ADDicted2Fit has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ADDicted2Fit has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ADDicted2Fit has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ADDicted2Fit has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ADDicted2Fit has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ADDicted2Fit has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ADDicted2Fit has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ADDicted2Fit has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ADDicted2Fit has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Question I want to start sprinting to work my legs, what is the best way to go about it?

i've decided that I want to start sprinting, even tho when I went to the trainer he told me I don't need to start running till august, because I am trying to gain 10 lbs. before I ship to basic training October 1st, I weigh 106 now. I wanted to start now tho, because I'm not lifting yet, or working out, and I've had lack of appetite lately and I think it's due to my metabolism being slow, because I'm inactive right now. So if I start sprinting like once a week, that will get my metabolism up right? and help me to build muscle? If I sprinted on the treadmill for like 5 min intervals, and did this 5 times for a total of 25 minutes would that be a good start, or too much? I know to make sure I get my carbs to replace the calories I burned. So far I've had 3 boiled eggs and a protein shake, do I need to eat something else before I start?
    Last edited by ADDicted2Fit; 06-19-2009 at 08:24 AM.

futurebird will become famous soon enough. (+50) futurebird will become famous soon enough. (+50) futurebird will become famous soon enough. (+50) futurebird will become famous soon enough. (+50) futurebird will become famous soon enough. (+50) futurebird will become famous soon enough. (+50) futurebird will become famous soon enough. (+50) futurebird will become famous soon enough. (+50) futurebird will become famous soon enough. (+50) futurebird will become famous soon enough. (+50) futurebird will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    5 min is too long-- that's more like an endurance thing...

do 3 min at the highest speed you can stand 6 times with a very short jogging break.

And you better EAT or it will be counter productive for your goal of gaining muscle.
    TOO BIG TO FAIL.

swindled has a spectacular aura about. (+250) swindled has a spectacular aura about. (+250) swindled has a spectacular aura about. (+250) swindled has a spectacular aura about. (+250) swindled has a spectacular aura about. (+250) swindled has a spectacular aura about. (+250) swindled has a spectacular aura about. (+250) swindled has a spectacular aura about. (+250) swindled has a spectacular aura about. (+250) swindled has a spectacular aura about. (+250) swindled has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by futurebird View Post

do 3 min at the highest speed you can stand 6 times with a very short jogging break.

And you better EAT or it will be counter productive for your goal of gaining muscle.
    Definitely this. Also, have you thought of doing plyometrics?? I get some of my best leg results from plyometrics, they hurt like hell though

LilRed03 is a name known to all. (+5000) LilRed03 is a name known to all. (+5000) LilRed03 is a name known to all. (+5000) LilRed03 is a name known to all. (+5000) LilRed03 is a name known to all. (+5000) LilRed03 is a name known to all. (+5000) LilRed03 is a name known to all. (+5000) LilRed03 is a name known to all. (+5000) LilRed03 is a name known to all. (+5000) LilRed03 is a name known to all. (+5000) LilRed03 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Future is right...5 minutes is not a sprint. Think about sprinting events in track: 100m, 200m, 400m...Nowhere near 5 minutes to complete. Sprints are short bursts of energy!

Check out this sprint workout:

http://figureathlete.tmuscle.com/fre...o_great_glutes

Find a track and have at it!
    Last edited by LilRed03; 06-19-2009 at 10:05 AM.
    The question is not "who is going to let me," it's "who is going to stop me?"

with a booty like hers ATG might be at just parallel - HARRYBEAST

My journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=129205301

ADDicted2Fit has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ADDicted2Fit has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ADDicted2Fit has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ADDicted2Fit has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ADDicted2Fit has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ADDicted2Fit has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ADDicted2Fit has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ADDicted2Fit has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ADDicted2Fit has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by futurebird View Post

Ok I just did 1 min sprint at 6 mph, towards the end I did 7mph, and 3 min jog at 4 mph, 5 times, for 17 min, how's that? Now I'm going to go eat a sweet potato and some brown rice, and 1 peanut butter sandwich on whole wheat bread and glass of milk, is that good enough?

deracate chinese frower Mindi912's Avatar
    Location: Space Cadet City, ToughCookieVille, United Kingdom (Great Britain)
    Mindi912 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mindi912 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mindi912 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mindi912 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mindi912 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mindi912 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mindi912 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mindi912 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mindi912 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mindi912 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mindi912 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    If you are trying to gain weight then I wouldn't be looking to sprint start sprints either.
    Perfection in mind, perfect body!

MMA Fight Record:

Amateur 1 - 0 - 0

Pro - 0 - 0 - 1 :(

jersey31 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jersey31 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jersey31 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jersey31 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jersey31 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jersey31 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jersey31 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jersey31 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jersey31 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jersey31 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jersey31 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by ADDicted2Fit View Post
    i've decided that I want to start sprinting, even tho when I went to the trainer he told me I don't need to start running till august, because I am trying to gain 10 lbs. before I ship to basic training October 1st, I weigh 106 now. I wanted to start now tho, because I'm not lifting yet, or working out, and I've had lack of appetite lately and I think it's due to my metabolism being slow, because I'm inactive right now. So if I start sprinting like once a week, that will get my metabolism up right? and help me to build muscle? If I sprinted on the treadmill for like 5 min intervals, and did this 5 times for a total of 25 minutes would that be a good start, or too much? I know to make sure I get my carbs to replace the calories I burned. So far I've had 3 boiled eggs and a protein shake, do I need to eat something else before I start?
    By 5 minute intervals, do you mean sprinting for 2 minutes and walking for 3, or do you mean 5 minutes of sprinting? 5 minutes is way too long to sprint. I've heard to do anywhere from 30 seconds to 1 minute as fast as you can go then lower your speed to a slow walk until you're back at your resting heart rate, then repeat. I usually repeat 6-8 times. I could be doing sprints the wrong way, but it's what I've found when I researched about it.

Oh and I'm not so sure sprinting will help you gain muscle but it will aide in your fat loss.
    "Where there is no struggle, there is no strength"

healthierJ will become famous soon enough. (+50) healthierJ will become famous soon enough. (+50) healthierJ will become famous soon enough. (+50) healthierJ will become famous soon enough. (+50) healthierJ will become famous soon enough. (+50) healthierJ will become famous soon enough. (+50) healthierJ will become famous soon enough. (+50) healthierJ will become famous soon enough. (+50) healthierJ will become famous soon enough. (+50) healthierJ will become famous soon enough. (+50) healthierJ will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Sprinting is not going to aid you if you're trying to gain weight. And you have to eat far more then you've been eating. This is what I use when I sprint.
    10 minutes warm up jog
    Repeat 3 times - Stride hard for 30 seconds, jog 90 seconds. Repeat with 15 second decreases in recovery jog e.g. 30-90, 30-75, 30-60, 30-45, 30-30, 30-15 and 30-15-30
    10 minute cool down jog