Babylon1023 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Babylon1023 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Babylon1023 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Babylon1023 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Babylon1023 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Babylon1023 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Babylon1023 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Babylon1023 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Babylon1023 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Babylon1023 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Babylon1023 will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Flexibility Machines for hamstrings: Good idea or bad idea?

I've become aware that hamstring tightness is causing my lower back to round during squats and is preventing proper hip mobility. I do the seated straight leg "try and touch your toes" kind of stretch and have trouble with that, but I wanted to mention that my gym has flexibility machines such as this one here:

You keep one leg on the floor and it raises your other leg as high as your flexibility will allow. Man do I feel that behind the knees! Thing is, I've heard you should only hold static stretches for about 30 seconds or so, and there seems to be a timer that allows you to stay "stretched" for up to 5 minutes! Any thoughts on whether this might help?

nano.ix is a name known to all. (+5000) nano.ix is a name known to all. (+5000) nano.ix is a name known to all. (+5000) nano.ix is a name known to all. (+5000) nano.ix is a name known to all. (+5000) nano.ix is a name known to all. (+5000) nano.ix is a name known to all. (+5000) nano.ix is a name known to all. (+5000) nano.ix is a name known to all. (+5000) nano.ix is a name known to all. (+5000) nano.ix is a name known to all. (+5000)
    static stretching
    SLDL's
    loose the weight and maintain proper squat form.

im sure the machine wouldn't hurt, but i've never seen that before
    Ball-Worthy [bawl-wur-thee]
    -adjective

1) Something so epic you would sacrifice a testicle to get your hands on it:

-nano's journal is ball-worthy;
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=117646471

-nano's guitar
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=124088321

VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz
    I've seen gyms with spit buckets and chalk stands, but not stretching machines. That's a new one on me.

I honestly can't see how that's going to be any better than just doing the hamstring stretches yourself, but I've never used one so what do I know.
    ☠ By reading this post, you have agreed to my negative reputation terms of service.

Babylon1023 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Babylon1023 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Babylon1023 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Babylon1023 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Babylon1023 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Babylon1023 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Babylon1023 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Babylon1023 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Babylon1023 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Babylon1023 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Babylon1023 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by VoxExMachina View Post
    I've seen gyms with spit buckets and chalk stands, but not stretching machines. That's a new one on me.

I honestly can't see how that's going to be any better than just doing the hamstring stretches yourself, but I've never used one so what do I know.
    Well, when you do the stretches yourself you're limited by how far your muscles can take you, whereas on this you lie back on a sled that lets gravity help with the pull. You can also pull on the semi-circle attached to the leg lever for some extra umph. It also has a gauge reading how many degrees your leg is raised so you can track progress. I'll do my regular stretches but try my luck with this as well to see if it helps.

phigg is just really nice. (+1000) phigg is just really nice. (+1000) phigg is just really nice. (+1000) phigg is just really nice. (+1000) phigg is just really nice. (+1000) phigg is just really nice. (+1000) phigg is just really nice. (+1000) phigg is just really nice. (+1000) phigg is just really nice. (+1000) phigg is just really nice. (+1000) phigg is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by Babylon1023 View Post
    I've become aware that hamstring tightness is causing my lower back to round during squats and is preventing proper hip mobility. I do the seated straight leg "try and touch your toes" kind of stretch and have trouble with that, but I wanted to mention that my gym has flexibility machines such as this one here:

You keep one leg on the floor and it raises your other leg as high as your flexibility will allow. Man do I feel that behind the knees! Thing is, I've heard you should only hold static stretches for about 30 seconds or so, and there seems to be a timer that allows you to stay "stretched" for up to 5 minutes! Any thoughts on whether this might help?
    Personally I think 5 minutes is way too long and could do damage. I feel your pain though, I have tight hamstrings (and a bum back) too. Gettin' there though.
    My favorite hamstring stretch is to just lie on the floor on my back, leave one leg straight out but ever so slightly bent, the other leg goes in the air, knee locked, and I use a belt around my foot to help pull the leg up; the higher the leg goes, the more the stretch. Point your toes back for even more stretch. No complex expensive machine necessary and it does the job nicely.
    Using dry rotted rubber bands for tendons..

Originally Posted by phigg View Post
    Personally I think 5 minutes is way too long and could do damage. I feel your pain though, I have tight hamstrings (and a bum back) too. Gettin' there though.
    My favorite hamstring stretch is to just lie on the floor on my back, leave one leg straight out but ever so slightly bent, the other leg goes in the air, knee locked, and I use a belt around my foot to help pull the leg up; the higher the leg goes, the more the stretch. Point your toes back for even more stretch. No complex expensive machine necessary and it does the job nicely.
    Yeah I would never do it for a full 5 minutes, but def 30 seconds or maybe a minute tops. The stretch itself feels like the one you describe and the design of the thing makes it a lot easier to keep the knee locked out. When I do what you do my knee always bends at least a little.

gentoo has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) gentoo has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) gentoo has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) gentoo has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) gentoo has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) gentoo has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    its very common in yoga to hold a stretch for 5 minutes but you have to keep breading properly.

There are lots of ways to stretch your hamstrings without a machine. Ever done stiff leg dead lifts on a bench?

another one of my favorite:
    1 - start from standing.
    2 - band forward bending your knees at first until your stomach is on your tights.
    3 - Then wrap your arms around your legs.
    4 - Try to make your legs straight while holding the back of your legs.

there are more ...

grumble1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) grumble1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) grumble1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) grumble1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) grumble1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) grumble1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) grumble1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) grumble1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) grumble1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) grumble1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) grumble1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    As someone who constantly struggles with tight hamstrings, I'd be willing to try this machine out. Makes stretching them easier, and looks like it'd work too as long as your form was good (ie back and pelvis locked, knees straight).