Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    65 tons of American Pride BluntD's Avatar
    BluntD has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BluntD has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BluntD has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BluntD has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BluntD has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BluntD has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BluntD has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BluntD has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BluntD has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BluntD has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BluntD has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by BigKev23 View Post
    Here is a hierarchy of training for mass from greater to lesser efficacy:
    1. Bodybuilding on steroids
    2. CrossFitting on steroids
    3. CrossFitting without steroids
    4. Bodybuilding without steroids

Natural bodybuilders (the natural ones that are not on steroids) never approach the mass that our ahtletes do. They don't come close.
    And here in lies why there are so many people that hate Crossfit, because of outlandish and flat out BULLSHIT claims just like this one.

I recognize Crossfit for what it is intended for, and it does a good job in that regards. But saying natural bodybuilders "never approach the mass that our athletes do." L O Fukin L.

For comparison sake, I have a good friend who strictly does Crossfit training, while I do more typical powerlifter/bodybuilder type training. He can definitely run circles around me when it comes to endurance and not getting tired as fast. His conditioning is off the charts and is good for him since he used to train mixed martial arts. But he can not outlift me in anything. Not even remotely close. And my muscle mass far outclasses his, even though he weighs a bit more then me (granted he is taller).

It is the elitist cult attitude of certain Crossfit groups like the one quoted above that give the overall program such a bad name.
    Return of the Mack?

nano.ix is a name known to all. (+5000) nano.ix is a name known to all. (+5000) nano.ix is a name known to all. (+5000) nano.ix is a name known to all. (+5000) nano.ix is a name known to all. (+5000) nano.ix is a name known to all. (+5000) nano.ix is a name known to all. (+5000) nano.ix is a name known to all. (+5000) nano.ix is a name known to all. (+5000) nano.ix is a name known to all. (+5000) nano.ix is a name known to all. (+5000)
    passed by a crossfit training gym on the way to work. the sign read Crossfit mil. training ... thought it was odd to group those together, but you can't tell unless you go in.

Cook's explanations are spot on. Fun thread to read.
    Last edited by nano.ix; 07-29-2009 at 11:14 AM.
    Ball-Worthy [bawl-wur-thee]
    -adjective

1) Something so epic you would sacrifice a testicle to get your hands on it:

-nano's journal is ball-worthy;
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=117646471

-nano's guitar
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=124088321

CookAndrewB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CookAndrewB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CookAndrewB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CookAndrewB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CookAndrewB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CookAndrewB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CookAndrewB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CookAndrewB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CookAndrewB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CookAndrewB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CookAndrewB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by ptwa9 View Post
    See this is why people trash on Crossfit. The followers are fanatics and will buy into anything on the crossfit forums. "Functional" is a sales pitch. Nothing more. If you build strong muscles, through whatever program, then well, 200lbs is 200lbs - that strength will translate into making many daily tasks much easier.
    I suppose I see that very differently. I think there is a difference between being able to get out there and apply your strength to any task set in front of you, and what you do in a weight room. Of course, my thoughts on the matter really changed when I started training for strongman. Strength from a weight room translates in a very general way, but I think that what the Crossfit people are getting at is that most people will benefit from being more well rounded. I agree. If you aren't training for SOMETHING then train for everything. Where is the harm in that?

Originally Posted by marmadogg View Post
    If all a man ever did and does it crossfit than they will be fairly skinny otherwise they would have to have a lot of muscle mass to begin with...reading comprehension is important.

Read my post again.

Crossfit is a good change of pace but should not be your main or only means of training.
    You assume too much about OTHER people's goals. Go back and read MY posts again.

Originally Posted by bull.dogz View Post
    For men, yes, I agree. They are really lean and do not look like "bodybuilders", but that's also not their goal.
    ^^^^
    This, Marmadogg.
    Originally Posted by nano.ix View Post
    passed by a crossfit training gym on the way to work. the sign read Crossfit mil. training ... thought it was odd to group those together, but you can't tell unless you go in.

