Rising_Phoenix has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Rising_Phoenix has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Rising_Phoenix has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

What am I doing wrong?

This is my first post. I've finally decided to take charge of my body, and develop it to its full potential. Many of the stories I have read in the forum have been very inspirational, and they made me want to change the way I do things for the better.

My story: I have never been too athletic, but I wasn't particularly weak. I have a small frame (at 6'0'' I usually have to wear M shirts and size 31 pants, have 6.25'' wrists, relatively narrow shoulders, etc.) Realistically, I have never been too glad about my physical appearance. This got worst in the past 10 years. After I met my wife, I started smoking and eating very unhealthy foods. At my lowest point I was smoking 3 packs of Marlboro 100's a day and eating probably 6000 calories+ a day of unhealthy foods (pasta, pizza, burgers, chips, etc.) I topped at around 214 lbs, which for my frame was way too much weight. I even applied for life term insurance when I was 28 yo and was denied. That should have been a wakeup call, but it wasn't...

One morning I woke up and decided that something had to change or I would be visiting the undertaker way ahead my time. I started cutting down on the unhealthy foods, and exercising sporadically. That worked. I went down from around 200 lbs to my current 174 lbs. I feel much better, but I am still unsatisfied about my physical shape. I started looking for information and found this forum. Now I am committed to do whatever it takes to be in the best shape I can be. Here is what I am doing at the moment:

Exercise:
    I exercise 6 days a week, and rest 1 day. I am using a set of adjustable dumbbells with 17.5 lbs per dumbbell (I know this might sound ridiculously low for you guys, but consider that I've never done this before.)

Day 1:
    Morning: Incline pushups (1 set to muscle failure, yesterday I did 70, max I have done
    has been 80.)
    Evening:Shoulders and chest, all at 17.5 lb per dumbbell:
    Military press (3 x 10)
    Lat raises (2 x 10)
    Alternating front deltoid raises (2 x 15)
    Bench presses (3 x 20)
    Day 2:
    Morning: Rest
    Evening: Back and biceps, all at 17.5 lb per dumbbell:
    Bent-over rows (2 x 15)
    Deadlifts (3 x 20)
    Standing bicep curls (3 x 20)
    Alternating hammer curls (2 x 15)
    Day 3:
    Morning:Incline pushups (1 set to muscle failure, around 75)
    Evening: Legs and core:
    Squats (3 x 30)
    Split Squats (3 x 30)
    Situps (2 x 40)
    Day 4: Same as Day 1, but no pushups in the morning
    Day 5: Same as Day 2, but pushups in the morning
    Day 6: Same as Day 3, but no pushups in the morning
    Day 7: Rest

Nutrition: I'm taking around 2200 calories/day, mostly protein, in around 5 meals a day.
    No suplements, except for 2 protein shakes a day (24 g. protein per shake.) Mostly eat salmon, sardines, cheese, chicken, cottage cheese, and milk. Carbs limited to raising bran with milk in the morning and sometimes at night.

I've been doing this for 3 weeks, and while I have the subjective feeling that my muscles are better toned, I am not seeing much increase in strength. For example, I'm having a hell of a time doing dumbbell lat raises at 17.5 lb per dumbbell, and 2 x 10 repetitions. The last few reps are not really good shape. It is a little discouraging, but I'm no giving up unless I'm dead. I want to know if someone has some advice. I apologize if this is a dumb question, I'm really new at all of this, and at some times it can get frustrating.

Thank you in advance for your answers!

novel1982 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Good to see youre trying to change your lifestyle! Congrats man. What kinda of cardio are you doing? If possible, invest in a weight set or a gym membership. Try taking a day off every three days instead of six to give your body some down time. Maybe just do cardio on those days. A barbell and plates would do wonders for you, as getting stronger in the main lifts will make your whole body grow. ( Bench, squats, deadlifts, and press)
    Most importantly, perhaps, don't get down on yourself and keep at it. This is a lifestyle change and it can take time to see drastic results. Just make it a part of your life and dont give up.
    Goodluck!

novel1982 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Psst... doing pullups will help out as well. Also, look up one of the beginner whole body workouts here in the forums to give yourself a good starting point to work with.

