MuscleMama76 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MuscleMama76 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Question Best Method for losing Body Fat?

After working out at the gym for 2.5 months now, I finally had my BF taken yesterday and it was a whopping 33%. I felt embarrassed, but the personal trainer that took my measurements said normal BF for women is betwwen 22%-27%. (Is this true, or was he just trying to make me feel better? Anyways, my question is...what is the best method besides your diet to loose BF? Increase cardio, decrease weights training or vice versa? I currently do 4 days of cardio (treadmill on incline and spin class) and 5 days of weight training?

Also, how long does it take to even loose 1% of BF? The personal trainer told me to come back in a month and he'll do my measurements again (he is not my trainer, he was just hanging around and I asked him for BF measurements).

Thanks,

mrsyac2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mrsyac2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mrsyac2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mrsyac2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by MuscleMama76 View Post
    After working out at the gym for 2.5 months now, I finally had my BF taken yesterday and it was a whopping 33%. I felt embarrassed, but the personal trainer that took my measurements said normal BF for women is betwwen 22%-27%. (Is this true, or was he just trying to make me feel better? Anyways, my question is...what is the best method besides your diet to loose BF? Increase cardio, decrease weights training or vice versa? I currently do 4 days of cardio (treadmill on incline and spin class) and 5 days of weight training?

Also, how long does it take to even loose 1% of BF? The personal trainer told me to come back in a month and he'll do my measurements again (he is not my trainer, he was just hanging around and I asked him for BF measurements).

Thanks,
    I have no idea how long it takes- I just had mine done and its 26% I need to decrease that by another 10%-
    Good luck.
    Keep hitting the weights hard the more muscle you have the more fat you will then burn.
    Pain is weakness leaving the body-

Tired of being chunky buns

MuscleMama76 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MuscleMama76 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by mrsyac2 View Post
    I have no idea how long it takes- I just had mine done and its 26% I need to decrease that by another 10%-
    Good luck.
    Keep hitting the weights hard the more muscle you have the more fat you will then burn.
    Thanks for the response! I always thought that weight training burns more fat than cardio does. Good luck to you!

Gettingthere69 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Gettingthere69 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Gettingthere69 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Gettingthere69 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Gettingthere69 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Gettingthere69 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Gettingthere69 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Gettingthere69 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Gettingthere69 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Gettingthere69 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Gettingthere69 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Wink

Thanks,
    the whole how long does it take to lose 1% fat in my personal experience varies.. as your LBM goes up and your bf% goes down, the actual poundage that equals 1% of bf for YOU will start to change (especially as you go leaner). I know right now with me about 2.65 lbs = 1 %. In a perfect world Id like to drop .75 - 1% a week but right now that isn't happening, its very frustrating as you think its just math with your cals, training etc, but us gals body sucks and all differs.

I've lost 1.5% since I started working out and eating clean about 4 weeks ago. couple inches off here and there too.

I'm *hoping* (I just started training again) It'll be about 3 % of fat a month. I'm giving myself a good yr (so next summer) to get back into shape. My bf is pretty high and id like to get it back down to 16 %, so I have a ways to go. But I figure even if I lose 1% a month I should still be on track for next june.

oh and you want to focus on weights, that will sculpt everything even if your goal is just to tone. Doing to much cardio you'll just become a smaller version of yourself. I'm actually backing off the cardio a bit, only doing 30 min after weights. And eating clean per the ladies on here's suggestion, something Ive never really done (im one of those 1 hr -2 hrs of cardio and frigging exhausted girls)

I know the body takes some time to adjust with everything so im trying to stay positive.

try not to get discouraged!
    Last edited by Gettingthere69; 06-18-2009 at 07:45 PM.

Originally Posted by Gettingthere69 View Post
    the whole how long does it take to lose 1% fat in my personal experience varies.. as your LBM goes up and your bf% goes down, the actual poundage that equals 1% of bf for YOU will start to change (especially as you go leaner). I know right now with me about 2.65 lbs = 1 %. In a perfect world Id like to drop .75 - 1% a week but right now that isn't happening, its very frustrating as you think its just math with your cals, training etc, but us gals body sucks and all differs.

I've lost 1.5% since I started working out and eating clean about 4 weeks ago. couple inches off here and there too.

I'm *hoping* (I just started training again) It'll be about 3 % of fat a month. I'm giving myself a good yr (so next summer) to get back into shape. My bf is pretty high and id like to get it back down to 16 %, so I have a ways to go. But I figure even if I lose 1% a month I should still be on track for next june.

oh and you want to focus on weights, that will sculpt everything even if your goal is just to tone. Doing to much cardio you'll just become a smaller version of yourself. I'm actually backing off the cardio a bit, only doing 30 min after weights. And eating clean per the ladies on here's suggestion, something Ive never really done (im one of those 1 hr -2 hrs of cardio and frigging exhausted girls)

I know the body takes some time to adjust with everything so im trying to stay positive.

try not to get discouraged!
    You've just told me what I wanted to hear...More weights and less cardio. That's what I thought. I love weight lifting and get so excited while weight training rather than doing cardio. I'm giving myself a goal of one year as well too...2 piece here I come next year...lol!!!