Crook's explanations are spot on. Fun thread to read.
    Crook?
    GoRuck Challenge Journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=150446113

"No one could make a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little." -Edmund Burke

"Because your own strength is unequal to the task, do not assume that it is beyond the powers of man; but if anything is within the powers and province of man, believe that it is within your own compass also." -Marcus Aurelius

brudman is a name known to all. (+5000) brudman is a name known to all. (+5000) brudman is a name known to all. (+5000) brudman is a name known to all. (+5000) brudman is a name known to all. (+5000) brudman is a name known to all. (+5000) brudman is a name known to all. (+5000) brudman is a name known to all. (+5000) brudman is a name known to all. (+5000) brudman is a name known to all. (+5000) brudman is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by CookAndrewB View Post
    I suppose I see that very differently. I think there is a difference between being able to get out there and apply your strength to any task set in front of you, and what you do in a weight room. Of course, my thoughts on the matter really changed when I started training for strongman. Strength from a weight room translates in a very general way, but I think that what the Crossfit people are getting at is that most people will benefit from being more well rounded. I agree. If you aren't training for SOMETHING then train for everything. Where is the harm in that?
    I think I represent the consensus when I say the only time crossfit bashing is appropriate is when "coach" asserts that crossfitters have more mass than natural bodybuidlers or they are stronger than other strength athletes. Flat out ridiculous. However, the everyman who does crossfit is making a wise investment in his body.
    Crook?
    Yes. We know what you are.

CookAndrewB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CookAndrewB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CookAndrewB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CookAndrewB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CookAndrewB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CookAndrewB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CookAndrewB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CookAndrewB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CookAndrewB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CookAndrewB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CookAndrewB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by brudman View Post
    I think I represent the consensus when I say the only time crossfit bashing is appropriate is when "coach" asserts that crossfitters have more mass than natural bodybuidlers or they are stronger than other strength athletes. Flat out ridiculous. However, the everyman who does crossfit is making a wise investment in his body.

Yes. We know what you are.

No...

Well, the average "bodybuilder" weight on here is about 155lbs soaking wet at 6'+, so maybe the assertion that Crossfitters are bigger isn't too far off

Listen, I don't give two craps about Crossfit. I really don't. What really bothers me is the people on here who will act like they "know" something because they read it. Charles Poliquin badmouths Crossfit's apples because they aren't like his oranges? But then you get the swarm of no-brained fanboys who think they know something. THAT is just as rediculous as the crap that Crossfitters talk.

I admire what crossfitters can do. I admire what powerlifters can do, and I admire what a gymnast can do. Lots of different training modalities out there that I can appreciate, even if they aren't my cup of tea. I don't mock powerlifters for their innability to run a marathon, and I wouldn't mock a marathon runner for his innability to deadlift 500lbs. This whole debate is ignorance at it's finest.
    GoRuck Challenge Journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=150446113

"No one could make a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little." -Edmund Burke

"Because your own strength is unequal to the task, do not assume that it is beyond the powers of man; but if anything is within the powers and province of man, believe that it is within your own compass also." -Marcus Aurelius

Epictetus  IV is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Epictetus  IV is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Epictetus  IV is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Epictetus  IV is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Epictetus  IV is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Epictetus  IV is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Epictetus  IV is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Epictetus  IV is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Epictetus  IV is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Epictetus  IV is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Epictetus  IV is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    He's a big dude. Big guys generally tend to do ok on deadlifts...
    And notice the heavy lifts in a fatigued state isn't such a fantastic idea.
    Showoff? Sure. He's crossfit.
    Btw, his deadlift form isn't too hot either. Maybe if he focused more on setting himself for it, rather than improving his metabolic conditioning time...
    His deadlift form is fine, you're just searching for every little thing you can to talk shit about him. Quite pathetic.

Originally Posted by Kelei View Post
    Can you name one world class powerlifter, olympic lifter or bodybuilder who uses crossfit as the core of thier training? No I didn't think so. I know very well what crossfit is so please stop trying to play the ignorance card. As I have already said, there is nothing wrong wtih crossfit if your goals are simply general fitness, strength and flexibility etc, all I said was that crossfit is not a suitable primary method of strength/hypertrophy training.
    Why don't you go back and actually read what you just posted. Can I name one world class powerlifter, olympic lifter, or bodybuilder who uses crossfit as the core of their training? Obviously not you dumbass. Why would they? If they have a specific goal of let's say, being a power lifter, then they would focus only doing powerlifting lifts. If a persons goals was to be an olympic lifter, then they would do olympic training. Same with bodybuilders, obviously they would use more hypertrophy styled training. They have that specific goal, so they would used the specificity principle. A crossfitter's goals aren't to get huge, or to be an olympic lifting champion, or a record holding power lifter. But the benefits of each individual types of training can be worked together to have great results.

