mickel32 is on a distinguished road. (+10) mickel32 is on a distinguished road. (+10) mickel32 is on a distinguished road. (+10) mickel32 is on a distinguished road. (+10) mickel32 is on a distinguished road. (+10) mickel32 is on a distinguished road. (+10) mickel32 is on a distinguished road. (+10) mickel32 is on a distinguished road. (+10) mickel32 is on a distinguished road. (+10) mickel32 is on a distinguished road. (+10) mickel32 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Exclamation is it REALLY a good idea to cook with protein powder?

CLIFFS:
    does the heat from cooking your food affect PROTEIN POWDER negatively, when it is added to the recipe for increased protein content.

is it REALLY a good idea to cook with protein powder?

I have been looking into many recipes that appear to be healthy, and sound delicious. However, I am worried that cooking the protein powder might have a negative effect.

Think about it, we buy this expensive protein powder, that has been processed in a cold facility (to preserve its nutritional value). Then after everyone makes sure the protein is perfect for absorbtion and such, I am told that it IS a good idea to blend this powder in with my foods that are to be cooked at temperatures of 200 degrees Fahrenheit (or more). This does not chemically, physically, or logically make any sense to me.

(I have been told) There is plenty of research that shows protein is less effective when heated beyond a certain temperature. There is also plenty of recipes instructing me to heat this protein up to unknown temperatures (The recipe does not say "heat to 99 degrees because any higher and you will render the product useless." - for example).

CLIFFS:
    does the heat from cooking your food affect PROTEIN POWDER negatively, when it is added to the recipe for increased protein content.

Last edited by mickel32; 06-06-2009 at 11:20 PM.
    RESPECT all FEAR none. The Iron never lies.

owereps:Glimmero
    -----------------------------------
    Lemon, PW, "Do athletes need more dietary protein and amino acids?"International J. Sports Nutri. S39-61, 1995. more info: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/7550257
    3x5 started today (Tue, May 4, 2010) (~180lbs)

jeremyleinen is just really nice. (+1000) jeremyleinen is just really nice. (+1000) jeremyleinen is just really nice. (+1000) jeremyleinen is just really nice. (+1000) jeremyleinen is just really nice. (+1000) jeremyleinen is just really nice. (+1000) jeremyleinen is just really nice. (+1000) jeremyleinen is just really nice. (+1000) jeremyleinen is just really nice. (+1000) jeremyleinen is just really nice. (+1000) jeremyleinen is just really nice. (+1000)
    I don't know about the rest, but food is rarely cooked to a temperature much higher than 165 degrees. Just because water boils at 212 doesn't mean most food is served at that high of a temperature. Well done chicken and beef is 165 degrees, seafood is usually not cooked much higher than 140-145(feel sorry for whoever is eating it if it is).

Additionally, heat isn't the only thing that will denature proteins- besides heat, so will cold and salt(try to use seasoned egg whites for a consomme and see how miserably it fails). Now, how all this specifically applies to protein powder in the kitchen I have no idea. For one thing, I've neverr done it professionally, and I've never seen an article from somebody like Harold Mcgee addressing it.
    Last edited by jeremyleinen; 06-06-2009 at 11:31 PM.

mer-der-ah is just really nice. (+1000) mer-der-ah is just really nice. (+1000) mer-der-ah is just really nice. (+1000) mer-der-ah is just really nice. (+1000) mer-der-ah is just really nice. (+1000) mer-der-ah is just really nice. (+1000) mer-der-ah is just really nice. (+1000) mer-der-ah is just really nice. (+1000) mer-der-ah is just really nice. (+1000) mer-der-ah is just really nice. (+1000) mer-der-ah is just really nice. (+1000)
    i dunno how much loss there may be, but i'm tellin ya, a scoop or two of vanilla myofusion in your pancakes is orgasmic. don't just do it for the protein, do it for the taste too! (hint not to use crappy flavored protein lol)

singlesculler has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) singlesculler has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Good question. i dont know the answer, but personally i would just take the protein seperatly if your worried about it denaturing mate.
    I live to row.

Balls-Attitude-Direction joeflex73's Avatar
    joeflex73 is just really nice. (+1000) joeflex73 is just really nice. (+1000) joeflex73 is just really nice. (+1000) joeflex73 is just really nice. (+1000) joeflex73 is just really nice. (+1000) joeflex73 is just really nice. (+1000) joeflex73 is just really nice. (+1000) joeflex73 is just really nice. (+1000) joeflex73 is just really nice. (+1000) joeflex73 is just really nice. (+1000) joeflex73 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Everyone throws out the word denature and acts like it ruins the protein. All food breaks down when cooked. Sure, there are levels of how far, however if your not eating charcoal you'll be fine. When you cook a steak, does it not break down some? Think about it for a second. If cooking food ruined proteins, we'd eat everything raw.

Unflavored Whey protein can be added to baked goods, pancake batter, muffin mix, and pizza crust. You can expect a change in texture though. You can make pancakes using just Blueberries and Cream Muscle Milk and water. Damn good too.
    The No BS Guide to Caloric Intake, Cutting and Bulking by joeflex73
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=107459791

Love football?: http://goallineblitz.com/game/signup.pl?ref=14748563

in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Does it? In an absolute sense, yes. Microfractions would likely be denatured to some degree. But denaturing is what your stomach does anyway, and whether or not they will end up surviving the digestive process is another story.

