Shatterproof has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Protein shake lifespan after mixing

Hey guys, I was told by a friend who also takes protein that protein shakes are only useful if you drink them within 30 mins of mixing the powder with water. He claimed that the protein itself begins to alter after being in solution for 30 mins, rendering it less useful to the body. I have never heard such a thing, especially since I am a Biomedical Science student, although I am used to working with DNA and the like, not modified whey based protein blends. I am using ON Nutrition 100% Gold Standard Whey. I feel he may be getting his information confused with the 30 minute time zone post workout in which you are apparently recommended to consume protein to maximise recovery. It seems silly what he is saying as protein doesnt just spontaneously change when in the body, it requires enzymes and organelles/heat so I dont see why it should change when in water (unless something remains in the powder from the manufacturing process which could alter it once it is rehydrated).

I guess my first question is: Is a protein shake which was mixed with water (obviously re-shaken just before drinking) over 2 hours ago just as good for you as one which was mixed with water 5 minutes ago? How long after being added to water is the shake nutritionally useful? Does it change the longer I leave it in water?

I often mix my protein shake before I go to the gym so there are no chunks in it for when I am finished, so I just give it a quick shake and hey presto, its the most drinkable it gets. Secondly, I sometimes mix 3 scoops with 24 fl oz of water and drink it on the go with my small meals when at work (I am working as a waiter over the summer and the food is relatively protein poor, so I choose to bolster my protein intake with a couple of doses throughout the day).

My second question is: Is my consumption of protein shakes in the day while I am working useful at all or am I just pouring money down the drain?

My third question: If I make a protein shake with 3 scoops, taking one after the gym, going straight to work, having one about 3 hours after the gym, then one at the end of my shift which would be about midnight-1am is the shake still going to be the same shake around 6 hours after it was first added to water, or will the protein have changed into something less desirable or less optimised for consumption?

Any answers are greatly appreciated, obviously I can answer questions about Biomedical Science (and provide information through reading research journals supplied by my university) out of anyones curiosity in return, I just find my questions are going to be best answered by you guys rather than trawling through unfamiliar texts at university myself! Just as a bit of info, I train 3-4 times a week and live between 2 houses, a job, a university course and a family - my life is quite hectic, so it is tough getting the protein from proper food, as I never know where I will end up! I usually go to the gym shortly before work and try to take a snack like a sandwich and some stolen food when I am working. I am intolerant to a lot of protein powders and I guess I got lucky with this one, but it does have lactase and protease in the powder, so could it be breaking down the protein in the drink to something simpler while its sitting there or is it fine and I have nothing to worry about?
    Last edited by Shatterproof; 06-05-2009 at 05:21 PM.

Murr1525 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Murr1525 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Murr1525 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Murr1525 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Murr1525 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Murr1525 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Murr1525 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Murr1525 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Murr1525 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Murr1525 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Murr1525 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    1. Yes, protein will last longer than 30 min in water.

2. 3 scoops sounds kind of like a lot in one shake? You might want to add something like oats, etc into the "snack" shakes, to make them a bit more filling, instead of just loads of protein.

3. Not sure what you mean exactly, th shake will be fine.

AlphaStyles has a spectacular aura about. (+250) AlphaStyles has a spectacular aura about. (+250) AlphaStyles has a spectacular aura about. (+250) AlphaStyles has a spectacular aura about. (+250) AlphaStyles has a spectacular aura about. (+250) AlphaStyles has a spectacular aura about. (+250) AlphaStyles has a spectacular aura about. (+250) AlphaStyles has a spectacular aura about. (+250) AlphaStyles has a spectacular aura about. (+250) AlphaStyles has a spectacular aura about. (+250) AlphaStyles has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    sounds pretty ridiculous. when i worked a warehouse job for 3 months. i'd blend a shake in the morning for breakfast with my eggs, then blend up another that i kept in a thermos to have on my 15 minute break...

while i watched my obese coworkers stuff their faces with cheetos and mountain dew from the vending machines. every day i felt an intense urge to just facepalm

bob129 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    think your mate mite be confused with the properties of Creatine. Not exactly sure how much time it takes, but i know that creatine breaks down in water into creatinine which is just a waste product and useless to the body...

RuckstaR is a jewel in the rough. (+500) RuckstaR is a jewel in the rough. (+500) RuckstaR is a jewel in the rough. (+500) RuckstaR is a jewel in the rough. (+500) RuckstaR is a jewel in the rough. (+500) RuckstaR is a jewel in the rough. (+500) RuckstaR is a jewel in the rough. (+500) RuckstaR is a jewel in the rough. (+500) RuckstaR is a jewel in the rough. (+500) RuckstaR is a jewel in the rough. (+500) RuckstaR is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    You buddy is completely misinformed.

Whey does not magically break down within 30 minutes of mixing.

Besides food safety concerns, I am quite willing to bet that a shake would maintain integrity after being mixed and refridgerated for days.
    I OWE: JohnnyChristian
    negs:
    OWES ME:

Originally Posted by Murr1525 View Post
    1. Yes, protein will last longer than 30 min in water.

2. 3 scoops sounds kind of like a lot in one shake? You might want to add something like oats, etc into the "snack" shakes, to make them a bit more filling, instead of just loads of protein.

3. Not sure what you mean exactly, th shake will be fine.
    I meant I would make 1 shake of around 24fl oz of water and 3 scoops and drink one third of it at a time at different intervals of the day, I would be eating other things on shift (the desserts stand has oatmeal crumble for the desserts, I often 'borrow' a handfull of it :P )

He seems quite certain, but it seems like I should listen to my own common sense as well as the experience of 3 other guys than a friend who gets a majority of his knowledge from magazines.

If anyone begs to differ or has seen/read a source which he may have got this from or a potential basis for my friends comments I am all ears and by no means closed-minded, otherwise, thanks for helping me resolving my questions, positive rep left for all!

Murr1525 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Murr1525 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Murr1525 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Murr1525 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Murr1525 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Murr1525 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Murr1525 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Murr1525 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Murr1525 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Murr1525 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Murr1525 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by Shatterproof View Post
    I meant I would make 1 shake of around 24fl oz of water and 3 scoops and drink one third of it at a time at different intervals of the day, I would be eating other things on shift (the desserts stand has oatmeal crumble for the desserts, I often 'borrow' a handfull of it :P )
    Even so, 3 scoops, plus a fourth if you work out, is quite a lot to not be coming from food. If you really want to keep up on the shakes, I would look into something like cassien before bed, to help you spread out the protein intake more, and help you cut back some during the day.

Unless you find the protein that much cheaper, I would be looking at yogurt, cottage chese, etc as at least one protein snack during the day.