Could a bodybuilder do well with olympic lifting? No.
    Could a olympic lifter do well with stepping on stage at a bodybuilding show? No.
    Could a powerlifter do will stepping on stage at a bodybuildng show? No.

Your question is ridiculous. Here, answer me this: Can you name one world class olympic lifter that uses bodybuilding routines as the core of their training? Go ahead, answer it! No, I didn't think so.

But the fact of the matter is, that crossfitters can do each of those styles of training and do it pretty well. A crossfitter would do much better at olympic lifting than a bodybuilder would.

It's just funny to me that everyone in this thread who really doesn't know anything about crossfit or even have any common sense are bashing it. Case in point by our friend Kelei up here with once of the dumbest questions I've ever heard in my life. I'll say it one more time for the low IQ people who can't seem to read:

A crossfitters goal is NOT to get huge. A crossfitters goal is not to break records in powerlifting. A crossfitters goal is not to be the next Vasily Alexeev.

brudman is a name known to all. (+5000) brudman is a name known to all. (+5000) brudman is a name known to all. (+5000) brudman is a name known to all. (+5000) brudman is a name known to all. (+5000) brudman is a name known to all. (+5000) brudman is a name known to all. (+5000) brudman is a name known to all. (+5000) brudman is a name known to all. (+5000) brudman is a name known to all. (+5000) brudman is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Then why do natural crossfitters claim to be more massive than natural bodybuilders? Crossfit is badass. Don't get me wrong, it's just the attitude that many crossfitters have that give all a bad name. At my gym, the little crossfit crew that shows up and does stuff is impressive. They aren't all that strong, but they are impressive in their own rite. Their attitude is sh*tty though. If anyone in our sports had that attitude they'd get laughed off the platform or stage.

Crossfit is a training method for people who aren't in sports where specialization is necessary. It is not for comparison to said sports. It can be used to train for certain sports like MMA and even football (Crossfit Football). A crossfitter may be better at olympic lifting than bodybuilders, which is cool I guess, but it's not that great of a claim. So the attitude that Crossfit is a superior method is bullsh*t. So is the attitude that Crossfit is inferior. It is neither. It serves it's purpose.

There. Enough said.

Epictetus  IV is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Epictetus  IV is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Epictetus  IV is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Epictetus  IV is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Epictetus  IV is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Epictetus  IV is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Epictetus  IV is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Epictetus  IV is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Epictetus  IV is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Epictetus  IV is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Epictetus  IV is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Then why do natural crossfitters claim to be more massive than natural bodybuilders? Crossfit is badass. Don't get me wrong, it's just the attitude that many crossfitters have that give all a bad name. At my gym, the little crossfit crew that shows up and does stuff is impressive. They aren't all that strong, but they are impressive in their own rite. Their attitude is sh*tty though. If anyone in our sports had that attitude they'd get laughed off the platform or stage.

Crossfit is a training method for people who aren't in sports where specialization is necessary. It is not for comparison to said sports. It can be used to train for certain sports like MMA and even football (Crossfit Football). A crossfitter may be better at olympic lifting than bodybuilders, which is cool I guess, but it's not that great of a claim. So the attitude that Crossfit is a superior method is bullsh*t. So is the attitude that Crossfit is inferior. It is neither. It serves it's purpose.

There. Enough said.
    I've never met one crossfitter that made that claim, maybe it's just where you're at. I agree, it isn't for comparison, but when people start asking the dumbest questions I've ever heard such as, "Why don't world-class olympic lifters use crossfit as their core training?" then I have to answer it. Also, just because Glassman said something, does NOT mean that it is the claim of all the crossfitters, that's just silly.

Then why do natural crossfitters claim to be more massive than natural bodybuilders?
    I don't personally know any who do, or who would even care about such a claim. Don't confuse the words of one for the words of all

Their attitude is sh*tty though. If anyone in our sports had that attitude they'd get laughed off the platform or stage.
    Oh, c'mon Brud. Surely you aren't saying that bodybuilders and powerlifters aren't elitist in their own right! I know more prick bodybuilders and powerlifters than I care to count. I know nice ones too. Personalities are the name of the game if you want to win/sell. What kind of sales strategy is it to say "Yeah, our stuff is ok, it probably work out for you." You have to talk in absolutes, in extremes! The masses have to be convinced that you hold the key, right?