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpo...51&postcount=5
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

jphansen is a name known to all. (+5000) jphansen is a name known to all. (+5000) jphansen is a name known to all. (+5000) jphansen is a name known to all. (+5000) jphansen is a name known to all. (+5000) jphansen is a name known to all. (+5000) jphansen is a name known to all. (+5000) jphansen is a name known to all. (+5000) jphansen is a name known to all. (+5000) jphansen is a name known to all. (+5000) jphansen is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Interesting topic. You may be able to reference pasteurization for some information: times and temperatures at which you can cook milk and it retain its protein (whey).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pasteur...zation_of_milk

-MSR9889- is a name known to all. (+5000) -MSR9889- is a name known to all. (+5000) -MSR9889- is a name known to all. (+5000) -MSR9889- is a name known to all. (+5000) -MSR9889- is a name known to all. (+5000) -MSR9889- is a name known to all. (+5000) -MSR9889- is a name known to all. (+5000) -MSR9889- is a name known to all. (+5000) -MSR9889- is a name known to all. (+5000) -MSR9889- is a name known to all. (+5000) -MSR9889- is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by jphansen View Post
    Interesting topic. You may be able to reference pasteurization for some information: times and temperatures at which you can cook milk and it retain its protein (whey).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pasteur...zation_of_milk
    pasteurization destroys the enzymes and i believe the nutrients in milk which is why everything has to be "fortified." pretty sure you get almost nothing out of regular store bought milk.
    We think we know, that is our tragedy; so we never discover.

rhizome has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rhizome has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rhizome has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rhizome has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rhizome has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rhizome has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rhizome has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rhizome has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rhizome has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rhizome has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rhizome has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by -MSR9889- View Post
    pasteurization destroys the enzymes and i believe the nutrients in milk which is why everything has to be "fortified." pretty sure you get almost nothing out of regular store bought milk.
    Incorrect.

Take off your tin foil hat and stop being a conspiracy parrot.

jphansen is a name known to all. (+5000) jphansen is a name known to all. (+5000) jphansen is a name known to all. (+5000) jphansen is a name known to all. (+5000) jphansen is a name known to all. (+5000) jphansen is a name known to all. (+5000) jphansen is a name known to all. (+5000) jphansen is a name known to all. (+5000) jphansen is a name known to all. (+5000) jphansen is a name known to all. (+5000) jphansen is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by -MSR9889- View Post
    I know that fat is separated and re-added (making it possible to produce skim, 1%, 2%, etc.), but I wasn't aware of this.

-MSR9889- is a name known to all. (+5000) -MSR9889- is a name known to all. (+5000) -MSR9889- is a name known to all. (+5000) -MSR9889- is a name known to all. (+5000) -MSR9889- is a name known to all. (+5000) -MSR9889- is a name known to all. (+5000) -MSR9889- is a name known to all. (+5000) -MSR9889- is a name known to all. (+5000) -MSR9889- is a name known to all. (+5000) -MSR9889- is a name known to all. (+5000) -MSR9889- is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by rhizome View Post
    Incorrect.

Take off your tin foil hat and stop being a conspiracy parrot.
    lol, enlighten me. you always post answers like this with no reasoning, back up, etc.

theyre are so many proven unhealthy things about pasteurized milk it amazes me more people dont know.

as for the initial topic of this thread, i wont pretend to know as much as in10city, but ive learned that things such as microwaving or cooking with high heat on a stovetop damages protein. while there is great room for debate as far as microwaving affecting nutritional value, its been proven microwaved foods affect hemoglobin levels which is reason enough for me to not use one when i dont have to. what would you say in regard to this?
    Last edited by -MSR9889-; 06-07-2009 at 08:06 AM.
    We think we know, that is our tragedy; so we never discover.

By any means necessary VastAire's Avatar
    VastAire is on a distinguished road. (+10) VastAire is on a distinguished road. (+10) VastAire is on a distinguished road. (+10) VastAire is on a distinguished road. (+10) VastAire is on a distinguished road. (+10) VastAire is on a distinguished road. (+10) VastAire is on a distinguished road. (+10) VastAire is on a distinguished road. (+10) VastAire is on a distinguished road. (+10) VastAire is on a distinguished road. (+10) VastAire is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by mer-der-ah View Post
    i dunno how much loss there may be, but i'm tellin ya, a scoop or two of vanilla myofusion in your pancakes is orgasmic. don't just do it for the protein, do it for the taste too! (hint not to use crappy flavored protein lol)
    Real good in belgian waffle mix too. I also put protein powder in unflavored oatmeal. Whenever I make it at work people are always like, "Man that smells so good, what is it?" I don't really care if microwaving has a negative effect on the protein, the most I ever use is about a spoonful.

