Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    Arbex is just really nice. (+1000) Arbex is just really nice. (+1000) Arbex is just really nice. (+1000) Arbex is just really nice. (+1000) Arbex is just really nice. (+1000) Arbex is just really nice. (+1000) Arbex is just really nice. (+1000) Arbex is just really nice. (+1000) Arbex is just really nice. (+1000) Arbex is just really nice. (+1000) Arbex is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by JAGERBOY View Post
    Can any theists give any logical reasons as to why their version of god would not reveal him self to everyone? And I don't want some silly response about how he has, we just have to "choose" to believe it. Im talking, no doubt about it, adequate revelation to everyone in the world. None of this tip toeing, ambiguous non-sense about how you can see god in a beautiful sunset.

If your god is all powerful, and has the ability to reveal himself to everyone to the point where there is no doubt, what logical reason can you give as to why he would not?
    Religious people do not have the left hemisphere of their brain.

It's a disease called ****weouttaluckitis. They are usually born without the left part of their brains.

Not much you can do.

LULZ, jk (no negz)

TranceNRG has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TranceNRG has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TranceNRG has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TranceNRG has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TranceNRG has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TranceNRG has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TranceNRG has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TranceNRG has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TranceNRG has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TranceNRG has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TranceNRG has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Why do you keep asking questions about definitions that should be fairly standard and easy to agree upon. Obviously a being thats all powerful is a being that has all powers.
    What does it mean to have all powers?
    What are these powers? Creating a rock so heavy that He can't even lift? Making the universe fit into an egg?

I ask questions about definitions, because contrary to your claim, the diverging points are right there, the definitions. They are not fairly standard and easy to understand.

No. Using your logic, at all points they are.
    No, upto a certain point.

Meaning when we describe him as loving, caring, or just for example...it would mean the same thing it did if I were describing you in that fashion. If god doesn't have to abide by what most people would take those words as meaning when applied to a human, then its useless to try and discuss anything about gods actions.
    God doesn't have to abide by what most people take those words to mean when applied to humans. On the same note, that does not make any discussion about God useless. You're presenting a false dichotomy. ... either God has to apply to my definitions or it's useless to talk about God...

There is a third option... looking to see how such concepts could be applied to God, Learning to understand God from a non-anthropomorphic perspective.

Do you think your parents are concerened with what you think about them? Do you think your parents would hope you love them? Would you describe your parents as caring or loving?
    Yes.
    However, these questions are directly linked to the previous point.
    God doesn't abide by what we apply to humans.

I don't follow the analogy.
    A programmer isn't responsible for the errors if the user did not follow the manual properly.
    A programmer isn't responsible for the negative outcomes if the user didn't follow the manual properly.
    And David said, "The Lord who delivered me from the paw of the lion and from the paw of the bear, He will deliver me from the hand of this Philistine." And Saul said to David, "Go, and may the Lord be with you." (1 Samuel 17:37)

Thus David prevailed over the Philistine with a sling and a stone, and he struck the Philistine and killed him; but there was no sword in David’s hand. (1 Samuel 17:50)

geeseman is not very helpful. (-500) geeseman is not very helpful. (-500) geeseman is not very helpful. (-500) geeseman is not very helpful. (-500) geeseman is not very helpful. (-500) geeseman is not very helpful. (-500) geeseman is not very helpful. (-500) geeseman is not very helpful. (-500) geeseman is not very helpful. (-500) geeseman is not very helpful. (-500) geeseman is not very helpful. (-500)
    Can any theists give any logical reasons as to why their version of god would not reveal him self to everyone?
    I'm not a theist, but rational thought leads me to believe that it would be logical for god to not reveal himself to everyone if he was a sadistic, petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomaniacal, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully.

If god was all of those things, I could see how it would be logical of him to allow the level of suffering, death, pain, confusion, hatred and fear to become the norm for his so called creations. I could imagine that he'd get his kicks out of being the invisible puppetmaster.

Arbex is just really nice. (+1000) Arbex is just really nice. (+1000) Arbex is just really nice. (+1000) Arbex is just really nice. (+1000) Arbex is just really nice. (+1000) Arbex is just really nice. (+1000) Arbex is just really nice. (+1000) Arbex is just really nice. (+1000) Arbex is just really nice. (+1000) Arbex is just really nice. (+1000) Arbex is just really nice. (+1000)
    Oh hai, my name is Epicurus and I logically checkmated all your Gods.