Powerlifters benefit from a "I'm better and stronger" attitude, as do MMA fighters, wrestlers, Olympic gymnasts, etc. I've never had an issue with this cockiness. It is an understandable part of sport (Look at T. Owens as an example). So why is it all of a sudden terrible that the Crossfitters have a little backbone?

I don't personally know any who do, or who would even care about such a claim. Don't confuse the words of one for the words of all

Oh, c'mon Brud. Surely you aren't saying that bodybuilders and powerlifters aren't elitist in their own right! I know more prick bodybuilders and powerlifters than I care to count. I know nice ones too. Personalities are the name of the game if you want to win/sell. What kind of sales strategy is it to say "Yeah, our stuff is ok, it probably work out for you." You have to talk in absolutes, in extremes! The masses have to be convinced that you hold the key, right?

Powerlifters benefit from a "I'm better and stronger" attitude, as do MMA fighters, wrestlers, Olympic gymnasts, etc. I've never had an issue with this cockiness. It is an understandable part of sport (Look at T. Owens as an example). So why is it all of a sudden terrible that the Crossfitters have a little backbone?
    Yeah I guess you have a point. Just one little guy at 24 hour fitness in Littleton CO sticks out at me. I guess he's not representative of the whole group. This is a stupid debate anyway. Apples are not better than oranges, it's just a matter of personal preference.

Yeah I guess you have a point. Just one little guy at 24 hour fitness in Littleton CO sticks out at me. I guess he's not representative of the whole group. This is a stupid debate anyway. Apples are not better than oranges, it's just a matter of personal preference.
    These guys take this seriously...

??????

What about powerlifters who crossfit and crossfitters who bodybuildpowerliftmmafootball?

EDIT: My head exploded all over my office looking at this picture.

bluedot is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bluedot is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bluedot is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bluedot is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bluedot is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bluedot is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bluedot is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bluedot is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bluedot is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bluedot is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bluedot is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I'm going to try to express two incredibly well-worn, trite sentiments without sounding like a Hallmark card... let's hope it works:

Most of the people who knock CrossFit do it without really knowing too much about it. To be honest, that's fine and it's understandable and in most aspects of life that kind of thing -- call it a "smell test" or profiling or whatever -- serves people well. You hear just enough to call B.S. and then move on with your life. It's how smart people don't fall for Nigerian scammers. In this sense, I don't expect that people who don't like CrossFit will be well-versed in the methodology; I don't know much about the Hari Krishna, Lyndon LaRouche, or Amway and I reject them as well.

So how about you try it? Most of the workouts take 20 minutes or so to do. Pick one that uses movements you know and really bust your ass to get your best time on it. You'll see why it is that the people who do CrossFit don't question its efficacy as a training tool. We all have twenty minutes, right? If you're adventurous, do 3 workouts in a week and see how you feel. This isn't to try to convert anyone or anything like that... just to say that it's not all that hard to get a feel for a CrossFit workout for someone who knows a few lifts. It's a faster way to get your head around it than reading loads of articles.

Hopefully I got "they just don't know" and "try it before you knock it" out in a reasonable manner.
    Last edited by bluedot; 07-29-2009 at 05:16 PM.
    Journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=112804051

BluntD has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BluntD has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BluntD has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BluntD has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BluntD has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BluntD has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BluntD has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BluntD has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BluntD has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BluntD has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BluntD has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Epictetus IV View Post
    I've never met one crossfitter that made that claim, maybe it's just where you're at. I agree, it isn't for comparison, but when people start asking the dumbest questions I've ever heard such as, "Why don't world-class olympic lifters use crossfit as their core training?" then I have to answer it. Also, just because Glassman said something, does NOT mean that it is the claim of all the crossfitters, that's just silly.
    Every group is going to have its fair share of elitist pricks. But it's not the crossfitter's themselves making those remarks that some of us take issue with. It's because that ridiculous claim is made RIGHT ON THE FREAKIN OFFICIAL CROSSFIT WEBSITE!

