67fastback is just really nice. (+1000) 67fastback is just really nice. (+1000) 67fastback is just really nice. (+1000) 67fastback is just really nice. (+1000) 67fastback is just really nice. (+1000) 67fastback is just really nice. (+1000) 67fastback is just really nice. (+1000) 67fastback is just really nice. (+1000) 67fastback is just really nice. (+1000) 67fastback is just really nice. (+1000) 67fastback is just really nice. (+1000)

My two years progress pics

It's a long slow go, but actually in the last few months I really feel like I am doing something good.

right to left 1st pic is almost exactly 2 years ago (before the gym), middle pic is late fall 2008 (about 7 months after joining the gym)
    crappy pics, but the left one is from today

It's a long slow process. I am happy that my arms are starting to look pretty symmetrical. It maybe looks like the pecs are just starting to show.

I'm resigned to the fact that, without sups, this is going to take a long time, but what the hell... I like going to the gym, and I like being stronger

I dunno, I don't really see a lot other than my left arm growth, what do you guys think? I have a pretty balanced routine now, but maybe I should specifically target some weak points. What areas should I be working on?

I'm going to take the Sc0liosis curve out of my back and eliminate my nerve pain

immuno is a name known to all. (+5000) immuno is a name known to all. (+5000) immuno is a name known to all. (+5000) immuno is a name known to all. (+5000) immuno is a name known to all. (+5000) immuno is a name known to all. (+5000) immuno is a name known to all. (+5000) immuno is a name known to all. (+5000) immuno is a name known to all. (+5000) immuno is a name known to all. (+5000) immuno is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I'm a noob, so weigh my opinion accordingly, but to me, it just looks like you need to eat more protein and lift a lol heavier. I think you are in a rut. I was in a rut for quite a while until one of the experienced folks on here checked out my journal and straightened me out.

Teacher and Bodybuilder BergMuscle's Avatar
    BergMuscle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BergMuscle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BergMuscle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BergMuscle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BergMuscle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BergMuscle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BergMuscle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BergMuscle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BergMuscle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BergMuscle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BergMuscle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I can see the increase in mass and your back is much better defined in today's picture.
    If you are going for increased size, what changes have you made in your eating? You need a lot of protein spread out over the course of the day to "feed" those muscles so they expand in size (which you probably know already).

How about posting your current split and exercise plan? Maybe some folks here can help you kick your training, and your gains, up a notch or two. Sounds like that's what you want.

If you are getting stronger, and you certainly are lean and muscular, then you are doing a lot of stuff right. You may be just a "tweak" or two away from a major muscle breakthrough.

x-trainer ben has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) x-trainer ben has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) x-trainer ben has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) x-trainer ben has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) x-trainer ben has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) x-trainer ben has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) x-trainer ben has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) x-trainer ben has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) x-trainer ben has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) x-trainer ben has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) x-trainer ben has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Looking good dude i see the changes, just add more size and make the areas you want "pop out" more!

67fastback is just really nice. (+1000) 67fastback is just really nice. (+1000) 67fastback is just really nice. (+1000) 67fastback is just really nice. (+1000) 67fastback is just really nice. (+1000) 67fastback is just really nice. (+1000) 67fastback is just really nice. (+1000) 67fastback is just really nice. (+1000) 67fastback is just really nice. (+1000) 67fastback is just really nice. (+1000) 67fastback is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by immuno View Post
    I'm a noob, so weigh my opinion accordingly, but to me, it just looks like you need to eat more protein and lift a lol heavier. I think you are in a rut.
    Yeah, maybe more protein. I am actually doing that a little more now. I don't feel lke I am in a rut. I am actually feeling good about the gym. Because of my RA, I can't go heavy. Everything has to be a step by step progression

Originally Posted by BergMuscle View Post
    I can see the increase in mass and your back is much better defined in today's picture.
    If you are going for increased size, what changes have you made in your eating? You need a lot of protein spread out over the course of the day to "feed" those muscles so they expand in size (which you probably know already).

How about posting your current split and exercise plan? Maybe some folks here can help you kick your training, and your gains, up a notch or two. Sounds like that's what you want.

If you are getting stronger, and you certainly are lean and muscular, then you are doing a lot of stuff right. You may be just a "tweak" or two away from a major muscle breakthrough.
    Thanks I have been upping my protein and that is partly due to feeling like I am getting a decent workout in the gym lately.