Thanks for listening.

Have a nice day now.

iliketodoit is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iliketodoit is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iliketodoit is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iliketodoit is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iliketodoit is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iliketodoit is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iliketodoit is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iliketodoit is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iliketodoit is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iliketodoit is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iliketodoit is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by ONtop888 View Post
    We would have no free will in the matter, no ability to make a choice fashioned in faith, if He used His omnipotence to force us into believing in Him. We are not worthy of Him revealing Himself to us in a magnificient fashion. He already sent His Son to suffer and die for us, the spreading of His message is the responsibility of all who hear it, to proclaim it and spread the Gospel to others.

God does reveal Himself to everyone at multiple times in everyones lives. Can you honestly say that there has never been anything in your life or your intellect that has made you question His existence?
    stopped reading there because you're already wrong, at least according to your own beliefs.

Watch the triangle brah JAGERBOY's Avatar
    JAGERBOY has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JAGERBOY has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JAGERBOY has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JAGERBOY has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JAGERBOY has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JAGERBOY has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JAGERBOY has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JAGERBOY has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JAGERBOY has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JAGERBOY has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JAGERBOY has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by TranceNRG View Post
    What does it mean to have all powers?
    What are these powers? Creating a rock so heavy that He can't even lift? Making the universe fit into an egg?

I ask questions about definitions, because contrary to your claim, the diverging points are right there, the definitions. They are not fairly standard and easy to understand.
    I already answered your question so Im not going to play this game. Im not aware of anyone disagreeing on what the word "all" means or the word "power(ful)" means.

No, upto a certain point.
    No, not at all, as your next comment clearly demonstrates.

God doesn't have to abide by what most people take those words to mean when applied to humans. On the same note, that does not make any discussion about God useless. You're presenting a false dichotomy. ... either God has to apply to my definitions or it's useless to talk about God...
    They are not "my" definitions. They are the standard definitions found in any dictionary.

Yes.
    However, these questions are directly linked to the previous point.
    God doesn't abide by what we apply to humans.
    Then it is useless to have any conversation about god. You keep repeating yourself and proving my point. If doesn't have to abide by it, then anything we say about god is erroneous. How are you not getting this simple point?

A programmer isn't responsible for the errors if the user did not follow the manual properly.
    A programmer isn't responsible for the negative outcomes if the user didn't follow the manual properly.
    No, I "get" what you are saying, I just don't get how its analogous or relevant to my original question.

ONtop888 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ONtop888 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ONtop888 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ONtop888 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ONtop888 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ONtop888 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ONtop888 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ONtop888 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ONtop888 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ONtop888 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ONtop888 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by iliketodoit View Post
    stopped reading there because you're already wrong, at least according to your own beliefs.
    It's unfortunate that you made your statement before you finished reading because the rest of the sentence completes the meaning, so you're incorrect. If God forced you to believe, then you would not have free will, period. The only way that that view is compatible with Christianity is if you are a hard line Calvinist that believes in double-predestination.
    Virile agitur

mntbikedude has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mntbikedude has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mntbikedude has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mntbikedude has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mntbikedude has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mntbikedude has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mntbikedude has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mntbikedude has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mntbikedude has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mntbikedude has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mntbikedude has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I guess it's really looking at life as a test. Sure it would be easy to be good if God appeared in the sky each day. And meted out punishment the moment you did wrong or blessings the moment you did good.

The problem is that we wouldn't do the right things for the right reasons. We wouldn't do them out of the pure desire to be good but rather out of fear. (although that is why some religious do what they do anyway)

So yeah it makes sense that he doesn't show himself. Also I agree that you don't have to believe in God to live a good life. Many of you here have shown that over and over again.
    You can, and need to find a ground that you know you are suppose to stand on.. hence, stand your ground, this is the place where you know everything is as it should be for you. If you stand in a place where you know in your heart things are wrong, most things around you will never be right.

Rule number one, never work at being what another man defines as being "honorable", Honorable is is being true to what you know and and doing what you know is right for you..