Not only is a comment of "Natural bodybuilders (the natural ones that are not on steroids) never approach the mass that our ahtletes do. They don't come close." flat out BS, but considering they charge high fees to become a "certified" instructor or train at an official Crossfit-sponsored gym, it reeks of a sales-pitch... a pitch spreading false information. Sorry but that just doesn't cut it for me. Instilling that dogma in others is no different then parrots spreading stupid sh*t on this site, IMO.

Again, nothing against the training. It serves its purpose well with what it's intended for. In fact I'm planning on hitting up some sessions with my buddy over the weekends to work on improving my conditioning levels. But don't tell me, as a natural bodybuilder, that with my training I "can't come close" in approaching the mass of a crossfitter. Please.
    Last edited by BluntD; 07-29-2009 at 05:44 PM.
    Return of the Mack?

Originally Posted by BluntD View Post
    Every group is going to have its fair share of elitist pricks. But it's not the crossfitter's themselves making those remarks that some of us take issue with. It's because that ridiculous claim is made RIGHT ON THE FREAKIN OFFICIAL CROSSFIT WEBSITE!

Not only is a comment of "Natural bodybuilders (the natural ones that are not on steroids) never approach the mass that our ahtletes do. They don't come close." flat out BS, but considering they charge high fees to become a "certified" instructor or train at an official Crossfit-sponsored gym, it reeks of a sales-pitch... a pitch spreading false information. Sorry but that just doesn't cut it for me. Instilling that dogma in others is no different then parrots spreading stupid sh*t on this site, IMO.

Again, nothing against the training. It serves its purpose well with what it's intended for. In fact I'm planning on hitting up some sessions with my buddy over the weekends to work on improving my conditioning levels. But don't tell me, as a natural bodybuilder, that with my training I "can't come close" in approaching the mass of a crossfitter. Please.
    Calm down there guy. I'm not telling you that as a natty bodybuilder you can't come close to the mass of a crossfitter. Don't think that just because it's on the website that every crossfitter sips from the crossfit koolaid. Why are you so worked up over this one sentence? It's not like crossfitters really give a **** about bodybuilders. Just let it go. The vast majority of crossfitters don't give a **** about size, so quit getting your panties in a bunch. Just because a guy on the website says something, DOES NOT MEAN THAT EVERYONE BELIEVES IT OR EVEN CARES ABOUT IT. Don't think that anyone is "instilling that dogma in others" either because I've never even heard of that or seen it until this thread.

Crossfit is tried and tested, and is a very effective and efficient training protocol. Everything is backed in empirical support and science. There are literally hundreds of videos out there explaining why we train the way we do and how it improves fitness. I'll start you out with one:

http://media.crossfit.com/cf-video/C...Functional.mov

SpongeTom will become famous soon enough. (+50) SpongeTom will become famous soon enough. (+50) SpongeTom will become famous soon enough. (+50) SpongeTom will become famous soon enough. (+50) SpongeTom will become famous soon enough. (+50) SpongeTom will become famous soon enough. (+50) SpongeTom will become famous soon enough. (+50) SpongeTom will become famous soon enough. (+50) SpongeTom will become famous soon enough. (+50) SpongeTom will become famous soon enough. (+50) SpongeTom will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    The vast majority of crossfitters don't give a **** about size, [/url]
    Exactly! As I said before, but was apparently ignored, most proper crossfitters are on calorie restricted diets like the Zone. So of course they arent going to get huge.
    Height - 5'11""
    Weight - 88kg

Current Program - Texas Method

Kelei is a name known to all. (+5000) Kelei is a name known to all. (+5000) Kelei is a name known to all. (+5000) Kelei is a name known to all. (+5000) Kelei is a name known to all. (+5000) Kelei is a name known to all. (+5000) Kelei is a name known to all. (+5000) Kelei is a name known to all. (+5000) Kelei is a name known to all. (+5000) Kelei is a name known to all. (+5000) Kelei is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I like cheese.
    No wonder crossfit is a joke. You're a fine ambassador if I may say so .

ptwa9 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ptwa9 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ptwa9 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ptwa9 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ptwa9 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ptwa9 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ptwa9 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ptwa9 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ptwa9 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ptwa9 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ptwa9 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Listen, I don't give two craps about Crossfit. I really don't. What really bothers me is the people on here who will act like they "know" something because they read it. Charles Poliquin badmouths Crossfit's apples because they aren't like his oranges? But then you get the swarm of no-brained fanboys who think they know something. THAT is just as rediculous as the crap that Crossfitters talk.