PIOT has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) PIOT has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) PIOT has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) PIOT has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) PIOT has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) PIOT has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) PIOT has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) PIOT has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) PIOT has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) PIOT has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) PIOT has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Since youre new to exercising, I woudnt jump into weight lifting right away. Firstly, Id focus on activities which target mutliple muscle groups... indoor rowing, jogging, power walking, swimming would be best...Eat healthier, improve your sleeping schedule... smoke less...easy to say hard to do but uh good luck matey

Joelift will become famous soon enough. (+50) Joelift will become famous soon enough. (+50) Joelift will become famous soon enough. (+50) Joelift will become famous soon enough. (+50) Joelift will become famous soon enough. (+50) Joelift will become famous soon enough. (+50) Joelift will become famous soon enough. (+50) Joelift will become famous soon enough. (+50) Joelift will become famous soon enough. (+50) Joelift will become famous soon enough. (+50) Joelift will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Rising_Phoenix View Post
    This is my first post. I've finally decided to take charge of my body, and develop it to its full potential. Many of the stories I have read in the forum have been very inspirational, and they made me want to change the way I do things for the better.

My story: I have never been too athletic, but I wasn't particularly weak. I have a small frame (at 6'0'' I usually have to wear M shirts and size 31 pants, have 6.25'' wrists, relatively narrow shoulders, etc.) Realistically, I have never been too glad about my physical appearance. This got worst in the past 10 years. After I met my wife, I started smoking and eating very unhealthy foods. At my lowest point I was smoking 3 packs of Marlboro 100's a day and eating probably 6000 calories+ a day of unhealthy foods (pasta, pizza, burgers, chips, etc.) I topped at around 214 lbs, which for my frame was way too much weight. I even applied for life term insurance when I was 28 yo and was denied. That should have been a wakeup call, but it wasn't...

One morning I woke up and decided that something had to change or I would be visiting the undertaker way ahead my time. I started cutting down on the unhealthy foods, and exercising sporadically. That worked. I went down from around 200 lbs to my current 174 lbs. I feel much better, but I am still unsatisfied about my physical shape. I started looking for information and found this forum. Now I am committed to do whatever it takes to be in the best shape I can be. Here is what I am doing at the moment:

Exercise:
    I exercise 6 days a week, and rest 1 day. I am using a set of adjustable dumbbells with 17.5 lbs per dumbbell (I know this might sound ridiculously low for you guys, but consider that I've never done this before.)

Day 1:
    Morning: Incline pushups (1 set to muscle failure, yesterday I did 70, max I have done
    has been 80.)
    Evening:Shoulders and chest, all at 17.5 lb per dumbbell:
    Military press (3 x 10)
    Lat raises (2 x 10)
    Alternating front deltoid raises (2 x 15)
    Bench presses (3 x 20)
    Day 2:
    Morning: Rest
    Evening: Back and biceps, all at 17.5 lb per dumbbell:
    Bent-over rows (2 x 15)
    Deadlifts (3 x 20)
    Standing bicep curls (3 x 20)
    Alternating hammer curls (2 x 15)
    Day 3:
    Morning:Incline pushups (1 set to muscle failure, around 75)
    Evening: Legs and core:
    Squats (3 x 30)
    Split Squats (3 x 30)
    Situps (2 x 40)
    Day 4: Same as Day 1, but no pushups in the morning
    Day 5: Same as Day 2, but pushups in the morning
    Day 6: Same as Day 3, but no pushups in the morning
    Day 7: Rest

Nutrition: I'm taking around 2200 calories/day, mostly protein, in around 5 meals a day.
    No suplements, except for 2 protein shakes a day (24 g. protein per shake.) Mostly eat salmon, sardines, cheese, chicken, cottage cheese, and milk. Carbs limited to raising bran with milk in the morning and sometimes at night.

I've been doing this for 3 weeks, and while I have the subjective feeling that my muscles are better toned, I am not seeing much increase in strength. For example, I'm having a hell of a time doing dumbbell lat raises at 17.5 lb per dumbbell, and 2 x 10 repetitions. The last few reps are not really good shape. It is a little discouraging, but I'm no giving up unless I'm dead. I want to know if someone has some advice. I apologize if this is a dumb question, I'm really new at all of this, and at some times it can get frustrating.