Nagalfar

JAGERBOY has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JAGERBOY has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JAGERBOY has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JAGERBOY has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JAGERBOY has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JAGERBOY has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JAGERBOY has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JAGERBOY has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JAGERBOY has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JAGERBOY has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JAGERBOY has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by mntbikedude View Post
    I guess it's really looking at life as a test. Sure it would be easy to be good if God appeared in the sky each day. And meted out punishment the moment you did wrong or blessings the moment you did good.

The problem is that we wouldn't do the right things for the right reasons. We wouldn't do them out of the pure desire to be good but rather out of fear. (although that is why some religious do what they do anyway)

So yeah it makes sense that he doesn't show himself. Also I agree that you don't have to believe in God to live a good life. Many of you here have shown that over and over again.
    That really doesn't make sense to me. What makes people "do the right things for the right reasons" when they believe a god exists based on faith instead of knowledge? I don't see the distinction there.

JolietKev is a name known to all. (+5000) JolietKev is a name known to all. (+5000) JolietKev is a name known to all. (+5000) JolietKev is a name known to all. (+5000) JolietKev is a name known to all. (+5000) JolietKev is a name known to all. (+5000) JolietKev is a name known to all. (+5000) JolietKev is a name known to all. (+5000) JolietKev is a name known to all. (+5000) JolietKev is a name known to all. (+5000) JolietKev is a name known to all. (+5000)
    John 17:3, "And this is life eternal, that they might know Thee, the only true God, and Jesus Christ Whom Thou hast sent."

In our previous pamphlet we developed some of the important ideas contained in Jeremiah 9:23-24
    where we learned that although all boasting is not forbidden by the Lord, He is very insistent that boasting
    be in one thing alone. A man may not boast or glory in his wisdom, his might, or his riches; this kind of
    boasting is actually in self and in what self has done. It is pride and therefore sin. Jeremiah goes on to say
    that anyone who glories must glory in this, "that he understandeth and knoweth God, that He is the Lord
    which exerciseth lovingkindess, judgment, and righteousness in the earth: for in these thins I delight, saith
    the Lord." this is not head knowledge, but hear knowledge. this is not emotional feeling, but is
    emphatically doctrinal in content. this is not knowledge derived from creation, but very clearly derived
    from the Holy Scripture and its preaching.

But can we really know God? Is it possible to understand and know God as He really is in
    Himself? the atheist says there is no God, and therefore it is pointless to speak of knowing Him. the
    agnostic says we can not know whether there is a God or not; and since we can't know whether there is a
    God we cannot know anything about Him either. The Jew, the one who holds to Judaism or the religion of
    the synagogue, holds that the only place to learn about God is the Old Testament. We'll see that such a
    response is hopelessly wrong too. What do we say? Can we really know God? the child of God with faith
    in the Holy Scripture says, "Yes! God is knowable!" That's the subject we want to look into with you
    briefly. The text quoted above will show us the way.

In John 17 Jesus is speaking, in fact, Jesus is praying to the Triune God and Father the night in which He
    was betrayed. In verse 2 He speaks of giving eternal life to as many as God has given unto Him. And in
    verse 3 he defines that life very beautifully: "And this is life eternal, that they might know Thee, the only
    true God, and Jesus Christ Whom Thou hast sent." How can a man attain unto such a blessed knowledge?
    Is it possible for man with his wisdom, learning, and intellect to reach up and find God, ascend up to God,
    and know Him? Will the scientific method of the laboratory show who and what God is? Never. For when
    Jesus asks His disciples who they say He is, after hearing all kinds of answers the people have been giving,
    Peter responds for all the disciples, "Thou art the Christ, the Son of the living God!!" Then Jesus speaks
    this instructive word: "Flesh and blood hath not revealed it unto thee, but My Father which is in heaven."
    this means that the only possibility of a man ever really knowing God is through divine revelation. Man
    does not reach up to find God and decide who God is, but God reached down to man's level, God
    condescends to us, and speaking very simply and clearly, tells us Who and What He is. Unless God so
    speaks, man cannot know God.