I admire what crossfitters can do. I admire what powerlifters can do, and I admire what a gymnast can do. Lots of different training modalities out there that I can appreciate, even if they aren't my cup of tea. I don't mock powerlifters for their innability to run a marathon, and I wouldn't mock a marathon runner for his innability to deadlift 500lbs. This whole debate is ignorance at it's finest.
    No, I don't think you quite get it. Have you spent a lot of time on the crossfit forums? The guys are simply lunatic sheep. And blind religious zealots (complete zealots like x50). I'm not making this up.

ptwa9 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ptwa9 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ptwa9 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ptwa9 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ptwa9 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ptwa9 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ptwa9 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ptwa9 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ptwa9 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ptwa9 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ptwa9 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    His deadlift form is fine, you're just searching for every little thing you can to talk shit about him. Quite pathetic.
    Oh really? Check out the back rounding pull at 2:42

But the fact of the matter is, that crossfitters can do each of those styles of training and do it pretty well. A crossfitter would do much better at olympic lifting than a bodybuilder would.[/b]
    There you go again. Spout total bs. As an airforce recruit which uses CrossFit to train, you sure do think it's the shit.
    Look why don't you bring over the zealots to this thread. The kicking and screaming is hilarious.
    Last edited by ptwa9; 07-29-2009 at 11:31 PM.

No, I don't think you quite get it. Have you spent a lot of time on the crossfit forums? The guys are simply lunatic sheep. And blind religious zealots (complete zealots like x50). I'm not making this up.
    Are you kidding me? So now you're throwing out Ad Hominems without backing up your claims in the slightest. Blind religious zealots? How do you know their religious preferences? You're a nut job.

Originally Posted by Kelei View Post
    No wonder crossfit is a joke. You're a fine ambassador if I may say so .
    Exactly what someone says when they've been completely destroyed and have nothing substantial to add as a rebuttal.

Are you kidding me? So now you're throwing out Ad Hominems without backing up your claims in the slightest. Blind religious zealots? How do you know their religious preferences? You're a nut job.
    I'm gonna go live with cavemen and eat only nuts from now on (and raw sprouted vegetables).

GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Well, the inevitable sh-tstorm has sprung up; I guess I didn't help matters much.

FWIW, as I said before, CF is a decent programme for what it is. If you want what they say you'll get, then that's all fine and good. Where some people are going wrong is that they're taking the claims of one group from one spokesperson and transferring it to the entire group. To wit, CF site claims (the reprint was from BigKev) that it'll make you bigger than a natty bodybuilder. (Yes, I misread it, went slightly ballistic on Kev for supposedly him printing this stuff instead of really reading where it came from. Bad eyes and all that...digression over). Sorry, not happening, unless said CF-er is a mutant.

As for the vid, I wasn't knocking Epictetus in my previous posts, BTW; I'm just saying that most of the guys I know who do CrossFit are neither as big as this dude nor as strong--mainly because they are trying to watch what they eat. Which is fine. (And by the way, when he does the "climb-the-rings" thing in the first vid, that's gonna eventually screw up his rotators if he keeps jerking himself up that way).

While I can't speak for every guy who trains a different style, I can say that having done almost every kind of training out there save strongman training, is that each group has its own decent dudes and total jerks. That's just the way it is. I would never jump down a powerlifter's throat for doing the kind of training he does, nor would I harp on an Olympic lifter or a bodybuilder. Or a CrossFit trainer; all ways of training are good for those who want that kind of training. Period. So this makes it kind of a non-issue for me.

I'd just ask all those involved to take a step back and appreciate each style of training for what it has to offer. I've said enough and shot off my big mouth enough; carry on, all...
    "Don't call me Miss Kitty. Just...don't."--Catnip. Check out the Catnip Trilogy on Amazon.com

"Chivalry isn't dead. It just wears a skirt."--Twisted, the YA gender bender deal of the century!