Thank you in advance for your answers!
    You have the motivation. You have a somewhat decent workout plan. Now, get the equipment or join a gym.

Of course your dumbbell lat raises are difficult. I use 35s for the same exercise, but when I bench with dumbbells I use 85s. I'm not bragging obviously, but I'm using my numbers to illustrate that using one dumbbell weight for every exercise isn't practical.

If you're getting every single rep of every single set, then you need more weight. That's a pretty fundamental weight training idea. My best advice to you would be to go join a gym and get a personal trainer, even if it's just for a week. Even a poor personal trainer can teach you some good fundamentals, and don't overlook the benefit of watching and talking with other people at a gym.

jdwhitney has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jdwhitney has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jdwhitney has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jdwhitney has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jdwhitney has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jdwhitney has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jdwhitney has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jdwhitney has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jdwhitney has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jdwhitney has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jdwhitney has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Its never too late to get started, so congrats on that. I'm not an expert by any means, but I can comment on a few things. First, you have to realize that limited to body weight exercises (like pushups) and 20 lbs dumbbells you are only going to progress so far. If that fits in with your goals, say of losing some weight and just being healthier, then great. However if you are wanting to add a lot of mass and strength you are probably going to need to invest in some more equipment or a gym membership. Don't worry at first about throwing up big weight (ref your comment on lat raises), its much better at first to start with something you can handle, get good form down, and move up in weights from there.

Rising_Phoenix has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Rising_Phoenix has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Rising_Phoenix has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by novel1982 View Post
    Good to see youre trying to change your lifestyle! Congrats man. What kinda of cardio are you doing? If possible, invest in a weight set or a gym membership. Try taking a day off every three days instead of six to give your body some down time. Maybe just do cardio on those days. A barbell and plates would do wonders for you, as getting stronger in the main lifts will make your whole body grow. ( Bench, squats, deadlifts, and press)
    Most importantly, perhaps, don't get down on yourself and keep at it. This is a lifestyle change and it can take time to see drastic results. Just make it a part of your life and dont give up.
    Goodluck!
    Thanks for replying, sir. Yeah, this is all a big change for me, but I'm sticking to it. One of my problems/virtues is that I am extremely stubborn. I've thought about taking one extra day of rest before, but now I think I'm going to follow your suggestion and do cardio 3 days a week and lifting 4 days a week.

Right now I'm not doing cardio on a consistent basis, but I plan on taking around 10 mile hikes every evening at a fast march pace. Got a few trails around my area that are great for this.

As far as the gym membership goes, I really do not belong to any gym. There is a gym in the apartments where I live, but I've never been to it (maybe I should.) I would rather invest in some equipment I can use at my place though. I'm seriously going to think about getting a barbell like you say. Didn't think about it being more beneficial than dumbbells, but if I follow what you say, the type of lifts that you use with a barbell might hit more muscle groups? I'll definitely look into it. And no, I'm not quitting from this, I know I'm embarked in a lifestyle change. And like I said before, I'm really REALLY stubborn.

Thanks again for your encouraging reply. I might be wrong but it sounds like you are serving our country. If so, I hope everything goes well for you and thank you for doing it.

Originally Posted by novel1982 View Post
    Psst... doing pullups will help out as well. Also, look up one of the beginner whole body workouts here in the forums to give yourself a good starting point to work with.
    I'm actually ordering a pullup bar in the next few days. Thanks again for your suggestions.

Originally Posted by PIOT View Post
    Since youre new to exercising, I woudnt jump into weight lifting right away. Firstly, Id focus on activities which target mutliple muscle groups... indoor rowing, jogging, power walking, swimming would be best...Eat healthier, improve your sleeping schedule... smoke less...easy to say hard to do but uh good luck matey
    Thanks for the suggestions man. I actually stopped smoking 3 months ago (It's been over 70 days now actually.) One of the best decisions I ever made. I've lost 20 lbs since then too, which I guess some people would consider an achievement, since it is normally easier to put weight when you quit smoking.

Yeah, I hear what you say about easing in into the weight lifting by doing other activities. Actually I'm gong to hike at a fast pace a few days a week for 8-10 miles. Probably 1.5 hour hikes or so. Does the power walking mean I need to swing my arms while I'm walking too?