We ought to recognize that God makes Himself known in two ways, the first of which is His
    marvelous creation. God shows forth of Himself through every creature He has formed and through His
    preservation and governance of the universe. Psalm 19 makes clear that this is a speech of God: "The
    heavens declare the glory of God; and the firmament showeth His handiwork. Day unto day uttereth
    speech, and night unto night sheweth knowledge. There is no speech or language where there voice is not
    heard." All men everywhere see and hear this speech! But when we face the question, What does man gain
    from this revelation of God, we learn from Romans 1 that this divine speech in creation carries a very
    limited message. Romans 1:20 states, "For the invisible things of God from the creation of the world are
    clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even His eternal power and Godhead: so that
    they are without excuse." The apostle Paul is saying there that all a man can learn from creation itself is
    that there is a God, a God of power, a God Who must be served and thanked. No more than that! Paul also
    makes plain that God's purpose with revealing Himself through creation to everyone everywhere is that this
    revelation is sufficient to leave them without an excuse. When men persist in unbelief and sin, God can
    justly condemn them forever on the basis of the knowledge they gained of Him through the things that are
    made. Man's reaction to this speech of God is to refuse to glorify or thank Him, and to take the glory of
    God revealed so wondrously in creation, and change it into the image of man, and beasts, and creeping
    things. So this first method of divine revelation is limited as to what it says about God, is not unto salvation
    but unto condemnation, and is not the kind of revelation we have in mind here as we speak of the
    knowledge of God which is eternal life.

There is also a speech of God in Jesus Christ, and this revelation of God is full and, when
    accompanied by the work of the Holy Spirit, is saving! Does not Jesus say that eternal life is this, "that
    they might know thee, the only true God, and Jesus Christ Who Thou hast sent"? The knowledge of God
    which is unto salvation through Christ Jesus! He is the only possibility of ever truly knowing God. We
    read in John 1 that the Word which was made flesh and dwelt among us was full of grace, truth, and glory,
    even the glory of the Father. We read in verse 18 of this chapter that the only begotten Son who is in the
    bosom of the Father hath declared Him Whom no man hath seen at any time. And we are to understand that
    this revelation of God in Christ Jesus is a full revelation of Himself. In John 14 Philip says to Jesus, "Lord,
    show us the Father and it sufficeth us." Jesus can hardly believe His ear; He says, "Have I been so long
    with you, and yet hast thou not known me, Philip? He that hath seen me hath seen the Father; and how
    sayest thou then, Shew us the Father?"

Amazing words! Jesus is actually saying that He is the full, accurate, complete revelation of God
    to us! Everything that is true of God you may find revealed in Christ!

How is this possible? First, remember that Jesus is God, He is the only begotten, eternal, natural
    Son of God, and He is that in union with our flesh. Thus, the "fulness of the Godhead dwells in Christ
    bodily," and in Christ shines forth "the brightness of God's glory, the express image of His person." Today,
    when we look at Christ as He is set forth in the Scriptures, and when we look by faith, then we see the
    invisible God as He really is, and that is eternal life!!

We must say one more thing. If God does not speak through Christ to a man, if God does not speak through
    the gospel to a man, there is no knowledge of Him and thus no salvation either. If a man does not believe in
    the Christ of the Scriptures, he cannot be saved. Speaking to Thomas, according to John 14, the Lord said,
    "I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father but by me." Coming to the Father
    means knowing the Father, believing in the Father, trusting in the Father, and having salvation of the Father.
    No one can come to the Triune God and Father except through Christ! What clear implications those words
    have! First, this means that there is no salvation unless the Gospel of Christ is preached. You don't come to
    God through nature, you don't come to God through philosophical speculation, you must come through
    Christ as set forth fully in the Word of God. Secondly these words of Jesus mean that the religion called
    Judaism is a totally false religion. The Jews reject the Christ as Messiah, and therefore as long as they hold
    to their false beliefs, they cannot be saved. Their only hope, and the only hope of any man, is to repent of
    their sins and believe on the Lord Jesus Christ!

How clearly the Scriptures prove that God is knowable. And yet the knowledge of God that the
    believer has is very strictly limited. It's important for our worship of God to understand that! Theologians
    say that God is knowable, but He is not comprehensible. God is in fact incomprehensible. You cannot
    define God. You cannot fully know and understand Him. You cannot write a book about God and say,
    "There, that's all there is to know about Him!" It is even the case that God cannot fully disclose Himself to
    us! He is always greater than our thoughts and conceptions. He is unfathomable, without limit in being and
    virtues. Even as God reveals Himself to us in His Word, one of the things He is telling us is that there is
    more, oh so much more! Job asks, "Canst thou by searching find out God? Canst thou find out the
    Almighty to perfection?" Isaiah exclaims, "Hast thou not known, hast thou not heard, that the everlasting
    God, the Lord, the creator of the ends of the earth, fainteth not, neither is weary? There is no searching of
    his understanding." And Paul is at a loss for words at one point in his argumentation to the Romans; he can
    only say, "O, the depths! the depths of the riches, both of the wisdom and knowledge of God. How
    unsearchable are His judgements and His ways past finding out!" The most brilliant theologian, the hardest
    working pastor, the keenest student of the Bible, has only scratched the surface of the knowledge of God.