Check out my links to Mr. Taxi, Star Maps, and other fine YA Action/Romance novels at http://www.amazon.com/J.S.-Frankel/e/B004XUUTB8/ref=dp_byline_cont_ebooks_1

CitadelMarine is on a distinguished road. (+10) CitadelMarine is on a distinguished road. (+10) CitadelMarine is on a distinguished road. (+10) CitadelMarine is on a distinguished road. (+10) CitadelMarine is on a distinguished road. (+10) CitadelMarine is on a distinguished road. (+10) CitadelMarine is on a distinguished road. (+10) CitadelMarine is on a distinguished road. (+10) CitadelMarine is on a distinguished road. (+10) CitadelMarine is on a distinguished road. (+10) CitadelMarine is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Well, I preface my comments with the statement that I don't think i really qualify as either a die-hard Crossfitter, or a bodybuilder. However, I've consistently done both serious BB/strength type workouts, and I've tried Corssfit.

In response to the original question, 'Why is it bad', in this particular case, on these particular forums, it's bad because it's not bodybuilding. As some have said, Crossfit does not generally lend itself to amassing bulk, or 'strength' as we commonly view it at the gym.

It does, in my humble opinion, improve Useable Strength, or what was previously refferred to as GPP I believe. It also improves overall fitness, whereas weightlifting and bodybuilding tend to improve overall physique. As was mentioned apples to oranges.

My use of Crossfit has been as preperation for Military training, and improving my overall fitness and strength. I do the strength training to help build the size and more specific strengths that are sorta expected of a military man. As far as preparing you for military stuff, I've found Crossfit EXTREMELY effective. I did 1 to 2 crossfit workouts a day, on top of weight training, and hit Officer Candidates School (USMC), and found 95% of the physical training to be a piece of cake.

That said, this is also because I'd built a pretty good strength base through weight training before hand. I don't think this is an either or type choice. Crossfit provides a really good cardio workout in addition to the general strength training, and I've come to use it at the end of weight training as a way to do cardio without hitting a treadmill. It hurts a little more, but with the right recovery time, I've found it rather effective (Granted, i'm not huge like many of the guys in here).

In summary, my experience dictates that if you're looking to be the musclar guy on the beach, bodybuilding and weight training is for you... if you're more concerned about endurance, and cardio, but want to be able to easily move your bodyweight (for obstacles and things... you'll notice a lot of crossfit has your base weight as your bodyweight). Crossfit for military types is highly recommended, for the average person, or bodybuilder, I'd argue it's just another tool in the toolbox.
    "Pain is your friend... all your other friends will desert you and forsake you, but pain will never leave you. It is by pain you will know that you are alive."

Mata Leao is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mata Leao is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mata Leao is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mata Leao is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mata Leao is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mata Leao is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mata Leao is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mata Leao is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mata Leao is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mata Leao is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mata Leao is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    were on bodybuilding.com, so dont be suprised that alot of ppl dont like crossfit, crossfit is about being effective and power/endurance and strength is their goals not looking good or developing upper,inner,outer chest or doing bicep curls, crossfit is legit and i got alot of respect, i would pick the crossfitter in any athletic endeavour over the bodybuilder,bb is just looks.
    Last edited by thailegacy; 07-30-2009 at 12:48 AM.
    ADMA Muay Thai gym.

SQUAT(ATG)- 275 (x15)
    DEADLIFT- 445 (x 6 W/CHALK)
    PRESS- 195 (3x5)
    DIPS- bw+55lbs-----3x8
    PULLUPS- bw+70lbs-3x8- MAX 110lbs added so around 305 total weight.

-STOP BEING A "FRIEND" AND FINISH THE DEAL.
    betheseducer.com {meet women,attract women,seduce women}

Kelei is a name known to all. (+5000) Kelei is a name known to all. (+5000) Kelei is a name known to all. (+5000) Kelei is a name known to all. (+5000) Kelei is a name known to all. (+5000) Kelei is a name known to all. (+5000) Kelei is a name known to all. (+5000) Kelei is a name known to all. (+5000) Kelei is a name known to all. (+5000) Kelei is a name known to all. (+5000) Kelei is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Exactly what someone says when they've been completely destroyed and have nothing substantial to add as a rebuttal.
    You're too funny, really. I'm curious as to what exactly I said that you don't agree with, please be specific because currently it seems as though you are whining just for the sake of whining. I've stated that crossfit is a good general conditioning and fitness program and if those are your golas then crossfit is suitable, however crossfit is not optimal for maximal strength or hypertrophy development, I have never said that crossfit will not result in "some" strength and hypertrophy, I simply said that if your golas are maximal strength/hypertrophy it means crossfit is not the best way to go about it.
    Last edited by Kelei; 07-30-2009 at 02:04 AM.