My current split is a 4 workout rotation over 9 days
    (aside from my swimming) Each workout is about 1 - 1 1/2 hrs

Day 1 chest back
    DB Press (DB's Paralell to body) 5/8 when I get to 5/10 I move up #
    Wide Lat PD 8/5 last 2 sets at my max # full ROM
    Pec Flye Machine warmup then 5/10
    Delt Flyes (same machine) w-up then 5/10
    Decline BP 5 sets when i get to 5/10 them move up #

Day 2 Legs
    Deep Squats w-up then 5/5's
    ss DB Lunges 5/10 alt
    ss Ham curls single leg 5/5's
    Calf raise 5/10
    Stiff leg DL w-up then 5/5

Day 3 Arms
    Paralell Dips 10/7 BW
    Close Bar BB Curl w-up then 5/10
    Tri PD (rope) 5/10
    Incl DB Curl 5/10
    Reverse grip tri PD (left arm only)

Day 4 Shoulders/Abs
    Nautilus shoulder raise 10/10
    AB Cr Bench 5/5 (heavy)
    Shoulder press 5/10
    Lat Cable X-over 5/10
    DB Shrug 5/10

Originally Posted by x-trainer ben View Post
    Looking good dude i see the changes, just add more size and make the areas you want "pop out" more!
    Thanks, that is my goal. I actually stopped concentrating on my biceps all the time, and work the whole body more.
    I'm going to take the Sc0liosis curve out of my back and eliminate my nerve pain

Whatanejit is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Whatanejit is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Whatanejit is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Whatanejit is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Whatanejit is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Whatanejit is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Whatanejit is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Whatanejit is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Whatanejit is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Whatanejit is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Whatanejit is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I notice that your tummy is leaner too.

Well done!

bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I know people will call me out for this but I am not here to make friends nor be liked, if that were the case I'd be BSing everyone and giving them a pat in the back.

With that said, for 2 years of training that is horrible progress. Unless you have been taking off in between and being nonchalant about it, then I would say, OK I understand. But if you have been training consistently for 2 years and that is the most improvements you've done, then you need to re-evaluate your training/diet.

In no way am I trying to be disrespectful to you in anyway, but I would think you'd want constructive criticism and not BS, I know I would.

What is it that you are trying to achieve, what is your goal?
    On the list for Bannukah

Whiskeyjack is a name known to all. (+5000) Whiskeyjack is a name known to all. (+5000) Whiskeyjack is a name known to all. (+5000) Whiskeyjack is a name known to all. (+5000) Whiskeyjack is a name known to all. (+5000) Whiskeyjack is a name known to all. (+5000) Whiskeyjack is a name known to all. (+5000) Whiskeyjack is a name known to all. (+5000) Whiskeyjack is a name known to all. (+5000) Whiskeyjack is a name known to all. (+5000) Whiskeyjack is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Well 67, I think the problem - if there is one - is less about your intake and training - I assume intensity - and more about the swimming. No doubt about it: swimming is good for your in terms of coordination, lung and cardio power, but all that swimming you're doing tends to offset muscle size. There's a middle road there.
    "An infraction is better than an infarction."
    - Aldington and Adlington

"Cursus sub pondere crescit."
    - Anon

ntrllftr has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ntrllftr has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ntrllftr has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ntrllftr has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ntrllftr has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ntrllftr has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ntrllftr has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ntrllftr has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ntrllftr has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ntrllftr has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ntrllftr has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    You know me as well Mr. Fastback

After reading "more of the story" your second post....

I definitly think that you need to re-structure your training.
    Diet needs to change as well.

Concentrait on doing the compound movements first in your program. Flyes/dumbell presses
    can be used and should but after the compound movements are done.
    I consider Compound movements= Bench press/squat/bent over rows for example.

It is not all about protein when it comes to "building". Carbs are more important IMO.
    Be sure to get carbs in at breakfast, prior to training and post training.
    Yes, be sure to get enough protein in the day as well.

After two years you should know how many grams of each to take at the right times.
    If not do the research.

Now go hit those weights hard and eat right.

Every day counts.