It is necessary for salvation that God is knowable; it is necessary that God is incomprehensible, or
    He would not be God. If we could define God, search Him out to exhaustive perfection, say everything
    about Him that could be said, God would not be God. God would be no greater than we are, and we would
    be equal to Him. But God must be, and is, infinitely greater than the creature. That's a very humbling truth,
    is it not? God is great, God is so overwhelmingly great that our puny minds are not able to comprehend
    Him in His majesty and glory! That leads to worship, don't you see? Live before that kind of a God in
    humility and fear. What a privilege and what a blessing just to know Him as we do!

For that is salvation! The highest and best thing for a man is that He might know God and enjoy
    Him forever! There is nothing better or finer than that! We live in an age that does not know God and does
    not care to know God. But the truth rings down through the ages, "This is life eternal, and that a man might
    know God through Jesus Christ!" And knowing God, to glory in God! We can test ourselves in a moment.
    Do we really desire to go to heaven, when heaven is seeing, and knowing, and being with the great and holy
    God, as he is revealed in the face of Jesus Christ? and then glorying in God, world without end? Will that
    fascinate you and joyfully occupy you forever and ever? The man that counts the knowledge of God
    precious is the man who strives to grow in grace and knowledge of Jesus Christ. May that be true of His
    saints until we see Him in the glory of His coming.

objectively read it (Many who claim to be logical thinker do not know how to do this at all. They would rather let their hate overcome their intellect-know anyone like that?) and that is to be expected. For those of us who are on a higher intellectual plain, enjoy

Originally Posted by JolietKev View Post

objectively read it (Many who claim to be logical thinker do not know how to do this at all. They would rather let their hate overcome their intellect-know anyone like that?) and that is to be expected. For those of us who are on a higher intellectual plain, enjoy
    Wow way to reel people in to reading your post. First you post some monster amount of text with out of whack format thats incredibly hard to read. Then you insult people before they actually read it. Good job.

mntbikedude has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mntbikedude has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mntbikedude has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mntbikedude has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mntbikedude has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mntbikedude has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mntbikedude has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mntbikedude has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mntbikedude has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mntbikedude has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mntbikedude has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    That really doesn't make sense to me. What makes people "do the right things for the right reasons" when they believe a god exists based on faith instead of knowledge? I don't see the distinction there.
    First off as you know it doesn't take faith to make morally good choices. The best reason to not steal isn't because the 10 commandments it's because we know it's wrong to steal.

I do believe that faith has to include knowledge and that if something is true that faith can lead us to pure knowledge. Believe me I am as frustrated as an atheist at how many that believe in God are willing to believe the most rediculous things.

I don't believe it's right to believe something that science has proved to be wrong. I stopped believing in things like Noahs ark, years ago. But it doesn't stop me in believing that there is a God and that our lifes have a purpose.

You may be right, but my heart tells me otherwise. I've just had to many experiences that tells me that there is something to this whole earth life experience.

Last edited by mntbikedude; 06-20-2009 at 03:52 PM.
    You can, and need to find a ground that you know you are suppose to stand on.. hence, stand your ground, this is the place where you know everything is as it should be for you. If you stand in a place where you know in your heart things are wrong, most things around you will never be right.

Rule number one, never work at being what another man defines as being "honorable", Honorable is is being true to what you know and and doing what you know is right for you..