OfficerCartman is just really nice. (+1000) OfficerCartman is just really nice. (+1000) OfficerCartman is just really nice. (+1000) OfficerCartman is just really nice. (+1000) OfficerCartman is just really nice. (+1000) OfficerCartman is just really nice. (+1000) OfficerCartman is just really nice. (+1000) OfficerCartman is just really nice. (+1000) OfficerCartman is just really nice. (+1000) OfficerCartman is just really nice. (+1000) OfficerCartman is just really nice. (+1000)
    Optimum Nutrition 100% Any Whey Questions Answers

100% ANY WHEY Protein is a new type of protein supplement that can be added to foods and beverages to boost protein levels. Just one scoop increases the protein content by 17 grams. 100% ANY WHEY Protein consists of a blend of whey protein isolate, whey protein concentrate, and whey protein hydrolysate. Because the blend is derived entirely from whey, it is rapidly digested and made available to your body shortly after ingestion. In addition to being a high-quality protein source, 100% ANY WHEY Protein also provides branched chain amino acids (BCAAs) and the valuable amino acid, glutamine. BCAAs and glutamine contribute significantly to muscle growth, recovery, and a healthy immune system.

100% ANY WHEY Protein is a virtually flavorless protein supplement, so in most cases you won't even notice the difference when you add it to your recipes and beverages. That's another attractive aspect - the versatility. 100% ANY WHEY Protein can be added to everything from beverages to baked goods. The possibilities are practically endless.

Q: How is 100% ANY WHEY Protein different from other protein supplements?

A: Like other protein supplements, 100% ANY WHEY Protein can be used to make protein shakes, but with this innovative product you have more creative freedom. Instead of having the same chocolate protein shake day after day, with 100% ANY WHEY Protein you are the flavor authority and you have the ability to alter the flavor of your protein shake. (See "Recipes Section" for suggestions) In addition, 100% ANY WHEY Protein is optimized for cooking and can be used in quick foods, baked goods, and cooking recipes.

Moreover, to make 100% ANY WHEY Protein tasteless, we had to omit all of the artificial flavors, colors, and sweeteners. By eliminating these extras, 100% ANY WHEY Protein yields only 70 calories per serving with 1 gram of carbohydrates, and absolutely no sugar.

Q: Who can benefit from using 100% ANY WHEY Protein?

A: 100% ANY WHEY Protein can be used by a wide variety of individuals ranging from advanced supplement users to dieters. For those advanced users who have been drinking shakes and eating bars for so long that even their favorites don't appeal to them any more, 100% ANY WHEY Protein is a perfect solution. This new product breaks up the monotony of drinks and bars, and doesn't include all of the fat, saturated fat, and carbohydrates that typically accompany high-protein foods. Dieters will love 100% ANY WHEY Protein because of the low levels of calories, carbohydrates, and sugar.

A third group of individuals can benefit from using this exciting product too - people who have trouble controlling their blood glucose levels. Since 100% ANY WHEY Protein is almost all protein, it has a lower glycemic index. In effect, it may help lower the insulin-raising effect of starchy foods and ultimately lower the user's blood glucose level.

Q: I heard that high temperatures "break down" protein. Will the cooking/baking process have a negative effect on the protein?

A: While it's true that proteins can be denatured by heat, unless the protein structure is particularly delicate or exposed to extremely high temperatures for extended periods of time, any denaturation that takes place is likely to be minimal. It is also important to keep in mind that denatured DOES NOT equal non-nutritious or unavailable - denaturation simply refers to a situation where the physical or chemical structure of a protein is rearranged. In some cases the denaturation process is temporary (e.g. whipping egg whites into a foam); in others, such as when you fry an egg, the denaturation is permanent. In both situations, the egg contains the same amino acid makeup and is equally nutritious. In fact, the fried egg is actually slightly more nutritious when cooked because cooking inactivates a component that binds the essential B-vitamin biotin. That said, while denaturation does not alter the nutritive value of proteins, excessive heat can reduce or destroy delicate peptides (i.e. microfractions) within a protein. For this reason, it is best to limit the exposure of 100% ANY WHEY Protein to high heat, and cook with lower temperatures whenever possible. In other words, add 100% ANY WHEY Protein at the end of the cooking cycle whenever possible, and choose lower temperature cooking like microwaving and baking over higher heat methods like pan or deep-frying
    I avoid applying direct heat to whey when I can
    No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training...what a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable.

Socrates (469 - 399 BC)

mickel32 is on a distinguished road. (+10) mickel32 is on a distinguished road. (+10) mickel32 is on a distinguished road. (+10) mickel32 is on a distinguished road. (+10) mickel32 is on a distinguished road. (+10) mickel32 is on a distinguished road. (+10) mickel32 is on a distinguished road. (+10) mickel32 is on a distinguished road. (+10) mickel32 is on a distinguished road. (+10) mickel32 is on a distinguished road. (+10) mickel32 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    ok... thanks

i will just try making sure i dont use too much heat.
    idk what too much is, but il try finding out
    RESPECT all FEAR none. The Iron never lies.

owereps:Glimmero
    Lemon, PW, "Do athletes need more dietary protein and amino acids?"International J. Sports Nutri. S39-61, 1995. more info: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/7550257
    3x5 started today (Tue, May 4, 2010) (~180lbs)