Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    klaus42 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) klaus42 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) klaus42 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) klaus42 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) klaus42 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) klaus42 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) klaus42 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) klaus42 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) klaus42 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) klaus42 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    A lot of cool info about arm wrestling. I am currious about the types of fractures that can happen in this sport.

Armbender is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Armbender is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Armbender is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Armbender is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Armbender is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Armbender is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Armbender is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Armbender is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Armbender is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Armbender is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Armbender is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by klaus42 View Post
    A lot of cool info about arm wrestling. I am currious about the types of fractures that can happen in this sport.
    they are usually rotary breaks that happen between the shoulder and elbow. But are certainly avoidable and are done from carlessly ArmWrestling. Biggest tip is to ALWAYS look at your hand....this prevents a lot of injuries...another tip is to stop countertop armwrestling...meaning..use a real Armwrestling table...thats what it is intended for...and lastely, always warm up like you would for any workout or sport...yu have to really warm the tendons up to prevent injury
    USPlabs Sponsored Athlete
    http://usplabsdirect.com/

In order to win...you must first learn how to lose...

C.O.C. Grippers #1 - CLOSED
    C.O.C. Grippers #2 - CLOSED

My Training Journal -
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=110517591

hema456 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    thank you

Armbender is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Armbender is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Armbender is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Armbender is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Armbender is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Armbender is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Armbender is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Armbender is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Armbender is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Armbender is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Armbender is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by hema456 View Post
    thank you
    your welcome...

My Training Journal -

bmxunknown is not very helpful. (-500) bmxunknown is not very helpful. (-500) bmxunknown is not very helpful. (-500) bmxunknown is not very helpful. (-500) bmxunknown is not very helpful. (-500) bmxunknown is not very helpful. (-500) bmxunknown is not very helpful. (-500) bmxunknown is not very helpful. (-500) bmxunknown is not very helpful. (-500) bmxunknown is not very helpful. (-500) bmxunknown is not very helpful. (-500)
    great post. really interesting. im going to try the top roll next time when i arm wrestler ha..

question though.

is strength > technique or the other way around.

like 60% strength to 40% technique?

Originally Posted by bmxunknown View Post
    great post. really interesting. im going to try the top roll next time when i arm wrestler ha..

question though.

is strength > technique or the other way around.

like 60% strength to 40% technique?
    Thats a common question. Its really hard to put a number on each of these. The problem is I can beat new people in the sport at almost any weight. After a few attempts I can usually find a weak spot and use that to get a pin regardless of thier strength. But eventually, in order to use your technique, you have to have the strength to back it up.

At the beggining of your training its Strength > Technique.
    Middle of your training Technique > Strength
    Peak of your training Technique = Strength

I hope this answers your question

My Training Journal -

TIP #21 - Loose Grip vs Firm Grip (To load or not to load)

This is another common question. Should I squeeze my opponents hand and show how strong I am, or should I leave my hand really loose and surprise him/her.

To a certain extent, this is by prefernce. The Japanese ArmWrestlers are well known for having an extrememly loose grip where their fingers sort of hover on the back of your hand. The advantage for this is speed.

You can practice this just sitting on your couch. Put your arm into an Arm-Wrestling position, now squeeze your hand and flex your whole arm. Now try to hit as fast as you can. Now try it with a loose grip and loose arm. You will see a huge difference.

The problem with a loose grip is that you can get caught out of position with your hand, or, if your not that fast, lose the ability to stop someone elses hit.

A firm grip has pros and cons as well. By squeezing your opponent as hard as you can (primarily called loading), you can intimidate your opponent if you can generate enough pressure and it allows you to slow down a fast hit from someone.

The problem with a firm grip or loading, is that it can tell your opponent what you are going to do. Just by the pressure of your fingers in certain areas can give away your move and give your opponent and advantage. Also with loading, you can actually burn yourself out before the match begins.

The ideal way for me (again this is personal preference) is somewhere in between. I like to have pressure in my arm giving some back and side pressure, but with a medium grip. This allows me to have the stopping power for a fast hitter, the ability to hide what move I am trying to do, and have stamina left to pull of that move.