Nagalfar

ONtop888 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ONtop888 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ONtop888 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ONtop888 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ONtop888 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ONtop888 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ONtop888 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ONtop888 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ONtop888 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ONtop888 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ONtop888 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Wow way to reel people in to reading your post. First you post some monster amount of text with out of whack format thats incredibly hard to read. Then you insult people before they actually read it. Good job.
    This whole thread is a joke, you're just baiting theists into a dead end by refusing to acknowledge the various ways God reveals Himself to humans. You're saying it's "not adequate" because I don't believe and if you say otherwise then you are claiming that we are lying. 5 star thread bro.
    Virile agitur

JolietKev is a name known to all. (+5000) JolietKev is a name known to all. (+5000) JolietKev is a name known to all. (+5000) JolietKev is a name known to all. (+5000) JolietKev is a name known to all. (+5000) JolietKev is a name known to all. (+5000) JolietKev is a name known to all. (+5000) JolietKev is a name known to all. (+5000) JolietKev is a name known to all. (+5000) JolietKev is a name known to all. (+5000) JolietKev is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I am sorry if you cannot understand it. Actually my comments were at the end of the paragraph. There are those who will not read it and just talk trash, as you yourself know. So I placed a disclaimer there.
    Last edited by JolietKev; 06-20-2009 at 11:40 AM.

This whole thread is a joke, you're just baiting theists into a dead end by refusing to acknowledge the various ways God reveals Himself to humans. You're saying it's "not adequate" because I don't believe and if you say otherwise then you are claiming that we are lying. 5 star thread bro.
    Again, you must not know what adequate means. If the proof was adequate to convince everyone then there would be no such thing as an atheist. Im again very confused as to how you can't comprehend that simple point. And seeing that you can't, Id say you should probably not post in this thread any longer.

Again, you must not know what adequate means. If the proof was adequate to convince everyone then there would be no such thing as an atheist. Im again very confused as to how you can't comprehend that simple point. And seeing that you can't, Id say you should probably not post in this thread any longer.
    People can have adequate revelations and still reject the message, people can feel the presence of God and still reject His existence, it's not a hard concept to fathome.

Your contention is that if you had an adequate revelation, you would not be an atheist, I disagree.
    Virile agitur

People can have adequate revelations and still reject the message, people can feel the presence of God and still reject His existence, it's not a hard concept to fathome.

Your contention is that if you had an adequate revelation, you would not be an atheist, I disagree.
    Sigh.

Then again, you must necessarily believe that atheists are liars. Do we really need to keep going back and forth with this? Either atheists are all lying about their beliefs or adequate revelation has not been given. Pick whatever one you want to go with.

J-Bol is a name known to all. (+5000) J-Bol is a name known to all. (+5000) J-Bol is a name known to all. (+5000) J-Bol is a name known to all. (+5000) J-Bol is a name known to all. (+5000) J-Bol is a name known to all. (+5000) J-Bol is a name known to all. (+5000) J-Bol is a name known to all. (+5000) J-Bol is a name known to all. (+5000) J-Bol is a name known to all. (+5000) J-Bol is a name known to all. (+5000)
    He has.
    "The Bible is an anvil that has worn out many hammers."

Misc zombie survival BRAVO Squad: Kicking ass and chewing bubble gum and I'm all out of gum.

God is the All-Glorious Bahai.Lifter's Avatar
    Bahai.Lifter is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Bahai.Lifter is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Bahai.Lifter is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Bahai.Lifter is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Bahai.Lifter is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Bahai.Lifter is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Bahai.Lifter is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Bahai.Lifter is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Bahai.Lifter is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Bahai.Lifter is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Bahai.Lifter is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    This thread reminded me of a quote:

"They say, too, 'Unless an angel be sent down to him. . . .' But if we had sent down an angel, their judgment would have come on them at once, and they would have had no respite." (Qur'an 6:8)

This relates to the point I made earlier (page 2), that for the sake of argument if God revealed His essence at once to the eyes of all mankind, no one could deny Him. But there would be no point to that, since our trust in Him is a test in this life. After we pass on, His truth will be undeniable (we are unable to lie or reject the truth in the next life) -- both to the deniers and believers. How lucky and what a glorious future is in store for those who persevered and were steadfast in their love for God in this life.

