sure you stick to sensible percentages