This is something that certainly should be tried at practice multiple times to see what works for you. It may vary from opponent to opponent.

My Training Journal -

Smett has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Smett has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Smett has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Smett has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Smett has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    i ****ed my elbow up arm wrestling.. Slowed me down in the gym! Never again haha

Originally Posted by Smett View Post
    i ****ed my elbow up arm wrestling.. Slowed me down in the gym! Never again haha
    how did it happen?. Did you properly warm up, were you using bad form, have you ever Arm-Wrestled before...

I could say that i hurt myself rock climbing when i fell, but if i had no safety equipment or lessons i can't really complain too much more...

My Training Journal -

TIP #22 - Learn How to Use Your Fingers and Wrist

This is more of an exercise rather than a tip but it can be used in either application.

Arm-Wrestling (Suicides)

Pretty much 50-60% pressure from each person, moving from winning to losing position at a slow rate, building upto a fast rate never pinning the opponent just getting the motion and the pressure. Try this for 60 seconds each arm in a top-roll then switch to a hook. Complete 3 sets of each style of pulling.

When you're doing this, concentrate on how your wrist is being affected in the winning position and also the losing position. See where your fingers are and how changing the pressure on each finger can increase or decrease your leverage strength. Each time you change the are that you concentrate on with your fingers, you change the way your wrist is used during your match.

I noticed right away that in the winning position (top-roll) that I have more torque when utilizing fringer pressure at the tips of hte fingers where-as in the losing position, I found I was better defensivley with I utilized my finger pressure not from the tips, but from the first joint down from the tips.

This exercise is also great for building up your stamina.

My Training Journal -

CKlashin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Great thread Will.
    Awesome Idea.

Another great place to direct people is to the ASK THE CHAMP section of INTHEHOOK.COM.
    Currently #1 ranked puller (armwrestler) in the world offers amazing training advice and answers questions.

Originally Posted by CKlashin View Post
    Great thread Will.
    Awesome Idea.

Another great place to direct people is to the ASK THE CHAMP section of INTHEHOOK.COM.
    Currently #1 ranked puller (armwrestler) in the world offers amazing training advice and answers questions.
    Absolutely Curtis..thanks,..

My Training Journal -

imryanblank is just really nice. (+1000) imryanblank is just really nice. (+1000) imryanblank is just really nice. (+1000) imryanblank is just really nice. (+1000) imryanblank is just really nice. (+1000) imryanblank is just really nice. (+1000) imryanblank is just really nice. (+1000) imryanblank is just really nice. (+1000) imryanblank is just really nice. (+1000) imryanblank is just really nice. (+1000) imryanblank is just really nice. (+1000)
    Great read! Thanks for posting.
    Reps

Originally Posted by imryanblank View Post
    Great read! Thanks for posting.
    Reps
    Thanks man..hopefully more tips to be posted soon

My Training Journal -

samglauber has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) samglauber has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) samglauber has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) samglauber has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) samglauber has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) samglauber has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) samglauber has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) samglauber has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) samglauber has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) samglauber has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) samglauber has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

Great Article

Originally Posted by Armbender View Post
    Thanks man..hopefully more tips to be posted soon
    I saw this video on youtube of Magnus Samuelson armwrestling. I think he used to be the european champ. He mention something called top pressure. Bassically it's leaning back and pulling your opponent's arm up. This forces him to have to use his energy to keep his elbow on the pad.

You can find the vid on youtube just search 'Magnus Samuelson Armwrestling'. There's also a crazy video of him breaking Mega Man's arm in a strong man.

What's your opinion on this move.

Originally Posted by samglauber View Post
    I saw this video on youtube of Magnus Samuelson armwrestling. I think he used to be the european champ. He mention something called top pressure. Bassically it's leaning back and pulling your opponent's arm up. This forces him to have to use his energy to keep his elbow on the pad.

You can find the vid on youtube just search 'Magnus Samuelson Armwrestling'. There's also a crazy video of him breaking Mega Man's arm in a strong man.