Calm down there guy. I'm not telling you that as a natty bodybuilder you can't come close to the mass of a crossfitter. Don't think that just because it's on the website that every crossfitter sips from the crossfit koolaid. Why are you so worked up over this one sentence? It's not like crossfitters really give a **** about bodybuilders. Just let it go. The vast majority of crossfitters don't give a **** about size, so quit getting your panties in a bunch. Just because a guy on the website says something, DOES NOT MEAN THAT EVERYONE BELIEVES IT OR EVEN CARES ABOUT IT. Don't think that anyone is "instilling that dogma in others" either because I've never even heard of that or seen it until this thread.

Crossfit is tried and tested, and is a very effective and efficient training protocol. Everything is backed in empirical support and science. There are literally hundreds of videos out there explaining why we train the way we do and how it improves fitness. I'll start you out with one:

http://media.crossfit.com/cf-video/C...Functional.mov
    Alright first off, no one is getting worked up or getting their panties in a bunch. We're having a debate. Leave the snide remarks out of it. Much like what you said to the other guy, I could comment that saying "just let it go" is usually a sign of someone lacking a good rebuttal as well, but I digress...

All I'm pointing out is that if an official website of a specific training method makes a bold statement that is obviously false, you should expect it to be ridiculed. Let's say Bodybuilding.com makes a claim that training like Jay Cutler would automatically make you more physically fit then anyone doing Crossfit, and it wouldn't be close. Would you not expect a Crossfitter to come on here and refute that? I sure as hell would, because it's obviously untrue.

While you may know the truth about Crossfit training, whether you want to admit it or not a lot of people do sip from the Crossfit koolaid and it's exactly because of statements like that one posted on their website. Usually it's from newbies that don't know any better yet. I've met many people IRL, including my friend, who for the longest time would try to ram Crossfit down my throat and how my method of training was so "inferior" to his. It's because he bought hook line and sinker into the cult-like attitude of a number (read: not ALL) of Crossfitters, spawned from that website in attempt to, like I said, influence sales of its program. Maybe that attitude has begun to die down some, but you can't deny it was overly present at one point when Crossfit first began gaining popularity.

As far as the last part of your post... what, exactly, was your point there? I don't need to be educated about Crossfit, I don't need links. I already mentioned numerous times that I think Crossfit is an effective training method and efficient at what it sets out to do. For f*ck's sake I even said I was planning on giving it a go soon. Do you just choose to read certain parts of peoples' posts while overlooking others? Maybe it is you that has gotten his panties in a bunch over there.
    Return of the Mack?

justinxxxl has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Really???

Originally Posted by marmadogg View Post
    Crossfit (when used as the only training tool) makes women's physiques astoundingly hot but makes the vast majority of men skinny and weak looking.
    I disagree 50%. the women part yes!! I do agree that "crossfit" type circut training and station based training will not cake on muscle mass. However it will increase your power and lower your bodyfat drastically. Im only 173lbs 7.5%BF and I deadlift 460 (and yes I have video), i can do a 128Lb+body weight weighted pull up amongest other stuff. I think I look lean and strong....I am changing my routine to 2 days a week "crossfit" and 4 days hypertrophy because I DO wanna cake on some serious muscle...just my 2 cents
    f3fitness.com for the pinnacle of dynamic performance training

justinxxxl has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I think there are 2 different threads here...

1. crossfit the company
    2. crossfit workouts

I do some of the workouts I am not a member of CF, also I am not claiming to be better than anyone. Its just my current training regiment.

Greg Valentino said it best: What works for him, dosent mean it will work for you. truth
    f3fitness.com for the pinnacle of dynamic performance training

Originally Posted by bluedot View Post
    Hopefully I got "they just don't know" and "try it before you knock it" out in a reasonable manner.
    Since I jumped on the bandwagon of being annoyed by crossfitters, I will sprinkle in some of the workouts as my GPP instead of doing car pushes this week. I could use a little variety anyway. I'll throw it in my training log. NO laughing at my times on those workouts.