Here are some Words of wisdom we may reflect on:

Man is the supreme Talisman. Lack of a proper education hath, however, deprived him of that which he doth inherently possess. Through a word proceeding out of the mouth of God he was called into being; by one word more he was guided to recognize the Source of his education; by yet another word his station and destiny were safeguarded. The Great Being saith: Regard man as a mine rich in gems of inestimable value. Education can, alone, cause it to reveal its treasures, and enable mankind to benefit therefrom. If any man were to meditate on that which the Scriptures, sent down from the heaven of God's holy Will, have revealed, he would readily recognize that their purpose is that all men shall be regarded as one soul, so that the seal bearing the words "The Kingdom shall be God's" may be stamped on every heart, and the light of Divine bounty, of grace, and mercy may envelop all mankind. The one true God, exalted be His glory, hath wished nothing for Himself. The allegiance of mankind profiteth Him not, neither doth its perversity harm Him. The Bird of the Realm of Utterance voiceth continually this call: "All things have I willed for thee, and thee, too, for thine own sake." If the learned and worldly-wise men of this age were to allow mankind to inhale the fragrance of fellowship and love, every understanding heart would apprehend the meaning of true liberty, and discover the secret of undisturbed peace and absolute composure. Were the earth to attain this station and be illumined with its light it could then be truly said of it: "Thou shall see in it no hollows or rising hills."

(Gleanings from the Writings of Baha'u'llah, CXXII)
    Last edited by Bahai.Lifter; 06-20-2009 at 12:33 PM.
    "O MAN OF TWO VISIONS! Close one eye and open the other. Close one to the world and all that is therein, and open the other to the hallowed beauty of the Beloved."

--Baha'u'llah

www.bahai.us

Originally Posted by Bahai.Lifter View Post
    This thread reminded me of a quote:

"They say, too, 'Unless an angel be sent down to him. . . .' But if we had sent down an angel, their judgment would have come on them at once, and they would have had no respite." (Qur'an 6:8)

This relates to the point I made earlier (page 2), that for the sake of argument if God revealed His essence at once to the eyes of all mankind, all would become believers. But there would be no point to that, since our trust in Him is a test in this life. After we pass on, His truth will be undeniable (we are unable to lie or reject the truth in the next life) -- both to the deniers and believers. How lucky and what a glorious future is in store for those who persevered and were steadfast in their love for God in this life.

Here are some Words of wisdom we may reflect on:
    Excellent post.
    Virile agitur

Bahai.Lifter is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Bahai.Lifter is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Bahai.Lifter is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Bahai.Lifter is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Bahai.Lifter is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Bahai.Lifter is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Bahai.Lifter is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Bahai.Lifter is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Bahai.Lifter is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Bahai.Lifter is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Bahai.Lifter is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Excellent post.
    Thanks, so are your posts.
    "O MAN OF TWO VISIONS! Close one eye and open the other. Close one to the world and all that is therein, and open the other to the hallowed beauty of the Beloved."

--Baha'u'llah

www.bahai.us

Originally Posted by Bahai.Lifter View Post
    Thanks, so are your posts.
    I've got to go in a minute, but I have a question for you about your faith. How do you reconcile the beliefs about Christ from a Christian perspective and from a Muslim perspective, since they are both in stark opposition to them and since the Bahai religion utilizes both Christianity and Islam?
    Virile agitur

user5145 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) user5145 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) user5145 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) user5145 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) user5145 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) user5145 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) user5145 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) user5145 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) user5145 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) user5145 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) user5145 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Why couldn't there at least be signficant historical evidence for the Exodus, the resurrection, the ten plagues of Egypt, Moses, Abraham, etc.? The mere fact that no evidence for any of these events exists has to raise some questions.''

If some evidence for those events existed, then they would not be sufficient to prove the divinity of the Bible, but they would certainly give one a reason to accept that the events actually occurred, and it would thus support the Bible in SOME way.
    On the individual:

His responses grow intelligent, or gain meaning, simply because he lives and acts in a medium of accepted meanings and values. Through social intercourse, through sharing in the activities embodying beliefs, he gradually acquires a mind of his own. The conception of mind as a purely isolated possession of the self is at the very antipodes of the truth.

- John Dewey

All are lunatics, but he who can analyze his delusion is called a philosopher.

~Ambrose Bierce

OmniPotentTitan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) OmniPotentTitan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) OmniPotentTitan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) OmniPotentTitan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) OmniPotentTitan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) OmniPotentTitan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) OmniPotentTitan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) OmniPotentTitan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) OmniPotentTitan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) OmniPotentTitan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) OmniPotentTitan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Free Will is an illusion. Therefore it does not exist.