What's your opinion on this move.
    Yes he used to be a very good ArmWrestler back in the day.

The move he is referring to is pressing down with your elbow while applying back pressure generated from your lats. Its good for maintaining contact with the elbow pad (so "you" dont get a foul.) It is a defensive move and you would have to be very strong to accomplish this. I would only do this if I knew I was much stronger than my opponent and I could beat him based on stamina.

My Training Journal -

parsnip1965 will become famous soon enough. (+50) parsnip1965 will become famous soon enough. (+50) parsnip1965 will become famous soon enough. (+50) parsnip1965 will become famous soon enough. (+50) parsnip1965 will become famous soon enough. (+50) parsnip1965 will become famous soon enough. (+50) parsnip1965 will become famous soon enough. (+50) parsnip1965 will become famous soon enough. (+50) parsnip1965 will become famous soon enough. (+50) parsnip1965 will become famous soon enough. (+50) parsnip1965 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by lakerzfan07 View Post
    my 31 year old 5'8" 150lb cousin beat me at arm wrestling, and he doesn't even lift weights! got an okay looking pair of arms tho lol.
    that's right, it's all technique! Well, almost all.

Thanks for an outstanding article on AW.

sapdori is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sapdori is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sapdori is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sapdori is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sapdori is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sapdori is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sapdori is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sapdori is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sapdori is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sapdori is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sapdori is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Great post! I just have one quesiton. Can I train my wrist and grip 3 times a week with 2-3 exercises or is it too much?(i.e day1-plate pinch,plate wrist curl,gripper / day2-wrist roller/reverse wrist curl / day3-plate pinch/dumbbell wrist curl

wp152wrester has a spectacular aura about. (+250) wp152wrester has a spectacular aura about. (+250) wp152wrester has a spectacular aura about. (+250) wp152wrester has a spectacular aura about. (+250) wp152wrester has a spectacular aura about. (+250) wp152wrester has a spectacular aura about. (+250) wp152wrester has a spectacular aura about. (+250) wp152wrester has a spectacular aura about. (+250) wp152wrester has a spectacular aura about. (+250) wp152wrester has a spectacular aura about. (+250) wp152wrester has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    very nicely wrote and awesome info
    My Fat Loss Log
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=121788051

I don't believe there's pleasure in life. I believe there's only a relief of pain. We have to suffer to be on top. -Geogres St. Pierre

Pimmelmann has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Pimmelmann has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    nice article

Originally Posted by sapdori View Post
    Great post! I just have one quesiton. Can I train my wrist and grip 3 times a week with 2-3 exercises or is it too much?(i.e day1-plate pinch,plate wrist curl,gripper / day2-wrist roller/reverse wrist curl / day3-plate pinch/dumbbell wrist curl
    I would start once every 4 days, then after a few months of building upto it, ince every 3 days...its very easy to overtrain your wrists and you never know until its too late...

My Training Journal -

squatnoob405 will become famous soon enough. (+50) squatnoob405 will become famous soon enough. (+50) squatnoob405 will become famous soon enough. (+50) squatnoob405 will become famous soon enough. (+50) squatnoob405 will become famous soon enough. (+50) squatnoob405 will become famous soon enough. (+50) squatnoob405 will become famous soon enough. (+50) squatnoob405 will become famous soon enough. (+50) squatnoob405 will become famous soon enough. (+50) squatnoob405 will become famous soon enough. (+50) squatnoob405 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Armbender, quick question..

what kind of benefit to you see when using the joint supplement (SUPER CISSUS from USPLabs)? its a lot more expensive than the common glucosamine+chondroitin / MSM joint pills.

thanks and good article!

Originally Posted by squatnoob405 View Post
    Armbender, quick question..

what kind of benefit to you see when using the joint supplement (SUPER CISSUS from USPLabs)? its a lot more expensive than the common glucosamine+chondroitin / MSM joint pills.

thanks and good article!
    it was more in the tendons for recovery and injury prevention...its hard to explain but I am able to do more now using Super Cissus Rx than when I wasnt. I have tried the Bulk Cissus as well but not with near the results...