Gettingthere69 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Gettingthere69 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Gettingthere69 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Gettingthere69 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Gettingthere69 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Gettingthere69 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Gettingthere69 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Gettingthere69 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Gettingthere69 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Gettingthere69 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Gettingthere69 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Wink

You've just told me what I wanted to hear...More weights and less cardio. That's what I thought. I love weight lifting and get so excited while weight training rather than doing cardio. I'm giving myself a goal of one year as well too...2 piece here I come next year...lol!!!
    yays! we can do it.. I love this forum everyone is so nice and supportive here. I feel at home.

and we can all say what we want to say

I love lifting, hate cardio (unless its contact sports).

Me and the elliptical hate eachother

gl with your goals!

TallWorkouts has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TallWorkouts has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TallWorkouts has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TallWorkouts has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TallWorkouts has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TallWorkouts has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TallWorkouts has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TallWorkouts has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TallWorkouts has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TallWorkouts has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TallWorkouts has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    The only way that I lose weight is running on the treadmill at an incline of 9 and a slow speed of 3.8 to 3.9. If you keep running on the treadmill, you will lose weight. Make sure you start out slowly and pace yourself. Work your way up to running at least 3 days a week on the treadmill for 20 minutes without stopping.

nunu713 will become famous soon enough. (+50) nunu713 will become famous soon enough. (+50) nunu713 will become famous soon enough. (+50) nunu713 will become famous soon enough. (+50) nunu713 will become famous soon enough. (+50) nunu713 will become famous soon enough. (+50) nunu713 will become famous soon enough. (+50) nunu713 will become famous soon enough. (+50) nunu713 will become famous soon enough. (+50) nunu713 will become famous soon enough. (+50) nunu713 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Check your diet. Find out what your maintanence calories are, and then drop that by about 200-300. That's how many you should be eating for fat loss. Make sure you're choosing clean foods and use websites like fitday.com to track your calories. I would recommend a 20/40/40 split for f/c/p.

Weight training is more important than cardio - lift as heavy as you can.

Good luck!
    Hi, my name is Ellen, and I'm a peanut butter addict...

I do this because I can. I can because I want to. I want to because you said I couldn't.

twinnett is a name known to all. (+5000) twinnett is a name known to all. (+5000) twinnett is a name known to all. (+5000) twinnett is a name known to all. (+5000) twinnett is a name known to all. (+5000) twinnett is a name known to all. (+5000) twinnett is a name known to all. (+5000) twinnett is a name known to all. (+5000) twinnett is a name known to all. (+5000) twinnett is a name known to all. (+5000) twinnett is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by TallWorkouts View Post
    The only way that I lose weight is running on the treadmill at an incline of 9 and a slow speed of 3.8 to 3.9. If you keep running on the treadmill, you will lose weight. Make sure you start out slowly and pace yourself. Work your way up to running at least 3 days a week on the treadmill for 20 minutes without stopping.
    ????????
    "Faith is to believe what you do not yet see; the reward for this faith is to see what you believe. ": Saint Augustine

"So what exactly would you say you DO here??"

"Does this suit make me look fat??"
    "No, your face does."

nunu713 will become famous soon enough. (+50) nunu713 will become famous soon enough. (+50) nunu713 will become famous soon enough. (+50) nunu713 will become famous soon enough. (+50) nunu713 will become famous soon enough. (+50) nunu713 will become famous soon enough. (+50) nunu713 will become famous soon enough. (+50) nunu713 will become famous soon enough. (+50) nunu713 will become famous soon enough. (+50) nunu713 will become famous soon enough. (+50) nunu713 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by TallWorkouts View Post
    I can SORT OF understand this. My husband played sports from childhood through college - soccer, hockey, track, rowed crew, rugby, lacrosse - the list goes on and on. So when he starts doing cardio again (he normally does none when he's bulking), he drops weight really quickly. In my imagination, I think it's like his body saying "Oh yeah, I remember this" and it responds. I can't see it working for most women though - it certainly doesn't work for me.
    Hi, my name is Ellen, and I'm a peanut butter addict...

I do this because I can. I can because I want to. I want to because you said I couldn't.

eglionz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) eglionz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) eglionz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) eglionz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) eglionz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) eglionz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) eglionz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) eglionz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) eglionz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) eglionz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) eglionz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Cardio on an incline is pretty brutal.

I don't know about other people but I could run 10 min miles forever and barely break a sweat.

Jogging on an incline or doing the stepmill without holding the rails and with holding a 10lb plate has me sweating on my brow, back, stomach and even my thighs and arms within like 10 mins lol.