-[][][]---------[][][]-

I has a PHmuthaf'nD in Broscience!

ntrllftr > azstrengthlosscouchpotato

Teacher and Bodybuilder BergMuscle's Avatar
    BergMuscle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BergMuscle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BergMuscle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BergMuscle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BergMuscle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BergMuscle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BergMuscle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BergMuscle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BergMuscle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BergMuscle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BergMuscle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by ntrllftr View Post
    You know me as well Mr. Fastback

After reading "more of the story" your second post....

I definitly think that you need to re-structure your training.
    Diet needs to change as well.

Concentrait on doing the compound movements first in your program. Flyes/dumbell presses
    can be used and should but after the compound movements are done.
    I consider Compound movements= Bench press/squat/bent over rows for example.

It is not all about protein when it comes to "building". Carbs are more important IMO.
    Be sure to get carbs in at breakfast, prior to training and post training.
    Yes, be sure to get enough protein in the day as well.

After two years you should know how many grams of each to take at the right times.
    If not do the research.

Now go hit those weights hard and eat right.

What he said. ^^ Hit those heavy compound lifts. I'd also advise you to push the poundages. You don't state how much you've been lifting, but get it so you're finished after 8-10 reps and keep it to 3 sets, 4 on a few key ones if you really want to. Your current routine looks, to me, more like endurance training than mass training. The last rep of set 3 should be "all she wrote" for that exercise.
    And be aware if you are getting DOMS about 30-48 hours later. Your muscles should be telling you that they've been worked hard.

You can swim on your "rest days" from lifting, but if you want a weightlifter/bodybuilder body, you need to focus your energy on pounding the iron. You have a good swimmer body right now, but it sounds to me like that's not what you ultimately want for yourself.

JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by bodyhard View Post
    I know people will call me out for this but I am not here to make friends nor be liked, if that were the case I'd be BSing everyone and giving them a pat in the back.

With that said, for 2 years of training that is horrible progress. Unless you have been taking off in between and being nonchalant about it, then I would say, OK I understand. But if you have been training consistently for 2 years and that is the most improvements you've done, then you need to re-evaluate your training/diet.

In no way am I trying to be disrespectful to you in anyway, but I would think you'd want constructive criticism and not BS, I know I would.

I am also from the Bodyhard school of tough love.....

I agree with him 100 percent, and , in fact, he stole my thunder with his post.....

other than more leanness, I see very little improvement, size wise, at all........

in fact, truth to tell, I almost feel that your FIRST PICTURE IS THE BEST, as you exhibit better muscle roundness in that pic......

so something is amiss here in the dietary area......

Reality_Check is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Reality_Check is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Reality_Check is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Reality_Check is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Reality_Check is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Reality_Check is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Reality_Check is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Reality_Check is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Reality_Check is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Reality_Check is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Reality_Check is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    I hate sounding negative but to be honest I have to agree with bodyhard. Initialy I thought the pic on the right was the current pic till I reread the post. Put the photos in random order and get people to guess which order they go in and I bet you'd be surprised at the result. Differing pricture quality probably doesn't help but with enough progress you'd see it on the blurry left and I don't think you do - though maybe the pecs are slightly bigger). Again hate to sound negative and all.

Reality_Check is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Reality_Check is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Reality_Check is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Reality_Check is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Reality_Check is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Reality_Check is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Reality_Check is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Reality_Check is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Reality_Check is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Reality_Check is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Reality_Check is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by Whiskeyjack View Post
    swimming is good for your in terms of coordination, lung and cardio power, but all that swimming you're doing tends to offset muscle size. There's a middle road there.

It's not uncommon for people who do a lot of swimming/running to give it up and find they finally make gains in the muscle mass department.

Originally Posted by ntrllftr View Post
    Concentrate on doing the compound movements first in your program. Flyes/dumbell presses can be used and should but after the compound movements are done. I consider Compound movements= Bench press/squat/bent over rows for example.

By the way incline bench (at moderate angle) is actaully better for pecs than decline I believe (though intuitively you would think it is the other way around it isn't).

Old-Time-Lifter has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Old-Time-Lifter has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Old-Time-Lifter has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Old-Time-Lifter has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Old-Time-Lifter has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Old-Time-Lifter has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Old-Time-Lifter has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Old-Time-Lifter has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Old-Time-Lifter has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Old-Time-Lifter has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Old-Time-Lifter has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    I'd agree, at this point try ditching the swimming and running for a couple of months and see what happens.