My Training Journal -

dat dere stick insect noflyingcars's Avatar
    noflyingcars is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) noflyingcars is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) noflyingcars is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) noflyingcars is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) noflyingcars is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) noflyingcars is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) noflyingcars is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) noflyingcars is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) noflyingcars is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) noflyingcars is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) noflyingcars is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Really interesting thread with good information.

However, I don't like arm wrestle because it's too much affected by the lenght of the arm.
    If your opponent is shorter he will have an overwhelming advantage because he'll have a much better lever.

Originally Posted by noflyingcars View Post
    Really interesting thread with good information.

However, I don't like arm wrestle because it's too much affected by the lenght of the arm.
    If your opponent is shorter he will have an overwhelming advantage because he'll have a much better lever.
    Thats actually incorrect...It is true that a shorter arm will have a better hook and a taller arm will have a better top-roll....however, there are huge disadvantages to having a tall arm if the opponent knows what he is doing...Id take a long arm anyday in a match...

My Training Journal -

dat dere stick insect noflyingcars's Avatar
    noflyingcars is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) noflyingcars is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) noflyingcars is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) noflyingcars is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) noflyingcars is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) noflyingcars is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) noflyingcars is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) noflyingcars is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) noflyingcars is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) noflyingcars is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) noflyingcars is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by Armbender View Post
    Thats actually incorrect...It is true that a shorter arm will have a better hook and a taller arm will have a better top-roll....however, there are huge disadvantages to having a tall arm if the opponent knows what he is doing...Id take a long arm anyday in a match...
    Well the more the hand is distant from the owner's shoulder the worse the leverage is.
    Ergo, with my long arm I'm bound to failure (like in 99% of the sports, dammit).

Should I rely on the top-roll then?
    Could you please explain it in more details/link to a good source?

If I understand correctly my aim is not to bring down his whole arm, but to bend his wrist first - (an arm with the wrist bended loses a great deal of strenght) ?

Originally Posted by noflyingcars View Post
    Well the more the hand is distant from the owner's shoulder the worse the leverage is.
    Ergo, with my long arm I'm bound to failure (like in 99% of the sports, dammit).

Should I rely on the top-roll then?
    Could you please explain it in more details/link to a good source?

If I understand correctly my aim is not to bring down his whole arm, but to bend his wrist first - (an arm with the wrist bended loses a great deal of strenght) ?
    correct...you should definatley be toprolling...

basically, when you set-up at the table right handed, pretend you have a glass of water in your right hand and you are trying to pour it in your left shirt pocket...thats a toproll..you drop your body down as you make this movement always keeping your hand a fist length away from your shoulder

My Training Journal -

bobjenkins777 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bobjenkins777 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bobjenkins777 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bobjenkins777 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bobjenkins777 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bobjenkins777 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bobjenkins777 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bobjenkins777 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bobjenkins777 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bobjenkins777 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bobjenkins777 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    LoL the arm breaks are horrible, oh the sound makes me cringe! So its usualy between the elbow and forearm?

Besides the obvious bad technique and not looking at ur hand, whats the cause weak bones ? or do people wit strong bones have these injuries too?

Originally Posted by bobjenkins777 View Post
    LoL the arm breaks are horrible, oh the sound makes me cringe! So its usualy between the elbow and forearm?

Besides the obvious bad technique and not looking at ur hand, whats the cause weak bones ? or do people wit strong bones have these injuries too?
    yeah, its normally between the elbow and shoulder...im certain that bone density is a major factor on wether it will break or not....but the biggest correlation is simply, bad form....which is primarily where all sport specific training injuries occur...

My Training Journal -

lacrosseks has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) lacrosseks has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) lacrosseks has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) lacrosseks has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) lacrosseks has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) lacrosseks has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) lacrosseks has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) lacrosseks has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) lacrosseks has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) lacrosseks has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) lacrosseks has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Originally Posted by swark View Post
    Thanks for the info.
    good to know