I really do not want to cut on the weight lifting though. The thing is that I'm not wearing out my muscles (for example, last night I did the Day 1 routine, and my muscles are not even sore.) Kind of weird really. I think the problem might be that I need to do less reps with a much higher weight to tear some of the muscle fibers? I might be completely off base here though...

So do you smoke, or have smoked in the past too? I'm wondering because you mentioned that quitting is easier said than done as if you had direct knowledge of it. If you are still smoking, I would recommend you to quit. Yes, it is tough. But put it this way: You will need to quit eventually, so better do it now while you are ahead of the game.

Thank you for your suggestions.

PIOT has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) PIOT has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) PIOT has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) PIOT has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) PIOT has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) PIOT has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) PIOT has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) PIOT has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) PIOT has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) PIOT has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) PIOT has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I woudnt consider myself a smoker. I smoke cigars from time to time, but one of my family members has been smoking for over 16 years and 'quit' 4-6 times, meaning... they cant stay away from cigs for more than a omnth or two.
    Id suggest you watch an instructional video on power walking. I suggested it because it's easier on your joints than running yet effective at burning calories.

Originally Posted by Joelift View Post
    You have the motivation. You have a somewhat decent workout plan. Now, get the equipment or join a gym.

Of course your dumbbell lat raises are difficult. I use 35s for the same exercise, but when I bench with dumbbells I use 85s. I'm not bragging obviously, but I'm using my numbers to illustrate that using one dumbbell weight for every exercise isn't practical.

If you're getting every single rep of every single set, then you need more weight. That's a pretty fundamental weight training idea. My best advice to you would be to go join a gym and get a personal trainer, even if it's just for a week. Even a poor personal trainer can teach you some good fundamentals, and don't overlook the benefit of watching and talking with other people at a gym.
    Thank you for your advice. What you say about using different weights for different exercises makes sense. I wasn't even thinking about that, which I guess goes to show you how new I am at this... I hope I can use 35s for lat raises some day, that sounds unbelievable.

For many exercises I'm doing every single rep. For example, bench presses (but then again, like you said, it is a different exercise altogether so I should be using more weight for it to begin with.)

At the moment I can't afford to get a gym membership and get a trainer, but I will do this in the future. For now I will either need to use the gym at my apartment complex, or get some better equipment. I understand what you say about getting a lot of benefit from having a trainer and/or being able to see other people executing their exercises.

Gotta say you guys are giving all great advice, thanks very much, it's very encouraging!

Originally Posted by jdwhitney View Post
    Its never too late to get started, so congrats on that. I'm not an expert by any means, but I can comment on a few things. First, you have to realize that limited to body weight exercises (like pushups) and 20 lbs dumbbells you are only going to progress so far. If that fits in with your goals, say of losing some weight and just being healthier, then great. However if you are wanting to add a lot of mass and strength you are probably going to need to invest in some more equipment or a gym membership. Don't worry at first about throwing up big weight (ref your comment on lat raises), its much better at first to start with something you can handle, get good form down, and move up in weights from there.
    Thanks JD. The way I look at this, I actually feel quite fortunate that something woke up inside me to tell me I needed to change. I honestly don't feel it's too late at all. Strangely, after all the years of smoking and eating crap, I'm in really good shape for my age, I can lose fat easily, and I think I can build muscle relatively easily. So yes, I feel fortunate and I'm up for the battle anyway.

I understand what you say about the fact that I can only get that far with small weights and pushups. I intend to move things to the next level in a couple of months or so. At the moment I have lost tons of fat in a relatively short amount of time (4 months,) and what's even better, I haven't lost any muscle, but actually built some on top of it (but not a lot, obviously.)

Sometimes I lose some perspective and because I am very demanding with myself I suppose I want even faster results, so last night I was feeling like a worthless wimp when I was having troubles finishing the db lat raises sets. You guys have brought a lot of perspective into this. Thank you for your help.

I woudnt consider myself a smoker. I smoke cigars from time to time, but one of my family members has been smoking for over 16 years and 'quit' 4-6 times, meaning... they cant stay away from cigs for more than a omnth or two.
    Id suggest you watch an instructional video on power walking. I suggested it because it's easier on your joints than running yet effective at burning calories.
    I see. I hope your family member quits smoking for his/her own sake. I actually quit a few times before too, one time almost 1 year clean. But my wife also smoked, so it made it way too easy to fall off the wagon. But cigarettes are the Devil's stuff, I tell you. No benefit anyone can get from them whatsoever, just pain and suffering.