I do understand that you have physical limitations. Heck, most of us in the O35 have something we're working around.......... you gotta find just what you can and can't do. For me that's been alot of the last 2 years.
    Was friends with Methuselah

jocdat is just really nice. (+1000) jocdat is just really nice. (+1000) jocdat is just really nice. (+1000) jocdat is just really nice. (+1000) jocdat is just really nice. (+1000) jocdat is just really nice. (+1000) jocdat is just really nice. (+1000) jocdat is just really nice. (+1000) jocdat is just really nice. (+1000) jocdat is just really nice. (+1000) jocdat is just really nice. (+1000)
    To be honest, I don't really see any difference. You look almost the same in all pics with the exception that the waist in the last pic looks tighter...but then again, it could be an illusion.

While I have to admit that you're in much better shape than most in your age group, I don't think that is your goal - to maintain leanness. (Or is it?)

If you are trying to get BIGGER, then I'd definitely listen to bodyhard. Take it as CONSTRUCTIVE criticism. I'd much rather take all the potshots from him than others who say "nice comments". Nice comments mollify. Hard comments release the beast in you to prove HIM wrong.

Old_swole is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Old_swole is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Old_swole is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Old_swole is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Old_swole is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Old_swole is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Old_swole is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Old_swole is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Old_swole is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Old_swole is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Old_swole is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by bodyhard View Post

Ouch! but sometimes the truth hurts
    O35 5'8" Crew

IronCharles has the mod powerz IronCharles has the mod powerz IronCharles has the mod powerz IronCharles has the mod powerz IronCharles has the mod powerz IronCharles has the mod powerz IronCharles has the mod powerz IronCharles has the mod powerz IronCharles has the mod powerz IronCharles has the mod powerz IronCharles has the mod powerz
    Also, do you have any specific goals? Sometimes it's good to have something to work for, both in the short term, and the long. For instance, you could say, "I want to gain 1 inch on my arms in 6 months", or "I am going to add 5 pounds of lean mass by the end of the year", or "I'm planning to compete in my local bodybuilding contest in 2011".

When we have clear ideas of what we are trying to achieve, then it becomes much easier for us to focus our efforts, and make the desired improvements.
    ★DSC★
    ★MISC Cologne Crew★
    ★4200 cals a day crew★
    ★Squat Booty Sorority Fan Club★
    ★Forum Member #109,914,313★

► ► ►Dirty South Crew gear: https://www.zazzle.com/s/thedirtysouthlifts ◄ ◄ ◄ (Proceeds go to children's charities)

Thanks for the responses, and honest opinions.

Would I have liked more size gains? Yeah you bet.

I consider the 1st year in the gym,not a waste of time, but a learning process. In fact I am still learning every day.

I look back to when I have started, and what my goals were, to see what I have accomplished.

I have used strength training to counteract the muscle wasting tendencies or Rheumatiod Arthritis. In fact I have very little nagging joint pain and have cut my medication by 50%

I have successfully rehabilitated my dislocative unstable left shoulder. I am currently at about 80-90% of my right shoulder to the point where I started doing military presses today. This exercise would have dislocated my shoulder 2 years ago, or I would have dropped the bar.

Why am I not getting bigger faster? Yeah swimming, but swimming is my best therapy for RA, so I am not giving it up.
    Rest, not possible to get much more. The job site I am on is 1/4 mile long, I have to be on my feet all day long.
    Medication, I have a suspicion the the NSAIDs I am taking interfere with muscle building. Don't know for sure, but that's what I think.

Nutrition, yeah, maybe I can do better there in upping my protien. I probably am lacking there by quite a bit.

So to sum things up. I am enjoying the benifits of weight lifting and how it has helped me, so far. I plan on making this a life long program, especially the way it is helping me combat RA. I feel like the last few months I have made some good gains, but I have to be careful with my joints. Ramping up the poundage too fast can damage or injure the joints (I don't want to inflame my joints) Everything I do has to be incremental.

That being said, over the next 6 month I am going to prove all you guys wrong

bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by 67fastback View Post

That being said, over the next 6 month I am going to prove all you guys wrong
    This is what I am talking about! Fuel the fire man. Take that third pic, hang it up where you can see it at all times. Take everyone's comments on here (not the BS one where they say yeah good job blah blah blah but the ones that state you can do better) keep them come back in 6 months and make us shove it down our throats!!
    On the list for Bannukah