I am sorry if you cannot understand it. Actually my comments were at the end of the paragraph. There are those who will not read it and just talk trash, as you yourself know. So I placed a disclaimer there.
    Who said I couldn't understand it? I said its difficult to read because the format is all messed up from you copy and pasting it. If you want to make a point you should be able to sum it up in a nice and neat manner. I refuse to read that for two reasons. One, its not your own writing, and two because when you copy and pasted it, it got pasted in an annoying to read manner.

Who said I couldn't understand it? I said its difficult to read because the format is all messed up from you copy and pasting it. If you want to make a point you should be able to sum it up in a nice and neat manner. I refuse to read that for two reasons. One, its not your own writing, and two because when you copy and pasted it, it got pasted in an annoying to read manner.
    Looked good to me. You have problem with reading other people's writings? Excuses, excuses...

Mr Beer has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mr Beer has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mr Beer has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mr Beer has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mr Beer has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mr Beer has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mr Beer has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mr Beer has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mr Beer has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mr Beer has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mr Beer has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    LOL, strong arrogance.
    "A stupid man's report of what a clever man says can never be accurate, because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand."

Looked good to me. You have problem with reading other people's writings? Excuses, excuses...
    Really? The way thats pasted looks good? And yes I do have a problem when Im asking YOU for a logical reason, not whoever wrote that novel you posted.

TranceNRG has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TranceNRG has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TranceNRG has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TranceNRG has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TranceNRG has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TranceNRG has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TranceNRG has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TranceNRG has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TranceNRG has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TranceNRG has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TranceNRG has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I already answered your question so Im not going to play this game. Im not aware of anyone disagreeing on what the word "all" means or the word "power(ful)" means.

I remember in my Philosophy of Religion, for almost one class, we discussed the definition of omnipotent.

No, not at all, as your next comment clearly demonstrates.

They are not "my" definitions. They are the standard definitions found in any dictionary.
    These standard definitions can only take you to a certain a point.
    The point that tells you that these definitions aren't sufficient to explain what is metaphysical.

Generally, we talk about God, using these words and we understand one another.
    However, after a certain point, when we delve deep into the nature of God, the standard definitions of these words cannot be / are not sufficient.

Then it is useless to have any conversation about god. You keep repeating yourself and proving my point. If doesn't have to abide by it, then anything we say about god is erroneous. How are you not getting this simple point?
    It is useless only after a certain point.

For example, one may say God is absolute. On the surface, we can understand that. But then as we dwell deep we'd notice that the word absolute can be expanded on greatly.

Or God is ONE.
    If you examine the examination of the nature of God, you'd notice that there are disagreements about how God can even be examined.
    I.e. negative attribution, positive attribution, gnostic approach and etc.

It is our surface/shallow understanding of God that may lead us to problems, whereas upon deeper examination these apparent problems fade away.

I.e. "... well if God is so merciful, why is there evil in the world?..."
    But what merciful? Does being merciful negate justice? Does it negate free will? and etc.

No, I "get" what you are saying, I just don't get how its analogous or relevant to my original question.
    Ok, let's leave it at this point then.
    And David said, "The Lord who delivered me from the paw of the lion and from the paw of the bear, He will deliver me from the hand of this Philistine." And Saul said to David, "Go, and may the Lord be with you." (1 Samuel 17:37)

Thus David prevailed over the Philistine with a sling and a stone, and he struck the Philistine and killed him; but there was no sword in David’s hand. (1 Samuel 17:50)

I've got to go in a minute, but I have a question for you about your faith. How do you reconcile the beliefs about Christ from a Christian perspective and from a Muslim perspective, since they are both in stark opposition to them and since the Bahai religion utilizes both Christianity and Islam?
    The Baha'i view on Christ and Christianity can be summed up in a book called Some Answered Question, revealed by 'Abdu'l-Baha (Son of Baha'u'llah) (http://reference.bahai.org/en/t/ab/SAQ/). As you know, when a new religion comes after the previous religion (e.g., Christianity after Judaism), to arrive to the newer religion one has to interpret the holy scripture in a different way than the mainstream, usually symbolically or metaphorically; the mainstream believed that Christ had to be a literal King, and since He did not fulfill their interpretation of scripture, they rejected His Truth.

Since you may not have time to look through the whole book, do you have questions about a specific topic or issue?

--Baha'u'llah

www.bahai.us