I'll look into the power walking stuff, thanks.

zephed56 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) zephed56 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) zephed56 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) zephed56 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) zephed56 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) zephed56 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) zephed56 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) zephed56 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) zephed56 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) zephed56 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) zephed56 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    lol stfu. Go ahead and lift dude.

zephed56 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) zephed56 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) zephed56 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) zephed56 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) zephed56 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) zephed56 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) zephed56 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) zephed56 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) zephed56 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) zephed56 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) zephed56 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I'm actually ordering a pullup bar in the next few days. Thanks again for your suggestions.
    I have the iron gym and would recommend it. It's just barely wide enough to fit the wider doorways, and it fits well on narrower doorways. It broke on me the first time I used it, but I exchanged it and haven't had problems since.

Also, learn how to squat and DL and all that stuff. I suggest Starting Strength (book or dvd).

PaC-mAn8 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) PaC-mAn8 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) PaC-mAn8 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) PaC-mAn8 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) PaC-mAn8 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) PaC-mAn8 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) PaC-mAn8 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) PaC-mAn8 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) PaC-mAn8 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) PaC-mAn8 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) PaC-mAn8 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I think you need to keep things simple right now.

Go with a simple Upper/Lower/Upper/Lower routine, and eat clean, but eat a good amount. Drink lots of water, take your vitamins, get good sleep, etc.

If you need help with anything, feel free to PM me anytime.

Originally Posted by zephed56 View Post
    I have the iron gym and would recommend it. It's just barely wide enough to fit the wider doorways, and it fits well on narrower doorways. It broke on me the first time I used it, but I exchanged it and haven't had problems since.

Also, learn how to squat and DL and all that stuff. I suggest Starting Strength (book or dvd).
    Great, that's the same brand pullup bar I was going to order. Specifically, this one:
    http://www.amazon.com/Iron-Gym-Total...4596865&sr=8-1

I seem to remember I was actually surprisingly good in Junior High when we used to do pullup sets. The last time I tried doing a pullup was at my cousin's place, he has a pullup bar built into the wall. At the time I was really overweight and out of shape, and since the bar was high I had to jump to grab it. It actually felt like someone had snapped my spine. I hope I can do better now.

I got a few Dumbbell books a couple of months ago before I started doing this, but nothing else. I'll check on the book that you suggest, thanks.

Originally Posted by PacMan8 View Post
    I think you need to keep things simple right now.

Go with a simple Upper/Lower/Upper/Lower routine, and eat clean, but eat a good amount. Drink lots of water, take your vitamins, get good sleep, etc.

If you need help with anything, feel free to PM me anytime.
    Thank you man, that's good advice. I think that's exactly what I'm doing (except eating, I'm eating too much protein and not enough veggies and fruits.) I will definitely try to be more disciplined about it though. I'm convinced consistency and discipline are the key to succeed.

+rep

jdwhitney has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jdwhitney has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jdwhitney has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jdwhitney has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jdwhitney has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jdwhitney has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jdwhitney has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jdwhitney has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jdwhitney has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jdwhitney has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jdwhitney has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

I got a few Dumbbell books a couple of months ago before I started doing this, but nothing else. I'll check on the book that you suggest, thanks.
    Most of what's in Starting Strength can already be found here in the forums. So no real need to spend money buying it.

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=998224

There are several similar programs for beginners that you can find in this forum such as.

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=4195843
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=6398381
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=112649251

Most of what's in Starting Strength can already be found here in the forums. So no real need to spend money buying it.

There are several similar programs for beginners that you can find in this forum such as.

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=4195843
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=6398381
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=112649251
    This is all great, thanks a lot for pointing it out! There is so much information in here that sometimes it is a little overwhelming to decide where to start. I'll definitely dig into it and start building on my program.

No, and it's not even close. This has the program written in it, with the stupid barbell rows sub, but does not include anything even close to resembling what is in the book. The book has detailed explanations of the basic lifts, which is far more important than the routine inside.